Mass Effect Andromeda first impressions?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I'm going to say something that makes me sound like a complete asshole. I don't mean to but here it goes.

Thank you to those of you who brought this game day one/preordered. It has given me the warning to know to stay away from it. I am generally sorry if you regret spending your money on this. But I was able to save mine and in a twisted I am thankful.

Edit: Why do so many characters in this game have swollen faces? It looks like everyone is having an allergic reaction (which should be expected on a new world) and then got stung in the eyes with bees to make them swollen to scale. Women seem to have it worse (default fem Ryder especially) but it's just really weird.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I just watched Jim Fucking Sterling Son's Jimspressions video on the game, he heavily compares it to ME1. Which I love, despite all of it's technical problems. And all the animation glitches are nothing new, if you have been playing Bioware games for any amount of time that is. I think that after a few big patches have been released, that this may well indeed be a game I will buy.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
008Zulu said:
I just watched Jim Fucking Sterling Son's Jimspressions video on the game, he heavily compares it to ME1. Which I love, despite all of it's technical problems. And all the animation glitches are nothing new, if you have been playing Bioware games for any amount of time that is. I think that after a few big patches have been released, that this may well indeed be a game I will buy.
How the hell could he compare it to ME1? There's less dialogue, less worldbuilding, less actual RPG...I know Jim's gone off the deepend the last few years in regards to his apparent lack of game knowledge, but this is like saying Diablo3 is very much the same as Diablo1 just because they share a publisher, franchise, and overarching genre...

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
008Zulu said:
Redryhno said:
How the hell could he compare it to ME1?
Driving around vaguely open world style maps, scanning and killing everything in sight.
Vaguely(obviously without the driving bits and) that sounds alot like ME2 and 3...which are very different games from ME1. Just don't buy it being like ME1 simply because of that.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Redryhno said:
Vaguely(obviously without the driving bits and) that sounds alot like ME2 and 3...which are very different games from ME1. Just don't buy it being like ME1 simply because of that.
In the video, he states that he never really played ME1 very much, and never touched 2 or 3. But from what he did play of 1 was remarkably similar to Andromeda.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
008Zulu said:
For me it feels more like Mass Effect 3 has had it's multiplayer mode grafted onto a mediocre story. Not really a surprise since it is ME3's multiplayer team that created this game.

There seems little point to the new classless system when you can only have three active powers at once.

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
Having a ball with it, although the transition sequences from landmark (spacemark?) To landmark on the galaxy screen and docking and taking off can go fuck itself. Just burns up valuable time.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
MC1980 said:
And I'm not saying that ME1 is a masterpiece or anything.
Perhaps he will go back to the original trilogy to gain some perspective on the series. Or maybe he will judge the game as is.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
votemarvel said:
For me it feels more like Mass Effect 3 has had it's multiplayer mode grafted onto a mediocre story. Not really a surprise since it is ME3's multiplayer team that created this game.

There seems little point to the new classless system when you can only have three active powers at once.
ME3 single player felt like sidequests on the multiplayer maps.

Austin Manning

Apr 10, 2012
Darth Rosenberg said:
Doesn't DAII feature a smaller scale story? Sure, it sets up something fairly boringly 'big' that DA:I [kinda] dealt with, but 'The Tragedy of Hawke' wasn't exactly a saviour narrative, more of a 'hold back the tide whilst everything goes to hell' narrative.
Tragedy requires choice to be meaningful though, otherwise it's just fatalism. Oedipus tries to outsmart fate and brings about his family's doom. Hamlet's inaction causes almost his entire court to die and leaves the Danish crown to a Norwegian prince. Willie Lowman chooses to have an affair and in doing so shatters Biff's faith in both himself and his American ideals. Willie later chooses to commit suicide, mistakenly believing his family will be happier with money than with him. Big Boss attempts to honour the memory of his mentor, but he fundamentally misunderstands (and later rejects) her beliefs, helping to plunge the world into a state of total war. He won't come to understand her and realize the horror of his own actions until the very end of his life.

Tragedy can actually be a fairly easy genre for games to tackle. Even if the player has no choice, if the player character makes an understandable choice for their situation then a powerful tragic narrative can be created. If the player themself has a choice, this can create even more powerful tragedies. Undertale is a good example of this if the player pursues the Genocide Route in that game.

Put simply: A tragedy examines the fallibility of humanity, while a fatalistic story would be "rocks fall, everyone dies and nothing you ever thought, attempted or achieved mattered." One is about humanity, while the other is about wallowing in pointlessness.

This is a problem I have with Bioware. They (or at least some of their writers) don't seem to understand the principles that make up a tragedy. So whenever they attempt to write tragedy (like in Dragon Age II or Mass Effect 3) they instead write a plot that may as well have booted the player to the end credits after their first death. Instead of leaving the player feeling sad and reflective as they consider the events that lead up to the game's final moments, they leave the player going "What was the point of any of that?"

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
008Zulu said:
ME3 single player felt like sidequests on the multiplayer maps.
That's because some of it was.

They reused multiplayer maps in some of the side missions, such as fixing the generator (Firebase Reactor) and rescuing a woman from an Alliance comm facility (Firebase Dagger).

Back onto Andromeda. I've finally gotten a decent looking Ryder for my game thanks to the https://www.reddit.com/r/ShareYourRyders/ sub-reddit. I am using this one https://www.reddit.com/r/ShareYourRyders/comments/60pbq9/preset_1_fox_ryder_my_custom_ryder/

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Austin Manning said:
snip re 'tragedy'
Tragedy:

1. an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe.

2. a play dealing with tragic events and having an unhappy ending, especially one concerning the downfall of the main character.

Tragic:

1. causing or characterized by extreme distress or sorrow.

My uses were, and remain, entirely accurate, particularly given 'The tragedy of Hawke' is a casual term I use to describe and dial in on the overall dramatic and thematic intent/character of the game (to help distinguish it from most of BioWare's other - invariably less ambitious/distinct - narratives). I never intend on, nor do I have any interest in, comparing it to rote conventions of [Greek] tragedy as a hard and fast genre.

Put simply: A tragedy examines the fallibility of humanity, while a fatalistic story would be "rocks fall, everyone dies and nothing you ever thought, attempted or achieved mattered." One is about humanity, while the other is about wallowing in pointlessness.
Given an RPG is a work that typically tells many stories - some of which the player can simply choose to not trigger, or miss them through various reasons (well hidden sidequests, branching arcs locking off others, etc), I'd say DAII certainly examines that theme.

Firstly, its characters (it's been a few years since I last played it, so I can't go into the detail I should/could've): Varric, through his mercantile hubris and the fate of his brother, Bartrand, Fenris and his absolutist vengeance being muddied by the fate of his sister and the 'choices' certain slaves make, the rug eventually being very much pulled from under Isabela's bolshy selfishness, Aveline's faith in the system being challenged (as well as her own notion of where she may belong in the world), Anders'--- well, he's an obvious one, and then Merrill with her own story of cultural/social adaptation, [well-intentioned] arrogance and less well-intentioned personal insecurity and egoism.

All those characters make their own choices for good and ill in the game (and have made various key ones before the game's timeline, which the story then often deals with), and the player can affect their rationale (it not, in most cases, an outcome). Every single character demonstrates varying degrees of fallibility. Hell, it could be that their entire arcs are dedicated to mulling over their frequently fallible natures.

As for the 'fallibility of Hawke'? Arguably her role primarily delineates the impotence and limitations of certain forms of power (relative to circumstance and history), i.e. she's an increasingly key figure in the citystate, yet in a way she is just as powerlessness given as her stature rises, the problems she has to try to resolve 'level up' with her... Be it the agendas and sway of the rogue Chantry elements, the Circle, the Templars, and eventually the Qunari in the enclave. What I loved/love about DAII's main story is that across the nine years in Kirkwall, Hawke is merely another player with an agenda, trying to assert her influence yet she's no special-snowflake-chosen. No matter how noble her goals or motives, and no matter how badass she and her companions become, it's not enough; DAII was a story of a citystate and a society, not just Hawke et al. Hawke was ultimately up against generations worth of history, religious dogma, status quo, grievances (many valid), and so on. Thedas' house of cards was about to fall, and Kirkwall was the epicenter in the series. Hawke was our window in that--- well, tragedy...

Another element I like about DAII is that the game's frame-narrative has a frequently lying, embellishing storyteller relate the tale; yet it's a story with no happy ending, and no resolution. The citystate's gone to hell, the conflict is spreading, and our protagonist/'assumed hero-Champion' is nowhere to be seen.

So whenever they attempt to write tragedy (like in Dragon Age II or Mass Effect 3) they instead write a plot that may as well have booted the player to the end credits after their first death. Instead of leaving the player feeling sad and reflective as they consider the events that lead up to the game's final moments, they leave the player going "What was the point of any of that?"
As above; firstly it very much depends on how you use the T word.

Secondly, that's a subjective reaction, so not some kind of demonstrable fault with BioWare's writing. ME3's vanilla ending was poorly presented - I doubt anyone could coherently say otherwise. But 'What was the point of any of that?' certainly wasn't, and has never been, something I felt. I was impressed they managed to surprise me with the whole Reapers-as-imperfect-solution-to-an-existential-question angle, particularly given in ME2's Arrival they seemed to have turned the Reapers into sneering, smarmy Bond/arch comicbook villains.

Sure, having the Citadel blink out of existence and reappear as a sentient coffee cup would've surprised me, too... But I feel ME3's ending very much felt a part of what had come before it. Instead of feeling anything had been a waste, I feel ME3's end made what came before all the more interesting (though the remnants of the dark energy arcs do seem incongruous). Each choice represented a compromise, and was relative to an individuals set of morals and philosophy; none of the solutions are right or wrong. That, for me, was a perfect note to end that series on (i.e. a series that ostensibly pretended to be about 'tough moral choices', yet was increasingly about Sane/Rational choices versus being a Genocidal Asshat... ).

Back to ME:A: the first impressions of other people have convinced me my own first impressions will be arriving in a few weeks or months time, though exclusively because of bugs - I'm sick of having 'triple-A' SP games ruin a first playthrough through technical snafus that should've been dealt with before release.

ME:A might well turn out to be the most ho-hum Mass Effect yet, but I won't know till I play the damn thing myself. Eventually.

votemarvel said:
Back onto Andromeda. I've finally gotten a decent looking Ryder for my game thanks to the https://www.reddit.com/r/ShareYourRyders/ sub-reddit. I am using this one https://www.reddit.com/r/ShareYourRyders/comments/60pbq9/preset_1_fox_ryder_my_custom_ryder/
Gotta say, that's a pretty good/realistic look. How does it look in action, though, re speech and expressions?

I actually still want to stick to the default female Ryder whenever I start playing it, as if they're going to continue that overall design across other games (if there are other 'Andromedas'), then I'd prefer a canon/default PC just as with the redheaded FemShep.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Darth Rosenberg said:
votemarvel said:
Gotta say, that's a pretty good/realistic look. How does it look in action, though, re speech and expressions?

I actually still want to stick to the default female Ryder whenever I start playing it, as if they're going to continue that overall design across other games (if there are other 'Andromedas'), then I'd prefer a canon/default PC just as with the redheaded FemShep.
I'll grab a few screenshots when I start playing again later but she's a lot more expressive than the default Ryder, misses the stroke look that one gets too, and the speech all seems to be synced up so far.

It's a shame they replaced the default female Shepard with a cartoonish abomination in Mass Effect 3. Default Ryder is at least better than that monstrosity.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
votemarvel said:
It's a shame they replaced the default female Shepard with a cartoonish abomination in Mass Effect 3. Default Ryder is at least better than that monstrosity.
...I happen to like that Shepard a lot, actually. Granted, she rather looks like a cartoon very stylised character, but it's certainly become iconic and emblematic of the series.

Though the series never had a fixed, canon FemShep before 3 - 'here's a crappy preset combo' doth not a canon character make... I don't believe they ever used PresetsShep in marketing, either.

Good to hear about custom Ryder's. Well, relatively speaking, given what I said about wanting to stick to the default... Maybe I'll just try to tweak her if her design start to bother me. I assume - given the Ryder family tree - there's no option to alter features after starting the game? Having the option for haircuts would be nice [and should be in all RPG's], at least.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Darth Rosenberg said:
votemarvel said:
...I happen to like that Shepard a lot, actually. Granted, she rather looks like a cartoon very stylised character, but it's certainly become iconic and emblematic of the series.

Though the series never had a fixed, canon FemShep before 3 - 'here's a crappy preset combo' doth not a canon character make... I don't believe they ever used PresetsShep in marketing, either.

Good to hear about custom Ryder's. Well, relatively speaking, given what I said about wanting to stick to the default... Maybe I'll just try to tweak her if her design start to bother me. I assume - given the Ryder family tree - there's no option to alter features after starting the game? Having the option for haircuts would be nice [and should be in all RPG's], at least.
You can't customize the Default Ryder's AT ALL. You don't even have access to the skin tone that the default's have, or anywhere close. And according to all the stuff I've read, there's no way to change your appearance once you've started the save file.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
DeadProxy said:
You can't customize the Default Ryder's AT ALL. You don't even have access to the skin tone that the default's have, or anywhere close. And according to all the stuff I've read, there's no way to change your appearance once you've started the save file.
Sucks about being locked in, but yeah, I should've remembered you couldn't tweak the default Shepard or DAII's Hawke.

I've heard they're apparently looking to improve the character gen as well, so that's another good reason to wait.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I'm really having a blast with it. One thing that's odd, I seem to like all of the characters. There's just nobody that I dislike. I've got a feeling that's going to change, but something just seems... off about it.

I don't understand how so many people are having problems with the quest journal. It seems fairly simple to me. Also, as far as character animations go, I don't get all those complaints either. I'd actually be a little put off if my Bioware games didn't have wonky character animations from time to time at this point. It's like it's kind of their thing. Sort of like GTA after you finally get into a sweet sports car only to realize that there are now a dozen of them surrounding you.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Darth Rosenberg said:
DeadProxy said:
Sucks about being locked in, but yeah, I should've remembered you couldn't tweak the default Shepard or DAII's Hawke.

I've heard they're apparently looking to improve the character gen as well, so that's another good reason to wait.
The creator needs to be redone entirely. Your options are so limited. The only thing you can actually change is the hair styles for the custom ones. You can't change the shape of your nose, only it's position, you cant change your lips, only it's size, you are basically picking what face you want on your character, instead of actually making the character. And all so that the father character looks related to you for the 5 minutes he's alive.