Marvel Reveals Full Phase 3 Slate, Black Panther Actor, More

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
5,449
0
0
Marvel Reveals Full Phase 3 Slate, Black Panther Actor, More



Phase 3 is absolutely huge, with nine new films including Captain Marvel, Black Panther and a two part Avengers: Infinity War movie. Your brain just melted.

Editor's note: Post has been updated and expanded since initial publication

During a "secret" event for fans and press today in Los Angeles at Disney's El Capitan theater, Marvel Studios melted fans' brains when it revealed titles and release dates for all nine Marvel Phase 3 films.

Following Avengers 2, the studio will be releasing:



Captain America: Civil War (May 6th, 2016);
Dr. Strange (Nov. 4th, 2016);
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (May 5th, 2017);
Thor: Ragnarok (July 18th, 2017);
Black Panther (November 3, 2017);
Avengers: Infinity War, Part 1 (May 4th, 2018);
Captain Marvel (July 6th, 2018);
Inhumans (November 2nd, 2018);
Avengers: Infinty War, Part 2 (May 3rd, 2019).



The presentation began with a deliberate and hilarious bit of misdirection, as it was first announced that Captain America 3 would be subtitled "Serpent Society." Obviously, that would have contradicted all recent rumors suggesting a battle between Tony Stark and Steve Rogers influenced by Marvel's Civil War crossover event [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/moviebob/12459-Captain-America-3-Will-Bring-Civil-War-to-the-Marvel-Cinematic-U.2]. However, midway through the presentation, Marvel corrected itself, revealing "Civil War" as Robert Downey, Jr. and Chris Evans were brought out on stage for the announcement.

Meanwhile, 42 actor Chadwick Boseman was announced as the lead in Black Panther, introduced to fans formally by Robert Downey, Jr. and Chris Evans during a skit in which Downey, Jr. and Evans pretended to fight, then demanded Boseman pick sides. Cue wild speculation on how Black Panther will* officially debut in the MCU during Cap 3. It's worth noting, by the way, that in the comics, Black Panther is from the fictional African nation of Wakanda, notable among other things for being the source of the Vibranium used to make Captain America's shield.

Related: the first official poster for Black Panther [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138263-Black-Panthers-Costume-Revealed-in-Marvel-Studios-Art]

It was also confirmed that Captain Marvel will be the Carol Danvers version of the character. No actress has been announced, however Marvel's Kevin Feige hinted at big plans, describing her during the reveal as the "most powerful hero" in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. While this may irk fans who hoped for Kamala Khan, AKA Ms. Marvel, it's worth noting that in the comics, Ms. Marvel was recently confirmed to be an Inhuman. With the Inhumans film now official, Marvel still has a means of bringing the popular character into the MCU.

Not confirmed during today's event: allow Spider-Man to be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138239-Marvel-Casting-Benedict-Cumberbatch-as-Dr-Strange?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all] in some way. Reports today from trade publications insist that's because deals havn't been finalized. However, negotiations are real and ongoing. Our guess: expect a Benedict Cumberbatch announcement soon, but expect to wait a much longer time for anything Spider-related.

Further information was revealed during a Q&A with Kevin Feige held after the event. He confirmed that Marvel had intended to reveal most of this last summer at San Diego Comic Con, but couldn't bring everything together in time. (Which, by the way, explains the otherwise lackluster Hall H panel.) He also confirmed yet again that while Black Widow is "important" in future films, there are no plans for a solo movie just yet.

UPDATE: Badass Digest is reporting that Feige has pretty much confirmed [http://badassdigest.com/2014/10/28/chadwick-boseman-is-black-panther] that Andy Serkis is playing Klaw in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Klaw, of course, is a notable enemy of Black Panther. Read into that what you will...

As nearly everyone has noted, Marvel's event this morning comes in stark contrast to DC's superhero film slate reveal two weeks ago. That reveal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138059-DC-Announces-Wonder-Woman-Green-Lantern-6-Other-Films-Through-2020] happened unceremoniously as part of Warner Bros. quarterly investor presentation. If you're entertained by Hollywood pissing matches (and I am), you'll note that DC's failure to make the most of having announced a Wonder Woman film, not to mention having squandered the opportunity to make all its announcements an event, allowed Marvel to eat its lunch yet again.

* Feige has now confirmed today that Black Panther will first show up in Cap 3 in a sizable role.

Permalink
 

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
1,364
0
0
Wait, so I have to wait 3 more YEARS for the 1 film I have been requesting since they announced the first Avengers film? UGGG. Oh well, at least now I know T'chala will have his day in the sun.
 

Spaceman Spiff

New member
Sep 23, 2013
604
0
0
Sweet. Black Panther and Captain Marvel. And they're stepping up production to 3 movies a year for 2017 and 2018. I won't have to wait as long to get my fix.
 

Ark of the Covetor

New member
Jul 10, 2014
85
0
0
Hmm. What's particularly interesting about this is the implications for Agents of SHIELD - up until now the most plausible fan theory about Skye/her scenery-chewing pappy was that they were Marvel's way of introducing the Inhumans into the MCU, but the fact an explicitly Inhumans-focused movie is coming up but not for 3-4 years makes that pretty unlikely; they can hardly drag such a thin plot thread out for that long before a payoff, assuming AoS even lasts that long, and I doubt Marvel would be all "BAM! - Inhumans baby!" in AoS and then wait years to put out the film that ties into that reveal.
 

deth2munkies

New member
Jan 28, 2009
1,066
0
0
God motherfucking dammit. 1 year between Part 1 and Part 2 of Avengers? Kill Bill only got away with that shit because it was ~6 months.
 

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
12,010
0
41
Country
United States
MatParker116 said:
Look what Thanos found (Pretty much confirms him for Ragnarok)

I assume it will mostly be Loki because:

A. He starts Ragnorak in the original Norse myth
B. They set him up for it basically at the end of the second movie

That said, I hope Surtur is the next big bad alongside Loki.

OT: Ms. Marvel being described as the "most powerful hero" is very bizarre. Not sure what they plan to do with her to put her above the likes of Thor, Hulk and Dr. Strange. Glad she's finally getting her own movie though!

Hope they keep her origin connected to the Kree. Considering their involvement in the Inhumans and her appearance in said movie, I think the chances of that are good!
 

MatParker116

New member
Feb 4, 2009
2,430
0
0
Fappy said:
MatParker116 said:
Look what Thanos found (Pretty much confirms him for Ragnarok)

I assume it will mostly be Loki because:

A. He starts Ragnorak in the original Norse myth
B. They set him up for it basically at the end of the second movie

That said, I hope Surtur is the next big bad alongside Loki.

OT: Ms. Marvel being described as the "most powerful hero" is very bizarre. Not sure what they plan to do with her to put her above the likes of Thor, Hulk and Dr. Strange. Glad she's finally getting her own movie though!

Hope they keep her origin connected to the Kree. Considering their involvement in the Inhumans and her appearance in said movie, I think the chances of that are good!
The reason I say that is the Gaunlet and one of the gems are currently locked in Odin's Vault in Asgard. Thanos's has to go get them and he's one of the few people who could devastate a race of gods (particularly with Odin dead). Loki is probably the one to bring him there though.
 

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
12,010
0
41
Country
United States
MatParker116 said:
Fappy said:
MatParker116 said:
Look what Thanos found (Pretty much confirms him for Ragnarok)

I assume it will mostly be Loki because:

A. He starts Ragnorak in the original Norse myth
B. They set him up for it basically at the end of the second movie

That said, I hope Surtur is the next big bad alongside Loki.

OT: Ms. Marvel being described as the "most powerful hero" is very bizarre. Not sure what they plan to do with her to put her above the likes of Thor, Hulk and Dr. Strange. Glad she's finally getting her own movie though!

Hope they keep her origin connected to the Kree. Considering their involvement in the Inhumans and her appearance in said movie, I think the chances of that are good!
The reason I say that is the Gaunlet and one of the gems are currently locked in Odin's Vault in Asgard. Thanos's has to go get them and he's one of the few people who could devastate a race of gods (particularly with Odin dead). Loki is probably the one to bring him there though.
I can see Thanos perhaps facilitating events in the background so when Asgard falls he swoops in to take the gem.

I don't see if as the main villain of the movie, however.
 

P-89 Scorpion

New member
Sep 25, 2014
466
0
0
Yeah so between 2015-2020 there are 28 DC and Marvel films coming out with more from all 3 studios with Marvel properties to be announced.

Can anyone else say bubble.
 

Kenjitsuka

New member
Sep 10, 2009
3,051
0
0
"Dr. Strange (Nov. 4th, 2016)".
No lead yet announced/chosen, and it will be in theaters in TWELVE months? :O

Anyway, YAY Black Panther, Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Ragnarok, Captain Marvel AND Inhumans!!!!!
I love those storylines and characters! FINALLY!!!
Except... wait like 2.5 years. But still!!! :D :D :D
 

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
4,028
1,399
118
Country
Texas
Genocidicles said:
No mention of Ant Man? Or is that coming before Avengers 2?
The dates for these movies start in 2016. Ant-Man is already slated for sometime in the second half of 2015. They probably didn't bother to say anything about it because the official word's been out on it for a while now. Most of the rest of these, while speculated, had not been confirmed until now, I think.

OT: Looks like that poster floating around for a while now had SOME truth to it. Kinda hard to call whether it was a hoax or an earlier version of their Phase 3 plan. I'm guessing hoax.

Edit:
Kenjitsuka said:
"Dr. Strange (Nov. 4th, 2016)".
No lead yet announced/chosen, and it will be in theaters in TWELVE months? :O

Anyway, YAY Black Panther, Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Ragnarok, Captain Marvel AND Inhumans!!!!!
I love those storylines and characters! FINALLY!!!
Except... wait like 2.5 years. But still!!! :D :D :D
Think you need to check the date on your clock, friend.
 

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
4,931
0
0
Genocidicles said:
No mention of Ant Man? Or is that coming before Avengers 2?
It's coming out 10 weeks after Avengers 2, and was already officially announced with its official title and release date. Also wouldn't be as awesome to lead with that then it would be to do so with Captain America: CIVIL WAR!!!

OT: oh god you have no idea how happy this makes me feel, being the second biggest MCU fanboy there is (the first being Mundane Matt). The only thing I'm wondering is 1) will the two Avengers movies be about civil war, infinity gautlet, or both?, and 2)Will the original Captain Marvel be showing up to hand Danvers her power?
MorganL4 said:
Wait, so I have to wait 3 more YEARS for the 1 film I have been requesting since they announced the first Avengers film? UGGG. Oh well, at least now I no T'chala will have his day in the sun.
Fear not brother in arms, just because Ant Man wasn't on the list doesn't mean they've cancelled it. I find it hard to believe that they would be happy with only 1 movie for 2015, especially given that Marvel's mandate with Disney is pretty much "do what you want, so long as you stay in the black and give us 2 big budget movies each year". I think they didn't mention it only because it had already been announced officially and had its moment in the sun.

Actually, now that I think about it, what prompted this bombshell of an announcement anyway? And how will DC/Warner react this time? The war of comic movie universes escalates for the third time this month.

Edit:

StewShearer said:
Captain America: Civil War (May 6th, 2016);
On further reflection, it seems the image shows a clear "Captain America: Serpent Society" and not "Civil War"
 

hermes

New member
Mar 2, 2009
3,865
0
0
Kenjitsuka said:
"Dr. Strange (Nov. 4th, 2016)".
No lead yet announced/chosen, and it will be in theaters in TWELVE months? :O
More like twenty four months...
 

MatParker116

New member
Feb 4, 2009
2,430
0
0
So who wants to guess who Carol will lock horns with? As the "MCU's most powerful hero" it's gonna have to be a very big hitter. There's a storyline from the comics involving the Brood but it could easily come off as an Alien rip off on film. Personally I'd bet on either A.I.M and the Super Adaptoid or someone like Korvac.
 

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
4,931
0
0
P-89 Scorpion said:
Yeah so between 2015-2020 there are 28 DC and Marvel films coming out with more from all 3 studios with Marvel properties to be announced.

Can anyone else say bubble.
Given we have more cop movies come out each year then that, and that at its height we had one to two cowboy westerns coming out each week back in the days where all that mattered was the US domestic, no, not at all.