Let's point out silly double standards!

Nathan Crumpler

Sep 1, 2011
I know a girl whom does masculine things like wears pants,doesn't shave her arms, and has sex with women, but when her male friend tries to show her MLP her first response is "What are you? Queer!"

He needs to pick his friends better.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Nathan Crumpler said:
I know a girl whom does masculine things like wears pants,doesn't shave her arms, and has sex with women, but when her male friend tries to show her MLP her first response is "What are you? Queer!"

Shave her arms?
Who shaves their arms? Did you mean legs?
Wearing pants isnt that masculine any more either.

Nathan Crumpler

Sep 1, 2011
GobbieGoldchain said:
That one rock and roll fan I know who complains about how hip hop is all about sex and drugs.

Although I agree with you, it is easy to get that impression from watching rap music videos.

Xirath

Nov 9, 2006
The reason for the sexual double standard, at least in America, is fairly simple to explain. How much would you be willing to pay for a key that can open any lock and how much for a lock that can be opened by any key? Am I right in guessing most said near nothing for the latter while much higher for the former?

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Lucem712 said:
Vault101 said:
when I was in highschool (all girls) the world of sex and all that because VERY confusing

being a "slut" is bad....but being "fridged" is also bad?

its ok for guys to sleep around but when girls do its bad?

wait...having sex is "good" but it can also be bad and somthing to be ridiculed for and can get you lebelled a slut? YOUR the slut not him?.

...waaaaaahhh?
I agree with that one, also the one about how girls can get any guy in bed but guys have the hardest time getting laid. Girls can't just go out and nail 10 guys because not all women look like [insert hot actress here] and guys will just ignore her for the sluttiest girl in the room. Also, on that point, girls get friend-zoned too.
Most girls can get almost any guy. I know plenty of my male friends who have, on a night out, gone home with a girl they consider ugly, just because "hey, sex is sex.". There's only so many hot girls, and a lot of guys will basically shag anything with a vagina. I see a lot more good looking guys with "ugly" girls, than the other way around.

I'm not saying whether this is right or wrong, but it certainly is easier to get laid if you're a girl.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
rhizhim said:
SNIP, forgot it again!
Yes, but really the creepy stuff never existed until G4 came out. G4 wasn't only aimed at little girls, but their parents and pretty much anyone. This has been confirmed by the creator of the show, Lauren Faust. So yeah, that part of your reason is out. Still a good reason though, since MLP really is much more down to earth than Adventure Time (One of the reasons I prefer MLP, since Adventure Time is just rather out of it to me). But really, it all comes down to use bronies being a group who draws/writes/makes a LOT of fan creations. I can almost guarantee you that there isn't an Adventure Time fansite that can include 40 AMAZING drawings, 2 well written stories and about 6 music tracks every single day. Just the sheer amount of stuff us bronies produce will lead to us making creepy stuff, it's only logical. The ratio of Adventure Time fanart to Adventure Time creepy shit is right, since they make less fanart. Same with MLP, but we make more. Do you see my point good sir?

(I thought I'd never see the day I was talking sensibly to a person about MLP on the Escapist.)

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I'm sure I'm going to catch a LOT of flak for this; with sweeping, nonsensical accusations of me being a "racist" or some other such thing. (which I'm most certainly NOT. though I shouldn't have to prove it) But, here's one I saw recently; in advertisement form; that made me do a double take.

I was watching the tele when I saw an ad for some dating/match-making website. I just kept seeing a lot of people; men and women; giving their accounts on how successful their experience with the service was, etc, etc.

Naturally, I thought nothing of it. That is, until the end when they said the name of the site.

The site? Blackpeoplemeet.com. Now, at first it didn't dawn on me. But then, I thought about it. What if the site had been called Whitepeoplemeet.com?

My God, the torrent of controversy and accusations of "racism" that would flood out from the news and social-media...

I mean, it's kind of sad when you think about it. We've gotten to a point in society where political-correctness is almost a new form of racism.

Hyperbole? Maybe. But, it does kind of fascinate me that, were we to swap one mono-chromatic word for another, the name of the site goes from forgettable to controversial.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Xirath said:
The reason for the sexual double standard, at least in America, is fairly simple to explain. How much would you be willing to pay for a key that can open any lock and how much for a lock that can be opened by any key? Am I right in guessing most said near nothing for the latter while much higher for the former?
Last time I checked, vaginas weren't locks. :p

I've heard that `reasoning` before, it only works if you reckon that ladies are supposed to make sex difficult to obtain, which is kind of counter-productive to people who actually want sex.

Apr 28, 2008
Stemer said:
On topic: It annoys me when, in a videogame, after you're done genocideing the villains guards you get a moral choice about killing the main villain themselves.

Advance Wars Duel Strike must be the all time worst case of this, but I'm sure there are plenty of others.
That pisses me off as well.

Another example is Assassin's Creed 2. Ezio goes around Italy, killing scores of people. Usually guards, who are most likely just doing their job. Trying to feed their family, you know, normal things. Ezio murders so many without a second thought, kills all the leaders, and finally gets to the guy who manipulated everything and everyone.

And Ezio lets him go.

Pretty fucked up.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
rhizhim said:
Basically, bronies did not "evolve" from the old shows. G4 is basically the new series, it means 4th Generation. Same with say, Pokemon and their generations. When Friendship is Magic came out bronies began, they weren't around before that (save for a few people, but there wasn't enough for it to be called a fanbase). In 2010 Friendship is Magic came out and BOOM, bronies burst into life and have grown and grown ever since. It hasn't been a slow evolution, but a big bang. Also, the amount of fans who aren't girls of the old shows who started watching FiM (Friendship is Magic) are pitiful compared to the bronies and pegasisters that spawned after FiM aired. So yeah, we've actually had quite a short fandom time. It's just that really, Adventure Time hasn't inspired many people to create stuff from it, MLP has the style that inspires people to make fan art and stuff like that. It's the reason why you see EVERYTHING made into ponies, but barely anything being made of Adventure Time. Because the character design of ponies from FiM is univeral, whereas every single character in Adventure Time is different. Meaning it's much harder to make original crossovers (crossovers which aren't just the main characters made to look different). I'm pretty sure I've gone on a massive rant, but I'm liking this conversation so I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on my rebuttal to your claim!

Nathan Crumpler

Sep 1, 2011
Phasmal said:
Nathan Crumpler said:

Shave her arms?
Who shaves their arms? Did you mean legs?
Wearing pants isnt that masculine any more either.
I have never seen a woman on t.v. with hair on her arms, unless it was played for laughs; there's a Steve Harvey Show episode that I remember in particular. It's only been recently that I have notice some women in real life with hair on their arms. I just assumed the rest shaved their arms or do not a grow noticeable amount hair in the first place.

To make a short even shorter, I was just making a joke. I consider not shaving and wearing pants masculine, but I don't think any less of a woman whom also does these things.

Nathan Crumpler

Sep 1, 2011
Vigormortis said:
I'm sure I'm going to catch a LOT of flak for this; with sweeping, nonsensical accusations of me being a "racist" or some other such thing. (which I'm most certainly NOT. though I shouldn't have to prove it) But, here's one I saw recently; in advertisement form; that made me do a double take.

I was watching the tele when I saw an ad for some dating/match-making website. I just kept seeing a lot of people; men and women; giving their accounts on how successful their experience with the service was, etc, etc.

Naturally, I thought nothing of it. That is, until the end when they said the name of the site.

The site? Blackpeoplemeet.com. Now, at first it didn't dawn on me. But then, I thought about it. What if the site had been called Whitepeoplemeet.com?

My God, the torrent of controversy and accusations of "racism" that would flood out from the news and social-media...

I mean, it's kind of sad when you think about it. We've gotten to a point in society where political-correctness is almost a new form of racism.

Hyperbole? Maybe. But, it does kind of fascinate me that, were we to swap one mono-chromatic word for another, the name of the site goes from forgettable to controversial.

Maybe you should start whitepeoplemeet.com and see what happens.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Mr. Omega said:
The Retake Mass Effect crowd. A movement built and sustained on double standards.

RME: Everyone who disagrees with us is either stupid or bought by EA!
Person: What about the people supporting Retake who went and filed a complaint with the FTC, sent in death threats and demanded money they gave to charity back because it wasn't going to changing the ending?
RME: That's not fair! You're generalizing us like everyone else!
I've seen generalizations and straw manning on both sides. In fact, most of your post is just plain generalization of RME movement.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Nathan Crumpler said:
Vigormortis said:

Maybe you should start whitepeoplemeet.com and see what happens.
No thanks. Pretty sure I'd be labeled a bigger racist than the collective membership of the KKK.

Promethax

Dec 7, 2010
Annoyed by a weaboo? You're a righteous defender of all that is just.

Annoyed by a brony? You're a big, dumb, emotionally stunted, sexually insecure, super judgmental, homophobic, sexist, Fox News-watching, ass-picking, Nu metal-listening jock who's too big of a dumbfuck to even hold a candle to the sheer intellectual ubermensch that is the brony.

lolwut?

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
Phasmal said:
TheMightyAtrox said:
Phasmal said:
TheMightyAtrox said:
Vault101 said:
when I was in highschool (all girls) the world of sex and all that because VERY confusing

being a "slut" is bad....but being "fridged" is also bad?

its ok for guys to sleep around but when girls do its bad?

wait...having sex is "good" but it can also be bad and somthing to be ridiculed for and can get you lebelled a slut? YOUR the slut not him?.

...waaaaaahhh?
I believe I know why there is a double standard when it comes to sluts. It's easy for a girl to do it, and it's really hard for a guy to do it.
Thats the misconception though. Its not that easy for a girl unless she looks like a model (I mean it could be if you were into fugly guys with no standards that you could just scrape off a bar floor).
Have you ever worked in retail? It's common for ugly girls to be walking through with their kids. Honestly, a woman doesn't have to be a 10 to get laid. They tend to be more selective though. Some girls unfortunately go for anything that comes along because they don't think they have a chance with most guys. Stop that. You're beautiful and don't let anyone tell you different. I know I almost went off topic but it was all in the point.
I'm not saying they have to be a ten to get laid, but people saying its really easy for women seem to think that any guy will be willing to shag any willing girl, which is just darn silly.
Men have standards and preferances just like women do. Nobody is everybody's cup of tea.
That's true. It also would kind of depend on the situation too and if alcohol was involved.

GistoftheFist

Jan 6, 2012
If a drunk guy was belligerent, knocking over furnature and swinging haymakers at people, it would be acceptable to knock him the fugg out, but if a drunk female does it..I hate overzealous meatheads who believe all women are delicate flowers who shouldn't be touched even if they are attacking you. Equal rights, equal fights.