Look. But don't post.

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
I wonder about this all the time on art sites.
I post up my art, and it gets a ton of faves. Not a single person comments.
Now, I personally reserve faves for ONLY my most favorite art. I actively avoid faving more than one piece of art from a single person within the space of a year or two unless they've REALLY earned it. I know it's not like this for everyone, but even for those who favorite anything they kind of like... if it's worth favoriting and saving it to look at again later, you MUST have something to say about it. I don't even mind when it's just "Very nice!" or "Lol he looks like he's doing [thing he's not doing]". I appreciate all comments and do my best to respond to them all when they come.

But when someone favorites and just leaves without saying anything, it's really awkward for me. I ran out of unique ways to thank people for favorites long ago, and now I go on someone's page just to see they have nothing but a long line of "thanks 4 fav" comments there, and I just shrug my shoulders and leave.

Honestly, to me, it's borderline RUDE to favorite and leave like that.
But... I'm probably way off topic here.

*looks around awkwardly*
What were we talking about, again?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Simple- I want to read even if it's not something I want to post my comments.

Sometimes depending on the topic like something complicated, politics or heavy discussion my English isn't good enough to post a well thought out comment without coming off as an idiot (English IS my first language, I'm just bad at spelling, grammar and punctuation).

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I'm a serial window shopper, I just can't be arsed to go in to the shop and actually buy the product.

Or in thread terms, I just can't be arsed to comment. Plus it's sometimes more interesting to watch other people discuss it... and lazy.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
rabidmidget said:
I find that there's no point posting in a thread when everyone is already saying the exact same thing.
Just wanted to say much love to the FSM!

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
you won't know what's in a thread until you click it
i only post if i have the strong feeling to share my thoughts... and that's mostly when i absolutely disagree with the thread starter (or find it ridiculous to even have a thread about something, like in this case)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
If there is a poll I often think my opinion is best explained by the poll. If my opinion has already come up I see no reason to post. Sometimes I just find the thread utterly uninteresting. Usually in the case where the thread titles says little of what the thread is about.

Also in the case of a thread where everyone who sees it posts in it you need to remember that the views follow the 2N-1 rule where N is the number of posts. When you click on a thread title that will be the first view, when you post the page will refresh and count as a second view, the original post will not have been open before it was created thus I subtract one view. In the case of a thread including a poll and if everyone votes and posts that will make it 3N-1.
You also need to consider that the original poster will return to the thread in order to see responses since he's usually interested in seeing how the thread is going and to see if he can get a nice discussion out of it. The same goes with other posters though not all are interested. Also threads have several pages so each time you switch page that will count as an extra view. Some threads are enjoyable, but I don't have anything to add to the discussion.

Penitent

Oct 25, 2008
Sometimes I'm just nervous of not saying the right things, or otherwise giving a half-asked post instead. It's better for the post quality to be high than low, isn't it?

Trunipbob

Oct 13, 2010
Most of the time, I click on the thread, thinking it's going to be something interesting. Then I realize that, No, this is not interesting. So I leave.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Because once the topic gets beyond 2 pages no one ever looks at the posts unless they are involved in an active discussion.
I mean a post like this right here, no one will read it.
I just wasted my time typing this...
No really unless I post something that attracts mod attention this post might as well be about fish.
I mean look no one is reading this post, if you are reading this then you are just skimming in order to find something you want to argue about so you'll quote and continue.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I will only post if I feel my input adds something unique or interesting. This means I usually only comment on threads where I feel some level of expertise, for example discussing my habits on forum posting.

I only bothered to say this, which I'm sure someone else has already said, because I feel it sums up why a lot of people don't feel the need to post.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Panorama said:
rabidmidget said:
I find that there's no point posting in a thread when everyone is already saying the exact same thing.
Just wanted to say much love to the FSM!
Thanks, it's been a while since someone's commented on my avatar.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
You do realize the problem of what you're asking right now, right? You'd like to hear why some people don't answer to topics, but if they tell you then they don't qualify as people who don't answer to topics since they did answer.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
I don't post a reply if my reply is redundant. That means if I'm pretty sure nobody is going to read it anyway. While I do love writing post I'm narcissistic enough that I want someone to actually read it.
Sometimes I feel disgusted by all the huge sparkling images of bland squirmish rainbow pony pictures and before losing my eyesight and tearing my face apart I don't want to comment anymore.

And sometimes the comments content are otherwise revulsing so that I don't want to waste the energies of suppressing the urge of throwing up when reading and answering other peoples comments.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
It depend on if I can respond. Sometimes the topic is interesting, but I have nothing to say on it. Sometimes I'm just to lazy to respond. And sometimes I think it is better if I don't voice what I believe.

That last one is rare.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Cos their real opinion is too weird/embarrassing to post.
Cos they cant think of a way of answering without getting a low content warning.
Cos voting on the poll was all that's necessary.
Cos someone already said it.
Cos they escapist is too laggy for the post to get through.

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
NiPah said:
Because once the topic gets beyond 2 pages no one ever looks at the posts unless they are involved in an active discussion.
I mean a post like this right here, no one will read it.
I just wasted my time typing this...
No really unless I post something that attracts mod attention this post might as well be about fish.
I mean look no one is reading this post, if you are reading this then you are just skimming in order to find something you want to argue about so you'll quote and continue.
The reason I don't post is because I always read every post on a topic before contributing and if my opinion has already been voiced, then I don't bother repeating it. It can be a bit arduous if I stumble across a topic that is already 10 - 15 pages long, but that is just how I roll.

Maybe we should get one of those "thumbs up" buttons like youtube so you would know that people read a post and agreed with it but felt repeating the point was redundant.

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
Normally i wouldn't post on this one, as its already in a few pages. Unless its something amazing i wouldn't normally read all of the pages and i generally think that no one will read my little post at the end of the 27th page.

I wonder if anyone will respond to this one?

Horuta

Nerds tend to pick on me;)
Feb 17, 2011
Kargathia said:
Horuta said:
I was browsing the forums to see if something interesting caught my eye to read before going to bed and I noticed something that I know I've noticed before but I never really noticed it before. Why do so many people look at a topic but than don't comment on it? I mean, it was interesting enough to click on, to read, but not enough to share our thoughts on? (And we all know our own thoughts are the only ones that matter anyway:)
Are we all just window shoppers? Was the topic not what we thought it was? Or is our typing gimp just away at the moment so alas we can't put our thoughts to screen?
On the contrary, it would be lovely if more people who have nothing to say actually would keep quiet.

Do interpret that however you want.
I like you! That is NOT sarcasm. Can we be friends? No really. Can we be friends on here? Like if I send you a friends thingy can we be friends? You seem full of dry wit and I like it. . .. damn it's hard as Hell not to sound like an asshole stalker when your just typing letters unto a screen . ..