Lamest/WTF?! plot twist

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The second half of Modern Warfare 2 springs to mind. Especially as it all happens for no apparent reason and the main bad guy both destroys his own government and puts you in the perfect position to destroy him on purpose.

Although I've learned to accept it and actually rather like it, when they revealed who was behind Zant in Twilight Princess.
Oh come on, as if you couldn't see that coming fifty miles away. It's him, it's always going to be him...

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
kelevra13 said:
star ocean 3 the plot twist that ripped off the the matrix.
Goddamn it, you beat me to it!!! But yeah.
But I'll put it in another way:
Our universe turns out to be essentially an MMO for Fourth-Dimensional Beings.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
sinclose said:
Indigo prophecy. I have nothing against a plot turning supernatural with time, but these fellas shoved it all in your face in one go. Also, your choices barely matter by that point.
I totally agree with you. I liked the first half, but then it turns bad thanks to more supernatural things. Also I never understood how an AI could have gotten involved in the game.

The Seldom Seen Kid

Apr 28, 2010
The subplot about the missing wife in Bionic Commando.
Literally made my yell WHAT?!
Made no bloody sense.

Also, inFamous.

Cargando

Apr 8, 2009
Delusibeta said:
The last episode of the US version of Life on Mars. No. Just no.
The US version? Why what happened?

Edit: Oh, and the plot twists of MW2 was just awful.

Miffmoff

Aug 31, 2009
I'm going with Yahtzee on this by saying the betrayal, it seems to be as common as "press start to begin"

Vaer

Jan 24, 2008
Final Fantasy 8
after oh .. about half of the game all the party members remember that oh .. we actually used to all live together when we were little in this orphanage that was run by the witch and the leader of our merc group, yes and we just forgot about it until now, and suddenly it all came back

Stupid, out of nowhere and completely pointless.

igissx said:
Basically i would say K.O.T.O.R but thats dumb when i can just say..... EVERY SINGLE GAME EVER MADE BY BIOWARE! They always have one plot twist that made me want to snap the controller in half...or keyboard...but the games were good so i forgive them.
How was that out of nowhere, it was suggested a lot of times along the way and I thing it was well written it didn't just come out of nowhere

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
spoiler about ME2 said:
Illusive man looking over your team in the collectors base. Yeah he is actually looking over you there. I'm not sure if I remember it correctly but right before you go to the final boss you stand on the platform and start moving, and the Illusive Man appears in the background behind the wall (somehow) and he's super huge, it's like it's a gigantic TV screen and he is just filming his face. Not sure if I described it correctly because I played that game quite a long time ago.
But don't be surprised if in ME3 Illusive Man turns out to be:
A) Working with the reapers entire time
B) Some early version of the reaper HIMSELF (the eyes) but smoking kinda puts this off although he's the only smoking person in ME2 (and 1) universe so that puts me to my 3'rd version of the story
C) Illusive man is in fact some sort of... "ancient" person. Maybe hundreds of years old, maybe more and until I play ME3 I don't know how that would be explained.

The C option seems most "possible" to me, since Illusive man acts very weirdly, he doesn't act like any of the person within the universe, he is extremaly intelligent and eloquent and has a knowledge of human psychology that only comes with a lot of experience, while he doesn't look all that old, I would personally give him... early 40? Yeah somewhere around that. And that age seems to be not enough to accomplish all that he has accomplished. As said before he also smokes and he seems to be the only person in the universe to do such a thing (everyone else is doing "high-tec" drugs and alcohol :p)
As said earlier I might be completely wrong those are just preddictions but hey, if it turns out to be true (especially some form of option C) you know who told you that first (points finger at himself) ehe ;D
Wait, he's there? Wow. I didn't know that. This changes a lot. I had my suspicions about that guy (sort of along the lines of yours) but I didn't really have anything to base them on, so I just forgot about it. Should have trusted my gut.

OT: Probably Assassin's Creed 2, because
aliens? Seriously? And then they went and got even dumber with the whole 2012 doomsday crap? The plot of that franchise is now so convoluted, I just don't see how they can salvage it with the last game. Also, HE HAD A FISTFIGHT WITH THE POPE?!

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Sir Kemper said:
"And then Jon was the demons."

A Cookie for the refrence.
"But I must fight the demons!" "No Jon, you ARE the demons!"

And then Jon was a zombie.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
I don't know if this counts as a proper twist but the Human Reaper in Mass Effect 2. It was pitiful for the following reasons:

1) What was wrong with the orginial reapers?

2) It was stupidly easy to kill effectively ruining the whole idea that the Reapers were a threat

3) Seriously, a human reaper? What b-rated movie did you get that from?

It was such an anti-climatic ending to a great game it fair ruined it for me. I prefer Mass Effect because the end sequences (running along the outside of the citidal) was suitably epic. Mass Effect 2 was just a giant 'meh'

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
MadeinHell said:
Well most lately MW2 and
spoiler said:
Sheppard betraying his own country for no real reason, I mean... I know that he is supposed to be the general of those guys who got nuked in the first modern warfare, BUT THAT'S NEVER EXPLAINED! The only reason I found out about that was his monologue in the very end of the game nobody ever tells you:
"hey You know Sheppard lost like XXX people in that nuke blast? Yeah it was basically his entire division that must have been a punch to the balls"
NOBODY TELLS YOU THAT! It's just "Sheppard is evil, go kill the sob"
Also I find most plot twists lame cause let's be honest in 9 out of 10 times you see them coming from a mile away. For example I don't really get all that excitement over first KoTOR plot twist. I saw it coming pretty much right after you escape malak while he tries to own you by bombarding the entire planet and it gets more and more obvious with every hour of the game until it eventually HAPPENS. For me it was like "yeah I knew that" but for the rest of the world it seemed to be like "OH WHAT A TWIST!"
Still to this day I can't really understand what people find so great about this.

It's like being surprised that Kreia is the final baddie in KoTOR2... really? You are surprised? She told you multiple times that she doesn't really bother with good or evil and power is only thing worth grasping. HELL if you are particularly thick you are given an ANIMATED CUTSCENE indicating "Look Kreia raised and trained the 2 main villains of the game isn't that peculiar?". And still some people I talked to were surprised that she turned "evil" at the end of the game.

ARGH! I don't know why plot twists even the most obvious and usually bad ones have became "a necessary" part of every story. Can't it be like:
- "A to B" you are a soldier here is a bad guy and some epic music, bam bam! Bravo you feel victorious.
BUT NOoooooooooooooo (ironic no)
It has to turn out that the bad guy is actually your twin brother and that he has in fact boned your girlfriend who got pregnant and she has his baby. Does it make sense? NO! But it's a plot twist we MUST put it into the game...

WHY?! Just WHY!?

EDIT: Alright I calmed down a bit...
Maybe it's just me but most plot twists are visible to me from a mile away even if they are good. I saw Bioshock plot twist coming and got assured in it like 2 hours before it actually happened. I saw quite a lot of plot twists in ME2 coming (while there were not so many) and I actually AM PREDICTING RIGHT NOW the twists in ME3 (Ask me if you want but most of the stuff I predict is already available on ME-wiki).
Hell I saw all plot twists in SCRAPLAND and they were pulled out of someone ass most of the time (the game is great but the plot... urgh).
Maybe it's the fact that I spot the little details in the background like

spoiler about ME2 said:
Illusive man looking over your team in the collectors base. Yeah he is actually looking over you there. I'm not sure if I remember it correctly but right before you go to the final boss you stand on the platform and start moving, and the Illusive Man appears in the background behind the wall (somehow) and he's super huge, it's like it's a gigantic TV screen and he is just filming his face. Not sure if I described it correctly because I played that game quite a long time ago.
But don't be surprised if in ME3 Illusive Man turns out to be:
A) Working with the reapers entire time
B) Some early version of the reaper HIMSELF (the eyes) but smoking kinda puts this off although he's the only smoking person in ME2 (and 1) universe so that puts me to my 3'rd version of the story
C) Illusive man is in fact some sort of... "ancient" person. Maybe hundreds of years old, maybe more and until I play ME3 I don't know how that would be explained.

The C option seems most "possible" to me, since Illusive man acts very weirdly, he doesn't act like any of the person within the universe, he is extremaly intelligent and eloquent and has a knowledge of human psychology that only comes with a lot of experience, while he doesn't look all that old, I would personally give him... early 40? Yeah somewhere around that. And that age seems to be not enough to accomplish all that he has accomplished. As said before he also smokes and he seems to be the only person in the universe to do such a thing (everyone else is doing "high-tec" drugs and alcohol :p)
As said earlier I might be completely wrong those are just preddictions but hey, if it turns out to be true (especially some form of option C) you know who told you that first (points finger at himself) ehe ;D

Has that actually been confirmed of not being a "glitch" with the illusive man looking down over the final battle? I saw that on youtube, and just shrugged it off as a glitch

secondly I thought the glowie red eyes with genetic mods like what Miranda had happen to her. and what happen to sheppard if you go evil, your mods show through your horrible scars and your eyes glow red

rpspartin

Aug 4, 2009
For me it had to be in the game The Worlds Ends With You. Your sitting down enjoying the games decent plot when out of nowhere a partner you had for a good portion of the game suddenly shows up and syas that he was behind it all along and that you were his pawn to take over shibuya. a messed up ending imho.

rpspartin

Aug 4, 2009
ben---neb said:
I don't know if this counts as a proper twist but the Human Reaper in Mass Effect 2. It was pitiful for the following reasons:

1) What was wrong with the orginial reapers?

2) It was stupidly easy to kill effectively ruining the whole idea that the Reapers were a threat

3) Seriously, a human reaper? What b-rated movie did you get that from?

It was such an anti-climatic ending to a great game it fair ruined it for me. I prefer Mass Effect because the end sequences (running along the outside of the citidal) was suitably epic. Mass Effect 2 was just a giant 'meh'
While granted it did seem like they pulled that idea out of their asses most of the game story was okay so i kind of let that slide. also I think the only reason why it was so easy to kill was because like it said in game. it was still being built. The reaper you fought was not yet completly built.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
zHellas said:
Sir Kemper said:
"And then Jon was the demons."

A Cookie for the refrence.
"But I must fight the demons!" "No Jon, you ARE the demons!"

And then Jon was a zombie.
Be careful, posting these may have, *puts on sunglasses*
Repercussions.

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!