Megan Fox Wants to Star in a Live-Action Sailor Moon Movie

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Queen Michael said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Queen Michael said:
I'd say no thank you. We don't need more whitewashed Americanized Japanese stuff. The Ring, The Grudge, and so on... Let Asian movies be Asian.
Isn't Sailor Moon, by its nature, already Americanised?
Since it's a Japanese manga and a Japanese anime about Japanese people, I'd have to say no to that.
How kind of them to make it in English for us, then.
They also made it in French, Swedish, Italian, and lots of other languages. It still took place in Tokyo, as far as I know.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Ratty said:
It was dubbed into English after originally being in Japanese.
True! Though they did localize it very well. It was quite relatable for anybody; as a kid, I had no idea it was supposed to be in Japan until I learned of The Internet?.

I guess as well, my over-arcing question would be: Isn't it kinda weird to insist on cultural purity for a country that voraciously adapts outside culture more than virtually any other country in the region?

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
Cool. It would be worth it just to see how a polished, modern day transformation sequence. I watched a lot of Sailor Moon when I was a kid. It came on right before Dragon Ball Z when school let out, so I would watch that to make sure I wouldn't miss DBZ. I wonder if they'll keep it closer to the Japanese or American translation. Who would direct it?

I'm guessing something like that would only happen if the Jem movie is a hit, and even then... Honestly I would expect a Thundercats or Gundam Wing movie before Sailor Moon.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Yep, this is the warning the universe has given us that Hollywood is going to chew up the IP and spit out a rip-off movie that they paid to use the official name of the source material. Tuxedo Mask will probably be the villain, since the writers and studio execs don't pay attention to or care about the original story.

It's just like the Cowboy Bebop movie will ruin Spike's character by
making him an ex cop like Jet instead an ex Syndicate member, losing the important connections that happen later in the story.
Ed will probably be a boy who just shouts technobable instead of the crazy girl who's genius isn't apparent, too. If Megan Fox is cast as Faye, you just know something like that will happen.

With a decent script, Micheal Bay could make a good Thundercats and I'm cool with Megan Fox being Cheetara or a new or one-off character from the show. They better use make-up and prosthetic cat noses, not CGI, though. But even if the actress is quite excited to do the part, casting a big name star in an anime/video game movie is usually sign that the execs just trying to get as many non-fans to see the movie before the franchise's die hard fans warn everyone of another in-name-only stinker. Even Transformers had Shia "I'm not famous anymore" LeBouf to get the girls who don't care about giant robots and Megan Fox to get the frat boy who used her as an excuse to see a movie based on a robot cartoon based on a toy line.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well if they gonna make Sailor Moon into a Stripper, I'm all in (I kid)!

Also what? Gundam Wing? Last time they try to make a lived action Gundam film was G-Saviour which was a disaster (I'm pretty sure Gundam aren't made for the live action screen due to how much they have to cramp in the war politics into mere hours film length!!

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Norithics said:
Ratty said:
It was dubbed into English after originally being in Japanese.
True! Though they did localize it very well. It was quite relatable for anybody; as a kid, I had no idea it was supposed to be in Japan until I learned of The Internet?.

I guess as well, my over-arcing question would be: Isn't it kinda weird to insist on cultural purity for a country that voraciously adapts outside culture more than virtually any other country in the region?
Well, there's the issue of white washing to worry about. But also the school system depicted in Sailor Moon is extremely Japanese. From the school uniforms (which turn into the school uniform costumes) to worrying about extremely crucial exams. It's so Japanese I'm not sure an Americanized version would even be recognizable as an adaptation.

All that said, I'm not a big fan of Sailor Moon so maybe someone who is would be better qualified to talk about it. I loved it when I was 10 and 11 yeah, but watching it these days just makes me feel old.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Ignoring the whole Americanization thing, Megan Fox is way too old to play Sailor Moon. She can't convincingly play 14. How about someone who's actually a teenager, like Morgan Lily or Karley Scott Collins?

P.S. Thanks

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Covarr said:
Ignoring the whole Americanization thing, Megan Fox is way too old to play Sailor Moon. She can't convincingly play 14. How about someone who's actually a teenager, like Morgan Lily or Karley Scott Collins?

P.S. Thanks
There's no way Hollywood is making a movie about a 14 year-old girl who fights evil monsters and has a sexy transformation sequence. Shit, Hollywood would be apprehensive to make a movie about a 14 year-old boy who just does the monster fighting part. Sailor Moon will almost certainly be about a group of girls late in their high school years if it is Americanized. That shit don't fly around here.

Not that Megan Fox could convincingly play that either. Or any kind of shoujo protagonist. She's too much aggressive sexuality, not enough innocence. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it wouldn't really work for Sailor Moon.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Revnak said:
Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks
There's no way Hollywood is making a movie about a 14 year-old girl who fights evil monsters and has a sexy transformation sequence. Shit, Hollywood would be apprehensive to make a movie about a 14 year-old boy who just does the monster fighting part. Sailor Moon will almost certainly be about a group of girls late in their high school years if it is Americanized. That shit don't fly around here.

Not that Megan Fox could convincingly play that either. Or any kind of shoujo protagonist. She's too much aggressive sexuality, not enough innocence. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it wouldn't really work for Sailor Moon.
It would be easy to make it pass. They'd just have to rewrite the theme song like this:

Fighting evil by moonlight!
Tokyo's where she's living!
There, thirteen's the age of consent!
She is the one named Sailor Moon!

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Revnak said:
There's no way Hollywood is making a movie about a 14 year-old girl who fights evil monsters and has a sexy transformation sequence.
Then make the transformations less sexy. The age is a hugely important part of it, and making her older would really defeat the purpose.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. An Autism Speaks captcha? Really? These guys treat Autistic people as diseased, as inferior. Can't stand 'em.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I actually like Fox, and I also think a live action Sailor Moon movie could be pretty fun. I don't, however, think she should be in it unless she's maybe playing Beryl or something. Quite frankly, as attractive as Fox is, she's way too old looking to be playing a high school girl.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
She's a bit old for the role, but if you can ignore her age, she'd be a decent Sailor Mars. I'm glad the picture agrees.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Queen Michael said:
Revnak said:
Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks

It would be easy to make it pass. They'd just have to rewrite the theme song like this:

Fighting evil by moonlight!
Tokyo's where she's living!
There, thirteen's the age of consent!
She is the one named Sailor Moon!
It's still not necessarily normal to find young teens super sexy there, at least not for adults. However, shoujo is primarily marketed towards girls around 9 - 15 with some crossover with boys of the same age and a peripheral (and not totally well liked) demographic of otaku (I'm sure you know all of this, I'm just throwing it out there just in case). This movie will probably be targeted towards teenage girls (ideally) and nostalgic 20 and 30 somethings (definitely). A 14 year-old protagonist is not normal in that case. A sexy 14 year-old less so.

Covarr said:
Revnak said:
There's no way Hollywood is making a movie about a 14 year-old girl who fights evil monsters and has a sexy transformation sequence.
Then make the transformations less sexy. The age is a hugely important part of it, and making her older would really defeat the purpose.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. An Autism Speaks captcha? Really? These guys treat Autistic people as diseased, as inferior. Can't stand 'em.
I don't really see how it would be that important that she be in her early teens. I suppose the puberty metaphor is lost, but late teens is still a major transition point in life that the story can be about and it works better if the movie is going to mostly be made for nostalgic adults rather than actual teens.

Edit: note, I still consider her being in Highschool to be pretty non-negotiable.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Revnak said:
I don't really see how it would be that important that she be in her early teens. I suppose the puberty metaphor is lost, but late teens is still a major transition point in life that the story can be about and it works better if the movie is going to mostly be made for nostalgic adults rather than actual teens.

Edit: note, I still consider her being in Highschool to be pretty non-negotiable.
I'd say it's precisely because it's made for nostalgic adults that it's important to keep it close to the thing they're being nostalgic about.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Dunno. I never got into Sailor Moon (or the other shows) growing up so I don't really have that strong feelings about the idea. I think it would be nice to see a more female oriented animation adaptation, but the recent news about the upcoming Jem movie were kinda disappointing and I can kinda see Sailor Moon going the same way. "They are a group of girls auditioning for American Idol! Send us your audition tapes on youtube!"...

Lilani said:
Maybe it's a pregnancy thing? Her features seem softer post having kids.

gmaverick019 said:
OT: I'm surprised she actually knows what gundam wing and sailor moon even is, she didn't quite seem the type to know what those are, but hey, cool.
I watched some of her interviews a while ago and she seemed to grow up reading comic books (she mentioned X-men and Gen 13). I can kinda see a kid digging comic books also liking anime.

Sep 14, 2009
Ratty said:
gmaverick019 said:
OT: I'm surprised she actually knows what gundam wing and sailor moon even is, she didn't quite seem the type to know what those are, but hey, cool.

I honestly wouldn't go see it in theater, but if enough people wanted it I don't see why not.

Don't we have some members on this forum with sailor moon characters as their avatar?...I swore I've seen a couple around.
They were both on Toonami in the late nineties and early oughts. Toonami was huge back then, at least where I was. It was big enough to eventually get 2 spinoffs anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if she watched them on that. Everyone I knew ran home to watch Toonami, switched over to Kids!WB to watch Pokemon, then switched back to Toonami.
oh I whole heartily agree toonami was huge, that was my shit growing up. However, any girl who was overly feminine and could NOT care less about cartoons or any of those slightly geekier things did not watch toonami and actively called it stupid in my area, so it was mostly my close group of friends that I'd splurge over it about, where we'd sprint the 2 miles home from school to make sure we didn't miss the 8th episode of them powering up the spirit bomb in DBZ lol

Sep 14, 2009
Uhura said:
I watched some of her interviews a while ago and she seemed to grow up reading comic books (she mentioned X-men and Gen 13). I can kinda see a kid digging comic books also liking anime.
I've only seen her in transformers and that one horrible jennifer movie or whatever (I've basically purged it from my mind) so only had exposure from that. Fair correlation, didn't realize she was a comic book fan. I think she is a bit old to be portraying a 14 year old but I think she could fit another character or if they changed the ages I suppose.