Mass Effect: Where does the series go now sequel-wise?

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Goofguy said:
Random berk said:
Goofguy said:
I would rather see a spin-off set in the ME universe than a sequel.

I've mentioned this already but maybe a FPS where you play as a merc for the Blue Suns or Eclipse, doing missions primarily out in the Terminus Systems but with forays in to other systems. No cover based shooting, just you and your merc squad going up against other mercs, C-Sec, private security, whatever. It could take place during Shepard's two year absence between ME and ME2 that way, no one's worried about the Geth anymore or about the Collectors and Reapers yet.
That sounds disturbingly like Call of Duty in Space.

No, if any new games are to be even remotely related to Mass Effect then they'd have to be based on either the memorable characters of the series, or the major events like the Morning war, or the Krogan rebellions, etc. Also, I wouldn't mind playing a game with some bit of stealth in it, with Thane as the protagonist. Some of the others like Garrus, Wrex or even Samara also have backstories that could make a decent game, maybe.
Never thought of it that way but no, my idea was most certainly not based on CoD. I haven't played any CoD games since their first WWII based ones so I can't say my choice was inspired by that.

I was drawing inspiration more so from Star Wars and that seedier, ground level side of Coruscant involving bounty hunters and other shady characters. Not everything in the ME universe is as noble or grand as Shepard's adventure, I want to see what the everyman with a gun is forced to do to make a living.

I'm going to have to disagree with your view on the direction of the next ME game. I disagree with you in the sense that I don't want to see Shepard's previous squadmates as major characters in any subsequent games. Cameos would be welcome but in my opinion, their stories ended with Shepard's (not necessarily in the same, final way). Furthermore, I'd rather have those past major events left just there, in the past. Part of what makes them so memorable for me is that we only know what we're told through codex entries and conversations; I don't want the mystique of those events to be ruined by a game that doesn't do them justice based on our own previous perceptions of how they transpired.
It is possible that they could do such a game right, but equally possible that it would be just another crappy FPS with some recognisable Mass Effect tech and nothing else to set it apart from the FPS rank and file. Conversely, a prequel centred on one of the squadmates could fail horribly, but it could just as easily be great fun, and a familiar character and story would at least tie it to the core trilogy better. That has already been done reasonably well in a number of comics and books. Really, either game could be done well by the right people, but then again, this is EA we're talking about. The people saying the franchise should be burned before they rape it even further have a good point as well.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Da Orky Man said:
I'd quite like an FPS set in the First Contact War. Or maybe an RTS in the Krogan Rebellions.
THis wouldn't work. No game in the First Contact war would ever work.

In the entire war there are 600 human casualties and slightly more Turian casualties.

Not enough things to kill for an FPS game.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Thandran said:
If the ending was good I'd gladly buy a ME game about the reconstruction of the galaxy.

But as it is... the ME franchise won't get any more money from me. I still have taste ash in my mouth due to the ending.

They had such great potential... *sigh*
Agree. DLCs, sequels, prequels, I don't care. I wanted to buy the books while I was half-way through ME3, as I didn't read them. Don't want to anymore.

Unless the "extended cut" thing fixes EVERYTHING wrong with the ending, I won't buy anything from the franchise ever again.

DrTobiasWho

Oct 1, 2011
Do a trilogy set in the prothean reaper invasion, show us it at different times of the 300 year saga!

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Well, my ME3 galaxy kind of got fucked over in a cascade of giant relay explosions so I see the sequel to my particular universe set however many millions of years in the future where new life is finally up and running with easy space travel, and the only tech surviving the relay explosion is Liara's time capsule. Some nut finds it, believes the message of the reaper threat and somehow convinces the galactic community waste their time building another Crucible, not realising the reaper threat ended millions of years ago.

All missing info will be left as plot holes.

...I'm not bitter.

EDIT:

ThriKreen said:
Blasto: Secret Missions
That would make me way too happy. I think I'd rather play as the Elcor sidekick though, just imagine the heavy weapons he could use!

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
TheLizardKing said:
Mass Effect: The Prequel Trilogy. We all know how this turns out.

They couldn't do any sequels because they destroyed pretty much everything with their lazy writing.
To be fair, they also said that ME3 would be the end of Shepard's story, no matter what. So we'll be starting fresh with whatever new ME game we get.

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
TheLizardKing said:
Mass Effect: The Prequel Trilogy. We all know how this turns out.
Hey, I'd think Bioware hasn't sunk to George Lucas levels yet.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
possible MMO, but don't gimme crap about it sucking, it could be supreme! prequels too. i'd honestly wanna see a full-out first-contact war fps or 3rd person shooter.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I'd say that if they were to continue the franchise, they'd do prequels. They have a lot to work with:

Mass Effect 4:

Th Prothean Empire: You play as Javik and it tells the story of how he fought the reapers and had to kill his own team because of indoctrination.

The Krogan Rebellions.

The Rachni Wars.

The Morning war.

The First Contact war/ The Skyllian Blitz

Saren's story: How he met Sovereign.

Anderson's story: How he was a spectre candidate.

Jack Harper (Illusive Man): We had the comics, make it a game.

...or any combination of the above mentioned. Like I said, they have a lot to work with.

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
Silly OP, Don't you don't in the games industry the number 4 doesn't exist :p

If it Bioware does create a new mass effect game it will probably be a prequel or a new spin off not based on reapers and I guess more based on the politcal power struggles of the different races vying for power I the wake of the destruction and lose of military power/structure.

Or a game based of the criminal underworld of mass effect.

But I doubt Bioware will want to continue the mass effect series. Old bioware never made sequels to their games and each one was a new game and this is was there first ever games series I'd think they'd want to start something new and fresh. Then again I doubt EA would would like that but they could be more open to a new idea considering the ME3 backlash

VaughanyT

May 30, 2008
I'd like the idea of a story that concentrating on the races of the universe rebuilding the galaxy. There were enough nut jobs and thugs before the war, imagine how crazy some people could be after being flung back to the dark ages! You could either use surviving crew members or introduce a new character, there's a lot of potential in an aftermath style story.

What's more likely is a prequel, especially surrounding humanities first contact with the other races. To be honest, I'd love missions based on the siege of Shanxi or maybe even exploring the pasts of the other races. Either way, there's gonna be a load more games whether we want them or not, lets just hope they're done right.

VaughanyT

May 30, 2008
Prequel would be good, so many past events that are mentioned that seem like gaming gold, First Contact War anyone? What I'd like to see is a direct sequel where you try to rebuild after the end of 3. Everyone would be on edge so not lacking in action and you could really change events to your liking...if written right that is.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Avalanche91 said:
Either EA will force it into a MMORPG or they don't dare touch the franchise anymore for how much money the revised ending cost them.
The game sold well. I don't know why you think the revised ending made even a small dent in their profits. As for an MMO, I think EA and Bioware will be wary of investing too heavily in MMOs these days. How much did SWTOR cost again? I'm sure they were thinking MMO but now...probably nothing. A dog fighting game would be good...but Bioware would just fuck it up.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
One of the only things I liked about the ending is how it effectively ended the series. The last thing we need is a pile of endless and pointless sequels.

We got a trilogy, and I'm perfectly happy with it staying that way.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
I know it's been discussed to death, but look up the Indoctrination Theory. It pretty much explains how the Mass Effect universe isn't completely fucked.

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
I think there'll only be prequels. Otherwise they'd have to establish a particular ending as the ending to ME3, which I very much doubt they'd do.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Hopefully nowhere. The series is done and considering the kind of response that came with the ending to the third game, I think they should leave it as it is rather than beating the dead horse into a fine paste. Leave it at everyone being annoyed by the third games ending instead of slowly pushing us to hate it altogether.