lollipop Chainsaw is a terrible idea.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
don't like it? Don't buy it. As for me, Lollipop Chainsaw looks great and i will be buying it on day one.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
EA's Deadspace 2 advertisement of "Your Mom will hate it" did more to set back gaming than 20 of these types of games that actually deserve being there.

Apr 28, 2008
If the "scary" movies (like Scary Movie, Epic Movie, ect) can exist without diminishing movies as an art form, Lollipop Chainsaw can exist without diminishing games as an art form.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
Eh, I don?t care really since it is one game out of thousands. What is considered art is subjective. Besides, I rather have games like this made. It?s not grim and dark and realistic like everything else on the market. Kudos to Suda for being... eccentric. Besides, not making games like this would be more of a step back for me because it would seem like the industry is caving into pressure.

saxxon.de

Apr 18, 2011
Nah, any artform has its fair share of pulp aswell. That doesn't make it any less of an art form. Games like Lollipop Chainsaw have any right to exist. I'd even go as far as saying: They even have to be made to give the medium the variety it needs and reflect the human nature's wish to express itself, just like pulp movies, music, pictures, etc. do.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
So just because it's a artistic medium, we can't use artistic talent to have some silly fun?

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
If the future is full of nothing but artsy games, than I weep for the boring future it will be

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
rolfwesselius said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I see it as kind of making fun of the trend and it's clearly meant to be comedy so I don't have too much of an issue with it.

It's at least nice to have another female lead I guess.
Wait what is the difference between over the top like this and over the top like soul calibur?
Im not judging you just wondering what is the difference.
I think it's the tone. Lollipop Chainsaw is in the spirit of comedy and suggests that this sort of blatant pandering is something to be amused by and mocked.

I guess that's why it doesn't bother me that much.

IGN's model competition made me gag a bit though, was a bit too far I think.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
erttheking said:
So? Micheal Bay still makes movies but films are still considered respectable.
Burn! Although I agree completely. Just think of all the gore filled exploitation movies that exist, did they undermine the artistic merits of movies as an artistic medium?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
TaintedSaint said:
Gaming as a whole in recent years has tried to prove to the world that it is a valid artistic medium on par with film and should be protected under the first amendment I believe games like Lollipop Chainsaw do nothing but hurt the progress
that the medium has made of the years.
People in politics over the years have said that games are too violent and have too much sex in them and this game is blatantly throwing it in everyone face. Sure the game companies can say "its a mature game kids should not play it" But come on its a half naked chick in a schoolgirl uniform killing zombies basically every 14 year old boys wet dream.
I for one and not normally one to cry that games have too much sex and violence but this game is blatantly spiting in the face of all the hard work game developers have fought for for so long.
And yet Lolipop Chainsaw is going to be one of the most clever games to come out this year.

Lunatic High

Apr 14, 2012
There have been countless movies and books etc that have hurt the representation as an art form thing for each medium, anyone else here thought the happening was a good show that represented movies as an art form? If you did I certainly hope someone stabs you in the eye GAWD what a fucking horrible movie. Just becasue something can be seen as an art form doesn't mean it must be disected to be understood, sometimes artwork is just best looked at to be appreciated. Art is not static, art is fluid, constantly changing shape to find meaning ,and perspective depending on the perspective of the voyuer, the artist/s, and the society. Plus killing things is fucking fun.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Not even got a clue what it is, but bad art does not render the entire medium non-art. It's just bad art.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Suda 51 and Lollipop Chainsaw, and everything else he has made, are an example of the advancement of the medium. We have now, thanks to Suda 51, achieved a level of "grindhouse games." We already have plenty of mindless action games, deep dramas (regardless of how people feel about endings), and a large number of ongoing serials (MMOs). That is if you want to use a TV/Film comparison.
Now that we are up to the level where we feel comfortable ripping on our own culture and producing schlock of terrible-yet-highly-entertaining quality than we have achieved a level at least equal to the other forms of narration that are out there and can now move on to surpass those and stop worrying about how Games are viewed by its siblings of other media.

Personally, I love Suda 51 stuff and can not wait for Lollipop Chainsaw to make me laugh my ass off playing a cheerleader with a bedazzled chainsaw cutting down monsters.

Sancrkf

Dec 6, 2010
If games being art means I won't get silly stuff like Lollipop Chainsaw, that actually looks like a game and seems fun to play, then I'm absolutely against games being considered art.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I saw this at SXSW, they had a giant school bus and everything.

I won't hate on it because it's all about the lolis, I'll hate on it because it's a generic hack and slash that isn't terribly fun to play.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
Ladies and gentlemen .... and you, yes you....

This is the reason why the whole "games as art" shit pisses me off.

I like my over the top absurd games. Some people get it in their heads that all games must now be like Journey to move the medium forward.

To them I say, piss off and leave our fun games alone.

Seriously, as soon as I saw the words "valid artistic medium" I just thought to myself: "Oh for fucks sake...it's one of THOSE people"

I'm not sure what it says about my mindset but when I see something like this:

I just think: "Brilliant" Snobby artsy fartsy people be damned!