Look. But don't post.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Horuta said:
Kargathia said:
Horuta said:
I was browsing the forums to see if something interesting caught my eye to read before going to bed and I noticed something that I know I've noticed before but I never really noticed it before. Why do so many people look at a topic but than don't comment on it? I mean, it was interesting enough to click on, to read, but not enough to share our thoughts on? (And we all know our own thoughts are the only ones that matter anyway:)
Are we all just window shoppers? Was the topic not what we thought it was? Or is our typing gimp just away at the moment so alas we can't put our thoughts to screen?
On the contrary, it would be lovely if more people who have nothing to say actually would keep quiet.

Do interpret that however you want.
I like you! That is NOT sarcasm. Can we be friends? No really. Can we be friends on here? Like if I send you a friends thingy can we be friends? You seem full of dry wit and I like it. . .. damn it's hard as Hell not to sound like an asshole stalker when your just typing letters unto a screen . ..
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahaha...

... sure.

Horuta

Nerds tend to pick on me;)
Feb 17, 2011
Gottesstrafe said:
Say whatever you like about the distinctness of a topic's title and respective content, but the first thing I noticed here was that horrid run-on sentence you had going on in the very beginning.
I can respect that you noticed my horrible ruuuuuuuuuuuuun on sentence. I am not a writer. I may become better as I start delving into the forums more and someday I may shock you with an amazingly well written sentence. Until that day all I can defend myself with is this, I do know how to cook:)

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
I sometimes just want to see others ideas.
Sometimes I don't know what the thread will be about before clicking and just want to find out.
Sometimes I start an idea then just stop caring.

On another note though I must ask.
Where does it say how many people have viewed a thread? I can't see it.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
[sub] I was tempted to not post in this thread, (hah!) but I'm going to anyways[/sub]

A lot of people like lurking?

Either that, or they went to post something, but they saw that someone else had posted what they were about to post.
(which happens to me a lot, dammit!)

Horuta

Feb 17, 2011
NiPah said:
Because once the topic gets beyond 2 pages no one ever looks at the posts unless they are involved in an active discussion.
I mean a post like this right here, no one will read it.
I just wasted my time typing this...
No really unless I post something that attracts mod attention this post might as well be about fish.
I mean look no one is reading this post, if you are reading this then you are just skimming in order to find something you want to argue about so you'll quote and continue.
I took the time to read your post:)

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Darn, I thought we all would make a ghost thread.

Well, it's a case of why I don't post on some threads: Don't know shit, someone already said what I wanted to say, I've got other places to go because someone's wrong the Internet.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I go into a thread expecting to make some comment, but after reading the OP and some of the comments, I may lose any desire to comment.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Usually it's because I don't have anything meaningful to say about the topic. I only actually post half the replies I start writing because halfway through I realize that I really don't have anything to contribute.

theLadyBugg

May 24, 2010
In addition to all of things that have been said in almost every preceeding post... I actually don't comment if I feel too worked up about what I have to say.

Maybe I'm reading a thread and actively want to argue with what somebody else has posted -- sometimes I even get so far as to start choosing my words or even typing it out. Then I stop, take a breath, and ask myself, "Do I really need to say this? Yes, I believe xyz, but do I really need to start an argument about it in the forums? Am I expecting to accomplish anything this way?" Usually, the answer is no, and I move on.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Often times there are misleading titles or we just want to read other people's responses or we simply enter the thread and decide against posters.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Because I'll get halfway through writing a response, and then decide "No, you know what, it's not that important to say this anyway", or "Gee, I guess I can't really think of a clever/decent way to express my opinion, so I won't". If I posted everything I wrote, my post count would easily be more than twice as high as it is now. For everything I decide to post, I decide NOT to post in three or four other places.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Oftentimes I simply don't feel I have anything to contribute. Usually when the topic IS toeing that fine line of being interesting enough to read but NOT interesting enough to comment on.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Dimitriov said:
Sometimes the thread name is misleading, sometimes somebody already posted what you would say, and sometimes the thread is on its 12th page and has turned into a private conversation or flame-war.
I appreciate the irony of the situation, but I'm in a posting mood. Mostly this.

Maybe a thread's title didn't lead to content as interesting as promised, maybe it did and I can't think of anything to say. Maybe what I want to say has already been said. Or maybe there have been hundreds of responses and I don't feel like throwing my voice impotently into the wind.

Horuta

Feb 17, 2011
Pandaman1911 said:
Because I'll get halfway through writing a response, and then decide "No, you know what, it's not that important to say this anyway", or "Gee, I guess I can't really think of a clever/decent way to express my opinion, so I won't". If I posted everything I wrote, my post count would easily be more than twice as high as it is now. For everything I decide to post, I decide NOT to post in three or four other places.
Respect. I've felt that way more times then ever. So most the time I just...stay silent. Which I think is sad. It's not like everyone is reading every post so why are we all so afraid to voice our opinions? Saying what's on our minds is great practice. I believe a horrible writer may become a great writer because of the practice of forums.

kazeryu

Jun 8, 2011
I don't have an understanding of everything so if I cant say something meaningful than I dont post anything.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Well I was tempted to not respond, but *shrug* I suppose I will.

More or less if a topic looks appealing I'll take a look at it. If it turns out to be unappealing, or I feel my answer will just start a flame war, I'll simply not respond for the interest of my own ego and time constraints on the internets some days.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
ravensheart18 said:
Horuta said:
I was browsing the forums to see if something interesting caught my eye to read before going to bed and I noticed something that I know I've noticed before but I never really noticed it before. Why do so many people look at a topic but than don't comment on it? I mean, it was interesting enough to click on, to read, but not enough to share our thoughts on? (And we all know our own thoughts are the only ones that matter anyway:)
Are we all just window shoppers? Was the topic not what we thought it was? Or is our typing gimp just away at the moment so alas we can't put our thoughts to screen?
1) Because the title was interesting, but the topic being discussed was not
2) Because the discussion in the thread had already turned hateful or silly
3) Because there really was nothing to add at that point and +1 posts get you warned/suspended
4) Because its clear from the OP that they were trolling or just so fixed in their opinion there was no point
5) Because you know that your answer would not be popular and nothing good would come of it

and so on...

This actually sums it up really well for me.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Why do so many people look at a topic but than don't comment on it? "
Just curious, happy with the prevailing mood/direction?

"Was the topic not what we thought it was?"
Very often, yes.
I really hate it when it says POLL and then has none.
Because, well, that's just lying/false advertising.

Seriously, add a poll and I'm already 50% more interested in your topic, because I love numbers!