Journey is utter brilliance

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
As you may or may not have noticed, I like Okami.
Honestly over the years ive been seeing you post on theese forums i think the only way someone would not know that you liked Okami is if they somehow missed your posts or were sadly unaware of the games existence.

Now when my bank finally gets around to sending me a new card, i will buy it and then dive right into it. No expectations, close to no prior knowledge other than knowing theese people made flOw and Flower.

Dec 14, 2009
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
As you may or may not have noticed, I like Okami.
Honestly over the years ive been seeing you post on theese forums i think the only way someone would not know that you liked Okami is if they somehow missed your posts or were sadly unaware of the games existence.

Now when my bank finally gets around to sending me a new card, i will buy it and then dive right into it. No expectations, close to no prior knowledge other than knowing theese people made flOw and Flower.
I don't mention it that often do I? :D

I never actually played flOw or Flower, so I too, went in with no expectations. I feel like a child while playing it, and that's always a great experience.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Oooh Journey's out now?! Cool. I've just started back at uni, but I'll try to find some time in between study to play it. I've been waiting for this for ages.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
That's the beauty of it.

Until the very end of the game, you have no clue who you've been travelling with (a list appears with the names and symbols of those you travelled with).
I know, that is why I said maybe. The idea of forming a connection with another player through adventure alone, without ever knowing who they are, sounds lovely to me. The freedom around it (as you may come across someone, only to never see them again) just makes it even better.

And that's only the co-op mechanic. I haven't played it yet, but the aesthetics, music and simply the overall feel of it already sound amazing to me. I loved Flower, so I'm sure I'll really love this too.

Dec 14, 2009
SpaceBat said:
Daystar Clarion said:
That's the beauty of it.

Until the very end of the game, you have no clue who you've been travelling with (a list appears with the names and symbols of those you travelled with).
I know, that is why I said maybe. The idea of forming a connection with another player through adventure alone, without ever knowing who they are, sounds lovely to me. The freedom around it (as you may come across someone, only to never see them again) just makes it even better.

And that's only the co-op mechanic. I haven't played it yet, but the aesthetics, music and simply the overall feel of it already sound amazing to me. I loved Flower, so I'm sure I'll really love this too.
It's some of the best music I've heard in a game. Comparable to Shadow of the Colossus in awesomeness.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I never actually played flOw or Flower, so I too, went in with no expectations.
You never played Flower? You really should, especially if you like this kind of games. It's 50% off right now until the end of March, too.

Daystar Clarion said:
It's some of the best music I've heard in a game. Comparable to Shadow of the Collossus in awesomeness.
In case you don't know already, you can get a Journey-themed music bundle from Austin Wintory (that's Journey's composer) for free by signing up for his newsletter.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah it was great up until it took it's ending from
Stephen King.
It was obscure enough so that everyone could draw their own conclusions until the end. Not to metnion if you look at the trophies you get spoiled. IT'S CALLED A HIDDEN TROPHY YOU DOPES!
But it was really quite good, in fact, once I take the Journey a second time I'm writing a review so look out for that.

Dec 14, 2009
Smertnik said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I never actually played flOw or Flower, so I too, went in with no expectations.
You never played Flower? You really should, especially if you like this kind of games. It's 50% off right now until the end of March, too.
I might just do that.

EHKOS said:
Yeah it was great up until it took it's ending from
Stephen King.
It was obscure enough so that everyone could draw their own conclusions until the end. Not to metnion if you look at the trophies you get spoiled. IT'S CALLED A HIDDEN TROPHY YOU DOPES!
But it was really quite good, in fact, once I take the Journey a second time I'm writing a review so look out for that.
I like the ending.

That may very well just emphasise that the journey may very well be better than destination. Surfing those sand dunes, with that music and flying carpet things, was just amazing.

Madhog

Jan 10, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
As you may or may not have noticed, I like Okami. The game is gorgeous and oozes character with an amzing sountrack to boot.

Journey is my new Okami, it is gaming in it's purest form, it isn't trying too hard to be 'artsy', it isn't pretentious and it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

The 'multiplayer' is implemented brilliantly, appealing to our desire for companionship, but isn't essential. In all my years of playing videogames, I've never had such an emotional attachment with a stranger before, an experience shared without passing a single word.

The game looks gorgeous, the lighting is brilliant and I've never been so impressed by sand. The whole time I was in the desert, I just felt warm, while the snowy mountain was unforgiving harshness, me and my companion, huddling together, wondering if we'd get through this.

I wasn't following this game, I went in with no expectations and was rewarded with a truly brilliant gaming experience.

This isn't a review, just my opinion of the game, so feel free to share your thoughts too. If you have a PS3, you owe it to yourself to pick this up.

You won't be disappointed.
Well, I have reviewed this game and yes, it's just as you said: utter brilliance.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I still don't know whether to buy Journey..

I'm not very good at puzzles or platformers... I just want to see what it's like.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
Pretty much my exact opinion of this game. I mean, you're traveling with a complete stranger, and you don't know who they are, what they're like, what their intentions are, or what they're thinking at any given moment, but none of that matters. All that does matter is that you're both on this adventure together, and you have a destination to help each other reach. There's definitely something special about this game beyond just the gorgeous visuals and sound design. Also, it's just plain fun, especially the bits where you're sliding down those huge sand dunes at high speeds.

Dec 14, 2009
F said:

I'm not very good at puzzles or platformers... I just want to see what it's like.
The game really isn't all that challenging but still remains fun, especially surfing down sand dunes at awesome speeds.

Dec 14, 2009
JohnDoey said:
I liked it but it's not in any way worth 15 buck maybe 10.
Your mileage may vary, of course.

I payed 10 quid for Journey and 6 quid for Dear Esther, both being of similar length.

I thought Journey was worth every penny.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
F said:

The game really isn't all that challenging but still remains fun, especially surfing down sand dunes at awesome speeds.
That sounds awesome then. I plan to check it out when I get some money to buy it.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
I payed 10 quid for Journey and 6 quid for Dear Esther, both being of similar length.
I suppose dear ester wasn't very good, seeing as you only mentioned Journey as being worth every penny. Or have you not played it yet?
I'm curious because I was planning on getting it as well.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Thank god someone else is talking about this game. Greatest £10 and 90 minutes I ever spent.

Bugs me that the site is full of Mass Effect stuff when people could be playing what I just did.

Dec 14, 2009
SpaceBat said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I suppose dear ester wasn't very good, seeing as you only mentioned Journey as being worth every penny. Or have you not played it yet?
I'm curious because I was planning on getting it as well.
Dear Esther is okay, but it's not really a game. I didn't feel ripped off, but I also don't think it was as amazing as other's seemed to think. It's worth a look, but it's hardly a game, more like an interactive book.