Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer Redefines "Epic"

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
The.Bard said:
Fr said:
anc[is]There is no way I'm missing out on this just because of all the bullshit. I'll just have to get a used copy.

Aye, buy it new and you may pay more. Don't buy it new, and you'll pay less... at least a bit. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell the Reapers that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR SEXY TIME!
For Mass Effect 3! Lets play it and save the Galaxey!

Dec 14, 2009
The.Bard said:
This is your proof, Shepard? Doctored video and lies. I didn't see any Reapers. I have no idea what you are talking about.
I can just imagine this guy, actually being picked up by a reaper, and still denying that they exist.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
have to find a way to avoid ?A spying on me. guess have to wait a long time before this will happen.

trailer looked alright. like to continue my relationship with liara.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Garrus's line was best part of the trailer IMO.

Why do I have to be such a broke student who's budget will not be able to afford this when it comes out?!?!

TurboPanda

Apr 19, 2010
I've pre ordered my copy although i haven't got the collectors edition. I don't want anyone ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL over my game.

Oct 30, 2010
Given what the Reapers are, Shepard saying "this isn't their fight (wrt people still on Earth)" seems a bit silly.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
Veloxe said:
Suddenly I'm a little worried about my decision to let the Destiny Ascension blow up in the first game...
I have made every decision since the first game planning for when the reapers arrive, paragon and renegade be damned. And I am still very worried about how everything will turn out.

And wow. People keep saying how average this trailer looks, but I don't think so. Between this and the Borderlands 2 trailer, these are the best trailers I've ever seen for anything. It just kills me I don't actually get to play the game for another 2 weeks after it comes out! I am going to have to dodge spoilers like a pro!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Canadish said:
"Go out there, and give them hell Shepard. You were born to do this."

Oh Garrus...the things you do to me...

(First actual good trailer since this was announced. Can't wait to see everyone get furious when they get their "Fuck You" ending.)
Uh yeah, could you please take the leaked details about the game elsewhere? Some of us are trying to have an unspoiled experience, good or bad.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
SurfinTaxt said:
Check out what happens if you romanced Tali here (warning, this will piss people off):
The big thing that's probably gonna piss a lot of people off is that when Shepard makes his choice - whatever that may be - he experiences three flashbacks of the most important people in his life. The first is always Joker, the second is Hackett and the third is Shepard's love interest.
Assuming your love interest is Ashley, Kaidan or Liara.
That's right. A lot of Talimancers are gonna be might pissed off when Liara's dumb face shows up instead of their waifu. I'm told there was a problem implementing the other LIs, so they just shipped it as is. So if you romanced Tali, Garrus, Jack, Miranda, Thane, Kelly or JACOB then fuck you, says Bioware.
while its true that I did choose Tali as my LI in ME2, I always liked Ashley more so its no deal breaker as far as Im concerned. My gripe is that Hackett is the number 2 thing to Shepard....what about Anderson!!!!
EDIT: This ^ tali related business aside. The trailer as a whole really does look "EPIC" and from the snippets of the reaper fights to Shepard telling TIM to go to hell, my excitement level has skyrocketed! That all said though im split on the reveal of the love scene with Ashley... I mean on one hand its confirmed that you can resume the relationship but on the other part of me still prefers her old look

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Druyn said:
Veloxe said:
Suddenly I'm a little worried about my decision to let the Destiny Ascension blow up in the first game...
I have made every decision since the first game planning for when the reapers arrive, paragon and renegade be damned. And I am still very worried about how everything will turn out.
The same mostly for me. Like with the Rachni queen. For me it wasn't like would she be a threat or not if i said her free. To me it was will she be a potential ally later. I mean the Rachni Wars only ended after the Krogan joined the warm (boosted by the Salarians) and destroyed the species. So in my mind they are a really strong potential ally so i saved them.

My paragon and renegade points are about the same and wouldn't have it any other way. Love the trailer. I hope they will take this franchise into an interesting direction after this game

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
This trailer made me want the game so much more. I'm gonna go re-finish ME2 so Garrus can stay alive.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
What are those Asari Husks called? Banshees? Screamers?

Whatever you call them, that shot of one of them with an Asari in its grasp was my favorite moment in one of the most amazing trailers I've ever seen.

Mythrignoc

Oct 17, 2009
The.Bard said:
So, just out of curiosity, do you go into stores you don't like shopping at, peruse clothes you don't want to buy, and then take time out of your day to write a letter to management telling them about how their offerings stink? cuz it feels that way here.
Your analogy doesn't work. Mass effect isn't the store in this situation, Bioware is. Bioware, which HAS produced great games in the past including Hordes of the Underdark, Shadows of Undrentide, Knights of the Old Republic, and pretty much every baldur's gate game; has thoroughly disappointed me as of late with dragon age and mass effect

Have you ever played a Mass Effect game? It sounds like not, because half of the gameplay is conversational in nature, which means a very large chunk of this trailer IS gameplay. Not all, but most. That you think it's all cutscenes makes me giggle. You has shown up to a biotic fight with omni-gel.
Yes, I have played them, and I know exactly how the games work. Also, I -never- said the game was "all cutscenes," and the idea that you'd get that out of my post shows that you didn't even bother to read.

No, there is a LOT of gameplay to this game, which I am well aware of. My point was that CGI cutscenes are an animators dream because it gives them free reign to do whatever they wish and animate it however they wish, ignoring the fact that things done in the cutscenes are not capable of being done in the regular gameplay as they aren't core features.

I was thoroughly disappointed when this cutscene set me up for some amazing space exploring game and then once I actually got to the crux of the combat and dialog, it was so god awful boring and repetitive that the CGI cutscene did not do the game any good.

This is what's happening in this trailer. The trailer looks phenomenal, but unfortunately it says nothing about the actual gameplay and is more than likely, considering the last two games, going to be a huge disappointment.

Also, I wonder if you can elaborate on cinematography being around to "look cool." Did Schindler's List look cool? It's an art form. Being cool is completely irrelevant unless that is the point of your specific movie. Compared to other video games, the cinematography in this is fantastic.
Cinematography in movies is indeed an art form, but in a game, it shouldn't be. The interaction to the gameplay itself should be the artform and the CGI openings and cutscenes should transition the plot, not BE the plot.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/cutscenes

I point you to Extra Credits on Cutscenes.

I don't think that cutscenes should be done away with entirely, but they need to be toned down.

Regarding not showing how the game plays, there are a SLEW of trailers for ME3 already showcasing all kinds of gameplay features, which you probably would have seen if you even half-cared about this game. The specific purpose of a launch trailer is to whip the fan base up into a frenzy. And on that level, it is a resounding success. This is the most positive Bioware energy I have seen around here in months, aside from gatecrashers like you. ;P
Fair enough, no I haven't seen the other trailers and didn't even know about them. But it's as you said, it's because I don't have high expectations for this game considering the last two flops.

BTW, just because it's popular, doesn't mean it's good. I point you to another triple feature title that does incredibly well at the box office and yet is still, if you were a fan of the series beforehand, easily the most retarded crap I've ever seen. Transformers, directed by the toddler in film making, Michael Bay.

As far as the quote, think about it and it makes a lot of sense. You are on a plane plummeting out of the sky. Your buddy is scared of heights, and terrified to jump. You turn to him and say "if you aren't willing to die by jumping, then you are already dead.". So yea, quote makes sense.
I've often wondered what the thought process behind the argument "Think about it" is. It provides no contextual clarity to the argument itself and when the argument is about whether something makes sense or not, context is everything.

You give context by adding the two words "By jumping," and it changes the semantic meaning of the ENTIRE phrase.

John Sheppard did not do this, and therefore the statement itself is a mild paradox akin to "Damned if you do and damned if you don't." The sentence doesn't bolster courage, it tells you you're fucked no matter what you do. It's not a well construed line, it's a half assed delivery from a mediocre voice actor and they couldn't even make the line sound remotely inspiring.

It just feels like you're the guy who wants to walk out into the confetti party after the Super Bowl and complain about how football sucks. And I honestly wonder how it's even worth your time; go find a game you love and hang out on its epic launch trailer board.
As I said beforehand, it's because I used to like bioware and it infuriates me that they get away with substandard material. Your analogy would make more sense to say "If I liked football but this particular superbowl sucked."

So in closing, Mass Effect is the one game series where these trailers are not only justified, but can truly be said to be showing off gameplay elements. The quote works, we all rejoice, and you can go secretly buy the game next week, love it, and tell nobody of your secret. Seeeeecret. 8)
Why would I buy the third game in a series I don't own the first or second to? This last paragraph of yours demonstrates cockiness and the inability to present me with an actual reason for liking this game.

But meh, you may be, in a way, right. There's no way I'm going to convince a thread full of people who love mass effect to even think twice about what's actually going on so I won't bother anymore.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I just realized something I hadn't noticed before. The marketing guys must really hate Kaidan. I don't think I've seen him in any of the Mass Effect 3 advertisements.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Really all they needed here were the scenes with Garrus and Wrex. Fuck it though, the whole trailer was fantastic. Can't wait to get this game and play the hell out of it. Too bad I'll have to save it until after exams.>_<