Kickstarter Video Project Attracts Misogynist Horde

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
PiCroft said:
Smeatza said:
The bottom line is that her series of videos will change nothing.
Because everyone who may be supporting (either intentionally or unintentionally) sexist ideals in the gaming industry will never watch it.
You can see from the overwhelming negative response that many males feel vilified by this so called documentary. Do you think that they will even watch it? let alone take it seriously? when they feel like they are being demonised?
If she were to look at things from a fair, objective point of view, rather than making her own bias blatantly obvious from the start, then this might of had a chance of reaching an audience who actually needs to see it. As it stands, only people who are already aware of the issue and have picked her "side" of the debate will watch it.
You're right, the issue here is of course to make sure that we don't offend the sensibilities of misogynist ogres who make rape threats, sexist slurs and random anti-semite bile.

God forbid we demonize people who vandalize a woman's wiki page because she wanted to make a documentary about sexism!
Whether it is morally right or not to do so, the fact remains that it is not productive.
And the very small minorty who think it necessary to harass her are not the only people that might be supporting sexist ideals, and will be put off by her approach.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Blablahb said:
Kahunaburger said:
I get the impression that you're less responding to feminism as it is actually practiced by actual human beings and more that you're responding to whatever Rush Limbaugh or the local equivalent wants you to see feminism as. Because these are some pretty monumental mistakes.
And I get the idea you're trying to villify me as a Limbaugh disciple rather than adress what I actually have to say.

Please read what I write [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.378338.14802303] instead of what you think it says after a casual glance.
For one thing Limbaugh is a religious maniac, so blaming religion for most gender roles and labeling it as something that needs to be destroyed to achieve equality is hardly American conservative material is it? Heck, merely the notion that equality is a good thing basically makes me a mortal enemy of the American ultra-right.

But that's not going to stop me from disapproving of the extremists on the other side of the fence in equal measure. If anything, Limbaugh and his religion misogyny should be compared to feminists, since they're very much alike. Both have an agenda that preaches their own superiority, blame the wrong factors and both are often really crude and insulting.
The point is not that you're repeating verbatim every right-wing anti-feminist argument, the point is that you've apparently bought the right-wing anti-feminist strawman.

RabbidKuriboh

Sep 19, 2010
ugh feminism was relevant when women didn't have civil rights equal to men,now that they do it isn't

while portrayal of women in video games is a problem its not a problem that needs more attention than say genre saturation or lazy storytelling

over-sexualisation occurs in all media and why video games are singled out more than others simply baffles me and it is not just harmful to women, if expectations of men were also drawn solely from video games most of us would look awful by comparisson

also why does she need $6,000 to make 5 youtube videos?

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I personally dislike or at least disagree with Anita Sarkeesian when she called Bayonetta a sexist game. Now granted the video was about an advertisement for the game but she did give her opinion on the character and game itself.

But yes, the response could've been more classy <-understatement.

PiCroft

He who waits behind the wall
Mar 12, 2009
Smeatza said:
Whether it is morally right or not to do so, the fact remains that it is not productive.
And the very small minorty who think it necessary to harass her are not the only people that might be supporting sexist ideals, and will be put off by her approach.
No, its not a fact, You've asserted that no-one will have their minds changed, and that her approach is biased (which is really dumb because its designed to put a point across, not to be a scientific study).

That her attempt alone has brought forth a heated discussion and has done a lot to prove her point already is proof enough her aims are worthwhile.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
PiCroft said:
You're right, the issue here is of course to make sure that we don't offend the sensibilities of misogynist ogres who make rape threats, sexist slurs and random anti-semite bile.

God forbid we demonize people who vandalize a woman's wiki page because she wanted to make a documentary about sexism!
Yeah, I don't see how anyone can even possible try and justify the behavior of these basement dwelling misfits.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
Phasmal said:
Danzavare said:
At the very least, these people have given her an overflow of evidence she can use to prove sexist attitudes still exist in the gaming community.
Yep.
Sadly this proves to reinforce more stereotypes about certain types of dudes in our community than any of her videos ever could. People had a chance to let other people express opinions which they may not agree with but no- not in our community.
(As for people who say this is `just youtube`- bull-fucking-shit. If you* honestly cannot see that our community has women problems, then your head is so far up your arse you will never see daylight).

*Objective you, not personal `you`.

It's also funny to see so many people gloss over the reaction and just go `oh well she shouldnt make those videos`.
Piss off. There are videos out there of guys nailing their dicks to bits of wood. People can make videos of what they want- dont like it? Don't watch it.
It's utterly ridiculous. The worst part is that there is no rational reason someone wouldn't want to be aware of gender inequalities or want a lot of those problems fixed in games. If this woman is anything like most of the feminist gamers she'd be advocating why deeper female character simply offer more and why learning from present and past mistakes can help further that goal.

If they don't care about any of this why are they wasting time on videos that want discussion about games? We have shallow objectification of women (men, bridges, anything really...) for free on the internet if that's what they're afraid of losing. Heck, I'd argue that characters like Bayonetta (In control of her sexuality) present a sexual female far more appealing and interesting than the shallow ones we're used to, while still being a character that can be appreciated by both male (Desperate teens and mature adults alike) and female gamers. On all fronts, I can't imagine any game being worsened by the presence of 'proper' female characters.

Where I'd differ in opinion is with your last paragraph because unlike the example you mentioned (A video made for sexual stimulation), this lady's videos (if done well) could lead to a better awareness and better changes for gaming. By spewing vulgarities at her people are essentially saying that this discussion is not worth having, which ticks me off. I want better female characters because I want better games. I don't enjoy the awkward breaks in logic that pull me out of the game experience (See: Male Knight armor Vs Metal bikini) or blatant insults to my intelligence (See: Newest Hitman trailer). I'm not a sexually repressed tween and I don't appreciate being treated as such.

A lot of gamers just want great gaming experiences - so screw the jerks that want to put their irrational whiny bitching ahead of that. We're not all the repressed human-hating scared-of-females geeky stereotype of American teen movies these people seem to be channeling. D:

Captcha: well read - why thank you captcha~!

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
PiCroft said:
Smeatza said:
No, its not a fact, You've asserted that no-one will have their minds changed, and that her approach is biased (which is really dumb because its designed to put a point across, not to be a scientific study).

That her attempt alone has brought forth a heated discussion and has done a lot to prove her point already is proof enough her aims are worthwhile.
Heated discussion? Like you said it was just outright abuse.
And aims and means are not the same thing.
I realise feminism is a social/political thing, but I still expect factual productions to be up to certain standards of journalism. Maybe that's just me.
She's preaching to the choir. And if she were to take and objective point of view she would be much more effective in getting her message to those who actually need to hear it and pay heed.

mirasiel said:
Yeah, I don't see how anyone can even possible try and justify the behavior of these basement dwelling misfits.
I am not defending them.
Re-read my post.

PiCroft

He who waits behind the wall
Mar 12, 2009
Smeatza said:
Heated discussion? Like you said it was just outright abuse.
And aims and means are not the same thing.
She's preaching to the choir. And if she were to take and objective point of view she would be much more effective in getting her message to those who actually need to hear it and pay heed.
If someone is violently unwilling to have their opinion challenged by something as utterly milquetoast as the proposition "Analysis: videogames as a medium has sexism issues regarding women" then that isn't the problem of the person providing the viewpoint (well it kind of is, but the moral onus isn't on them to water down their views to not offend shitbags, but for the shit bags to not be shitbags).

Also, the potential viewers aren't literally divided only into "I already know all this stuff, I am watching it because it agrees with me" and "I hate femininsts and all they stand for, I will never watch this"

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
No no, please, there is no problem. Equality has been reached and feminists are just exaggerating!

Studies pointing at how women are at a massive disadvantage worldwide in issues like employment, healthcare or their right to free speech are obviously bullshit, I mean, what kind of legitimacy do organizations like the UN have to make such assessments?

And let's not forget cases like Angie Varona (Google her), a girl whose Photobucket account was hacked and personal pictures publicly distributed, and afterwards got subjected to all kinds of abuse and harassment due to her *daring* to be a beautiful woman (14 year old teenager in those pictures, actually).

Obviously, a man showing his pecs online would be totally subjected to the same slut-shaming and rape-threats, because equality has been achieved!

Really, men, we have to shut the fuck up.

Evan Waters

Dec 12, 2007
Okay, seriously, do people not get the idea that money can be used to live on while you do a thing that doesn't pay a salary? And this is why novelists get advances? But this model apparently is badwrong for video work.

Also, anyone who says "She has an obligation to be unbiased" basically knows nothing about the history of documentary film throughout the history of time. Why We Fight was propaganda and it's still great documentary filmmaking.

Don't like what she's doing? Fine, don't donate. But don't fume and rage about it. Far worse things are getting funded.

Evan Waters

Dec 12, 2007
RabbidKuriboh said:
ugh feminism was relevant when women didn't have civil rights equal to men,now that they do it isn't
Do they? When did this happen?

There's not even an equivalent of the Civil Rights Act for women. The Equal Rights Amendment was passed but never ratified.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Blablahb said:
My point: There's no conspiracy of all men going on to suppress all women, there are many factors involved, most of them involving religion, or own choices. A mono-explanation or a conspiracy theory is folly.
Yeah, and the notion of feminism as a conspiracy theory about how all men are trying to suppress all women is a pretty classic right-wing talking point. It doesn't resemble actual feminism.