Jupiter's Moon Has Enough Oxygen to Sustain Earth-Like Life

Scumpernickle

Sep 16, 2009
Personally, I think its pretty selfish to believe that we are the only living beings in this universe. I'm pretty sure there could be some little organisms swimming around in that freezing water.

Clyde

Aug 12, 2009
I haven't had a biology class in a while, but weren't the first organisms anaerobic. I remember hearing plants released oxygen as a poison.

Valate_v1legacy

Sep 16, 2009
Ranooth said:
Well at least we now have a planet you can all escape to you when i take over this one.

I may even be as so kind as to lend you some ships :D
My ships will destroy your ships, while we are all shouting "FOR SPACE ODIN!"

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Pretty cool, too bad it'll take NASA 100 more years to get something onto the surface. If we didn't have the bureaucratically slow NASA at the helm, 2001: A Space Odyssey might have actually been plausible. Oh well, I doubt Mr. Clark would roll over in his grave if all we are is behind schedule.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
that's pretty cool, too bad we can't live on the surface tho, it's a bit too cold there but cool none the less. there is also the fact that it's a bit dangerous to live there as Jupiter is a magnet for meteors.

it would be nice to find actual life outside of our solar system.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
To the guys thinking of living there: wouldn't the pull of Jupiter's gravity screw us over a bit? It's either we fly off the planet to get stuck and squashed by Jupiter, or we find a way to plant our feet while Jupiter tries to pull our torsos off. Lot's of fun.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
To the guys thinking of living there: wouldn't the pull of Jupiter's gravity screw us over a bit? It's either we fly off the planet to get stuck and squashed by Jupiter, or we find a way to plant our feet while Jupiter tries to pull our torsos off. Lot's of fun.
If Jupiter existed that kind of force on Europa the moon would have been sucked into the planet long ago.

Anyway the real problem is more that Jupiter's radiation belt is more dangerous than Earth's own Van Allen belt, plus the average surface temperature of Europa is a whopping -170 Celsius

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Seeing as how Europa is probably referring to the mythological Phoenician woman and not Europe like some people who don't bother to do research will claim I don't see the reason for having to get all jingoistic about what to call the first possible moon colony outside of the asteroid belt.
Congrats! You were able to read the article I linked to, lifted ideas that weren't expressly covered in the initial post I wrote, and passed them off as your own in the hopes that so few would read the source that no one would call you out on it!

Well, you certainly know how this whole "Internet" thing works, but you forgot the part where I have far, FAR too much free time and far, FAR too much disdain for my audience; To the extent that typing this paragraph in which I reveal your whole stupid plan is the greatest moment of my week.

Thank you for this you pathetic, undersexed bastard! You've made my day!

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
jboking said:
Now now, every Magikarp eventually turns into a Gyarados. That being said, we may want to invade now and stomp out the potential Magikarp threat before the bloodthirsty Gyarados learn the secrets of space travel and attack us first. Yay preemptive strikes!
Yes. That was the analogy. Thank you for dissecting it in excruciating detail, thus ruining the subtlety and verve of the entire damn paragraph.

God, I hate the Internet.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Yes! Amazing! So it goes, Earth then Luna, then Mars,then maybe Ceres then Titan, then Europa for colonisation After that... Maybe Alpha Centauri!

Edit: This is assuming we develop techniques, technology, or evolutionary advancements that would allow us to withstand the HARSH climates of most of these places.

Edit 2: It upsets me that I most likely will not be alive to see a permanent outer Earth settlement. Unfortunate.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
The thing is, even if there is oxyigen, isnt Europa too far from the sun to receive enough warmth to provide life, if this is true then a 13 year old just beat NASA.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Yes. That was the analogy. Thank you for dissecting it in excruciating detail, thus ruining the subtlety and verve of the entire damn paragraph.

God, I hate the Internet.
Then why are you on it?

I'm not going to claim to know what you said better than you do, but I read it in a way that insinuates we shouldn't attempt to go there, so i made a joke about doing the opposite. Of course, me accidentally dissecting you oh-so-powerful prose gives you the right to act like a jerk. Thanks man, thanks.

If the integrity of your analogy is that important to you I can just go back an edit my post if you must have it that way.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
I still say that Titan has the greatest chance to house extraterrestial life, after all, it is the only known object other than Earth that has liquid oceans on it's surface (Okay, granted, it's liquid hydrocarbon, but still).

Titan has also been compared to a young Earth, which bodes well for future space colonizers, in my opinion.

You know what? I say we beat NASA there, and construct our massive Escapist starbase from which we may begin our galactic conquest! Enslave the weak and crush all that oppose us! BOO-YAH!

To Saturn VI, my friends!

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
I've always known that if life existed somewhere in our solar system it was Europa, and I just keep getting more confident in that. Maybe I should be an astronomer.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
This alone gives me more strength to my belief to the idea that there must be other life in the universe because there are several planets with the right conditions to support life. Honestly I'd be grateful to discover life, even if it was just basic simple life forms like flat worms and small arthropods... it would still be cool.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
AceDiamond said:
Seeing as how Europa is probably referring to the mythological Phoenician woman and not Europe like some people who don't bother to do research will claim I don't see the reason for having to get all jingoistic about what to call the first possible moon colony outside of the asteroid belt.
Congrats! You were able to read the article I linked to, lifted ideas that weren't expressly covered in the initial post I wrote, and passed them off as your own in the hopes that so few would read the source that no one would call you out on it!

Well, you certainly know how this whole "Internet" thing works, but you forgot the part where I have far, FAR too much free time and far, FAR too much disdain for my audience; To the extent that typing this paragraph in which I reveal your whole stupid plan is the greatest moment of my week.

Thank you for this you pathetic, undersexed bastard! You've made my day!
Oh you mean the source that I didn't go to because I went somewhere else to find out the possible nomenclature behind Europa because I was interested in adding to the silly discourse of the whole "does it have to be named Europa" crowd? Jeez man either you're just looking to see who bites back at you or you're just not good at directing your rage. Maybe you should take a vacation

Also what plan. Seriously I'm still confused as to how I'm lifting your ideas by pointing out the reason behind Europa's name, something that has nothing to do with any part of your article or the source cited You probably misquoted in your blind hatred of all things Internet.