LoL and the surrender button.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Well, a certain someone in my LoL team would promote a surrender @ 10 patch...

*anything negative ever happens*

"Right, we're done! Done!"
Yeah I have a friend like that. It's rather frustrating because if you don't surrender he stops paying attention and starts feeding.

Btw I have seen you speak about LoL quite a bit on here. You NA or EU?

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
i agree with the surrender button. yes its being abused but its a good concept on its own.
let me tell you a story. i was playing a LoL game as karthus. and i had to go bot because one stupid child had to go mid with miss fortune and i prioritize team more than myself. anyway. come min 15 and 3 of the enemies are legendary. with guys in the bot struggling on both sides. the game went on with us being fucked. really fucked. we had a 0/17/3 zed and a 0/7/0 master yi. the game got to the point where we only had the last 2 towers. i as karthus could take 3-4 of them alone but they killed me all together. and each one them could take 3 of our team alone and chew through them. at this point in game the only thing they did was doing dragon and nashor and coming to kill us then go. and only thing we could do was to defend and kill the minions. our team did not agree to a surrender (one of them kept saying no no no im having sex!) with 3 nos and one who didn't vote. now tell me what the fuck can you learn or turn around at this moment.

the surrender button IS a good thing. people abusing something shouldn't end in that thing being removed. it should lead to people learn no to act like children all the time. (specially if it's ultimately a good thing)

TL;DR i like the surrender button. it shouldn't go

Mar 9, 2010
I don't like surrendering but if the enemy team is fed and the game is just going to be steamrolled from that point on then I'll cut my losses and quit wasting my time.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
TheKasp said:
Naeras said:
You know that guy who drags out a game for 30 minutes after feeding the other team about 10 kills in as many minutes, and then insists "OMFG DONT SURRENDER NOOBS WE GOT THIS"?

Yeah?
Those guys are what the surrender button got invented for. The fact that it doesn't(didn't?) exist in DotA 2 annoys me like all hell.
Happened yesterday to me, gave first blood and got zoned out as fuck so that I only reached lvl 6 around the 10min mark as a Nightstalker. When morale went down I said to hold the shit tight and go on, keep a positive attitude. Stop flaming each other etc.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/631913116777694365/39D641A4B66BC4F82114B90024A08DC1846B4AAD/

We fucking won.

You know, people like you, who assume the worst and give up on that notion are for whom the surrender function is for.
By "those guys are what the surrender button got invented for" I meant "got invented to deal with", not "invented for them to use". When we're down 20 kills, have lost all towers and the opponent has teamwiped us the last five teamfights, that's the point where I can't be bothered to waste more time on the game. You know, like I mentioned in the part of the post you left out from your quote. Trying to do anything else from that point on is almost always a waste of time, and just letting the other team win and try again in another game is usually the best thing to do.

Comebacks from a bad start do indeed happen, and giving up before 25 minutes, unless all lanes got blown up and you got outpicked, is usually a bad idea because capitalizing on 2-3 mistakes can easily put you back in the game. Comebacks from a bad start and a horrible mid-game, on the other hand, requires your opponents to screw up royally several times in a row.

Congrats on the comeback, though.

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
Normally I don't actually start surrender votes in League unless it's a complete and total steamrolling. I'll go along with it if say, my side is mostly level 12 or 13 and the enemy is almost all 17 or 18 and more than one has their full build of items. Sure, it's POSSIBLE to come back from such a thing, but that's if you're lucky, coordinated, and they make some serious mistakes. As it stands, the times I've tried to overcome such an advantage we've ended up feeding more kills to the enemy and by the time we're maxed out and a few of us are finished on our items, if ANYONE on their team didn't have something they needed, they had it then. Otherwise boots were being sold for the lulz to get that second Deathfire Grasp or something.

I usually try not to get into the "nope! one thing bad happened! we're done!" mentality but every so often something happens that's just....ugh. Like oh? Riven's been fed? Well damn, she's gonna be a pain. Jungle Hecarim just got his three core items and no one but me as the Nami Support is warding? Guess I better save my Qs then, but this is still gonna hurt. I won't surrender just BECAUSE those things happen, but I will consider it if they're following up properly and blowing everyone away and making or extending an impassable lead.

The only exception to this is if the enemy team is stupidly focused on kills as opposed to towers. If my team can hold them off or keep them entertained during late game long enough for me to backdoor their Nexus? Got no problems staying in. Otherwise....well, let's say I'm open to the idea of surrender if the logic is sound.

What really annoys me is the people who WON'T surrender simply because they either don't know enough about the game, or have this gleeful delusion that life is an anime and if we JUST PULL TOGETHER and they use their SPECIAL MAGIC SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE POWERS to suddenly be godly at the game, we can WIN!

.....oh is that true? Let me join you in a moment, then. Right now I have to find a disability cane because I've taken roughly ten Lux Lasers in the last ten minutes and I think I may be blind permanently now.

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
JustanotherGamer said:
I stopped playing because players would hit the surrender button less than 2 min into a game feels like it's quit so we can get ip quicker? ; ; I hate quitting even when i'm loosing.
Surrender treshold has always been => 20mins so I'm not sure what kind of hackers you get partnered up with.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Jim_Callahan said:
Why would you waste your opponent's time, or your own, simply making a game you've already lost into a less enjoyable experience for everyone.
So, if my opponent is incapable of pushing into my base, how do they deserve a quick win? Maybe they should just LEARN TO PLAY BETTER? instead of relying on me to concede the game for their benefit.

Honestly; if my team took 20 minutes to wrap up what should have been done in 5, I'm not going to get cranky on the other team for not surrendering, I'm going to say I wish we had played better.

And holding back an enemy that should have won already is a very enjoyable experience to me, mind. I think of it as me serving them some humble pie, and I'm a cynical, petty guy, so I like doing that.

It's different if you think you can swing back, obviously, but when you're done and know it allowing the match to conclude in a reasonable time frame is simple politeness.
If it's done and an immediate defeat is inevitable, surrender is largely irrelevant because it'll all be over in minutes one way or the other. But if the opponent holding positional advantage is unable to convert it into a quick victory through their own skill, they simply do not deserve a quick victory. Instead of whining about why I'm not surrendering when I've already lost, maybe they should play better and make sure I really have lost.

One of the best LoL teams in the world all but pushed back another team into their base, but were unable to make the final push. They proceeded to lose the game they had "wrapped up", with the situation looking "hopeless" for the other team.

As long as my opponent isn't crushing me quickly, I will not concede, as if they're incapable of pushing in, they're also open for a surprise attack. But if they are crushing me quickly, my surrender will shave off, what, 5 minutes of game time?

And, thanks to the MOBA communities being what the are, I'm simply going to force people who think they're better at the game than I am to prove that's really so. If they cannot actually push me back and win, they do not deserve to win quickly.

Actually, in such cases what I maybe would use is a draw button for cases of extended stalemate.

rookie411

Aug 31, 2010
Recently I've been playing the Ghost Recon Online beta and what I've found is that my team either dominates or gets dominated, there are rarely closely fought games that you often see in other multi player shooters, maybe because of the more emphasised team aspect, but because of this in balance many rage quits occur between rounds or even mid game

PN8

May 14, 2013
I play Dota 2, a game where the surrender button doesn't exist and I think there should be a surrender button but not like the League of Legends' one. I find that Dota 2 is slower paced than League of Legends so 20 minute is too early for Dota 2. For that reason, unless they find a better system, I think surrender button should be available in Dota 2 after the 40 minute mark.

Why 40 minutes? It's from my own experience with the game. If a game does turn around it starts to happen after the 40 minute mark. There were many times where we were losing and managed to score victory and it always happened after the 40 minute mark. If you are at the 40 minute mark and the game doesn't look like it's turning around you should be able to surrender and not waste another 20-30 minutes.

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
Vegosiux said:
And, thanks to the MOBA communities being what the are, I'm simply going to force people who think they're better at the game than I am to prove that's really so. If they cannot actually push me back and win, they do not deserve to win quickly.

Actually, in such cases what I maybe would use is a draw button for cases of extended stalemate.
You know, I rather like that logic. Everyone I meet seems to have the idea that everyone else is Noobs and idiots and they CLEARLY belong in Challenger Tier but they're held back by all these Noobs and Trolls.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Zhukov said:
If it's unwinnable, surrender.

Do not fucking waste twenty minutes of my time for no good reason.

I'm thinking of Smite here, not LoL or DOTA, but the basic idea is the same.
Fuck your time man, I'm humiliated over here. I feel silly for getting beat in a fight I chose to get into. Damn right I'm going to make your victory leave the sourest taste I possibly can.

Okay I'm not being entirely serious there. I don't surrender on principle - I fight to the bitter end. However there is a practical use - you don't know your opponent. You don't know if they're fighting on a full stomach and a good atmosphere or if they're trying to get the fight over with so they can eat or go to bed.
If it's the former, your defeat is just going to come faster. But the latter, if you keep fighting and make it as hard as possible for them to win, there's every chance they'll make a mistake and you'll get the upper hand. You haven't lost until the results screen appears.

My proudest victory was in Halo 3 Team SWAT - I'd post something relevant but I'm not very good at LoL - where my team were dying every second and the enemy's score was just flying toward the limit. Now I'm very, very good at SWAT, and I yelled at my team to stay somewhere safe. Yeah. I ordered them to camp on Cold Storage, but it was out of necessity, man! With just one member of the team vulnerable, it meant that for every time they killed me, I'd have killed them at least two or three times. Now our score was advancing at three times the rate of theirs.

I still only won with one point to spare. It was tense. I sat back in my sweat and glory and hoped for some kind of praise because I'm full of myself like that.

Everyone left the lobby. Fucking everyone. Wankers.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
hawkeye52 said:
The Wykydtron said:
Well, a certain someone in my LoL team would promote a surrender @ 10 patch...

*anything negative ever happens*

"Right, we're done! Done!"
Yeah I have a friend like that. It's rather frustrating because if you don't surrender he stops paying attention and starts feeding.

Btw I have seen you speak about LoL quite a bit on here. You NA or EU?
I'm on EU West, y'know the most unstable one?

EU Servers are down? Better give NA RP!
Tsukuyomi said:
Normally I don't actually start surrender votes in League unless it's a complete and total steamrolling. I'll go along with it if say, my side is mostly level 12 or 13 and the enemy is almost all 17 or 18 and more than one has their full build of items. Sure, it's POSSIBLE to come back from such a thing, but that's if you're lucky, coordinated, and they make some serious mistakes. As it stands, the times I've tried to overcome such an advantage we've ended up feeding more kills to the enemy and by the time we're maxed out and a few of us are finished on our items, if ANYONE on their team didn't have something they needed, they had it then. Otherwise boots were being sold for the lulz to get that second Deathfire Grasp or something.

I usually try not to get into the "nope! one thing bad happened! we're done!" mentality but every so often something happens that's just....ugh. Like oh? Riven's been fed? Well damn, she's gonna be a pain. Jungle Hecarim just got his three core items and no one but me as the Nami Support is warding? Guess I better save my Qs then, but this is still gonna hurt. I won't surrender just BECAUSE those things happen, but I will consider it if they're following up properly and blowing everyone away and making or extending an impassable lead.

The only exception to this is if the enemy team is stupidly focused on kills as opposed to towers. If my team can hold them off or keep them entertained during late game long enough for me to backdoor their Nexus? Got no problems staying in. Otherwise....well, let's say I'm open to the idea of surrender if the logic is sound.

What really annoys me is the people who WON'T surrender simply because they either don't know enough about the game, or have this gleeful delusion that life is an anime and if we JUST PULL TOGETHER and they use their SPECIAL MAGIC SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE POWERS to suddenly be godly at the game, we can WIN!

.....oh is that true? Let me join you in a moment, then. Right now I have to find a disability cane because I've taken roughly ten Lux Lasers in the last ten minutes and I think I may be blind permanently now.
Y'know taking 10 Lux Lasers in as many minutes is kind of too many. Considering how every Lux in existence fires one off down the middle of mid like clockwork and how it has a decent wind up, I would expect to walk slightly out to the side of them half the time. Though expecting your team to do the same might be going too far

Also that Hecarim better have gone Mobility Boots, Brofist and Spirit Visage as his first three items because that is Pony critical mass. Several times we have won by a fed person building badly. One was a Hecarim who built squishy and even yesterday the 7/0 in 15 minutes Lee Sin built full on support tank instead pure instakill everything damage.

I suppose people just have to learn how to play from behind. Hug towers, split push (but don't get caught) ward your own jungle because people love to lurk and so on.

A l little while ago I went 0/2 within as many minutes because fuck Blitzcrank invades and fuck Irelia walking through my lane >.> and I felt perfectly fine about the situation. For whatever reason, i'm in my element when i'm playing catch up and there is god damn no way that could have gotten any worse. Things can only get better from 0/2 in 2 minutes!

We won that one by the way, as expected >.<

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Thyunda said:
Zhukov said:

Fuck your time man, I'm humiliated over here. I feel silly for getting beat in a fight I chose to get into. Damn right I'm going to make your victory leave the sourest taste I possibly can.
Actually, I meant when I'm on the losing team and my teammates refuse to surrender. That annoys me.

I've had teammates refuse to surrender while sitting out the fight at the same time.

If my opponents are losing and wish to stick it out then good on 'em, I respect that.

Also, the "it's not over till it's over" thing doesn't apply as much to MOBAs as it does to, say, shooters. MOBA game reward success (kills, objectives) with resources, which in turn makes further success more likely. So if the enemy team have 20 more kills than you, they're not only doing better, they are rendered more powerful in terms of hard stats.

(Don't mean to patronize you here if you already know this, but your answer suggested that you don't play MOBA games.)

Yes, reversals are possible. But there comes a point where the dwindling chance of such is outweighed by the fact that my leisure time is being wasted.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
Although the surrender button is useful in some situations like if you were 2 vs 5. I rarely use it unless it's become completely hopeless. There have been far too many games I've played where we actually won even though we were losing before. Maybe its just late game comps or whatever, but I don't use the button often.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
I must be a masochist cause i tend to have more fun on the games where my team is losing than on the games where my team is stomping. Making a comeback or trying to fight the uphill battle are the best bits.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
If you reach the point where they can turret dive and score and ace then yeah it might just be time to call it quits. Sure most games can result in a comeback but sometimes your teammates are so negative that you don't really wanna put in the effort to help them win.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Zhukov said:
Thyunda said:
Zhukov said:

Actually, I meant when I'm on the losing team and my teammates refuse to surrender. That annoys me.

I've had teammates refuse to surrender while sitting out the fight at the same time.

If my opponents are losing and wish to stick it out then good on 'em, I respect that.

Also, the "it's not over till it's over" thing doesn't apply as much to MOBAs as it does to, say, shooters. MOBA game reward success (kills, objectives) with resources, which in turn makes further success more likely. So if the enemy team have 20 more kills than you, they're not only doing better, they are rendered more powerful in terms of hard stats.

(Don't mean to patronize you here if you already know this, but your answer suggested that you don't play MOBA games.)

Yes, reversals are possible. But there comes a point where the dwindling chance of such is outweighed by the fact that my leisure time is being wasted.
It's part of the reason I'm not good at LoL. I make a couple mistakes early on as I'm trying to get into the game and bam, I've set the enemy up to win. But I have had slow starts - I tried playing Dr. Mundo. I hated it at first, and didn't quite grasp the 'health as a resource' concept of the character, so while the enemy charged to the lv18 spot, I was stuck in the 10/11 mark. I started lurking in the jungles and sneaking around them, killing a load of minions and running away when the champions came to stop me. Repeated this till I could compete and eventually we won. Couldn't have been done without a competent team, obviously, but I guess it kind of counts? I could've just sat back and thought, fuck this champ it's crap, and gone. Could've.

Though I don't understand why you'd prevent a surrender if you were sitting the game out anyway - that's just nonsense.