Koei Tecmo Confirms No Western Release for Dead or Alive Xtreme 3

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
And once again: "Jim Fucking Sterling, Son!" is proven to be correct.

Thank god for him.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
chocolate pickles said:
Nice job moral guardians. Thanks for policing what i can buy as entertainment.
The "moral guardians" had nothing to do with this. Koei alone decided to not even try. This is entirely on them.
And the developers of Original Sin modifying their cover art to go from one inoffensive and uncontroversial cover to a different one had nothing to do with the moral guardians who sent them death threats.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
RJ 17 said:

Thank god for him.
I didn't see his video, can you link? I never would have expected him to turn of the people he openly joined the ranks of after he came out as being anti-consumer, would be nice to see him go back to being a consumer advocate beyond lip service. It would make me watch his videos again.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Pyrian said:
Lizzy Finnegan said:
"The comments recently made by an employee regarding Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 on the official Dead or Alive Facebook page only reflect that individual's opinion and not the opinion or business strategy of Koei Tecmo Games," the statement reads. "We remain focused on delivering the best in fighting entertainment to our fans around the world, while consciously respecting and strategizing to support the different global audiences the Dead or Alive franchise lends itself to."
Translation: "Koei Tecmo confirms that what he said was 100% correct but was stated indelicately. Here, have a 'consciously respecting and strategizing to support the different global audiences'. That's respectful, right?"
Yep, that seems about the size of it. Hilarious how many people are nodding along with the Corporatese as if that's solid proof that there's nothing to see here. The company just decided not to sell a product they had built as part of a very advanced voodoo business strategy. Obviously this response was needed because no one whosoever has been pressuring them into line with a restrictive agenda, and thus there's simple nobody at all who could have been offended by being called "silly" or whatever by the Twitter account of an importer.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Huh, so you're saying it wasn't actually them evil SJW boogeymen censoring everything?

Who'da thunk it?! :O

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Kaimax said:
Casual Shinji said:
Good luck with your Xbone exclussive in Japan though, Koei. I'm sure it'll be a hit.
DoA Extreme 3 is Sony Exclusive.
Well what the shit!

Figured this being DoA it'd just be another Microsoft exclussive. Weird.

Eh, maybe they won't have much trouble then.

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
This was such a huge non-answer that it kind of lends some credence to the possibility that what the employee said is true. If it wasn't, they could have pointed to the series (Xtreme Beach Volleyball) being a poorly selling series but instead provided no answer besides "that employee mispoke" rather than "he was wrong, here's why". So the choice now is to believe their words, read between the lines or assume the worst, that American liberalism/conservatism made them wary of porting it over.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Zontar said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
chocolate pickles said:
The "moral guardians" had nothing to do with this. Koei alone decided to not even try. This is entirely on them.
And the developers of Original Sin modifying their cover art to go from one inoffensive and uncontroversial cover to a different one had nothing to do with the moral guardians who sent them death threats.
I'm sorry, I missed the part where Koei got death threats, making your analogy valid.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Zontar said:
RJ 17 said:

Thank god for him.
I didn't see his video, can you link? I never would have expected him to turn of the people he openly joined the ranks of after he came out as being anti-consumer, would be nice to see him go back to being a consumer advocate beyond lip service. It would make me watch his videos again.
There's an age-gate on the video due to clips from DoAX3...so I'm going to play it safe and not embed it directly into my post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghPzcbOV8pI

To be clear: the video is basically saying that this is all actually about Play Asia fueling the flames of this non-issue in order to gin up hype for people to import the game, based upon the Koei CM's extremely vague post that kicked this whole thing off. "GET THE GAME THE SJW'S DON'T WANT YOU TO HAVE BECAUSE THEY DEFINITELY PROBABLY MAYBE THREATENED TO BOYCOTT THE DEVELOPER IN YOUR REGION!"

Also: did I miss something? I don't recall Jim ever openly coming out as anti-consumer. o.o

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Well fuck. I don't wanna pay import-level pricing but I guess I'ma have to. Wife loves these games as do I and she's gonna be disappointed its not available in the west.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Zontar said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
chocolate pickles said:
I'm sorry, I missed the part where Koei got death threats, making your analogy valid.
Or maybe it had to due with the fact that with the radical sex-negative toxic feminism within the industry (ha, see what I did there? anyway...) they're aware of all the bullshit they'd have to put up with in the current climate from SJWs that despite what people in denial may believe are very much real and aren't hiding in any degree.

You're effectively saying "they know they'll have to put up with unjustifiably bullshit from non-gamers if they export the game, so by not exporting the game the problem which caused them to not export it isn't real or worth tackling".

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
RJ 17 said:
To be clear: the video is basically saying that this is all actually about Play Asia fueling the flames of this non-issue in order to gin up hype for people to import the game, based upon the Koei CM's extremely vague post that kicked this whole thing off. "GET THE GAME THE SJW'S DON'T WANT YOU TO HAVE BECAUSE THEY DEFINITELY PROBABLY MAYBE THREATENED TO BOYCOTT THE DEVELOPER IN YOUR REGION!"
Ah, so he did not in fact change his position.
Also: did I miss something? I don't recall Jim ever openly coming out as anti-consumer. o.o
During the early months of GamerGate he openly came to the defence of corrupt journalists and attacked TotalBiscuit for taking a neutral but pro-consumer stance. He hasn't taken an anti-consumer stance in the sense he's declared it, but every act he did in the months before and after he left The Escapist where those which could not be defined as anything other then anti-consumer (hell he insulted tens of thousands of gamers for standing up to sensational journalists, something a year before he had called for gamers to do. He's a lot like Extra Credits, he's pro-consumer until it conflicts with the interests of hie friends within the industry, then he becomes anti-consumer)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Zontar said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Zontar said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
chocolate pickles said:
Or maybe it had to due with the fact that with the radical sex-negative toxic feminism within the industry (ha, see what I did there? anyway...) they're aware of all the bullshit they'd have to put up with in the current climate from SJWs that despite what people in denial may believe are very much real and aren't hiding in any degree.

You're effectively saying "they know they'll have to put up with unjustifiably bullshit from non-gamers if they export the game, so by not exporting the game the problem which caused them to not export it isn't real or worth tackling".
Koei assumed. Not doing something because you assume something's gonna happen is entirely on you.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Well, now that the rumors have been debunked, I'm sure everyone will calm down and we'll be able to have a mature discussion about this. :)

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Also, Sega, please translate and release all the Yakuza games, to, uh, spite the SJWs or whatever!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Zontar said:
During the early months of GamerGate he openly came to the defence of corrupt journalists and attacked TotalBiscuit for taking a neutral but pro-consumer stance. He hasn't taken an anti-consumer stance in the sense he's declared it, but every act he did in the months before and after he left The Escapist where those which could not be defined as anything other then anti-consumer (hell he insulted tens of thousands of gamers for standing up to sensational journalists, something a year before he had called for gamers to do. He's a lot like Extra Credits, he's pro-consumer until it conflicts with the interests of hie friends within the industry, then he becomes anti-consumer)
So to be clear: you believe that calling this farce for what it is - a company using SJWs as a boogeyman in order to stir up controversy as a means for free advertising - is Jim being "anti-consumer"?

As a disclaimer: I've been watching Jim since he started here on the Escapist and I've yet to notice any sort of marked change in his opinion on the matter. Speaking out against TB - someone who features Jim as a guest on his podcast from time to time - and those screaming about gaming journalism ethics has nothing to do with being pro or anti consumer, that's closer to being simply politics.

Game Journalism does not equal Game Industry (that is: the people actually making games, against whom Jim has always been a whistle-blower).

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Umm... how does 'announced the game would be a Japanese exclusive in august' count as recently?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/08/02/dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-in-development-exclusively-for-japan-and-asia.aspx#

THIS IS NOT NEW NEWS.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Zontar said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Zontar said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
chocolate pickles said:

Perhaps if Koei Tecmo weren't a bunch of pansies they would have released it. Instead they show their cowardice and wave the white flag. I refuse to respect or support cowards like them.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Zontar said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
chocolate pickles said:
So we have a game that covered a characters midriff on the cover, and a game that is still readily available for import, but that won't be in stores, because it doesn't sell?

Worst. Censorship plot. Ever.

OT: This whole things been blown out of proportion from the start. Good on Team Ninja, though, for chiming in.