Microsoft Buys Skype

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Naive poeple, think that Microsoft buying skype to make money... They are obviously trying to take over the world.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
Finally. About time skype gets proper codecs.
I hope they integrate it with Windows Live, too.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Wandrecanada said:
Just another step towards Microsoft's all in one internet media service. With Hulu, Netflix and Skype they are now in direct competition with local content providers but with national backing. Have Skype run through the Kinect sensor and MS can replace the DVR, Telephone and DVD/BluRay player with a single box.

Imagine the stock value of the only electronic device you'll ever need connected to your TV monitor.
It's funny because the 360 doesn't have bluray and basically everything you mentioned is on the PS3.

(Jokes about the psn being down aside).

Edit: Keep in mind I buy all consoles from all providers, not trying to start a "this vs. that" thing.

It's just that the former description reminded me of the latter.

Atlas13

Jan 4, 2011
Are Skype's stand-alone apps dead?

"No, at least not yet anyway. Microsoft says it will continue to invest and support Skype on non-Microsoft platforms. Skype currently offers apps for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows, Android, Blackberry, iOS and Symbian devices."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/227505/microsoft_skype_deal_a_consumer_faq.html
That's good, I just hope that they don't start charging to use skype.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
jonyboy13 said:
Naive poeple, think that Microsoft buying skype to make money... They are obviously trying to take over the world.
*chuckles* :3

Seriously though, Most of the people I know are looking to use Skype to get away from the windows Live services that have gone straight down the shitter as of late. I'm not someone who uses Myspace or Facebook. I don't want my display name to be my real name. Though, I'm not going to gimp out for pidgin again. =/ Feathered Rat.

Microsoft's gonna have to be pretty careful with this one. They've already lost the bigoted and narrow-minded users on the Skype Service. They should aim to appease the users that stayed so they can make the revenue the service's previous owners made.

Arehexes said:
So I can't use it on android now?
I would also aim to read the article before commenting.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I have heard of skype, but never used it, so I am quite unfamiliar with it. Is this a big deal that Microsoft bought it?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
theultimateend said:
Wandrecanada said:
Just another step towards Microsoft's all in one internet media service. With Hulu, Netflix and Skype they are now in direct competition with local content providers but with national backing. Have Skype run through the Kinect sensor and MS can replace the DVR, Telephone and DVD/BluRay player with a single box.

Imagine the stock value of the only electronic device you'll ever need connected to your TV monitor.
It's funny because the 360 doesn't have bluray and basically everything you mentioned is on the PS3.

(Jokes about the psn being down aside).
Well he could be referring to the news about Microsoft within the next year will possibly announce their next console. They say they will do it at E3 so that Nintendo doesn't steal the show, but I doubt MS is ready for that.

There is no reason why their next console couldn't have a BluRay player. With MS buying up all this things, it could be in preparation for adding it to their new console.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Soylent Bacon said:
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
I still don't see why this is a bad thing, other than speculation on how Microsoft will apparently "RUIN IT FOREVER!"
But Microsoft is a BIIIG BAAAAD CORPORATION! Anything they touch will be CORRUPTED by their GREED for MONEY, which is the ROOT OF ALL EVIL! They're probably using their newly aquired video chatting service to SPY on us for the GOVERNMENT so they can ROB US OF OUR FREEDOMS somehow! Also, OTHER WORDS USED TO VAGUELY SOUND BAD FOR NO GOOD REASON! MICRO$OFT, AMIRITE?
Almost. You see, as a corporation, Microsoft per se is an intangible. It doesn't exist, just like any other organization (cities, states, countries, the United Nations, etc.). So it can't be eeevil.

How Microsoft got their eeevil reputation is by providing a sheltered venue for self-interested people to wag the dog of their entire market base with horribly unethical practices - basically, anything to control the people using their technology into buying more of their technology was promoted. Even if it broke laws, so long as the move was worth the lawsuits, they did it, and while simultaneously strong-arming and suing small developers working with Microsoft technology to prevent the growth of competition.

So the issue here is, are the same "anything goes as long as we make money" people still calling the shots and in charge? Generally, yes. While employees come and go, executives tend to stay, unless they cash out their stock options and go do something else. And worse, their past practices become part of the corporate culture, meaning that the new people operate in the same manner.

But I don't think that's the fear here. My personal fear is about their competence level. You see, Microsoft's people have never been really competent at anything that customers have to deal with directly. Even their newest OS has me shaking my head as I try to use it for common tasks like file management.

So the main fear is that MS's collective incompetence is going to mess up something that currently works pretty well. Imagine if MS bought Steam (which is an imperfect service, but currently the best around) and gave it to the Games for Windows division. /shudder

Michael Delvey

Dec 9, 2010
Google already has Google Talk, Microsoft has MSN and Windows Live. Cisco shocked me the most, because they have the best video conferencing software I've seen. The only company that will actually need Skype will be Facebook, because they don't have video chat implemented yet. I guess the only reason everyone else will want it is because of the cross-platform capabilities and the 700 million user base. And like some else said earlier, Microsoft probably bought it so everyone else will start from scratch.

Rofl-Mayo

Mar 11, 2010
Now they're probably going to charge people to use it. Isn't that fun?

Or else they'll give you a shitty version for free and a moderate one for quite some money.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
That's way too much. The only reason they would ever do this is to kill the competition, and that's never good.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Grampy_bone said:
They'll probably cut out features and compatibility then release a "professional" version for money which does all the things the old one did.
This is what I'm worried about. Seriously, this is a bad thing... Microsoft may end up adding some more features and pumping some extra money into it, but they're going to neuter the 'free' version and make everyone pay for the more much more expensive version if they want a decent live chat program.

Toeys

Mar 30, 2010
Don't get the trouble. Skype is shit, i'm forced using it cause my friends are hopeless and don't know how to manage ventrilo. i wouldn't call landlines unless for talking to people abroad anyway...i don't understand why anyone would? unless in a third world country?