LittleBigPlanet 2 Changes the Game by Letting You Design It

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
spinFX said:
laryri said:
spinFX said:
When will the PS3 be worth the money? I mean if I didn't already have a 360 and a gaming PC it would be worth it but as it is... I can't justify having yet another console for about 5 exclusive titles that are good.

inFamous
LBP2 (not 1, 1 wasn't quite good enough)
Uncharted 1 and 2
I want to say MGS4 but I haven't played an MGS since it was on the PS1
God of War 3

And that's all I want from a PS3 :S
You aren't going to know all the good games for a system if you don't have it. Trust me, there are more.

OT: I am extremely skeptical about this. You can't really make an RPG in a filesize fit to be a level for a game.
Metacritic knows all :p Besides I have friends with PS3s.
There's also MAG, Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 (Or if you don't like shooters, why did you buy the x360 in the first place?

And there are the upcomming Infamous 2, Final fantasy 13 versus, Final Fantasy 14 (although it's PC aswell), The Last Guardian, etc.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
Asehujiko said:
And of course console users are going to hail this as an innovation despite the PC having this for let's see...

14 years. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_%28video_game%29#Modification]
While I love PC gaming and modding, I really don't think comparing the PC modding community to this makes any sense at all. Little Big Planet 2 will allow anyone to create new games (if we are to trust this article) without any large amounts of personal effort, while creating new games with the Quake engine can take months or years depending on the scope and scale of your vision. And I know since I am a mapper/modder myself.
This. The difference is that LBP Level designer will require about 1-2 hours of mastering, and then it's all about imagination. Modding requires many more skills than just imagination, and many more hours of development.

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
Belladonnah said:
spinFX said:
laryri said:
spinFX said:
When will the PS3 be worth the money? I mean if I didn't already have a 360 and a gaming PC it would be worth it but as it is... I can't justify having yet another console for about 5 exclusive titles that are good.

inFamous
LBP2 (not 1, 1 wasn't quite good enough)
Uncharted 1 and 2
I want to say MGS4 but I haven't played an MGS since it was on the PS1
God of War 3

And that's all I want from a PS3 :S
You aren't going to know all the good games for a system if you don't have it. Trust me, there are more.

OT: I am extremely skeptical about this. You can't really make an RPG in a filesize fit to be a level for a game.
Metacritic knows all :p Besides I have friends with PS3s.
There's also MAG, Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 (Or if you don't like shooters, why did you buy the x360 in the first place?

And there are the upcomming Infamous 2, Final fantasy 13 versus, Final Fantasy 14 (although it's PC aswell), The Last Guardian, etc.
You know I'm not sure. I had a beast computer I built so I wasn't wanting for games, I guess it was a big impulse buy. PS3 was wildly expensive back then ($1000 or so AUSD) so I couldn;t impulse buy that, but still that isn't enough reason since the games I got for the 360 when I bought it were crap. Smackdown Vs Raw, Dead Rising (it was ok), Gears of War and Fight Night Round 3.

Silly purchase IMO. Damn materialistic pig I am. I really wish I had have stuck with just my PC and MAYBE added a PS3 primarily for Blu Ray but also the few good games I listed.

I still maintain that if I couldn't afford a GOOD PC (every 2 years I spend about 2 grand building the best possible PC at the time) I would choose the 360.

AbyssalSanhedrin

May 8, 2010
I've long felt that I backed the right horse with the 360 (I'm NOT saying it's better, just that it suits my personal gaming needs better) but some of the recent/forthcoming releases for PS3 look awesome. If this game can really deliver on all of this stuff then it could be amazing. Perhaps it's time to dip into the ol' savings account.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Asehujiko said:
And of course console users are going to hail this as an innovation despite the PC having this for let's see...

14 years. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_%28video_game%29#Modification]
You... Have no idea what LittleBIGPlanet is, do you?

FaceFaceFace said:
Sounds pretty cool. Alas I don't have a PS3. Instead, I have a little thing called GameMaker.
Game Maker is drek compared to LittleBIGPlanet's engine, and #2 looks like it'll blow Game Maker completely out of the park. And you made me make a baseball reference. You happy now?

OT - I love LittleBIGPlanet. It's really easy to make... Anything. The idea of being able to quickly and easily make my own code to turn the game into anything else is just amazing. Can't wait.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Uhhhh, WANT IT! WANT IT NOW!!!

Hmm, I hope this doesn't turn out like the original LBP for me, my imagination for level creating was often much greater than my actual ability to. I had trouble with elevators, boats, enemies. I hope the process is a bit more streamlined for idiots like me. Damn, so many good ideas crushed by so much ineptitude.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mornelithe said:
John Funk said:
So it's like the StarCraft 2 map editor then? ;)
Seems a bit more complex than that, check the trailer:

It was a joke, bro.

But, while we're at it, you know the people can make RPGs, top-down shooters, and even FPS games in SC2, right? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-baUe-pCqJY&feature=related]

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
D0WNT0WN said:
This sounds awesome but the community will probably abuse it with Penises.

God I love the internet.
Everyone says that, but it feels like they're exaggerating just a little big too much.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Interesting... though I question how good it'll actually be - given every claim of game makers to provide such things has been either a) very basic and feature sparse, or b) overwhelming complex and user unfriendly.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
Little Big Planet 2 will allow anyone to create new games (if we are to trust this article) without any large amounts of personal effort, while creating new games with the Quake engine can take months or years depending on the scope and scale of your vision. And I know since I am a mapper/modder myself.
Coding a game from the ground up takes time regardless of engine. There's absolutely nothing LBP is going to change about that. If anything, being constrained to a controller is going to make coding even slower.
Chipperz said:

Game Maker is drek compared to LittleBIGPlanet's engine, and #2 looks like it'll blow Game Maker completely out of the park. And you made me make a baseball reference. You happy now?

OT - I love LittleBIGPlanet. It's really easy to make... Anything. The idea of being able to quickly and easily make my own code to turn the game into anything else is just amazing. Can't wait.
An average at best platformer with delusions of grandeur that completely relies on the ignorance and myopia of it's userbase to be considered good?

And you seem to be under the illusion that this game will magically teach you how to code stuff. Like converting the engine to actually be 3d instead of a few 2d planes. People made fps levels with physics in warcraft 3, an inherently 2d game without a physics engine. I challenge you to do something similar here.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Eh, Warcraft 3 was doing this years ago, and I'm looking forward to SC IIs editor for the potential there :D

They say that they've made a CnC clone?! On a 2.5D plain? How does that even work? I could see how the other genres work, but not strategy.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
Except that you don't actually code anything at all, you use really simple tools create the game world. Being someone who has been a active modder for a good number of PC games it is beyond me why you are even trying to compare the two. If you want to create something for a game like Doom 3 for example, you not only have to spend days just to learn the basics (and only the basics) of the editor, but you also have to invest weeks worth of your time just to create a single level that isn't crap. The design tools in Little Big Planet allow you to create something decent in less then a day.
Which only works because it's a platformer, which are inherently simplistic in their design, hence their extreme over representation in indie games. You can't create a decent FPS by lumping together a bunch of preset objects meant for platforming and calling it a day. Or an RTS. Or an MMO. Or a flight sim. They all require much more elaborate tools then a digital lego set.

Hardcore_gamer said:
Go troll some other forum.
Did you simply run out of real arguments to defend your game or do you truly believe that your opinion is a universal fact and that all deviants are thinking otherwise on purpose?

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Asehujiko said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
Little Big Planet 2 will allow anyone to create new games (if we are to trust this article) without any large amounts of personal effort, while creating new games with the Quake engine can take months or years depending on the scope and scale of your vision. And I know since I am a mapper/modder myself.
Coding a game from the ground up takes time regardless of engine. There's absolutely nothing LBP is going to change about that. If anything, being constrained to a controller is going to make coding even slower.
Chipperz said:

An average at best platformer with delusions of grandeur that completely relies on the ignorance and myopia of it's userbase to be considered good?

And you seem to be under the illusion that this game will magically teach you how to code stuff. Like converting the engine to actually be 3d instead of a few 2d planes. People made fps levels with physics in warcraft 3, an inherently 2d game without a physics engine. I challenge you to do something similar here.
OK, so you have no idea what LittleBIGPlanet is. This does make me wonder why you're attacking it so venomously?

For future reference, LittleBIGPlanet is a Playstation 3 game that allows it's players to make content, easily and quickly. There is no need to code, learn code, or use code. I get the impression that the code used in LittleBIGPlanet 2 is going to be simple IF/THEN functions in a set menu, and it will have to remain simple if it's going to be read on an eyetoy. I hope this has helped you see that you're attacking something for something it can't do.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
[quote="Chipperz" post="7.193771.6167063"OK, so you have no idea what LittleBIGPlanet is. This does make me wonder why you're attacking it so venomously?

For future reference, LittleBIGPlanet is a Playstation 3 game that allows it's players to make content, easily and quickly. There is no need to code, learn code, or use code. I get the impression that the code used in LittleBIGPlanet 2 is going to be simple IF/THEN functions in a set menu, and it will have to remain simple if it's going to be read on an eyetoy. I hope this has helped you see that you're attacking something for something it can't do.[/quote]
Again, the only reason that this works is because 2d platformers are the only genre that you can create levels for by placing pre-made objects on a 2d plane. You can't for an fps, since they are 3d. A bunch of if then else functions which launch more pre-set functions will not allow you to circumvent this limitation. I'm not attacking the game, I'm calling out the fanboys who claim that the game will do stuff in 3d it can't because it's an inherently 2d engine and the misconception that making any type of level will be just as easy as making a platformer level.