Mediocrity Scrolls Online

Shanshu_Prophecy

Sep 13, 2010
So did they add a scar to Erin's face just to see if anybody would notice in the inevitable MMO vs Single player debate that would come from the thread?

Or did I miss something in a prior comic?

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Shanshu_Prophecy said:
So did they add a scar to Erin's face just to see if anybody would notice in the inevitable MMO vs Single player debate that would come from the thread?

That's not a scar, that's her cheek bending from leaning on her arm.

--------------------------

Heh, heh, you can just tell from the smug look on Erin's face in the last panel that this is another one of Cory and Grey's troll comics.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
A few points:

1. Bethesda is still developing new single player games for both Fallout and Elder Scrolls. This was made clear from the very beginning as when ESO was first announced the initial reactions were "OMG, this means no single player games" and Bethesda was quick to say this was not the truth.

2. Elder Scrolls Online is pretty much charging standard rates. The cost is box plus subscription. You cannot consider that truly "double dipping" as that has been the way MMOs were being sold since pretty much the very beginning. I say pretty much because the first MMOs actually charged you by the hour or minute. But Everquest, WoW, Ultima Online, and others all used this basic business model.

So far I have yet to run into any real micro transactions. The outrage over this so far was because people who bought standard editions of the game got all POed that people who bought the Collector's Edition got a free horse. Unlike other MMOs the mount system in ESO is a little more advanced, as your mount levels up when you feed it once a day, and you can raise it's base speed, sprinting, and carrying capacity (it adds to your inventory). Bethesda's response was to release a brown version of the same horse as an add on for the game, so those who didn't buy a collector's edition could get the same benefit. While this appeased some whiners, it pretty much got other whiners on their case about starting with micro transactions.

This does not mean there will not be other micro transactions later however, but so far there don't seem to be any that I have seen.

-

THAT said, I myself as a player (and former beta player) will tell you that the game itself isn't great. As I said with Beta it has potential, like a lot of MMOs do, but a lot of it depends on what they do with it, and how fast.

I do agree that the combat is a bit of a mess, it's one of those cases where people complained about everything being a "WoW clone" and so they set out to create a more active kind of battle system where you have to aim melee attacks and such, rather than everything being "tab target, auto attack, and use abilities". Really he only part of the system that is WoW-like is tying your abilities to hotkeys (and really there aren't many more efficient ways to do it). It also seems to have taken some nods from say "The Secret World" where while you could have a dozen or more abilities it only lets you have 5 things you can do active at any given time (and one "ultimate" power) which forces you to pretty much create micro-builds within each class. Weapon switching being less for having an actual alternate weapon, as much as a way to access another 5 abilities.

I've still got my eye on "Wildstar" somewhat, but the way things are looking is that I doubt we'll see another great MMO until Blizzard again shows everyone how it's done. ESO seemed to fall into the trap of innovation for the sake of innovation without testing itself too heavily. What's more it seemed to isolate itself from the fans, where the open betas were more for stress testing than actually getting feedback (and their feedback was through some rather impersonal surveys that didn't allow for a lot of expression).

I'll probably play ESO for a little while before I drop it (burned out on other games), unless of course it does something to seriously kindle interest. For the most part "Neverwinter" (which it's combat reminds me of for some reason) did this kind of combat better. Albeit Neverwinter is one of the most monetized games I've run into, while people have a kneejerk reaction to subscriptions, I actually find things like "pay for inventory space" even more annoying.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Caramel Frappe said:
Jandau said:
The worst thing about ES:O is that while it's active, you won't see a new "proper" Elder Scrolls game. Yeah, let that sink in. For the next 5-10 years (or more), there will be no new Elder Scrolls. Have fun :)
... Now i'm sad. It sank in, and boy did it suck to realize it.

OT: Surprised that they didn't poke fun at the fact you have to pay real money to buy a horse. That, otherwise... you have to work hours on end trying to earn game money to purchase one, which could take up all of your savings. Yeah I feel personally that the EDO was just a terrible idea. Not because of being multiplayer, but the way they went about it with greed.

Also mudcrabs even in Skyrim can kill a sabertooth. No joke. They're hardcore.
Bethesda makes Elder Scrolls, Zenimax Online Studios makes ESO. Notice how Skyrim still came out, even though the MMO has been in development for 6 years or so.
The horse you get from the CE is the same as the worst horse you can buy, so everyone has to grind the gold for the real horses, CE and Palamino people just get to ride a horse in the meantime while saving up.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Caramel Frappe said:
Jandau said:
The worst thing about ES:O is that while it's active, you won't see a new "proper" Elder Scrolls game. Yeah, let that sink in. For the next 5-10 years (or more), there will be no new Elder Scrolls. Have fun :)

OT: Surprised that they didn't poke fun at the fact you have to pay real money to buy a horse. That, otherwise... you have to work hours on end trying to earn game money to purchase one, which could take up all of your savings. Yeah I feel personally that the EDO was just a terrible idea. Not because of being multiplayer, but the way they went about it with greed.

Well to be honest one of the first things I noticed in ESO is how weak and anemic the Mudcrabs look... they are very small, like very large normal crabs. One recurring joke (admittedly which I help perpetuate) is how sometime over the next couple thousand years some wizard with an obsession must start injecting them with 'roids or something.

That said since in ESO Mud crabs can skill kill you (especially with a level difference) that makes it perhaps the first game where this can literally happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQq90tg21k

ZombieSuicide

Apr 7, 2014
Jandau said:
I was always more a Fallout fan anyway. And I still haven't beet Oblivion or even started Skyrim... I would be okay with a 5 year plus wait almost.

Oct 20, 2010
Therumancer said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Jandau said:

Well to be honest one of the first things I noticed in ESO is how weak and anemic the Mudcrabs look... they are very small, like very large normal crabs. One recurring joke (admittedly which I help perpetuate) is how sometime over the next couple thousand years some wizard with an obsession must start injecting them with 'roids or something.

That said since in ESO Mud crabs can skill kill you (especially with a level difference) that makes it perhaps the first game where this can literally happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQq90tg21k

As I said the first time I saw a mudcrab in Skyrim: ************! That's no crab, it's a Kingler!

Which was immediately followed by: Kingler used Guillotine, it's Super Effective!

ZombieSuicide

Apr 7, 2014
Shanshu_Prophecy said:

I don't think you missed anything I think that's just her hand pushing against her cheek... I think. I would like to mention that I've always liked the art that comes from this comic. Lots of skill associated here.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Jandau said:
sounds normal going from daggerfall to morrowind took 6 years
going from morrowind to oblivion took 4 years
going from oblivion to skyrim took 5 years
of course it's gonna be a while bethseda isn't an elder scrolls factory where they shit out an elder scrolls game every 2-3 years besides everyone isn't expecting elder scrolls next they're expecting fallout 4 from them

Oct 20, 2010
ZombieSuicide said:
Jandau said:
I was always more a Fallout fan anyway. And I still haven't beet Oblivion or even started Skyrim... I would be okay with a 5 year plus wait almost.

You're OK with it now, but you know Fallout is next right? ESPECIALLY if Bethesda isn't the one taking blame or losing face.
They get to make Royalties of the Whales (And you had BETTER BELIEVE ZENIMAX wants to make you into a Whale) while declaring the Games Non-Cannon and putting out their own canonical games games and Double dip their own market, while still looking like heroes compared to the MMO guys.

They found a way to get the 2x multiplier for the Quadruple-Dip.

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
shadowxvii said:
Played the beta of TES:O and the thing that I hated the most about the game was the other players... So I guess I'll just stick to Skyrim.
i think this is how a lot of TES fans feel... .-. the 'idea' of playing 'Skyrim' with my friends made me excited... but then i played the beta... and realized how many OTHER people i'd be playing with... and they were dicks... and nothing was instanced... and the crafting sucked...

yea... back to skyrim...

shadowxvii

Jan 9, 2013
Ikasury said:
shadowxvii said:
Played the beta of TES:O and the thing that I hated the most about the game was the other players... So I guess I'll just stick to Skyrim.
i think this is how a lot of TES fans feel... .-. the 'idea' of playing 'Skyrim' with my friends made me excited... but then i played the beta... and realized how many OTHER people i'd be playing with... and they were dicks... and nothing was instanced... and the crafting sucked...

yea... back to skyrim...
Pretty good extension of what I wanted to say.

Actually, I'm used to playing with lots of other people in an MMO, but I think the major problem is in what you said : nothing was instanced. That's a major problem in some way. It's actually perfectly fine to have open shared zones for everybody to do their stuff. But when it comes to following a specific quest, in a specific area, it's really problematic when you try to do the quest and you almost have to wait in line for the quest monster to respawn (and that's just one example). Maybe it's fixed now, it wasn't in the beta I played.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
shadowxvii said:
That's what I was afraid of. It's also why, as a huge fan of the ES series, I'm not touching ESO.

I'm also afraid that ESO is going to add to the ES mythos in ways that will need to be written into future games. If that happens, then the story will soon be changing in ways that I won't be able to follow, and ES is the only game series in which I'm fanatical about the lore.

MegaGame

Sep 27, 2013
Hazy992 said:
And if you buy this on Xbox One you'll also have to pay a subscription for Xbox Live. So at that point you're paying for the game, paying the subscription, paying for Xbox Live, all for a game with microtransactions.
Well the Live is Mircosoft and what microtransactions?

Gorrath said:
I've speculated before that the whole purpose of the in game cash shop is to make the inevitable transfer to F2P easier since the backbone of the system is already in place. I do hope they long for Skyrim money though. I swoon for another TES.
Except there is no ingame shop.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
Gotta say, I'm playing it and I'm loving it, the people so far are friendly and my current guild has been more tha welcoming at introducing me to the concepts. If it goes free-to-play then I'll enjoy introducing my friends who can't afford the monthly fee to the world

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I didn't think the game was nearly as awful as everyone said it was. It certainly wasn't as bad during the most recent beta prior to release than the one I played much earlier. That said, not great. The thing that I hated most was the other players, which just goes to show how much I'd have preferred another singleplayer game instead. That or at least one where I just choose to co op with 3 other people and that is it. I like my instances.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
"The Elder Scrolls Online is a huge step forward for the genre. It has a subscription fee and a cash shop. Welcome to the future."

Actually, it has a sub fee, a cash shop AND an up front initial box/download price. So, yeah, it had damn well better be groundbreaking (which, by most indications so far, it's absolutely not).

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
I'd rather have Elder Scrolls VI than ESO.
I'd rather play ESO with the option to toggle multiplayer visibility off so I don't see fifty people crowded around quest locations.
I'd rather not have to pick a class at character creation that forces me to restart the game when I realize it's not optimal for my build.
I'd rather choose to play a character without Magicka than one that is essentially forced to rely upon it.
I'd rather play with an intuitive crafting system instead of the bizarre, lovecraftian beast ESO gives us.
I'd rather play a social, crafting character that wasn't forced into combat, except the main quest requires you be a murderhobo to proceed.
I'd rather prefer it if the combat system didn't include red auras all over the enemies and scenery.
I'd rather prefer it if turning off the above visual effects didn't make it nigh-impossible to predict enemy attacks.
I'd rather forget the whole Coldharbour thing as a weird dream and ignore the main quest entirely.
I'd rather ditch the entire faction war and PvP entirely and just explore all of the zones as a trader or wandering minstrel.
I'd rather play a race without having to worry about it being 'optimal' for my style of play.
I'd rather complete courier jobs and explore the world than be forced into yet another combat encounter like 90% of quests.

I wanted to like ESO so much, but it's just... flawed in so many irreconcilable ways. I want to wander around the world, getting well and truly lost, finding hidden treasures and meeting interesting people. I want to do odd jobs for coin, at least enough to get by and keep my quiver filled. I want to sing songs in taverns, talk to passers by, and swap stories from across Tamriel.

I thought ESO was going to be the game for me, but it seems that I was wrong once again. Every MMO focuses on the combat and PvP, so much that they forget about the little things that make you want to BE in that world. Until game developers realize that RPGs are more than just third-person-shooters with stats and skills, I don't think I'll be participating anymore.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
happy_turtle said:
Gotta say, I'm playing it and I'm loving it, the people so far are friendly and my current guild has been more tha welcoming at introducing me to the concepts. If it goes free-to-play then I'll enjoy introducing my friends who can't afford the monthly fee to the world
I am enjoying it as well. One of my favorite features is that their "auction house", if you can even call it that, is restricted to guild only. This means very little twinking and the markets won't automatically be flooded with blue items or better by virtue of the hardcorz. Since you can be a member in up to 5 player guilds, that means you can join guilds based on focus. You can join a RP guild, a crafting guild, an auction guild, a PvP guild, and a grouping/endgame guild. No need to pick and choose your focus when you can do everything with players you know and like.

Probably the one thing that does need work is the presence of gold sellers. The leeches are in force and they take pride in expanding their spam so that it's one line longer than the default chat window size, making it difficult to /ignore or /report them. But this is just another growing pain that every MMO experiences so I'm not exactly surprised by this, nor does it lessen my enjoyment of the game. I'm usually too focused on crafting or killing to read chat.