Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Syndrome Conundrum

woots7

Nov 30, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
Silent_Thunder said:
Don't worry, I'll serve you well in the hospital. I won an Operation championship in 3rd grade! On a less malpracticey note; How well are you equipped for this? I'm assuming all will be well unless they brought lashers, but if they did.... Once had a lasher take a baby's head off and then murder EVERYBODY in the fort except the baby's mother. It was depressing.
You know how last update I mentioned getting a metal industry up and running? You should have a metal industry up long before your first siege. I am woefully under-prepared for this.
that you are, i think your just going to need to pull up that drawbridge and wait it out, oh wait you have a hole lot of bridges over the moat. or send your poorly equipped military to there deaths.

Silent_Thunder

Nov 30, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
Silent_Thunder said:
Don't worry, I'll serve you well in the hospital. I won an Operation championship in 3rd grade! On a less malpracticey note; How well are you equipped for this? I'm assuming all will be well unless they brought lashers, but if they did.... Once had a lasher take a baby's head off and then murder EVERYBODY in the fort except the baby's mother. It was depressing.
You know how last update I mentioned getting a metal industry up and running? You should have a metal industry up long before your first siege. I am woefully under-prepared for this.
What about those serrated discs? Are those set up on the entrance? Or are they just part of the story with Goden? Also If I die, I swear I will have to burn an elf in mourning.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
woots7 said:
Internet Kraken said:
Silent_Thunder said:
that you are, i think your just going to need to pull up that drawbridge and wait it out, oh wait you have a hole lot of bridges over the moat. or send your poorly equipped military to there deaths.
I'm only going to abuse the drawbirdge in situations of certain doom. It's not as entertaining to read about me defeating the savage goblins by tricking them with the drawbirdge over and over again.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
then theres only one thing for it... KILL THE GOBLINS WITH HIPPOS THE FORGOTTEN BEAST IN THE CAVE!

seriously make a tunnel and send a suicide dwarf/animal to lure it up into the Goblins.

FOOLPROOF!

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
Chapter 51: From the journal of Stinthad Kekimtobul

18th Timber, 1054, Late Autumn

Yeah, those are goblins. With lots of weapons. And they look pretty angry.

Kraken's notes: Goblins are the main enemy of the dwarves, though you could be forgiven for thinking that was the elves. Goblin society is ruthless, focusing on strength and power to maintain order and stability. Given that they dwell exclusively in the barren mountains of evil lands, this could be considered necessary for their survival. Ultimately, the cruel nature of goblin society results in them ending up in conflicts with the other civilizations.

Goblins harass forts throughout their lifespan. They start by sending thieves and child snatchers, but later move on to ambushes and sieges. The frequency and intensity of these attacks increases as your fort progresses. Though goblins have low quality metal equipment, they are still a major threat due their numbers and intelligence. They also have a tendency to bring along war beasts, particularly trolls. Goblins will do everything they can to bring your fort down, so all players must be prepared to deal with their constant attacks.

...I don't think they're here to be friends. EVERYONE BACK INSIDE!!!

19th Timber, 1054, Late Autumn

Okay, I've ordered all the bridges be retracted temporarily. We can't just let the goblins waltz right into Reveredtour. I've ordered the military to assemble at the entrance, but they're taking forever! We don't have much time to deal with this!

20th Timber, 1054. Late Autumn

Okay, some poor earth golem got trapped outside. It's Monom's old pet, so I guess it takes after her. Well the goblins have decided to chase it around rather than stand by the entrance, so we have a window of opportunity.

Here's the plan; wait for the entire military to assemble near the front gate, and then lower the bridge. Have the military move into the middle of the wastes to keep the fight away from Reveredtour, and then lower the bridge again. The idea is that the goblins, seeing no way into the fort, will blindly charge at the military and hopefully be cut down. If not...well, we have enough time to keep them from getting into Reveredtour. Hopefully it won't come to that though.

22nd Timber, 1054, Late Autumn

Well the military crossed the bridge, and have been left to their fate. Not a moment too soon either, since the goblins cut down the earth golem and are now refocusing their efforts on breaking into Reveredtour. Now all I can really do is wait and watch. I...I have confidence in Momuz though! I'm sure with his leadership they'll do just fine!

Also I've had the graveyard extended to accommodate more corpses, for totally unrelated reasons.

23rd Timber, 1054, Late Autumn

Okay, this is weird. The goblins have split up for some reason. About 3 quarters of the goblins are sitting around drawing pictures of dead dwarves in the sand for some reason.

Meanwhile, their commander is charging towards the military. Alone. There are a few goblins scrambling behind him, but he's running ahead of them. Mainly because his beak dog mount allows him to greatly outpace them. He has guts, I'll give him that, but his reckless haste is going to get his head lopped off. Which works in our favor of course.

He reminds me of Alath. Only green and riding a beak dog.

26th Timber, 1054, Late Autumn

From the hospital I looked down at the field below. The blistering sun beat down on the brave soldiers of Reveredtour. They stood, gazing at the cliff they knew the enemy would soon be climbing up. Then, they saw the commander of the goblins charge up the hill, his mount moving at an incredible pace. The commander was followed by...nothing.

Well he had one peon with him, but that was it. The odds weren't exactly in his favor. He didn't seem to realize that his soldiers had fallen behind.

I figured the battle would be an easy one due to his lack of support, but the first strike was unfortunately made by his mount. And it was a powerful one.

Poor Houi had never seen a beak dog before, and had no idea how to fend it off. She could do little but struggle in vain and call for her friends, who were fortunately right behind her.

But despite the wounds they inflicted on it, the beak dog remained focused on killing Houi. Meanwhile the commander, who had tumbled off his mount during the confusion, was now attempting to cause some damage of his own. He was a skilled fighter, no doubt about that, but even he could do nothing against such overwhelming numbers but try to hold his ground.

However, the commander was distracted by the shrill cry emitted from his beloved mount as Momuz tore open its body in a most gruesome manner.

Upon seeing his faithful companion destroyed by Momuz, the commander realized how little support he had. He called for his soldiers to rally behind him, but most of them were still preoccupied building sand towers on the beach.

The soldiers were blissfully unaware of their leader's plight, who could no longer fight on his own. As his body was torn to pieces, I believe his last words involved cursing the incompetence of his army.

I hope that's not how I go.

Some of the goblin leader's soldiers had shown up though. Unfortunately, they still lacked numbers, so they weren't much of a threat. One of the goblins demonstrated graceful dodging skills, but tragically for her she didn't take into account the moat a few feet behind her.

At this point most of the goblins had realized what was going on and were now charging into battle. Though they knew their commander had fallen, this did not cause their courage to falter.

This is where things got bad. The Reveredtour soldiers, with swollen egos due to their conquest over the goblin commander, underestimated that ferocity of the encroaching goblins. They forgot how big of a threat goblins can really be, especially when they have numbers to work with.

After that, it became hard to distinguish what was going on in the fight. As more goblins and dwarves poured in, it became a massive cluster of blood and guts flying through the air. Occasionally you would see a soldier limp out of the mess clutching his wounded body, but for the most part it was just a cloud of red mist. Thankfully, though injuries were being sustained, all of the casualties fell with the goblins.

It was a slaughter, to say the least. I kind of feel bad for the goblins. I mean I know they're trying to kill us, but this is just brutal. I saw Momuz gouging out the eyes of one of the crippled goblins. That's just plain unnecessary!

Well eventually the few surviving goblins realized that they were doomed, and tried to run for their lives. At this point I wanted to call the soldiers back in, but Momuz wouldn't have that. He ordered that the fleeing goblins be cut down. In the end most of them were, but I saw one goblin make it far enough for even Momuz to stop pursuing him. I have no problems with this either. There's no reason to kill fleeing combatants! But trying to get Momuz to be compassionate is like trying to get Goden to stop being creepy.

So we won, and I guess due to the goblin's poor attack strategy we did better than we should have. But looking at what lies at the entrance...

...I can see that we have a lot of cleaning up to do.

28th Timber, 1054, Late Autumn

Okay, this is bad. A lot of the patients in the hospital are dehydrated, but I can't get them any water. Why? Because I can't find anything in this fort to put water in!

All the buckets I usually use are filled with this lye garbage. If some more don't get made soon...well I'm just not going to think about that.

29th Timber, 1054, Late Autumn

In order to properly celebrate our victory over the goblin menace, I think we need to construct something special. Something that perfectly captures the spirit of Reveredtour, and how we can prevail over any threat!

BUCKLERS!!!!!!!!

1st Moonstone, 1054, Early Winter

Ah winter, it's such a ple- wait, it's winter already? This can't be right. The dwarven caravan hasn't arrived yet. They're never this late. And they said they would keep sending regular caravans to Reveredtour...did the goblins get them? I hope not, but it seems like that's what must have happened.

3rd Moonstone, 1054, Early Winter

I realized that there are simply to many patients for me to handle at the moment, even with the help of Silent Thunder. So I was looking for another dwarf to handle some minor medical duties, when I found one dwarf who actually has some decent medical training!

His name is Rowan, and he should be able to help me take care of the patients here properly. It's about time we got someone with some half decent medical training.

5th Moonstone, 1054, Early Winter

Oh no, not this again. One of the dwarves has started babbling like a lunatic, lashing out at others, and acting like a psychopath in general. I think this is another strange mood of the terrifying variant. Once again Goden won't do anything about this because she doesn't want to interfere, so we're just going to have to deal with a psycho wood cutter running around and pray she doesn't decide to use her axe to cut off a child's head.

8th Moonstone, 1054, Early Winter

That soldier Houi is acting really strange. She's been lying out in the field ever since the battle took place, refusing to get up.

She received wounds to one of her legs, but it's not so bad that she can't stand. And if you try to carry her to the hospital, she gets really mad and pulls out a weapon. I'm worried she's given up on life for some reason and is just waiting for starvation to take her. Maybe the beak dog inflicted brain damage as well. Considering what happened to Monom, it seems perfectly possible.

I just hope she comes to before she dies out there.

11th Moonstone, 1054, Early Winter

Maybe it's because Rowan is a better doctor than me, but somehow he managed to get Houi to stop acting crazy and carried her to the hospital. Good, we've had enough death recently. We also managed to resolve the bucket crisis before someone died of thirst, so all is well for the moment.

13th Moonstone, 1054, Early Winter

That crazy dwarf has started building something in the leather works. I want to believe it'll be something nice like a buckler, but it's probably going to be another impractical spike rope.

17th Moonstone, 1054, Early Winter

Jeez, Yara has been making a lot of noise lately. He's still chasing that octopre around like a bloody idiot, but he's normally pretty quiet compared to the other great beasts we've seen. It's almost as if- no, it can't be.

Fuck you game.

SnippyWings

We're on a bridge charlie!
Aug 25, 2009
I AM A DOCTORZ!!!11!
*Grabs scalpel and starts flailing wildly*
This should be funny.
Hopefully i'll be a good help.

Houi

Jul 26, 2010
Ok, I changed my mind. That dwarf is much stupider then me, I would have let everyone else attack first :D

vallorn

Nov 18, 2009
2 things.

one: how did Vall do in his first battle.

two:eek:h god MORE FORRGOTTEN BEASTS! (is this one in the abbys or crypt or what?)

Engarde

Jul 24, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
vallorn said:

Well you got one kill and aren't wounded. So compared to the average, pretty damn good.
I like to beleive the quality of the average Reveredtour citizen is quite high!

Speaking of which, can I have my dwarf info / profession?

At least the forgetten beasts have not been something silly like an adamantine elephant or a bee made from lava.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
Engarde said:
Speaking of which, can I have my dwarf info / profession?

Unfortunately for you that hodgepodge of mediocre skills doesn't qualify you for anything better than hauling or masonry.

Aidinthel said:
So goblins will attack all fortresses, even ones in calm biomes?
Goblins and megabeasts will attack any fortress, provided they can access it from their starting location. Outside invaders aren't influenced by the biome you embark in so you could settle in the most peaceful place imaginable only to find a bronze colossus stomping on your dwarves heads at some point. You can disable invaders if you don't want to deal with them though. I suppose that might be useful for a new player but I never did it.

vallorn

Nov 18, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
vallorn said:

Well you got one kill and aren't wounded. So compared to the average, pretty damn good.
GO VALLORN!

can i get to see his skills?

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Huh. Did you create the world with an abundance of Forgotten beasts? Or just pierce all three caverns that fast?

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
All I got out of this is that, while not the most important part, graphics do matter. I never liked games entirely devoted to resource management anyway.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing OhJohnNo the Dwarf (unless you already posted it in an update and I just missed it, that is).

PurpleLemur said:
I'd like to put my name up for adoption, please. If you want, y'know. Don't feel obliged.
Of course I can put you on the list. Don't hesitate to ask for stuff like that, it's really simple to do.

MrShowerHead said:
Well, since others are asking about the profiles, can you show mine?

Volstag9 said:
Well i guess ill ask, if its not too much trouble...

could i see my dwarf info?
randomID said:
Still alive! =D
Did I get any kills? xD
No, but you didn't get hurt. That's a plus.

SamuelT said:
Huh. Did you create the world with an abundance of Forgotten beasts? Or just pierce all three caverns that fast?
All huge worlds have well over a hundred Forgotten Beasts, so it's not like there's a shortage of them. However, 4 attacking in one year is unusual.

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
That didn't go so poorly, despite the lack of metal. Definitely better than the siege a friend trying to recreate the Parthenon just went through. Dozens slaughtered, not a single goblin killed by a massive pack of war dogs, and a tantrum spiral on its way. Above ground fortresses are a *****. Good job surviving thus far.

My own first siege involved an army prepared with steel, fortifications, and ballista in 40D. Unfortunately, the attackers were utilizing crossbows, so the fortifications worked against me and my civilians were turned into pincushions. A bridge meant for smashing enemies ended up squishing the surviving soldiers of the first assault. I managed to drive them off, but I did not survive the ensuing civil war caused by tantrums.