Journey is utter brilliance

Dec 14, 2009
Arina Love said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Arina Love said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Arina Love said:
one and a half hour for 15$? Sounds like ripoff to me. Pass.
Do you not subscribe to the idea of 'quality over quantity'?
No i don't i weight my interest with how long game is and then consider to buy or not. One and a half hour for 15$ is a ripoff to me. i could save that money and put it towards some future J-RPG that will last me ~40 hours and quality is subjective Journey don't look that interesting to me well at lest not 15$ interesting if it were 4-5$ i would considered it.
Out of curiosity, how much does a new film cost where you live?

Because 10 quid is about right for a DVD release over here and Journey is about as long as a feature film.
I watched John Carter today for 5.08 USD and can buy dvd for some new films for 11-12$ said that i rarely buy films on dvd. I watch them in movie theater.
Hey that's fine, it's your money, and if you don't feel that it's worth it, then that's your prerogative.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
MisterShine said:
I'd agree with the OP, adding only the caveat that the game does not take very long to complete and is 15 dollars.

It's a sublime experience for how long it lasts, but just know what you're getting into.
How short are we talking, here? A decent movie, a COD Campaign, a long remix of Inna Gadda Da Vidda?
its about 90 minutes. i know, thats really short but it takes advantage of every second. besides, i dare you to only play it once

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
00slash00 said:
Arina Love said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Arina Love said:
one and a half hour for 15$? Sounds like ripoff to me. Pass.
Do you not subscribe to the idea of 'quality over quantity'?
No i don't. One and a half hour for 15$ is a ripoff to me. i could save that money and put it towards some future J-RPG that will last me ~40 hours and quality is subjective Journey don't look that interesting to me will at lest not 15$ interesting if it were 4-5 i would considered it.
honestly, i think its silly the base a games worth on how long it is. i mean i can understand having a hard time justifying a purchase of something that wont last long (ive passed on games because of their short length) but most people will likely play it more than once. journey is a very deep and beautiful game with a story that is heavy with metaphor. personally, id rather have a game thats short but takes advantage of every second, than a long game that drags things out just so it can reach a certain length. but i do understand that its a gamble and i cant promise that you will love it as much as i did because everyone is different. i would encourage you to read more about it before making up your mind though.
For me it's different, because i live in country where console gaming hobbie is very expensive indeed. New games cost 80-85$ so i can't write-off game length when i play 80$ for a game i need games to last (good for me that i like J-rpgs and they are long!) So people here tend to have different mentality about game length (very important aspect for me). That's why i can't justify 1.5 hour for 15$. Maybe i will pick it up in a year or so, once it on sale.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm inclined to see what it is, and your post has swayed into the "sooner" rather than "later" side of things. Is there a demo, do you know?

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Arina Love said:
For me it's different, because i live in country where console gaming hobbie is very expensive indeed. New games cost 80-85$ so i can't write-off game length when i play 80$ for a game i need games to last (good for me that i like J-rpgs and they are long!) So people here tend to have different mentality about game length (very important aspect for me). That's why i can't justify 1.5 hour for 15$. Maybe i will pick it up in a year or so, once it on sale.
i can understand that. i mean i dont want to come off like im trying to force you to get it or anything. i just really loved the game, but i respect your decision. but if you ever see it on sale for a price that seems more reasonable to you, i highly recommend it (and im sure a recommendation from someone you have never met, in a completely different part of the world, means a lot haha)

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Edit: Nvm, the engine is made by Sony but some games that use it are multiplatform. Though I also believe Journey is part of an exclusive deal.

OT: I might get it... It looks really good. Would love a Playstation Vita version, it says the engine it uses supports the Vita.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
As you may or may not have noticed, I like Okami. The game is gorgeous and oozes character with an amzing sountrack to boot.

Journey is my new Okami, it is gaming in it's purest form, it isn't trying too hard to be 'artsy', it isn't pretentious and it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

The 'multiplayer' is implemented brilliantly, appealing to our desire for companionship, but isn't essential. In all my years of playing videogames, I've never had such an emotional attachment with a stranger before, an experience shared without passing a single word.

The game looks gorgeous, the lighting is brilliant and I've never been so impressed by sand. The whole time I was in the desert, I just felt warm, while the snowy mountain was unforgiving harshness, me and my companion, huddling together, wondering if we'd get through this.

I wasn't following this game, I went in with no expectations and was rewarded with a truly brilliant gaming experience.

This isn't a review, just my opinion of the game, so feel free to share your thoughts too. If you have a PS3, you owe it to yourself to pick this up.

You won't be disappointed.
i played it today as soon as i got home from work. as soon as i finished it i wanted to play it again. i dont think i have ever played a game that has been so worth the wait. when i first met my companion i was kind of bothered that they were there. i felt in competition with the person for some reason, even though they can do nothing but help you. as the game went on i found myself comforted by their presence and by the end i felt upset and almost nervous any time they werent nearby. its amazing how strong a bond i felt with someone who i couldnt even talk to.

.....dammit, i need to go play it again

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
I wish I had a PS3 for Journey and a few other titles. Alas, I cannot play it though for I have no PS3. Okami was great though, my lady friend asked me what character she should draw just to practice and I pointed out Amaterasu.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
It looks great I'm hearing nothing but good things. Maybe I'm a cheap bastard but I'll be waiting a year or so for that $15 price tag to drop.

Dec 14, 2009
00slash00 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
As you may or may not have noticed, I like Okami. The game is gorgeous and oozes character with an amzing sountrack to boot.

Journey is my new Okami, it is gaming in it's purest form, it isn't trying too hard to be 'artsy', it isn't pretentious and it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

The 'multiplayer' is implemented brilliantly, appealing to our desire for companionship, but isn't essential. In all my years of playing videogames, I've never had such an emotional attachment with a stranger before, an experience shared without passing a single word.

The game looks gorgeous, the lighting is brilliant and I've never been so impressed by sand. The whole time I was in the desert, I just felt warm, while the snowy mountain was unforgiving harshness, me and my companion, huddling together, wondering if we'd get through this.

I wasn't following this game, I went in with no expectations and was rewarded with a truly brilliant gaming experience.

This isn't a review, just my opinion of the game, so feel free to share your thoughts too. If you have a PS3, you owe it to yourself to pick this up.

You won't be disappointed.
i played it today as soon as i got home from work. as soon as i finished it i wanted to play it again. i dont think i have ever played a game that has been so worth the wait. when i first met my companion i was kind of bothered that they were there. i felt in competition with the person for some reason, even though they can do nothing but help you. as the game went on i found myself comforted by their presence and by the end i felt upset and almost nervous any time they werent nearby. its amazing how strong a bond i felt with someone who i couldnt even talk to.

.....dammit, i need to go play it again
I actually went through a very similar experience.

What? Who is this person and why are they in my game? Followed by some competition, like racing to the bottom of the sand dunes etc.

Then when we got to the rock dragon things, I felt a need to keep close to them, both of us sharing the same cover from it's gaze.

Then on the mountain, huddling together.

It was just, amazing.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I was going to buy Journey today, but I left my wallet in my locker at school. That's what I get for wanting a muffin. Been waiting for the game since I first saw it in 2010. The price is pretty steep for a 2-3 hour game, but it's just so enchanting.

Though funny you said that Journey is your new Okami, since Okami is my favourite game. We shall see. Indeed we shall see.

Dec 14, 2009
Raggedstar said:
I was going to buy Journey today, but I left my wallet in my locker at school. That's what I get for wanting a muffin. Been waiting for the game since I first saw it in 2010. The price is pretty steep for a 2-3 hour game, but it's just so enchanting.

Though funny you said that Journey is your new Okami, since Okami is my favourite game. We shall see. Indeed we shall see.
It's my Okami, in the sense that it has a very appealing aesthetic and some unique mechanics, brilliant music and very unlikely to be bought by the 'CoD crowd'.

It never forgets that it's a game, *cough*DearEsther*cough*, and the companion mechanic is just a brilliant sociological aspect to the game.

Also like Okami, the game isn't pretentious, it's very...

Humble.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
It's titles like this that make me wish my ps3 hadn't died on me... :'(

I have my tax refund coming, though. More than enough for a ps3. Thank goodness they're so cheap nowadays. :)

Been waiting for this game for awhile!

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
You know, I have a PSN card sitting at home and my girlfriend really wants to get Journey with this. I might play it eventually but right now that brand of minimalism in gameplay is the last thing I'm looking for in a game. I might just be content with watching my gf play it.

I do adore the artsyle, though, and makes me crave an HD Wind Waker.

Dec 14, 2009
AyreonMaiden said:
You know, I have a PSN card sitting at home and my girlfriend really wants to get Journey with this. I might play it eventually but right now that brand of minimalism in gameplay is the last thing I'm looking for in a game. I might just be content with watching my gf play it.

It's actually not that minimalist. Some of the environments get really detailed.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
AyreonMaiden said:

It's actually not that minimalist. Some of the environments get really detailed.
Oh I meant in the gameplay. I've avoided media on this game, but lately I saw a clip of gameplay from a review, and it felt like you just sorta walk until Poignant Things For Which You Draw Your Own Conclusion happen.

Are there puzzles and stuff that kinda make the traversing interesting?

Dec 14, 2009
AyreonMaiden said:
Daystar Clarion said:
AyreonMaiden said:

Oh I meant in the gameplay. I've avoided media on this game, but lately I saw a clip of gameplay from a review, and it felt like you just sorta walk until Poignant Things For Which You Draw Your Own Conclusion happen.

Are there puzzles and stuff that kinda make the traversing interesting?
There's quit a bit of platfforming, some amazing flight sequences and you get to shred it down a sand dune through a huge lost city.

It's still a game, no need to worry about that.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
There's quit a bit of platfforming, some amazing flight sequences and you get to shred it down a sand dune through a huge lost city.

It's still a game, no need to worry about that.
That's comforting to hear! I'll definitely play it in the future. I'll let the gf have first go at it when I get it this weekend.