Life experences you found over hyped

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I don't know if this counts seeing how I skipped it, but I too will go with Senior Prom.

By that point, I was recently broken up with an girl that I eventually came to despise, I thought literally everyone at the school was either an idiot, a douche, or completely stuck up, and I was also tired of my friends.

I wasn't even really unpopular at my school. I just hated people.

Oh, and the whole having a girlfriend thing was kinda lame once I realized that you actually were suppose to work at the relationship, and super awesome romanticness wasn't really guaranteed.

Turning 18 was kinda dumb once I realized that I had no desire to take up smoking, rendering the date nearly useless.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Well after reading this interesting topic I have come across a new word that I have never heard before. I have never heard the term "Introvert" but after looking it up and hearing how you use it I think that may actully describe me to some extent. Which is nice since I usaully just said that im shy or don't like people, now I have a word for it. Most excellent.

OT: Im learning to drive now and it's a pain in the ***. Wish I didn't have to do it. I am also 18 and haven't even tried drinking. I couldn't care less about it, I just really can't make myself care enough to try it.
I also hate partying so that whole "School is the best time evar!" is a load of crap for me.

Of course school was still nice since it means I didn't really have to do anything much untill exam times, I didn't get too much homework and didn't mind the hours. Looking back I kinda enjoyed school, it wasn't the "time of my life" but it wasn't too bad.
Then again that could just be because I never got bullied. I am pretty big and apparently can look intimidating so most people leave me alone, when somebody did try to bully me I flipped and smashed their face into a radiator. Was left alone after that.

Oh damn, I went and rambled on.
TL:DR School wasn't the "time of my life" but it was still enjoyable. Also Driving sucks.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
- Turning 18 and 21: I actually have a habit of totally forgetting my birthday, so I ended up doing mundane things for both days.

- Losing my virginity: Uncomfortable and sometimes painful, it wasn't at all the 'unforgettable experience' as I was told to expect.

- Drinking: Still not a massive fan. I like to drink sometimes, but I still don't see why people drink about nine bottles of tequila and feel like liquid death the next day.

- Weed: Kind of boring, but in a nice, contented way. I certainly wouldn't pay for it on a regular basis, but the way people go on about it I was half expecting to end up feeling in a constant state of ecstasy and creativity - while I actually just felt relaxed and a little bit drunk.

- Prom: No idea if it was hyped or not, but due to unfortunate circumstances I missed the two proms I'll ever go to. From what I heard, though, it was everyone acting exactly the same but overly-dressed...which sounds both pretty cool and pretty anticlimactic.

Aug 25, 2009
Almost anything I thought was important before I turned 20.

Looking back on my teenage self (or reading through the forums here most days) I can understand why it seemed important. I was young, I had an opinion, I understood better than the politicians or the tecahers or the MAN how to run the world and my life, couldn't people understand that if they just did like I did then things would be better?

Then I went to university, and started looking back in horror.

It's the reason I really hope both I and the Escapist are still around in about five years, because there's quite a few users who I'd like to start quoting their old statements back to them, just to remind them of what they were like when they were teenagers. Especially people who make the 'I'm 18, that means I have a right to be heard!' threads.

SmegInThePants

Feb 19, 2011
getting a job. I was promised as a child that doing so would teach me the value of a dollar. But ya know what, after decades of working, it only taught me how much more value time has over $. I've learned how much *others* value a dollar, obsessively - almost equating to worship. But the more i work the less value a dollar has in my eye. Sorry ma, you were wrong! Or very right, but not in the way you thought you'd be. hehe

MegamanSora

Apr 1, 2012
I don't know if I can really comment on this, but I'm in my freshman year of high school, and it's WAY over-hyped. Of course, I'm an introvert outside of school, so maybe that's why. During school I socialize somewhat, but outside of school I spend most of my free time either playing guitar, reading a book, or on my laptop and PS3.

YingDerpington

Apr 23, 2012
High School. I only have fond memories of stuff done in grade 12. Everything before that was terrible. All the people are twats that segregate others during the majority of highschool, Final Year seems to be when people start pulling their heads out of their arses and it becomes more fun (and more challenging)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
AngloDoom said:
-

- Prom: No idea if it was hyped or not, but due to unfortunate circumstances I missed the two proms I'll ever go to. From what I heard, though, it was everyone acting exactly the same but overly-dressed...which sounds both pretty cool and pretty anticlimactic.
you a girl or a guy?

because when your a girl the great big fucking EVENT that was the prom...jesus christ (I envy the guys)

the dress, the shoes, the limo, the afters being left off table by your circle of freinds

the hair, your make up, fining a partner, looking perfect

yeah I never want to do that again

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
birthdays. especially the 'important' ones, like 18 or 21 (i have only experienced the first one so far though). i played badminton, that was about it.

also i agree with driving. it took me a year and 4 tests to finally fucking pass. i mean i like it, and i'm glad i passed my test because its out of the way, but getting a car at my age is a huge money leech, one i can do without

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Nightclubs. Since turning 18 and drinking in nightclubs, I just think "What a boring place".
Probably not my kind of fun.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
When I say my formal, thats the equivalent of prom - dont ask, its just what we call it here... Anyway, I didnt even have high expectations for it. Everyone was hyping it up to be the greatest night of everyones lives that would be magical and wonderful beyond pure bliss. Still maintaining the view "Yeah it should be kinda fun", it didn't even live up to that. It was meh at best. And damn expensive - I wouldve had much more fun having my friends around and ordering pizza - wouldve been a damn lot cheaper too.

High school in general was fun for me though - but only really in the last 2-3 years. My group of friends were awesome - we were almost completely outside of the drama that went on with everyone else so we could just enjoy it =)

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
High school, birthdays, getting laid for the first time.

High school sucked balls- Uni, on the other hand, is a right laugh.

I tend to ignore my birthday- everyone is usuallly far too busy partying already. I just go to one of theirs (New years birthday), and get to party without being the centre of attention.

Sex got better, though. Now got a regular nerdy hook-up, so we can just do it whenever we like and then go back to vidja gaems and painting our armies. AND I AM TOTALLY NOT SHOWING OFF.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Dandark said:
Well after reading this interesting topic I have come across a new word that I have never heard before. I have never heard the term "Introvert" but after looking it up and hearing how you use it I think that may actully describe me to some extent. Which is nice since I usaully just said that im shy or don't like people, now I have a word for it. Most excellent.
No offense, but if you're my age and you haven't heard the word introvert before, you need to read more. Like a lot more.

OT: University. I may not be the social recluse type, but it's a saddening experience to lose a whole group of great school-friends in order to try and make some new ones at university.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Vault101 said:
AngloDoom said:
-

you a girl or a guy?

because when your a girl the great big fucking EVENT that was the prom...jesus christ (I envy the guys)

the dress, the shoes, the limo, the afters being left off table by your circle of freinds

the hair, your make up, fining a partner, looking perfect

yeah I never want to do that again
*Shudder*

Yeah, I'm a guy, but I realise how lucky I was to be one during prom-times. All my friends during secondary school were female so there was a lot of scrabbling for men, which were in short supply in our school for some reason. Since it was a little village, everyone knew everyone so there was such a ridiculous sense of one-upmanship everyone was paying ridiculous amounts for dresses and getting people to dress up their face...

The whole thing just seems too much pressure and hassle for one night trying to impress people you already know your social standing with. I feel I missed out for not going, since I like to try everything once, but 'going to a prom' isn't exactly high on my list of priorities.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
AngloDoom said:
*Shudder*

Yeah, I'm a guy, but I realise how lucky I was to be one during prom-times. All my friends during secondary school were female so there was a lot of scrabbling for men, which were in short supply in our school for some reason. Since it was a little village, everyone knew everyone so there was such a ridiculous sense of one-upmanship everyone was paying ridiculous amounts for dresses and getting people to dress up their face...

The whole thing just seems too much pressure and hassle for one night trying to impress people you already know your social standing with. I feel I missed out for not going, since I like to try everything once, but 'going to a prom' isn't exactly high on my list of priorities.
granted Im the kind of person who would stress out over those things more than whats considered normal

but yeah...its not that I *really* cared..but its the building up and the expectations (and the cost)...it turned out pretty good in the end though, got to hang out with some people I usually wouldn't have and the afters was cool (after then bitches ditched me for the ball table...eh to be fair social dynamics are kind of complicated)

I envy guys because it seems like you could concentrate more on having fun, rather than your hair and make-up (and those fucking heels)