Meet the Game Dogs - Chet and Roger

George Palmer

Halfro Representative
Feb 23, 2009
jimduckie said:
what no ducks ? aw that's not fair , i cry fowl yet again
HAHA! luv it!

On a more serious note we couldn't get the ducks as they were just far too expensive for the budget. We did have an agreement the badgers, but they got a better offer on another series.

I guess badgers CAN be choosers.

:D

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Even if this thing does turn out to be good, can we get an option to remove the ad from the left side of the page? Seriously.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Abedeus said:
"Why is the coyote chasing the roadrunner? Because so."
Even as a child I can remember specifically that Wil.E.Coyote is actually trying to eat the Roadrunner, it may be something to do with the fact that he occasionally drops cookbooks and dons a bib and grabs a knife and fork...

hmm, mabye I'm reading too much into it, I mean, obviously coyotes don't really eat roadrunners...

(I always remember that one where elmer fudd kills bugs and then regrets what he's done, it was a perfect allegory for how a person who enjoys hunting will hunt something to extinction and then regret it, only because there are no more left to kill)

TurtleBlob

Sep 17, 2009
Hackles

It's all I could think while watching that.

A webcomic about a dog that works at a software company with other anthropomorphized animals.
Marcus from marketing (from Hackles) and Gary (Game Dogs) seem close enough to be brothers. Marcus may be a rodent but... damn.

It ended in 2004.

[link]www.hackles.org[/link]

crypt-creature

May 12, 2009
Abedeus said:
Animaniacs were popular among adults too, but Looney Toons did have children as their target audience. Whom else? Adults? No blood or foul language or M material. Teenagers? No PG-13 material.

They were mainly funny gags, silly situations (without swear words or obscenity), physical comedy (again, nothing too serious). I don't see many adults nowadays watching those cartoons. Sure, if they are on and nothing better is on, I could watch Bugs Bunny or Tom and Jerry, but I'm not the target audience.
You do realize that the target audience for Looney Toons was everyone? Adult, teen and child?
You mistake blood, violence, and foul language with typical defining characteristics of todays shows and cartoons, which is your first problem.

You might want to do some research into the things you try and criticize.
You are part of the target audience.

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
The_Oracle said:
Am I the only one here who's extremely annoyed by the fact that the 'Game Dogs' ad keeps pasting itself over the left side of the screen when I keep trying to access pages? Because that keeps happening to me. AGAIN and AGAIN.

That said, this looks overly gimmicky and not very good. Who knows, this is just my first impressions, but I don't think it looks very good. I'm indifferent to this, but I don't think the other people here will take to anything they think is associated with "furries" either.
It gives me the feeling this furry thing is trying to shoehorn its way in. Anyway the pages load too fast for me to even think about clicking on it but its annoying none the less.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
crypt-creature said:
Abedeus said:
Animaniacs were popular among adults too, but Looney Toons did have children as their target audience. Whom else? Adults? No blood or foul language or M material. Teenagers? No PG-13 material.

They were mainly funny gags, silly situations (without swear words or obscenity), physical comedy (again, nothing too serious). I don't see many adults nowadays watching those cartoons. Sure, if they are on and nothing better is on, I could watch Bugs Bunny or Tom and Jerry, but I'm not the target audience.
You do realize that the target audience for Looney Toons was everyone? Adult, teen and child?
You mistake blood, violence, and foul language with typical defining characteristics of todays shows and cartoons, which is your first problem.

You might want to do some research into the things you try and criticize.
You are part of the target audience.
I'm just looking at it based on my experience and my environment. Fact is - my parents or my older sister rarely, if at all, watched the same cartoons as I did.

Also, if we REALLY want to "look how it was in 80s, 90s" we might as well go back to the beginning of the 20th century and make some War of the Worlds rip-offs, because it was such a popular (and still is fun today, just not really well-known) book. Oh, wait...

You are forgetting also that Game Dogs's target audience is players. What do dogs have to do with players, gamers, and GAMES? Some games had dogs as supporting characters or protagonists (...rarely, if ever), but nothing else. It just as well could be called "Game Cows" or "Game Donkeys", it would STILL have nothing to do with games.

Or be funny.

crypt-creature

May 12, 2009
Abedeus said:
I'm just looking at it based on my experience and my environment. Fact is - my parents or my older sister rarely, if at all, watched the same cartoons as I did.

Also, if we REALLY want to "look how it was in 80s, 90s" we might as well go back to the beginning of the 20th century and make some War of the Worlds rip-offs, because it was such a popular (and still is fun today, just not really well-known) book. Oh, wait...

You are forgetting also that Game Dogs's target audience is players. What do dogs have to do with players, gamers, and GAMES? Some games had dogs as supporting characters or protagonists (...rarely, if ever), but nothing else. It just as well could be called "Game Cows" or "Game Donkeys", it would STILL have nothing to do with games.

Or be funny.
For my family it was different. We had a number of shows that all of us watched, but that was mostly by chance and the fact that those shows were still somewhat popular or I/we just happened to enjoy them.

Personally I don't really care. It doesn't bother me, since video games are all over the place when it comes to content and characters/creatures (either lead or otherwise) and I just didn't put much thought into 'what do these things have to do with games'.
I could also name a good handful of games that have dogs or dog-like creatures as main or supporting characters (I can even name games that feature cows and bears as main characters). It's more than 'rarely, if ever' but again, it doesn't matter to me.

It really seems that you're putting too much thought into these characters, since when do you have to find some meaningful connection to a cartoon characters species in order to enjoy the content? If the content is bad or just not funny, having humans in place of the dog character wouldn't help the show in the slightest. Unless the show relies on 'human' jokes (indicating that they are dog-beings in a human environment instead of just workers in the game industry) far too much, it doesn't really matter what the main characters are.
If the 'furry' view is really getting to you that much it sounds like a personal issue.

Garaw

Sep 22, 2009
Andronicus said:
HR? Shouldn't that be CR? For, you know, Canine Resources?

Budum-tish

Looks kinda tacky, but I guess the proof will be in the eating, and all that...
Man, you ninja'd me a day ago and I didn't even realize it.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
crypt-creature said:
Abedeus said:

Or be funny.
For my family it was different. We had a number of shows that all of us watched, but that was mostly by chance and the fact that those shows were still somewhat popular or I/we just happened to enjoy them.

Personally I don't really care. It doesn't bother me, since video games are all over the place when it comes to content and characters/creatures (either lead or otherwise) and I just didn't put much thought into 'what do these things have to do with games'.
I could also name a good handful of games that have dogs or dog-like creatures as main or supporting characters (I can even name games that feature cows and bears as main characters). It's more than 'rarely, if ever' but again, it doesn't matter to me.

It really seems that you're putting too much thought into these characters, since when do you have to find some meaningful connection to a cartoon characters species in order to enjoy the content? If the content is bad or just not funny, having humans in place of the dog character wouldn't help the show in the slightest. Unless the show relies on 'human' jokes (indicating that they are dog-beings in a human environment instead of just workers in the game industry) far too much, it doesn't really matter what the main characters are.
If the 'furry' view is really getting to you that much it sounds like a personal issue.
I'm putting a lot of thought into the characters, because usually the characters define the show. And if there is something about them that makes the series funny... I want to know what it is. Because if it's just a big pile of one-liners, it's going to be more boring than Family Guy.

crypt-creature

May 12, 2009
Abedeus said:
I'm putting a lot of thought into the characters, because usually the characters define the show. And if there is something about them that makes the series funny... I want to know what it is. Because if it's just a big pile of one-liners, it's going to be more boring than Family Guy.
Very true, the character define the show. I just can't name too many shows where the species of the characters were more of a concern than the rest of the shows content. Yes, species can be very important. For most cartoons, people just don't seem to care as long as the show is interesting. If it isn't, the species or 'furry' accusation is just one of the many things they'll blame.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
I hope after they introduce the characters this show gets good, and I am getting use to the whole dog thing...

Kolossov

Dec 20, 2009
I don't think that cutting edge animation is the aim here. South Park and Beavis and Butthead are all very fun to watch, and the animation in both of them is nothing to write home about. This show will be judged for its story and jokes I reckon.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
the second I saw this i thought *coughvgcats/codemonkeyscoughcoughhzck*

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
The Infinite said:
Hey as long as it's got good humor then I wouldn't care if they were Care Bears.
Ironically, if they WERE care bears, it would probably be a bit funnier. As things stand, this show looks like garbage. Just a bunch of overly typical office jokes, with dogs. Woo hoo.

The Infinite

Mar 30, 2009
Liquid Paradox said:
The Infinite said:
Hey as long as it's got good humor then I wouldn't care if they were Care Bears.
Ironically, if they WERE care bears, it would probably be a bit funnier. As things stand, this show looks like garbage. Just a bunch of overly typical office jokes, with dogs. Woo hoo.
The more I think about it the better the idea sounds, care bears would be hilarious.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
The Infinite said:
Liquid Paradox said:
The Infinite said:
The more I think about it the better the idea sounds, care bears would be hilarious.
See? in three posts, we already have a much better idea for a show then game dogs.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Abedeus said:
Also, WHAT DO DOGS HAVE TO DO WITH GAMES?
Nothing... A terrible truth that must be remedied at ALL COSTS!! It fills me with much pleasure to see the Escapist staff taking in upon themselves to make this a reality for the good of mankind. I salute thee!

Hat of Controversy

Nov 11, 2009
Kolossov said:
I don't think that cutting edge animation is the aim here. South Park and Beavis and Butthead are all very fun to watch, and the animation in both of them is nothing to write home about. This show will be judged for its story and jokes I reckon.
True, BUT both South Park and Beavis and Butthead both have very iconic, memorable, and even somewhat profound styles. They were both unique and delivered their own type of entertainment, and they did it well.

This however just looks like the physical manifestation of everything that webcomics are infamous for.

Somewhat vague Video Game based theme?: Check
Generic Art style?: Check
Talking animals, whom of which are a little "too human" in design for their own good?: Check
Office environment?: Check
Embarrassing lack of detail and shading?: Check
Lazy animation?: Check
Bland character designs?: Check
Forgettable Backgrounds/environments?: Check
Incredibly dry/aimless humor?: Check

And I got all this just from watching the TRAILER. If the trailer isn't even going to try and impress, then why should any of us even give a hoot about the show?

But whatever, the Escapist is a big site now, and can do pretty much anything and get it noticed, or even get it SOME love... No matter how mundane/boring/incompetent it may be (e.g. Rebecca Mayes and whatever the heck you'd call her "work").