Jupiter's Moon Has Enough Oxygen to Sustain Earth-Like Life

Roamin11

Jan 23, 2009
Foggy_Fishburne said:
Wow. Feels strange, we might not be alone :p
Sure we are not alone, we have on another planet we have mold and little bugs, Great, I feel so not alone

s001911

Jun 11, 2009
I find it annoying that we are only searching for life on "Earth like" planets/moons. Are we that self centred that we assume that aliens will have 'evolved' to be like us, breath Oxygen and only able to comfortably live between 10C and 50C?

What's to say some aliens haven't 'evolved' to live on Venus and Oxygen is toxic to them and they will freeze if they come to the "hospitable" earth?

NOTE; Personally I do not believe in the existence of aliens, but the exclusion of search areas based on "I don't think so" is not a valid reason to ignore other places

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I've given up on extraterrestrial life for now, but what I am interested in are places where human habitation is possible, or at least sustainable. A planet or a moon with a high oxygen content in the atmosphere and an abundance of water would make colonization much easier. Screw alien animals (their germs would just kill us anyway), I want my off-world vacation spot!

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
As awesome as this is I really doubt I'll live long enough to see it happen.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
s001911 said:
I find it annoying that we are only searching for life on "Earth like" planets/moons. Are we that self centred that we assume that aliens will have 'evolved' to be like us, breath Oxygen and only able to comfortably live between 10C and 50C?

What's to say some aliens haven't 'evolved' to live on Venus and Oxygen is toxic to them and they will freeze if they come to the "hospitable" earth?

NOTE; Personally I do not believe in the existence of aliens, but the exclusion of search areas based on "I don't think so" is not a valid reason to ignore other places
I don't think its about being self-centred, its just about looking for life based on what you know first. At present we know water is very important for the development of life, so looking for signs of water on other terrestrial bodies in the hope that life may be there is just common sense.

Not arguing life couldn't exist in other environments, I'm just stating the point that the current search for life is limited by our knowledge of biology rather than being self-centred.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
KoreyGM said:
Kiutu said:
Foggy_Fishburne said:
We might have been some other life-bearing planet's Jupiter. Suck it Christianity.
I'm offended that you believe all people who believe in god believe there is no possible way there is life somewhere else, I believe its impossible there isn't. I also believe in evolution to a certain extent. Hell my grandfather believes that the Garden of Eden is actually on Mars and the four angels that guard its borders destroyed the mars rover that tried to cross into it. Yea we're pretty crazy but not everyone is a bible bond crazy. I see the bible as more of a guide than a book of rules. That said, it saddens me to know I probably won't see alien life in my life time.
Im offended you are putting words in my mouth. I never said all who believe in God. I really don't care what you believe in, and I wish everyone was like that, instead of making it a point to force everyone to care, since faith should be personal and religions should be abolished. I am merely refering to how according to Christianity, Time started not long before we existed.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
ryai458 said:
Kiutu said:
Foggy_Fishburne said:
We might have been some other life-bearing planet's Jupiter. Suck it Christianity.
back to your bridge troll!
on a more serious note maybe we can use our nukes to melt some ice start shooting now they will get there in 50+ years
Oh wah wah. Maybe what I said was non too nice, (not that Christianity cares of offending anyone else) but I am no troll.
Its really hard to care about getting under people's skin who are annoyed at my comment due to how much Christianity itself is such a douche bag. Maybe when they stop telling me I will burn in hell cause their god is an uptight prick, I will watch my words more.

kommunizt kat

Jul 8, 2009
So what if it has oxygen? Its really bad to think that all life depends on what we have... In other planets, maybe they don't even need stars, they might rely on other sources of energy like nuclear radiation and maybe they aren't even solid. They might even be living energy! My point is don't limit you're selves to what's available on earth or what's already here, you have to think outside the box.

metagaia

Random small pink blob
Jul 23, 2008
Well, I might as well get my thoughts in on the original topic before the thread dies in flames.

Firstly, I doubt there would be 'Earth-like- life due to a) the aforementioned miles of ice and b) the shedloads of harmful radiation that Jupiter belches out. Life may be able to live there, but it won't be Earthlike.

As a matter of opinion, I find the concept that 'Earth-like' life to be the impressive fact rather insulting to the potential variety that life has to offer. Comparing one area of potential miracles to a very small section of it would be like trying to judge all films by the standards of Rambo.

Edit: Pretty much ninja'd by the kat there ;-)

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
This is crazy, There could be anything up there. Imagine that, Bunch of crazy sea monsters of the unknown. They should definitely go check it out

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Firstly, why is religion here? It gets boring having to report everyone who starts their post with "HA! Suck it Christianity! We're not alone!" Yeah. I know. It's a logical extension that we are not the only life in an infinite universe. 90% of Christians know this. I find it more staggering that there are Atheists who don't believe in extraterrestrial life.

s001911 said:

Look at it another way - there MAY be life that breathes chocolate, but that will be far harder to interact with in our current stage of technology. May as well start by looking for things that resemble us so we can try to communicate on an even level. Also, if we find a planet that's almost exactly the same as Earth, the chance for hawt six-breasted alien chicks that speak fluent American goes up exponentially.

Earnest Cavalli said:
jboking said:
Now now, every Magikarp eventually turns into a Gyarados. That being said, we may want to invade now and stomp out the potential Magikarp threat before the bloodthirsty Gyarados learn the secrets of space travel and attack us first. Yay preemptive strikes!
Yes. That was the analogy. Thank you for dissecting it in excruciating detail, thus ruining the subtlety and verve of the entire damn paragraph.

God, I hate the Internet.
Have you considered a break for a bit? You're getting veeeeeeeeeery tense round here right now... Hell, I've never played Pokemon - I NEEDED someone to break it down for me to get the subtlety and verve of the entire damn paragraph.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Sporky111 said:
Pretty cool, too bad it'll take NASA 100 more years to get something onto the surface. If we didn't have the bureaucratically slow NASA at the helm, 2001: A Space Odyssey might have actually been plausible. Oh well, I doubt Mr. Clark would roll over in his grave if all we are is behind schedule.
He was cremated actually...

And I think the greatest threat to space travel is Democracy.

People vote for politicians who promise them tax cuts, better education, stronger laws against violence, sex offenders, drug dealers etc.

So no money for space.

yet most countries have military as their top 3 highest spenders

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
Pff.. When we finally realize Terraforming is the solution we will all laugh about those scientists!

kommunizt kat

Jul 8, 2009
metagaia said:
Well, I might as well get my thoughts in on the original topic before the thread dies in flames.

Firstly, I doubt there would be 'Earth-like- life due to a) the aforementioned miles of ice and b) the shedloads of harmful radiation that Jupiter belches out. Life may be able to live there, but it won't be Earthlike.

As a matter of opinion, I find the concept that 'Earth-like' life to be the impressive fact rather insulting to the potential variety that life has to offer. Comparing one area of potential miracles to a very small section of it would be like trying to judge all films by the standards of Rambo.

Edit: Pretty much ninja'd by the kat there ;-)
was that a compliment? :) you're version of the thing was good too though...

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Foggy_Fishburne said:
We might not be alone anyways - even if Europa is bare of life, there is a whole galaxy to check, and beyond that, a whole universe. And maybe beyond that, a multiverse.

And those who think that the fact we haven't spotted integellent life out there === there is no integellent live out there...

[http://www.xkcd.com/]​

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Kiutu said:
I made no argument. "Suck it Christianity" is a statement.
That's because you have no argument. The Bible explicitly mentions other life forms than humans that were most assuredly not created on earth on numerous occasions. I'm not even Christian and I know this. Idiot.

It will probably be empty anyway. Suck it Darwinist.