Lawsuit Blames Oblivion For Pilot's Seizure

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
Hmmmm! Long ago when I was playing Fifa 2005 and my own goalie did something so mindblowingly stupid that the other team scored. I promptly threw the controller out the French door. Which was closed....

I didn't see any warning there for rage inducing so I think I shall sue as well!

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Kevlar Eater said:
I mean, shouldn't there be measures to detect potential epileptics and weed them out accordingly?
Pfffft. There is but they just stick an EEG cradle on your bonce and make you sit in a dark room for half and hour with a strobe light. If your trigger isn't photosensitive or if the strobe isn't cycling in your trigger range, it won't detect shit.

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
ya know it says it may cause seizures but not only that game every game ever. like turn on the game it is assumed there will be a seizure warning

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
II2 said:
I think there were a few Shivering Isles screenshots used in this video at about 0:30-35, but at least it came with a warning:

Beyond all the flashing lights, I'm fairly certain this video is also cursed; just for you consideration.
pfffft thats tame ive spent years trying to find a vid that can cause me to have seizures and that didnt even give me a queasy sensation like some of the better ones do

DSK-

May 13, 2010
This is why I have my games and desktop at AT LEAST 100Hz refresh rate - thus may or may not help prevent the problem. Meh.

OT: As people have said, RTFM.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
I take medication for seizures and play video games every day. I see the warning signs. This seems a bit preposterous to me, because the warnings are everywhere nowadays.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
This is almost as stupid as when the maker of the black lotus 9mm bullet was sued for making a "dangerous" product. The judge threw out the case citing "It's a bullet, it's doing its designed intended function, killing what it hits."

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Lets see...

1. I dont recall anything flashing wildly in Oblivion....

2. Alright you can sue....Win or Lose you can never be allowed to own any video game console ever again...

3. ALL OF THIS IN EVERY VIDEO GAME MANUAL EVER....

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Yeah, because someone with epilepsy never takes suitable precautions when they can feel a fit coming on.
Not all epileptics get enough time.

Of course it's entirely possible the guy didn't know he was epileptic or even isn't epileptic... Couple of different ways you can induce grand mal seizures in people without epilepsy (but the best way, of course, involves using lasers).

End of the day, though, all Sony and Zenimax need to do is bring in a few neurologists and rip this guy's shit up.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
This is F-ing bull. The warning is on the damn package, you were well fucking aware of the risks. go cry to someone who gives a damn. Stop playing video games. Up your medication amounts. I don't care what you do, just don't fricking sue the company that made several awesome games and warned you of the risks. man up and accept responsibility for your own god damn decisions.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
redisforever said:
Yeah, in modern games, the warning is on page 1 of the manual.

I remember that Lucasarts (I think) had the warnings come up on the screen before the game, and you couldn't skip it.
But what if you get a seizure while reading it?

Feb 13, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Yeah, because someone with epilepsy never takes suitable precautions when they can feel a fit coming on.
Not all epileptics get enough time.
You can still feel it coming. If you are known to have grand mal seizures, you usually have 15-30 seconds when the shutdown is coming. Most epiletics would have to try quite hard to fall into a position where they break a bone from the thrashing.
Of course it's entirely possible the guy didn't know he was epileptic or even isn't epileptic... Couple of different ways you can induce grand mal seizures in people without epilepsy (but the best way, of course, involves using lasers).
Honestly, it's extremely unlikely you'll not have had them since puberty or before. The only way you'll get them in later life is from taking some serious drugs (whether prescribed or not)
End of the day, though, all Sony and Zenimax need to do is bring in a few neurologists and rip this guy's shit up.
I'd be more interested in finding out how he broke the bone. The only way I can surmise is the limp arm going into his chair arm, and then the spasm smashed it against it. Breaking your own bone, even when spasming, is exceptionally difficult. He'd have had to have trapped it when the blackout began.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I blame Morganna [http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Morganna_Mode_Gone].

And yes, warning or no warning, if a friggin' Navy pilot can get seizures from Oblivion, God bless the USA for getting him out of the air.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
I would say there is some validity to this in the sense that the lights from a game with high bloom could cause something like this (because nobody knows how to fucking use bloom or HDR correctly). HOWEVER, if there was a warning, even someone in the manual that nobody reads, it would be his fault and this case should be dismissed.