lollipop Chainsaw is a terrible idea.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Its funny, before Bayonetta came out, I don't remember anyone going "Oh no, this game is about a sexually confident witch that kills the bad guys by having her clothes fly off its going to destroy gaming as an artform because...sex...and boobs..."

Mind you, I'm amazed at what that game got away with.

Lollipop Chainsaw is perhaps one of the only games I'm excited about this year, when you strip it down to its bare bones its Buffy the Vampire Slayer killing zombies with a chainsaw and it has Jimmy Urine from Mindless Self Indulgence as the voice of Zed the Zombie. Its stupid, dumb fun, I can't wait.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I see it as kind of making fun of the trend and it's clearly meant to be comedy so I don't have too much of an issue with it.

It's at least nice to have another female lead I guess.
Wait what is the difference between over the top like this and over the top like soul calibur?
Im not judging you just wondering what is the difference.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
Hey guys, I saw a movie that had explosions and sex in it! It wasn't artistic or original like some movies, so movies as a medium are going to get hurt by it!
No. Not every game needs to be artistic, just like every other medium.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
some say modern art is not art, some say photo manipulation is not art. Art is working hard at somthing, to send a message or just to make a spectical, some art is even offensive. Lady Gaga thinks of herself as an art piece. Art is in the eye of the beholder. You say games are not art? To you they are not. You say games are art? To you they are.

And please Shut up about this topic already, it is getting old. Just like ME3 threads

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Gordon_4 said:
TaintedSaint said:
But come on its a half naked chick in a schoolgirl uniform killing zombies
Well I'm sold. Here I come Lollipop Chainsaw >D
Gordon_4 said:
TaintedSaint said:
Shut up and take my money!

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
TaintedSaint said:
Gaming as a whole in recent years has tried to prove to the world that it is a valid artistic medium on par with film and should be protected under the first amendment I believe games like Lollipop Chainsaw do nothing but hurt the progress
that the medium has made of the years.
People in politics over the years have said that games are too violent and have too much sex in them and this game is blatantly throwing it in everyone face. Sure the game companies can say "its a mature game kids should not play it" But come on its a half naked chick in a schoolgirl uniform killing zombies basically every 14 year old boys wet dream.
I for one and not normally one to cry that games have too much sex and violence but this game is blatantly spiting in the face of all the hard work game developers have fought for for so long.
Half naked chick in schoolgirl uniform... Interesting way of describing a cheerleader. Accurate, I suppose, but why mention the 'half-naked' thing. She's not topless, and since her boyfriend is literally a head, it's hard to justify any form of sexual content. Bayonetta's costume was her hair, but you didn't cry foul on that did you?

Very few games have an actual sex scene, the closest I can remember was Fahrenheit. Dragon Age was more 'artistic', as the characters were in underwear. Mass Effect had the same thing.

As I have not been a 14 year-old boy for over 13 years, my wet dream did not involve a cheerleader running around with a chainsaw killing zombies. If this is your interpretation of a wet dream, you may need to look closer at your life.

Oh, and BTW, Games are protected by the First Ammendment. Most game developers don't try to approach sex or violence in a matter htat makes you think, it's just sex appeal and violence.

Big difference.

ubersyanyde

Dec 9, 2011
Suda51 has a get out of jail free card for anything game related, so fuck any politician who uses this as an argument against gaming.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
If movies can get away with Grind House and still be considered art, we are fine. If paintings can survive Boris Valajo (spelling) and Julie Bell and still be considered art, we are fine. If books can survive Kim Harrison and still be considered art, we are fine.

My point is simple, art forms as a medium have always been rife with sex and violence. This is the nature of art in general (well not ONLY SEX and Violence). Art is trying to push the borders of your mind and elicit an emotional response in you. Yet not all iterations of said art are used as such, they are just fun or entertaining.

So I find the, this game hurts games as an art form, rhetoric to be complete BS

Davatehi

Dec 23, 2010

Yes, a slashed canvas

It's not going to set back anything. Stop overreacting and enjoy stuff instead.

Xenowolf

Feb 3, 2012
"On pair with film?" Just look at Hot Tub Time Machine and then tell me that film is always artistic. And besides, the point of Lollipop Chainsaw isn't meant to be the fanservice, it's meant to be just ridiculously over-the-top.

KingHodor

Aug 30, 2011
Lollipop Chainsaw having a cheesy, exploitative premise is wholly intentional - if anything, it's a parody of sexy protagonists in skimpy outfits and ultra-bloody finishing moves.

Heck, the game might be such a blatant parody that the humor seems relatively shallow at first glance, but after learning that the script was done by James Gunn (writer/director of one of my favorite movies ever, "Super"), I am keeping my hopes up that we may be looking at one of the funniest games of the upcoming months.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Artistic... In the words of Inigo Montoya. " You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means"

The whole point of Art is that it has no rules. Anything that's an expression of oneself for the view of others IS ART. All art is subjective. I happen to think that Lollipop Chainsaw will be a good representaion of the Art of gaming, because I respect the people making it.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Gordon_4 said:
TaintedSaint said:
The way you quoted it reminds me of the game onechanbara(also made into a live action movie). If the gaming scene can survive onechanbara it will survive lollipop chainsaw. Not like LP is doing anything really new.

Ninjafire72

Feb 27, 2011
Honestly I'd much rather LC than another serious straight-faced shooter. At least LC is giving us a chance to sit back and relax, watching zombie heads and sparkles fly around; as opposed to some soldier standing next you yelling "Ramirez! Reload!" over and over.

And if you ask me, LC can be considered art as well; it's a thoughtful and clever use of juxtaposition that at the very least stops it becoming 'mindless violence with half-naked schoolgirl'.

weker

May 27, 2009
TaintedSaint said:
Gaming as a whole in recent years has tried to prove to the world that it is a valid artistic medium on par with film and should be protected under the first amendment I believe games like Lollipop Chainsaw do nothing but hurt the progress
People in politics over the years have said that games are too violent and have too much sex in them and this game is blatantly throwing it in everyone face. Sure the game companies can say "its a mature game kids should not play it" But come on its a half naked chick in a schoolgirl uniform killing zombies basically every 14 year old boys wet dream.
I for one and not normally one to cry that games have too much sex and violence but this game is blatantly spiting in the face of all the hard work game developers have fought for for so long.
All I can really say is that if allowing games to be art in the eyes of some government official in America, we lose games like Lollipop chainsaw, then Im going to start going against art games.
Games are meant to be fun and enjoyable something may art games still miss out on, lollipop chainsaw knows this and works to be an enjoyable game and love letter to many classic horror films.
I could understand if you had targeted something like COD, or Manhunt, but lollipop chainsaw? I guess your just ignorant to what sort of audience it's trying to get not to mention all the things that make the game stand out above most game this year.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
This is a Suda51 game. All of his games look terrible on paper, but his special brand of insanity can generally make them work.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
TaintedSaint said:
You do realise they make shit films too? Hell Michel Bay has a career yet films are still considered an artistic medium..

Take a look at most horror films, often they juxtapose scantily clad young ladies with their high gore - no one would ever call them artistic, they're popcorn flicks, time to let the brain off for five minutes and enjoy some base sensibilities - I don't see Lollipop Chainsaw in any different light to them.

Some of the trailers it actually looks like they've retained the 'corny comedy' most b-movie horror flicks are imbued with.

Am artistic medium doesn't all have to be about art, photography is an artistic medium I enjoy a great deal, composing grand landscape images - other times I just want to look at bewbz..