Latest Overwatch Ban Wave Results in Some Hilarious Complaints

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
These are some of the worst people. Animals with the cognitive dissonance to try and justify anything. They deserve everything they get and more.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
However, I have been thinking as a person who buys and owns his own games. How DOES this affect people who have relatives who uses their PCs? There has to be some consideration if one person bought it and owned it, and another person in the household actually did the cheating.
Unless you can prove that your car was stolen, if you lend it to a family member/friend you can still be held responsible for any crimes they commit while driving your car.

I'd imagine the brother in this case won't be allowing his little (I'm assuming) sibling play any games on his computer again...and probably demand that the sibling pay him $40.

The problem is you can't really take a "0 tolerance stance against cheating" if you give exceptions. In this case: I'm sure Blizzard would be flooded with tickets saying "It wasn't me! It was my stupid little brother!" if that excuse worked.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
oh man. these responds. just hilarious. like they think that there is nothing wrong with cheating. this amount of stupid really must be shown and point the finger at them and laugh.
the first one cracked me up at most saying that what blizzard is doing is illegal for spying on them that they knew that they are using a triggerbot.
some of these remarks are just pure gold. :D

imperialwar

Jun 17, 2008
these types of ppl are the ones that break into your house then sue you when the dog bites them

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
ObsidianJones said:
However, I have been thinking as a person who buys and owns his own games. How DOES this affect people who have relatives who uses their PCs? There has to be some consideration if one person bought it and owned it, and another person in the household actually did the cheating.
And this is why you don't share your passwords with your family members. Or let them them know where you hide the battle.net authenticater. If I was going to allow a friend or family member try out one of my games, I'm going to be right there with them to make sure they don't do anything that would get me banned.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"Blizzard will feel my wrath."

I kind of wonder if these people actually think they matter to Blizzard.

Shaidz

Jul 8, 2012
lacktheknack said:
"Blizzard will feel my wrath."

I kind of wonder if these people actually think they matter to Blizzard.
Ha! Of cause they think that, they ARE entitled brats after all.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
On one hand i fully support banning cheaters (or rather, you are better off just designing the game so it cannot be cheated in instead, but tell that to the developers that are lazy with thier netcode).

On the other judging by what some people claim they got banned for, the ONLY way blizzard could have detected it was illegally. And i dont think Blizzard or anyone else should be allowed to break laws in order to catch cheaters.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Salty tears, man-child posturing and, of course, a complete inability to realize that you broke the rules.

Seriously, the self-entitled behavior from people these days.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
The thing to understand is that these guys buy the hacks from online stores. For them, "pay to win" is a literal and unqualified description.

From their twisted, myopic perspective, they paid sixty bucks for a game and then paid thirty bucks to cheat at that game. Now they are banned from the game, and the two separate entities that they handed money to blend together in their mind such that to them, they feel like a contiguous corporate overmind has cheated them out of ninety bucks.

You'd have a hard time explaining to any of these people the legal weight of an EULA and the concept of software licensing - the latter of which, mind, is pretty much the foundation of the software industry; no-one would make money selling software if they sold the actual software as opposed to a license to use it. In their mind, they paid money for a thing, and then paid money for another thing, and they'll be damned if the first thing is going to be taken away on account of the second.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Strazdas said:
On one hand i fully support banning cheaters (or rather, you are better off just designing the game so it cannot be cheated in instead, but tell that to the developers that are lazy with thier netcode).

On the other judging by what some people claim they got banned for, the ONLY way blizzard could have detected it was illegally. And i dont think Blizzard or anyone else should be allowed to break laws in order to catch cheaters.
Actually it's pretty common for MMO's and online games to check for external cheating programs being run while the game is up. I know EVE Online did it, and I believe a few other online games like World of Tanks and World of Warships were able to look for cheating programs being run in tandem with the game app itself.

Once again, giving Blizzard the right to do that was probably in the EULA that none of these idiots read before agreeing to.

Or they could have just done it based on old-fashioned stats. Anyone using a triggerbot is going to have an inhuman accuracy rate unless they're being exceptionally sneaky about it. A few different ways it could have gone down, but there's a roughly 0% chance that Blizzard had to do anything illegal themselves to catch them.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
rcs619 said:
Strazdas said:

Actually it's pretty common for MMO's and online games to check for external cheating programs being run while the game is up. I know EVE Online did it, and I believe a few other online games like World of Tanks and World of Warships were able to look for cheating programs being run in tandem with the game app itself.

Once again, giving Blizzard the right to do that was probably in the EULA that none of these idiots read before agreeing to.

Or they could have just done it based on old-fashioned stats. Anyone using a triggerbot is going to have an inhuman accuracy rate unless they're being exceptionally sneaky about it. A few different ways it could have gone down, but there's a roughly 0% chance that Blizzard had to do anything illegal themselves to catch them.
Its not a new idea, thats true. I do know that World of Tanks and Warships certainly do not use it and i think Eve dont either, at least from what i observed playing it. EULA does not apply here because EULA deals with your and companys right regarding the game. It does not deal with any third party apps and any part of it that states this is null and void as far as legality is concerned. So doing that would still be illegal.

Well yes, a stats based approach is possible and that im all for when it comes to banning cheaters. Though you need to make sure it does not report false positives ( i know people who are insanely accurate. We would play in WoT in platoons and they would get 100% accuracy in almost every match. And i know them in RL, they arent cheating).

Nilanius

Apr 6, 2009
P-89 Scorpion said:
Yes how dare these people want to play the game they paid for.
*nearly dies of laughter*

How can anyone justify cheaters actions? Any normal adult that buys games, thinks first "Okay this is a lot of money I am investing in this game. I am going to want to get my investment back in years of enjoyment. So I'm not going to do anything that jeopardizes that.". In other words, if anyone is stupid enough to agree to a games terms and conditions, which every single online game out there has, which basically says "You cheat, you leave", and still cheats, deserves to lose their investment.

Old saying: Cheaters never prosper. They did not prosper for cheating. And yesterday apparently blizzard was being DDoSed which ruined the enjoyment of players not just on Overwatch, which I do not own, but it was effecting World of Warcraft's connectivity as well. Apparently they (the DDoSing script kiddies) were hitting many ISP's and their connection to Blizzard Entertainment. Unfortunate for such script kiddies, that is illegal, and once the ISP's trace the attacks, these kiddies, who likely were banned by Blizzard for cheating, will have more than a few bucks wasted to worry about. They stand to lose their computers, ability to even get near the internet, and their freedom removed by their government.

Basically, they'd be jailed and banned from ever using a computer or internet ever again. Cheaters deserve everything they get, and I for one, support Blizzard's stance against cheating. Always have. Always will. The only ones who look bad, are the ones who got banned, and the ones who are trying to justify the cheaters actions.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Nice! Keep those selfish idiots out of my beloved game :)
The responses from these retards is sometimes gob-smackingly facepalm worthy.
They ruin other peoples fun and think they're entitled to anything?

Really glad Blizzard have this policy. Hackers like this can literally kill a game like this.

Good to see these knobs out the game. I hope they get the rest soon :)

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
fisheries said:
That's true. But "Don't download third party software which is not officially sanctioned to gain access to cheats that are unaccessable in the game to ruin the game for everyone else playing with radar, aimhacks etc" is kind of an easy one to pick. It's like, don't go to a bar and start a punch up. Don't ram other players in traffic. Don't sell drugs to kids. It's just really simple stuff, that everyone can be expected to work out. The TOS gives them license to ban you, but even if you haven't read that, you're going to know that looking up a hacker forum and buying hacks off them is not in the spirit of the game.
This is totally true as far as it goes, and I'd argue that pretty much anyone should know that using an aimbot or similar probably isn't kosher. (Though, my own opinion is that a well-programmed game wouldn't give the clients any information they shouldn't have, so hacks that let people see through walls and whatnot ought to be impossible anyway. It amazes me that more companies don't do this. I assume they just don't want to deal with the increased server load. Why make the game cheat-proof if you can just issue a bunch of bans, amirite?)

But there are various degrees of "cheating", and not all of them this blatant. For instance, one of the complaints says that he/she got banned for using a "color-changing" app. If this is true, it seems pretty unfair. There's a lot of reasons one might want to change display colors, ranging from aesthetics to color-blindness, and my guess is that most people wouldn't think twice before installing an app that adjusts colors on their PC. Heck, I run a program called f.lux that adjusts colors automatically when the sun goes down. A ban-worthy offense? I don't think so.

My point is that there are many things that might be considered cheating by most people, and some things that might only be considered cheating by some people. It's not always a black-and-white issue, and having Blizzard take a black-and-white stance to what might be less clear-cut is a bit concerning.

Sensei Le Roof

Jul 2, 2008
The_Great_Galendo said:
one of the complaints says that he/she got banned for using a "color-changing" app. If this is true, it seems pretty unfair. There's a lot of reasons one might want to change display colors, ranging from aesthetics to color-blindness, and my guess is that most people wouldn't think twice before installing an app that adjusts colors on their PC.
And if he was using this app to make all enemy textures solid magenta (we're talking full-on #ff00ff, stands-out-against-everything magenta)? The problem is there's no way to be sure how it's being used, so the best course of action from Blizzard's perspective is to shoot (ban) first and ask questions (analyze the match data) later.