Megan Fox Wants to Star in a Live-Action Sailor Moon Movie

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Queen Michael said:
Revnak said:
I don't really see how it would be that important that she be in her early teens. I suppose the puberty metaphor is lost, but late teens is still a major transition point in life that the story can be about and it works better if the movie is going to mostly be made for nostalgic adults rather than actual teens.

Edit: note, I still consider her being in Highschool to be pretty non-negotiable.
I'd say it's precisely because it's made for nostalgic adults that it's important to keep it close to the thing they're being nostalgic about.
Fine, I'll say it. A lot of those nostalgic adults are nostalgic about the boners they got. Making her a senior is a better choice, and considering that major Hollywood pictures almost never get made about girls of that age anyway, it just isn't happening. Will it hurt the message? Maybe. Will it make it so that we have no movies for 14 year-old girls? No, it just means we won't have any movies about teenage girls, and no coming of age movies directed towards girls (which is probably the most significant loss). It can still hit all the points that the original did, and it can do that without having to address the obviously uncomfortable issue of a bunch of 20 and 30 year old guys really feeling nostalgic for a show about 14 year-olds in short skirts.

If this wasn't going to partly be made for the male audience, then yeah, I'd find the idea of having them be 14 to be fine, but it will be made with that male audience in mind, because let's face it, Hollywood lives off of the nostalgia of 20 and 30 year-old dudes.

It would be nice if Hollywood did make some movies about that highly significant transition point in a girl's life, but it just isn't going to be Sailor Moon.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
What the article doesn't mention is in that live action remake she wants to do the voice of the CGI Luna.

Seriously how could you make Sailor Moon into a live action that would be marketable without completely changing into something its not? How are they gonna make a show that is very much a shonen-lite romance anime into a for the masses gritty action vehicle without losing everything that makes it SM? If its made i imagine it it lookin kinda like Suckerpunch sorry to say and i was a fan even after that little girl showed up grrr.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I'm amazed she even knows what these things are. She always struck me as an air head stuck up anti-nerd. Bet her acting is just as terrible now as it was years ago in the tf movies.

I can't think of anyone in particular who should play the sailor scouts but I think the movie would be better off as a more innocent kids film staring teen actors and not the inevitable grimdark bs hollywood would want to turn it in to.

It needs to maintain the light hearted goofy tone of the original show to really work. We need a new wave of harry-potter ish kids to star in movies like this, the sort that can actually act and not look weirdly too old to be portraying the characters they're portraying.

Kind of the problem with the concept of a lot of live action anime, you can't really do many of them with adult actors as the leads.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Revnak said:
Fine, I'll say it. A lot of those nostalgic adults are nostalgic about the boners they got. Making her a senior is a better choice, and considering that major Hollywood pictures almost never get made about girls of that age anyway, it just isn't happening. Will it hurt the message? Maybe. Will it make it so that we have no movies for 14 year-old girls? No, it just means we won't have any movies about teenage girls, and no coming of age movies directed towards girls (which is probably the most significant loss). It can still hit all the points that the original did, and it can do that without having to address the obviously uncomfortable issue of a bunch of 20 and 30 year old guys really feeling nostalgic for a show about 14 year-olds in short skirts.

If this wasn't going to partly be made for the male audience, then yeah, I'd find the idea of having them be 14 to be fine, but it will be made with that male audience in mind, because let's face it, Hollywood lives off of the nostalgia of 20 and 30 year-old dudes.

It would be nice if Hollywood did make some movies about that highly significant transition point in a girl's life, but it just isn't going to be Sailor Moon.
Yeah that's why I can't rewatch it now. It makes me feel like a dirty old man.
It just feels creepy to watch a show about a bunch of high school girls running around in short skirts. Even if as an 11 year old I liked it largely for the soap opera plot. And I sometimes wish I could revisit that aspect of it and get all nostalgia-y. At least I can still rewatch Outlaw Star and reminisce about my years as an insufferable weeaboo.

PS- You can't really remove the uniforms from the premise, that's where the "Sailor" in "Sailor Moon" comes from, the Japanese school girl uniform that looks like a Sailor's dress uniform.

NotThePANTSU

Apr 4, 2014
Scarim Coral said:
(I'm pretty sure Gundam aren't made for the live action screen due to how much they have to cramp in the war politics into mere hours film length!!
Have you seen the last couple of Gundam series? They're pretty much glorified toy-ads now.

OT: Please keep Megan and Hollywood away from the rest of my childhood, it's taken a severe beating already (especially the day I learned of the existence of 'Rule#34') so please don't kill it completely(!).

If the version of Sailor Moon English speaking fans are familiar with is as different from the original as I've been told, is there really an argument to be made for purity?

I used to watch it everyday despite the fact it was terrible (I guess for me it was sort of car-crash TV) and the most confusing part, I found, was the Americanisation. I remember watching the first episode trying to determine whether it was a heavily adapted animé or an American cartoon doing its damnedest to imitate animé.

Also, are there really enough fans for Hollywood to be concerned with offending when they didn't care about Transformers' or DBZ's rabid following?

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
NotThePANTSU said:
Scarim Coral said:
(I'm pretty sure Gundam aren't made for the live action screen due to how much they have to cramp in the war politics into mere hours film length!!
Have you seen the last couple of Gundam series? They're pretty much glorified toy-ads now.
Gundam Build fighter is still a god damn better series than G-Savior though. (Somehow nobody remember this shitty live action Gundam Movie). Gundam Age was already failure from the time it was planned. GBF was self-aware about what it actaully is, and doesn't become a pretentious show.

Ot:
Just NO.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Ratty said:
Well, there's the issue of white washing to worry about.
I'm sorry, I'm still kind of struggling with this: How do you whitewash a tall blue-eyed blonde?

But also the school system depicted in Sailor Moon is extremely Japanese. From the school uniforms (which turn into the school uniform costumes) to worrying about extremely crucial exams. It's so Japanese I'm not sure an Americanized version would even be recognizable as an adaptation.
That's a decent point, but... I don't know, uniforms in schools as a general thing aren't that alien to us. Perhaps it would have to be changed to some degree, but the school aspect never really mattered that much in the show- the main crux of it was just being a teenager. Wanting to be a pop star one day, worrying about weight the next, friends and dates and stuff like that. I don't think taking it away from The East does a whole lot to the concept.

lostlambda

May 19, 2011
Megan Fox or not I just dont want to see another one of my beloved childhood shows. Yes I liked Sailor Moon but could you picture sailor moon or gundum in the hands of hollywood. thats all I've got to say I couldn't care less about Megan Fox or not but they already screwed up TMNT.

NotThePANTSU

Apr 4, 2014
Kaimax said:
NotThePANTSU said:
Scarim Coral said:
Gundam Build fighter is still a god damn better series than G-Savior though.
I wasn't defending G-Savior but pointing out that war politics have no part in Gundam anymore.

Maybe I didn't give the latest series enough of a chance but after Gundam Age I had very little patience left for what I saw as a severe downward spiral from entertaining Scifi Animé to 25 minute advert for model kits.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Norithics said:
Ratty said:
Well, there's the issue of white washing to worry about.
I'm sorry, I'm still kind of struggling with this: How do you whitewash a tall blue-eyed blonde?
That's a whole other can of worms. Yes Japan does seem to like "exotic" western looks, but does that mean that anime characters who look white to westerners are intended to actually be white? Obviously that's a thorny issue, here's at least one interesting take on it that I've seen. http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/08/30/guest-post-why-do-the-japanese-draw-themselves-as-white/ don't forget girls hair color in the show runs the gamut from green to blue.

Norithics said:
But also the school system depicted in Sailor Moon is extremely Japanese. From the school uniforms (which turn into the school uniform costumes) to worrying about extremely crucial exams. It's so Japanese I'm not sure an Americanized version would even be recognizable as an adaptation.
That's a decent point, but... I don't know, uniforms in schools as a general thing aren't that alien to us. Perhaps it would have to be changed to some degree, but the school aspect never really mattered that much in the show- the main crux of it was just being a teenager. Wanting to be a pop star one day, worrying about weight the next, friends and dates and stuff like that. I don't think taking it away from The East does a whole lot to the concept.
I'm far from an authority on school uniforms, but as I mentioned in another post the "Sailor" part of Sailor Moon comes from the Japanese schoolgirl uniform. Which transforms into the hero costume and looks like a Sailor's dress uniform. I don't know if any American schools use such a uniform, but it's certainly less associated with them (or even less "iconic") than it is with Japanese schools. And in any case if it was a girl Megan Fox's age they would be out of such schools anyway. So either they'd wear the uniforms for no reason and look silly, or the name "Sailor Moon" would make no sense.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
There is a series of videos for men.......that they enjoy themselves to a specific beat (tis like guitar hero...but with a different name then guitar)...and funnily enough I just watched one yesterday that was sailor moon based lol.

I never thought of sailor moon in a sexualized manner before. But yeah, Megan Fox playing one of the roles should do it.

I think Amanda Seinfield should play Sailor moon though. I don't really know the characters names from that show, but I'm pretty sure the main character was blond (Guess Megan could wear a wig though).

Seriously though, how are they gonna handle the costume changes with live action?

Riverwolf

Dec 25, 2013
My problem is, good actress or not, Fox is too old for the role. I'm not sure how many non-fans remember/realize this, but they're supposed to be middle-school students. (Usagi is 14 when the series starts.) That's something PGSM (the Japanese live action show) got right: the actresses were generally the proper age. I suppose she could play one of the villains, but I doubt that's what she was talking about.

...however, there is one exception that could potentially help Fox's career and prove to the world she can act (if she really can): Sailor Pluto.

Queen Michael said:
They also made it in French, Swedish, Italian, and lots of other languages. It still took place in Tokyo, as far as I know.
They kind of went back and forth on it in America.

In the original Dic dub, they tried to make it take place in America: changing the text to hide Japanese characters and/or paint in English letters, swap car/bus scenes so the driver is on the other side, the character's even had English names (last names, too; Ami Mizuno was changed to Amy Anderson... seriously, those along with all the plot and character changes, the original "dub" is pretty much a completely different show). They didn't throw up their hands and just keep it in Japan until Cloverway did their absolute disaster of a dub of the third season a few years later (one episode takes place on the Tokyo Tower).

I don't actually know much about the worldwide dubs.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Finally, girl geeks can hate Megan like the guy geeks do!
Hey, Sailor Moon has plenty of guy fans. I'm one of them. And furthermore...

Revnak said:
Fine, I'll say it. A lot of those nostalgic adults are nostalgic about the boners they got.
I'm not one of those. I actually cared about the story and characters, seeing bits of myself in all of them.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Ratty said:
That's a whole other can of worms. Yes Japan does seem to like "exotic" western looks, but does that mean that anime characters who look white to westerners are intended to actually be white? Obviously that's a thorny issue, here's at least one interesting take on it that I've seen. http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/08/30/guest-post-why-do-the-japanese-draw-themselves-as-white/
... That is... well, that's interesting. I guess. But here's the problem: This premise- "your eyes deceive you, we see what we want"- defeats the entire idea of whitewashing.

If somebody's features absolutely don't matter in the depiction of a character, how can there ever be a problem with the race of the person playing them?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I don't know which Scout I could see her as. She doesn't scream "Sailor (insert name here)" for me. Still, if this was done properly, it could be interesting. I guess if push came to shove she could be Venus. She was always the prettiest of the group in terms of in-universe lore. Or maybe Rei, fiery spirit and whatnot. She can't be Moon because she's not perky enough. She can't be Jupiter because she's not tough/big enough, and she doesn't have the cute, smart thing going for her for Mercury. Maybe she could be Neptune, older and more mature.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
NotThePANTSU said:
Kaimax said:
NotThePANTSU said:
Scarim Coral said:
Gundam Build fighter is still a god damn better series than G-Savior though.
I wasn't defending G-Savior but pointing out that war politics have no part in Gundam anymore.

Maybe I didn't give the latest series enough of a chance but after Gundam Age I had very little patience left for what I saw as a severe downward spiral from entertaining Scifi Animé to 25 minute advert for model kits.
You keep up with Gundam Unicorn at all?

Also, in all honesty Gundam has always been a glorified 25 minute advert for models/toys, some series are just less obvious than others.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Riverwolf said:
Queen Michael said:
They also made it in French, Swedish, Italian, and lots of other languages. It still took place in Tokyo, as far as I know.
They kind of went back and forth on it in America.

In the original Dic dub, they tried to make it take place in America: changing the text to hide Japanese characters and/or paint in English letters, swap car/bus scenes so the driver is on the other side, the character's even had English names (last names, too; Ami Mizuno was changed to Amy Anderson... seriously, those along with all the plot and character changes, the original "dub" is pretty much a completely different show). They didn't throw up their hands and just keep it in Japan until Cloverway did their absolute disaster of a dub of the third season a few years later (one episode takes place on the Tokyo Tower).

I don't actually know much about the worldwide dubs.
The Swedish dub kept pretty much everything as in the original, except for these details:

1. Usagi's first name was changed to Annie. But Chibi-Usa was still named Chibi-Usa, so her insisting that "My name's really Annie!" didn't make sense since in the original, "Chibi-Usa" was a nickname for "Usagi." [footnote](Funny thing is, my mom didn't name my little sister Usagi like I'd asked her to, but she did like the idea of naming her Annie, so my sister Annie's got the same name as Sailor Moon.)[/footnote]

2. Zoisite was dubbed by a woman, almost certainly to remove the homoerotic vibes. (If they'd done that today there would have been an outrage.)

3. Queen Beryl was called Queen Morga, for some reason.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Norithics said:
Ratty said:
That's a whole other can of worms. Yes Japan does seem to like "exotic" western looks, but does that mean that anime characters who look white to westerners are intended to actually be white? Obviously that's a thorny issue, here's at least one interesting take on it that I've seen. http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/08/30/guest-post-why-do-the-japanese-draw-themselves-as-white/
... That is... well, that's interesting. I guess. But here's the problem: This premise- "your eyes deceive you, we see what we want"- defeats the entire idea of whitewashing.

If somebody's features absolutely don't matter in the depiction of a character, how can there ever be a problem with the race of the person playing them?
Because it still should take place in Japan. And sure, you could simply write her as an immigrant, but then it'd change how people in-universe see and treat her a whole lot.

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
Haven't had a chance to use this in a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0&list=LLbzf-1GGu5v-5Kjs1-J3Z7g&index=38

Megan Fox's acting abilities aside with the way Hollywood treats source material what we'd get is something catered to people who don't even know the source material and just want empty female characters (Covergirl in G.I. Joe 1 and Lady Jaye in G.I. Joe 2), destruction (Superman causing massive amounts of collateral damage), crude jokes (Decimator's balls), and pretty much everything else added in to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Don't own the clip btw just love laughing with it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I wouldn't hold my breath for a Sailor Moon movie. First, I was never a Sailor Moon fan. Second, it just doesn't seem to translate well into a movie. Sailor Moon was a very serialized and formulaic show.

Queen Michael said:
I'd say no thank you. We don't need more whitewashed Americanized Japanese stuff. The Ring, The Grudge, and so on... Let Asian movies be Asian.
To be fair, Gundam has always been very multicultural. Gundam Wing's pilots are Japanese, American, Arab, Chinese, and European or Russian, no one seems to know what Trowa is. Now, you could argue about the tone, but there's a lot more to say about what makes a good adaption or not. I'd actually be more worried about other aspects (The Gundam pilots are effectively terrorists) and making the fights look good since the battles tended to have many machines getting trashed by the Gundams.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect the adaption to be good. There's too much for them to screw up. Only good adaption I have seen of an anime so far is the Rorouni Kenshin movie.

Mr. Q said:
Short answer: No!

Long answer: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

A lot of us are still hurting from the last time Hollywood failed to do an anime/manga adaptation properly. We called it Dragonball: Evolution. The last thing I wanna see is another property brutalized like that, especially if Megan "I've got the acting range of a 2x4 with a pair of silicon implants nailed to it" Fox is attached to it.
At least Dragon Ball Evolution gave us the Honest Trailer.

One day, I wanna watch the Riff Track for that movie.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Queen Michael said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Queen Michael said:
I'd say no thank you. We don't need more whitewashed Americanized Japanese stuff. The Ring, The Grudge, and so on... Let Asian movies be Asian.
Isn't Sailor Moon, by its nature, already Americanised?
Since it's a Japanese manga and a Japanese anime about Japanese people, I'd have to say no to that.
I may be misremembering the show? But I thought the cast it self was represented as a little broader than Japanese? Or even Asian? I mean the main title character is a Blue Eyed Blonde? And was the other blonde the daughter of an Ambassador (for some reason I want to say an American Diplomat, but that may have just been a localized translation?)

Is it just me or does that interview about animated shows with her seem 1000x more interesting than any performance she has ever given in a movie? Does she only know how to play a moron on screen?