Lurking and you

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
I lurk quite a bit. I was lurking for several months before the first time I actually made an account and started posting. That said, in recent times, I've become a lot more vocal. In fact, the vast majority of my posts have been in the past 6 months.

Gabriela D.

Dec 10, 2010
Pickled Soul said:
Although whenever anyone mentions lurkers I always think of these -
I check out threads which sound interesting, then read the first page of the comments. If it sounds good and I have something to add, I comment. But mostly I lurk. I lurked for about a year before I even joined the Escapist.

Well, when I hear 'lurker', I think of this:

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I lurk... a bit. I post pretty much when I feel like it, and if things are slow/there's not much noteworthy by way of discussions (regardless of forum), to Games we go... virtually impossible to lurk there if you want to retain your sanity...

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I'm mostly a lurker. Mainly because I disagree with a lot of political debates but don't feel like starting an argument. Whenever a thread starts down that road I usually just move on.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
I tend to read more than post. You should realize that most of the real lurky lurkers won't be posting in this here thread. ;)

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
Yeah I would say I do. It is usually because I like a topic, but then feel like I have nothing to add on to it once I read it and the comments following it.

robodukky

Jul 7, 2010
Yeah, I lurk quite often. I like to see the opinions of others on topics, but only really make a contribution if I feel like my opinion needs to be heard.

And what's so bad about lurking, anyway?

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I suppose leaving this thread without posting makes me a lurker by default. So here I am.

As for lurking, it depends on my mood. When I feel like giving a huge rant, I will. And at other times, I just can't be bothered. It also depends on what topic it is and the flow of the discussion, and whether I can meaningfully add to it.

So there are quite a few factors to when I will lurk or not.

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
A real lurker wouldn't post in this thread. I'll make an exception...

im an active user and come on the site every day.

Now look ay my join date an post count.

*disappears into the shadows...*

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I'm a major lurker. I guess it's pretty pathetic, considering that I've been here since March and only made 25 public posts. But, I've always been more of a watcher than a poster.

lol, obstacle turtle for the captcha

Jenitals

Jan 15, 2011
snagli said:
Sometimes the posts of other people I read are so out of my league, I get a little humbled by them, so I don't post anything. I also don't post stuff other people already posted.
You should know, your post just had that effect on me.

Andrecova

Sep 24, 2009
Lurking is pretty much all I do.

Actually a game developer saw me with my laptop near a lake once, and next thing I know, there's a creature in that game based on me...

CJMacM

Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, I lurk. I frequent the forums here, but I haven't posted anything since early August.

TheBoulder

Nov 11, 2009
Yeah I lurk. I don't post often because other people already say what I would have posted. That and nothing ever sounds good in my head.

Apr 6, 2009
I lurk as well. Generally, I find it more interesting to hear what other people have to say about something. And I'm shy. On the internet.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Only so many waking hours in the day for me to lurk. Cant be spending it to "talk" to strangers. That is just preposterous.

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
Bloedhoest said:
Yes, I lurk.
Often I type a sentence and a half ready to post something. But then I delete the text and go lurk somewhere else.
Pretty much what I do and I even type a full response then just say screw it, because usually its a post I know someone is going to get pissy about and I really don't have the energy or the damn to give to respond back. Plus even if it is a post I feel I "have to" respond to because they just butchered an idea or something I'll just stop because I'll figure if they are that ignorant to begin with then whats the point they won't get or are to closed minded/set in their ways to understand my post anyway.