Mass Effect Lead Writer: Next Game Can't Be A Spin Off

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Whelp, there goes the chance for a First Contact War or a Krogan Rebellions RPG.

Let's hope whatever happens is interesting enough.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Kieve said:
I've tried so many times to regain my interest in the ME franchise. I really have. For what it's worth, I really enjoyed my engineer in the ME3 multiplayer. But that ending...
I can't do it. No matter how I try to rationalize it, play it off, or head-canon it aside, I just can't find the enthusiasm for it again. Ten minutes retroactively killed all three games for me.

I don't care what they're cooking up in the back room now. I'm going to wait, long after it's released, watch plenty of spoilers, and then - if I can assure myself the story is not shit nor will it turn to shit - then maybe I'll give it a chance.

When it's on sale.

On Steam.
Sarge034 said:
carpathic said:
Man, I am still butthurt about ME3's ending. Shouldn't I have let go of it by now?
No, remember your anger. It makes you stronger. In all seriousness, they fucked the fans over and we should not forget that they did.

OT-

Because who wants to put in the legwork to get that mess of and ending to try to make sense in another game? I am very sad that ma Tali will not make an appearance, but I guess it makes sense because her and my Shep are on Rannoch making genetically impossible love babies. You know how? Shep fucking wills it.
Try these guys. While it isn't the same as BW making a different ending...it allows me to revisit ME without too much pain...

Some have fully modded scenes, even a few dialogue and scripting changes...

Final Cut Ending (9Dragons) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTKJEtzuj-4

ME Happy Ending Mod (MEHEM) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLz7a9p7gI

Femshep Happy Ending (MadHamlet) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2d0BEh75rY

One More Story (LadyXInsanity) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDPV-ol5FKk

How It Should Have Ended (just for fun!) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFPt6pqTaIo

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Seracen said:
I'm a spiteful bastard that believes Bioware needs to own up to its' problems. It's a matter of principle for me. Make no mistake, I have an ending in my head for what actually happened but that doesn't mean Bioware gets another chance.

TL:DR- I'm a spiteful bastard and Bioware, you came to the wrong neighborhood ************.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
carpathic said:
Yep.

Though your inflammatory analogy to a person who is illiterate doesn't really apply here. I beat the game, I beat it on insanity with a soldier and an infiltrator. Also, a person who is illiterate is certainly able to judge the strength of the writing in a story - someone else can read it to them. I just don't think I am very good at games that are shooters, I get very frustrated with them.

Though most of my concerns around gameplay being shite had nothing to do with the shooting mechanism, I did beat the game like 6 or 7 times. I just like to see better balance between the powers. I preferred the overheating mechanism of the first game and found it fit better with the regenerating shields/health/armor.
And just like how someone could have read the game to the person, someone could have played the shooting sections for you. Many people are unable to have someone there to help you play the game, so my point still stands that your criticism is more a personal bias rather than a critique that fits. Powers worked just fine for my playthrough (yes I played on insanity too) and whilst I did always feel as though I was running low on ammo I've never thought of that as a criticism. If you're playing on higher difficulties, expect to have a difficult time.

As for the overheating mechanism, I never really liked or disliked it, only got frustrating when the highly trained space marine who is part of the Earth's military was unable to shoot straight or be issued with an accurate weapon. I understand the whole, "hotter the gun gets the less accurate it becomes" explanation people have given me before, but I just think it's a poor excuse to make the games enemies stand a chance.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
To quote the Urban Dictionary, a spin-off is "A seris character getting their own seris after the first seris is completed." [sic]

So to all those people saying this is the definition of a spinoff, take it from the crazies who edit UrbanDictionary.com that it's not. It can just as well be a continuation with different characters. Personally I can't wait to see what they whip up.

Billy D Williams

Jul 8, 2013
Alpha Maeko said:
Same universe, different protagonist/companions/perspective?

Isn't that basically the definition of a spinoff? ._.
Is KoTOR a Spinoff of the Star Wars films? I'd say no, but I guess I can see how some would say yes.

Anyhow, the only character I'd be interested in for a spin-off is Javik, and that's just because I would love to see the fall of the Protean Empire.

Anyhow, they set themselves up for a plethora of different games, there are so many events established in the Mass Effect universe to explore, so I'm glad they aren't just aping pre-existing characters.

saxist01

Jun 4, 2009
ShinobiJedi42 said:
Am I the only person here who was actually satisfied with the ME3 ending? Post, extended cut, of course. After a decent deal of closure and some explanations, I thought my ending, (Control), had a feel of Golden Age Science Fiction akin to 2001: A Space Odyssey and some of Herbert's stuff. I agree, it could have been done much better, but overall, I'm fairly satisfied.
No, you aren't the only one. I honestly thought the ending to ME3 was one of the most moving things I have seen in a video game. I wanted my first character to return to Tali so badly, but I still couldn't bring myself to destroy EDI/Geth to do it. My second character just said f*ck it, I'm heading back to Steve!

Also, I'm pretty sure a spin off would have to follow one of the characters from the original series. Kind of like Fraiser is a spin off of Cheers, but Boston Legal isn't even though they both take place in the "universe" of Boston. Personally, I'm hoping for a ME: Infiltrator game something akin to Splinter Cell. Probably won't happen, but it'd be fun in that universe.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Doom972 said:
So it's a game that take place in the Mass Effect universe but doesn't have to do anything with ME's main story arc? That's pretty much a spin-off, as it should be.
Agreed. The only way I see this working is if it takes place in another galaxy that somehow comes in contact with the Milky Way and some kind of bridge is made between the two.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
octafish said:
Ed130 said:
Doom972 said:
So it's a game that take place in the Mass Effect universe but doesn't have to do anything with ME's main story arc? That's pretty much a spin-off, as it should be.
Pretty much, this sounds like EA doublespeak to me.

Captcha: sick puppy
Doom972 said:
Spin offs include Frasier, Mork and Mindy, Baywatch Nights, Booker, Angel, and for you younguns, Pinky and the Brain. Most spin offs are based around existing characters.

I still haven't finished ME3, it just hasn't the appeal of ME1. I should have known after ME2.
That's the TV show definition of Spin-offs. video game spin-offs can be games that take place in the same universe, but outside of the main story arc for that universe. Examples that come to mind are Fallout Tactics, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and Hexen. I haven't played any recent spin-offs, but as I understand it, the Persona series is also the kind of Spin-off I'm referring to here.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
otakon17 said:
Doom972 said:
Agreed. The only way I see this working is if it takes place in another galaxy that somehow comes in contact with the Milky Way and some kind of bridge is made between the two.
It could still take place in the same galaxy as long as it's before ME3's ending. The galaxy is vast and there is a room for plenty of other stories to be told - they won't be as epic though.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
The story may even take place after the me3 ending and play out on one of the smaller colonies.
I'd call the size "Hollywood middlesized" like simpsons' Springfield. Large enough that you can have big town stuff there but small enough that you can have rural stuff within a short driving distance.
Maybe you'll manage the remaining resources and keep what's left of the colony alive.
It might play out like a RTS in which you have to defeat remaining reaper forces by building a base and an army to steamroll them. You wouldn't even have to program a good enemy AI because they're unorganized husks with no brains of their own.
Maybe it could play out like a tower defense where you have to salvage guns and turrets from destroyed vehicles to defend your base.

Or maybe it'll play like DayZ with less of the unrealistic "realism". Break a bone by slamming your arms into a doorframe because you turned around? Find this magical syringe and it's all good. Bleh.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
ShinobiJedi42 said:
Am I the only person here who was actually satisfied with the ME3 ending? Post, extended cut, of course. After a decent deal of closure and some explanations, I thought my ending, (Control), had a feel of Golden Age Science Fiction akin to 2001: A Space Odyssey and some of Herbert's stuff. I agree, it could have been done much better, but overall, I'm fairly satisfied.

The extended cut was just some first aid on a wound that was already there, it wouldn't exist without the PR nightmare that followed the original ending. You could almost say that the fans where holding EA and Bioware at gunpoint (or at least their reputation) to get a different ending. So saying the ending wasn't so bad because of the extended cut is kind of pointless.

I agree that the extended cut wasn't so bad, but it was far from perfect, and I'm sure it wouldn't have caused the fallout of the original ending.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Doom972 said:
That's the TV show definition of Spin-offs. video game spin-offs can be games that take place in the same universe, but outside of the main story arc for that universe. Examples that come to mind are Fallout Tactics, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and Hexen. I haven't played any recent spin-offs, but as I understand it, the Persona series is also the kind of Spin-off I'm referring to here.
I have never seen developers calling those games spin-offs either.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Neonsilver said:
ShinobiJedi42 said:

The extended cut was just some first aid on a wound that was already there, it wouldn't exist without the PR nightmare that followed the original ending. You could almost say that the fans where holding EA and Bioware at gunpoint (or at least their reputation) to get a different ending. So saying the ending wasn't so bad because of the extended cut is kind of pointless.

I agree that the extended cut wasn't so bad, but it was far from perfect, and I'm sure it wouldn't have caused the fallout of the original ending.
Honestly, I think it would have been just as bad. People were really invested in the Mass Effect games and even though the Extended Cut solved some of the issues, there is still enough complaining around how people can't have their Shepard making babies with their love interest on some remote planet to repopulate the universe after the Reaper invasion that I think it might have been slightly smaller, but people still would have been yelling about the endings not being what they wanted.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
Sanunes said:
Neonsilver said:
ShinobiJedi42 said:

Honestly, I think it would have been just as bad. People were really invested in the Mass Effect games and even though the Extended Cut solved some of the issues, there is still enough complaining around how people can't have their Shepard making babies with their love interest on some remote planet to repopulate the universe after the Reaper invasion that I think it might have been slightly smaller, but people still would have been yelling about the endings not being what they wanted.
Maybe, it's hard to say if I feel that the extended cut wasn't so bad or if it just wasn't so bad in comparison to the original.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
JediMB said:
I like Javik, despite that he's one of many examples of the new "agenda" they started pushing in ME3. If they wanted to have someone preaching about how biological and synthetic life can never coexist, they really shouldn't have made Mass Effect 2.
That and they contradict themselves on that issue in the same game:

Yep. Organic and Synthetic life can't exist. Totally agree with them on that point X3

Though ME2 did have a truckload of plot points that ME3 gutted out. "Dark Energy" anyone?

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
Bioware have themselves to blame for this. The way they ended ME3 left them with little option but to avoid tying any new Mass Effect game to Shepard's story. They had a chance to fix it, they blew it with the unsatisfying extended cut, and now they want to avoid reminding people of what happened to Shepard.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
Sir Shockwave said:
That and they contradict themselves on that issue in the same game:

Yep. Organic and Synthetic life can't exist. Totally agree with them on that point X3

Though ME2 did have a truckload of plot points that ME3 gutted out. "Dark Energy" anyone?
Again as mentioned earlier, it sadly comes back to what Karpyshyn wanted vs what Walters wanted for the franchise in terms of lore. Different ideals pulls in different directions, and one persons' work is no more sacred than their successor's desire to also have a legacy really.

It feels like ME1 was Karpyshyn's vision, 2 was kind of a mix, 3 was a lot of back-pedalling and mood changing things to re-allign stuff. And the conclusion to a trilogy imo is not the time to tell everyone we are turning things around.

And evident many... many times. When the created universe itself is fighting against you (plot holes, inconsistency and Deus Ex Machina etc.); you are trying really hard to enforce a vision, rather than to let the story naturally play out as was intended - like trying to forcefully make a boat go against the stream in the river with all of your might.

It is also funny to note that you kinda have to denounce the Quarian vs Geth Arc and Genophage Arc, when judging Walters' work, since he wasn't in charge of either - and those are usually the first things people use as pointers of what went right/was good in ME3. Which makes a bit sense with the contradictions in those particular arcs.