Marijuana - Advice?

wolf92

Aug 13, 2008
If it's not your think, then it's not your thing. No need to really explain it

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
So you're squicked by it! An emotional reaction you recognise as being seperate from logic and reason. Fair enough, dude, I dunno if you even have a problem, I mean if you can already draw the line between what you feel and what you know, that's pretty well adjusted. It's okay to have personal tastes, you don't have to like it.

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
Here's a 100% legitimate reason for you NOT to do weed. It's an end-all-arguments, universal reason that will work no matter what the other person's argument is:

It's illegal.

There you have it. Even if your friends might not have gotten in trouble with it, who knows. Maybe the law might catch on to you in some way or another. Not wanting to have to face legal ramifications is a perfect and most definitely understandable reason. Because honestly, who wants a criminal record, right? It's already hard enough to find a damn job these days, why tack on another hurdle.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Quite frankly... weed is old Fashioned. My parents smoked weed, hell even my Granddad smoked weed back in the 1960's and if I have to hear again about how you "had to be there to understand" makes me think it's like a joke that was never really funny for the reasons people like to admit.

And as with all things old fashioned, we have taken it too far. Weed seem to be mutating from a casual soft drug into a hard drug. These chronic and skunk varieties defeat the purpose of what weed is SUPPOSED to be about, like how you'd enjoy a perfectly chilled beer you might enjoy a spliff. But this endless drive for stronger and stronger varieties regardless of the blend or aroma just shows what weed smoking is today:

Just another Drug Habit.

It's nothing but the pursuit of empty and meaningless highs, they're not different from kids sniffing glue.

So it was my parents catty enthusiasm for the doobie in contrast with the way it's used today has completely turned me off. To spite how liberal the police are with it I want it about as much as I want to dress like this guy:

God damn hippies. Now THEY know how to ruin people's fun! The truth is THEY are the man now.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
The only thing that bothers me is when people start saying how it isn't bad for you and stuff. It isn't as addictive as tobacco, but YOU ARE STILL BREATHING SMOKE INTO YOUR LUNGS!

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
TakeyB0y2 said:
Here's a 100% legitimate reason for you NOT to do weed. It's an end-all-arguments, universal reason that will work no matter what the other person's argument is:

It's illegal.

There you have it. Even if your friends might not have gotten in trouble with it, who knows. Maybe the law might catch on to you in some way or another. Not wanting to have to face legal ramifications is a perfect and most definitely understandable reason. Because honestly, who wants a criminal record, right? It's already hard enough to find a damn job these days, why tack on another hurdle.
Laws on the books are not a substitute for a legitimate argument. Unless you think, for example, appealing to segregation laws in the 1950s would have been a "100% legitimate" excuse for racism.

Thomas Jefferson is quoted as saying "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Indeed if a man cannot support his views by any other way than appealing to laws, then he is not only logically bankrupt, but has failed in his basic human obligation to do justice.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
A Mad Monk 2 said:
brainslurper said:
The only thing that bothers me is when people start saying how it isn't bad for you and stuff. It isn't as addictive as tobacco, but YOU ARE STILL BREATHING SMOKE INTO YOUR LUNGS!
exactly. any type of smoke in your lungs is bad. plus, weed is addictive. i forgot what study it was but i believe it said there is a 14% chance to become addicted to weed.

so in order for weed to be said non-addictive then it has to be 0%
NO MAN THE SMOKE WASHES OUT ALL THE BAD VIBES MAN PUT THERE BY THE CORPORATIONN

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
TakeyB0y2 said:

It's illegal.
That argument only works for people who never ever, not-ever, break the law.

That includes piracy, littering, libel, riding a bicycle on the pavement, drinking while driving (I don't mean drunk, I means sipping coffee from a mug while driving). And even cyberbullying which is in fact a crime now in so many jurisdictions to spite it being broad enough to include trolling. Even failing to wear a seatbelt or driving a car while allowing a passenger to not wear a seatbelt.

And it's undermined even more by how in so many jurisdictions the use and consumption of Cannabis has actually been decriminalised, it is a controlled substance but it is not a crime to have some on your possession. It will be confiscated unless it is such a quantity to indicate you are a dealer. So there isn't actually a legal reason to avoid weed. Not to mention how in California you can legally obtain weed by complaining to doctors, etc.

And of course, not all laws are right just because they are law. It used to be a crime to help a slave escape from their master, the law is clearly wrong there and is it really an argument to turn an escaped slave over to the authorities just because the law says so?

The legal angle is I'm afraid not a rock-solid basis for abstinence. Especially for a crime that can be so minor and is so hard to detect.

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
Deathmageddon said:
Sure, it won't kill you, but it turns you into a useless sack of what should be human. I'd rather be dead. People should do more with their lives than get high and eat Cheetos all day. Just saying.
We should instead spend all our time on internet forums saying how wasting time is terrible.

Edit: Take l's to the face daily my friend. Light up a blunt ASAP matter of fact.

Truehare

Nov 2, 2009
I won't go into the matter of how you should feel about it, because that is your choice. But I think you shouldn't "forbid" your GF to smoke it when she's alone, only when you're around. Because that is HER choice. I mean, it's not like she's cheating on you or anything.

Of course, when I say this, I assume she does it only occasionally, but if she has a problem with it, then it is your duty as someone who cares about her to do something. But as long as she's not harming you or herself, let her be.

Note: I know you didn't outright forbid her from doing it, that's why I used quotes. But if you are worried that she's doing it behind your back, then yes, you have forbidden it, willingly or not.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
I have a friend just like you with the whole weed thing. He just will not accept it regardless of the law or anything. Then again, he also abhors smoking cigarettes and drinking.

...He makes that decision based on how he was brought up. So it's morality that tells him not to go out partying and drinking and getting high.

I realize that your mom and family and friends do all these things, but were you originally brought up to resist all these things? I was subjected to D.A.R.E which was an anti-drug initiative for all elementary school students in Miami and it worked quite well until my junior year in high school.

Perhaps you submitted to the anti-drug dogma and allowed it to soak into your brain. That isn't a bad thing entirely, but does tend to make people a bit uptight when dealing with the issue.

I'm probably wrong, but I'm making my assertion based on my friend and the info you have given.

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
isometry said:
Laws on the books are not a substitute for a legitimate argument. Unless you think, for example, appealing to segregation laws in the 1950s would have been a "100% legitimate" excuse for racism.

Thomas Jefferson is quoted as saying "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Indeed if a man cannot support his views by any other way than appealing to laws, then he is not only logically bankrupt, but has failed in his basic human obligation to do justice.
You're... Kinda missing my point.

All I'm saying is, is it's illegal, and if you don't want to do it or feel uncomfortable about using it, then there's your reason! I think it's perfectly reasonable to not want to do something because you don't want to face the potential legal trouble.

And in response to your second paragraph, that's not a very responsible thing to do. Vocally protesting against something you find unjust is one thing, but doing something illegal just because you think the law is stupid isn't gonna get you anywhere. When you're landed with a $300 dollar possession fine and a criminal record, you've done the exact opposite of accomplishing something.

Treblaine said:

That includes piracy, littering, libel, riding a bicycle on the pavement, drinking while driving (I don't mean drunk, I means sipping coffee from a mug while driving). And even cyberbullying which is in fact a crime now in so many jurisdictions to spite it being broad enough to include trolling. Even failing to wear a seatbelt or driving a car while allowing a passenger to not wear a seatbelt.

And it's undermined even more by how in so many jurisdictions the use and consumption of Cannabis has actually been decriminalised, it is a controlled substance but it is not a crime to have some on your possession. It will be confiscated unless it is such a quantity to indicate you are a dealer. So there isn't actually a legal reason to avoid weed. Not to mention how in California you can legally obtain weed by complaining to doctors, etc.

And of course, not all laws are right just because they are law. It used to be a crime to help a slave escape from their master, the law is clearly wrong there and is it really an argument to turn an escaped slave over to the authorities just because the law says so?

The legal angle is I'm afraid not a rock-solid basis for abstinence. Especially for a crime that can be so minor and is so hard to detect.
Er, please tell me you're not saying that it's okay to do one thing that's illegal just because you can get away with doing other illegal activities.

Sure, not all laws are right, but that doesn't mean you can just go breaking them willy nilly. All that will do is get you into trouble. By all means, protest the law! Rally forth others who agree with you! Make petitions, gather information, statistics! Do something professional and worthwhile, and who knows, maybe things might just change. Just going out and going against the law isn't going to accomplish anything.

Also, just because a crime is considered minor or hard to detect doesn't zero out ALL chances that you'll get caught. Of course it's a rock solid basis. Why the heck would anyone WANT to potentially get into legal trouble?

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
Its because your moral compass is lawful.
Realize that the law isn't the undeniable truth of right and wrong and you'll stop having this problem.

Thaa'ir

Feb 10, 2011
Coming from a stoner, I can see why it would bother you, particularly if you've had good friends who turned into hardcore stoners. Perhaps because it is illegal? Perhaps because it is some weird, unfamiliar, shady substance? I do not know. Don't worry about it. It's better you play it safe to stay in the army anyways.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Nimcha said:
Hagi said:
Nimcha said:
Hagi said:
Legalizing weed would probably go a long way towards removing it. It works where I'm from (the Netherlands) and we have among the lowest weed usage rates in the western world.
I'm sorry but that's just wrong. It's only legal up to a point.
I know, I could write a few paragraphs explaining how exactly the system works.

But for most responsible practical uses it basically boils down to legalized.

And if we're going for the full story then it isn't even legal up to a point. It's completely illegal. There's just another law stating that you can't be arrested and/or fined for breaking that first law as long as you keep to certain amounts and locations.
I'd say that's a pretty good summary.
Who'd guess :D, a single paragraph.

Maybe our laws aren't quite as convulated as I originally thought.

Lineoutt

Sock Hat
Jun 26, 2009
weker said:
I think weed is not allowed as it is harmful to your health, just like drinking and smoking, only difference is the government won't remove them as their firmly in our culture. Personally it should not be allowed but if that's the case neither should drinking or smoking, or the alternative which I prefer is both weed be legalized.

Only downside to excessive use is it has been claimed to cause psychosis.
*cough cough* ok a lot of people here have bad facts, nothing personal but I feel I should fix a few (this isnt only directed at you).

The reason it is illegal is because of the paper industry and I'm not going to go into it but the its absolutely about money. The reason alcohol is legal is not only because its a large part of our culture but when it was illegalized in the 20s organized crime skyrocketed and people like Al Capone made a lot of money that the government coulnt tax. Literally weed has never killed a single person and it is completely non addictive, it does not lead towards a lazy person and any person who says that it was because of weed had that personality flaw to begin with. What it does do is take up time since if you are sky high (not just a bit high) you pretty much have to put off tasks. In fact in many people it increases productivity by means of keeping the user in an increased state of happiness, relaxation and openness. Meaning it takes care of the stress that makes one not want to work. It has the addictive power of about skyrim so if you absolutely love it and have a lot of access then you are probably going to spend every available hour smoking it instead of doing homework, but when your stash is all out youll be damned if you have the slightest inclination to suck dick to get more.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
TakeyB0y2 said:
Treblaine said:

Er, please tell me you're not saying that it's okay to do one thing that's illegal just because you can get away with doing other illegal activities.

Sure, not all laws are right, but that doesn't mean you can just go breaking them willy nilly. All that will do is get you into trouble. By all means, protest the law! Rally forth others who agree with you! Make petitions, gather information, statistics! Do something professional and worthwhile, and who knows, maybe things might just change. Just going out and going against the law isn't going to accomplish anything.

Also, just because a crime is considered minor or hard to detect doesn't zero out ALL chances that you'll get caught. Of course it's a rock solid basis. Why the heck would anyone WANT to potentially get into legal trouble?
My point is, it would be hypocritical to abstain from weed JUST because it is illegal, then go torrent some music. Not that the entire law is bunk because a few are repeatedly ignored, just that the law as an absolute isn't sacrosanct.

Arguably, you are hurting more people by piracy than by smoking a doobie. But there are many other reasons not to get recreational highs on any drugs.

"Why the heck would anyone WANT to potentially get into legal trouble?"

Same reason people pirate movies, it benefits them. It is pleasurable to smoke and the risk of apprehension is low and the punishment in many places is minor. But as far as I'm concerned that route of pleasure is one I don't want to go down, the way I see it is doesn't matter if chemicals grew in a plant cell or were synthesised in a lab, it's still artificial chemical highs and that is affecting the brain in ways the human mind is not well adapted to. That's my opinion, that's why I don't smoke it.

Remember, I live in the UK where the standard response from police on being caught with a spliff is to have it confiscated and be given a verbal warning. Over here, the law is little to no discouragement at all. The anti-drugs media and PSAs have always focused more on the personal than the legal ramifications because the law is so toothless on this.

PS: if it was illegal to covet escaping slaves, you can bet you're ass I'll break that law to covet any who needed my help. Because yeah, after sending him back to the whip it's little consolidation to say "hey, I'll make a big fuss okay? I'll start an internet petition, that'll really help you". The law is not infallible. Nothing is. But what does that have to do with weed? Nothing directly, potheads are not oppressed slaves, but they aren't hurting anyone except maybe themselves by being such jackasses, I must make that clear. But put it this way, I'm not the type of guy who will go out of their way to tattle on cannabis smokers trying to get them punished when their habit is not negatively affecting me nor anyone in society.

AntMarch

Nov 16, 2011
Well, here's my two cents on OP's situation.
Weed's unhealthy. Worse than cigarettes. Same effect on your lungs as cigarettes, but if you were to smoke as much marijuana as there is tobacco in the average cigarette, it'd be roughly the equivalent of a pack. Our laws here in the US aren't about the health issues. Well, maybe to an extent. But it was stated to e that if alcohol were more recently discovered it would be considered a narcotic. That's a culture thing, I get it. This doesn't mean I'm against it, I think people should be able to mess with their bodies as much as they like. I mean, it's theirs after all. And it's not like I've never used it. I just don't regularly because of said health concerns. Same reason I don't smoke, drink, etc.
Anyways, I was in the same situation, man. Except both my parents smoked it at one point. In my experience, as long as it's an occasional thing and you don't mind the smell, I think it's alright.