Lawsuit Blames Oblivion For Pilot's Seizure

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Sebster 105 said:
redisforever said:
Yeah, in modern games, the warning is on page 1 of the manual.

I remember that Lucasarts (I think) had the warnings come up on the screen before the game, and you couldn't skip it.
Yeah but nobody wants to be like lucasarts

OT: it's a shame but do they really need to strip him of his flying credentials?
Really sucks loosing flight credentials but had another seizure whilst flying plane the results could be bad so cant take the risk.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
It's better we learned that he can get seizures when he was playing a video game than when he was flying a plane isn't it? McLaughlin is looking at this the wrong way. The navy didn't take his license because he broke a bone but because it turns out he's susceptible to seizures. This incident happening on the ground instead of in the air may have saved his life.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
I'm curious if they have a doctor's medical report stating that Oblivion was the cause. Like many have already said Oblivion doesn't really have any strobing light effects that would trigger a seizure unless he was a severe epileptic (and if that's the case then he had no business flying in the first place). I'd be willing to bet the guy has an underlying condition and the fact he had a seizure while playing was just an unfortunate coincidence.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
So wait, the warning is there but he's saying "well, I cba reading to see if it's there"? He has fucking epilepsy, it's his responsibility to check the product for that. That's like a diabetic suing on the grounds of no one reading what chocolate bars are made of on the back. The term "no one" has a very specific fucking exclusionary group of people who should be wary of a product in the first place.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
A seizure from Oblivion? k...did he drop the brightness to minimum, stand next to an oblivion gate during a thunderstorm and cast an illusion spell repeatedly in third person? 'course even that doesn't compare to driving at night, or watching TV...
But at least we know he's not after money, or he would have sued Activision or Nintendo for their pile of money.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
They shouldn't be able to win a court case, they DO have warnings about seizures. No matter if the "pattern" of lights wasn't specified, it warned you.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I actually just checked my oblivion game (sits on my desk) and it doesn't have a photosensitive seizure warning in it.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Sebster 105 said:
redisforever said:
Yeah, in modern games, the warning is on page 1 of the manual.

I remember that Lucasarts (I think) had the warnings come up on the screen before the game, and you couldn't skip it.
Yeah but nobody wants to be like lucasarts

OT: it's a shame but do they really need to strip him of his flying credentials?
They take no chances with pilots. Hell, you can't even become a qualified pilot if you're color blind.

OT: Since they have a seizure warning like some people already stated, isn't this whole lawsuit kaputt?

Killertje

Dec 12, 2010
Why doesn't he sue his parents too for giving him crappy DNA? He can't play oblivion and he's obviously a retard. With a good lawyer he can't lose.

DRSH1989

Aug 20, 2010
If this guy wins I'm gonna sue Bioware for Mass Effect 2's lens flare hurting my eyes.

EDIT: or not.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Every single game on the PSOne had a warning appear on screen before you could play, every single game now has a warning in the manual. MGS4 gives you bloody eye relaxation exercises. If he wins, I'm gonna sue next time I burn my hand on an iron because "I didn't read the warning."

Jun 16, 2010
Sebster 105 said:
Um, yes. Would you want to fly in a plane where the pilot is prone to violent, bone-breaking seizures? "But it's only when I play games developed or produced by Bethesda!" isn't a very reassuring excuse...

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
The only strobe like experiences I can think of in Oblivion are teleportation effects, which are very tame at worst, and the possibility of the sun flickering through the trees while you'd riding past them assuming you are angled properly and have been abusing the restoration buffs. Nevertheless, Oblivion did not cause epilepsy assuming this was the cause of his seizure, and I'm disgusted the airline that employed him and the school that taught him didn't check for epilepsy thoroughly. If this epilepsy is new, he has neurological illness that he needs to be in hospital to have diagnosed and treated before he seizes again in court and goes into MODS.

Short of it, another frivolous law suit by a disgruntled ex-something taking the easiest route to solving newly arisen financial insecurity. Inverting cause and effect due in part to lack of understanding.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
As I've said to the man who invented the feces-powered helicopter, "This shit won't fly!" Or however that quote is said.

Why was this guy allowed to fly in the first place? I mean, shouldn't there be measures to detect potential epileptics and weed them out accordingly?

Feb 13, 2008
Yeah, because someone with epilepsy never takes suitable precautions when they can feel a fit coming on.

Pull the other one. Literally.

From personal experience, you can tell when it's coming and you have a small window of opportunity to protect yourself. If he didn't take that, and continue playing, then it's his own bloody fault.

Edit: Oh yeah, you can't give blood or drive with epilepsy, so putting him in charge of a plane would be insane.

Second Edit: Epilepsy comes in many forms: Photosensitive, Heat Sensitive, Grand Mal, Petit Mal - it's just Photosensitive Grand Mal is the one most often heard about.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
Whew, I can tell you when im taking a peacefull stroll in the green lush world of Oblivion, I need 911 on speed dial. More foam comes out of my mouth than a dog with rabies when a deer runs by.

Not only does EVERY game warn you completely, Oblivion is absolutly not a game that would push the boundries of shit coming at you. If youve got hyper sensitive epilepsy, dont play games or watch movies, but this guy must just be fishing for money. This will get thrown out of cort the moment someone hands him a box of the game

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Must have been all that bloom.

But seriously, I do not remember a single occasion where there was strobing in Oblivion. I do, however, remember the seizure warning in the manual. This is like suing a power tool company after cutting your hand off with a circular saw, because you didn't read the warning label that said "Do not put hand near blade when operational".

Josh Horton

Apr 6, 2011
I got Oblivion shortly after it came out, mine has a warning label on the back and in the manual so... unless he got a misprinted copy of the insert and manual I see this going nowhere fast.