Microsoft Exec: Offline Gamers Should Stick With Xbox 360

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Don't need to tell me twice microsoft, I won't touch your console even if every best exclusive magically hopped there.

Ralphfromdk

Mar 26, 2009
Some where high up in the ranks of Microsoft, there is some one with a crap ton of Sony stock, who really want's MS to fail this generation, so he can get rich from his Sony stock.

I mean, what else can it be. No sane person would ever think think that what MS is doing is the smart thing. Unless it's on purpose that is.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I can't think of any system that I want to buy LESS than the xbone. Fuck those smug shitheads at M$, you will get nothing from me but pissed off looks...
PS4 has already got a reserve off me after the show last night. Treating every possible customer like a criminal that must check in regularly is NOT how you gain customers, other companies obviously know this so they'll make some cash off me.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
"Until you use it, it's really hard to understand what all the advantages are."

I would appreciate it if Mattrick tried flogging his magic beans at a different village to mine.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
DugMachine said:
Gabe Yaden said:
DugMachine said:
The sad thing is the console will still sell relatively well when ignorant dudebros are going to dish out $500 so they can play the next COD and BF4.
Like it or not those so-called dude bros are bringing in piles of money to support your hobby, so perhaps acting like a jackass to them isn't the best course of action.
Agreed. Be rare to find one that even bothers to research a console before hand though. I already have 3 friends that have pre-ordered the xbone. They're not the brightest people.
There's still hope. I know a lot of casual gamers who were scared off by the creepiness of the Kinect alone. They're otherwise unaware of how horrible the XBone really is. Add to it the fact that I'm telling pretty much everyone I see not to buy it, as I'm sure many other people are as well. Yeah, it'll sell some units, it's a gaming system: of course it will. But the Dreamcast sold units, and we all know what happened to that. The difference is that the Dreamcast was a fun little console while the XBone is a rectangular piece of giant slug shit.

That's right folks: the XBone is something that Jabba the Hutt shat out after eating too many of those little frog thingies.

CardinalPiggles said:
And until you use it, it's really hard to understand what all the advantages are
So tell us Microsoft, what are the advantages of not being able to play your single player games because your internet is down?
Well OBVIOUSLY they can't tell you what the advantages are, they'd be too hard to understand! :p

Apparently all the advantages exist within the Matrix, because you have to experience them for yourself...by completely removing yourself from reality.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Not much more need be said than this. Don Mattrick has his head so far up his ass his head is making a second lap through his digestive tract.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Is this guy an idiot? Clearly he has no idea how to do PR. This is just about 1 or 2 steps above coming right out and saying "fuck you" to your potential customers. You don't get much worse than that when it comes to PR.
Andy Chalk said:
The implication that only people living in submarines would have problems with the online requirement notwithstanding, Mattrick claimed Microsoft knew there would be resistance to the decision but said people would come to embrace the idea of a connected console once they actually had a chance to see it in action.
Yeah we'll see how much people "embrace" it when your sales tank esp. when you keep making boneheaded statements like this one.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wow Microsoft is straight up starting flamewars against their userbase, only surprising thing right now is they aren't running a new slogan "Xbone, buy it or you're a fag!".

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I...I just don't...how does he even...what?

First, not understanding what it means to be on a nuclear sub? It means the guy is in the armed forces and it's rather hard to get an internet connection when you're under the ocean running military drills and "protecting our freedom" and whatnot. I'm betting the soldiers out in the Middle East on those fire bases don't have the best internet connection either. Way to just throw them all under the bus and insult what they do.

Next, let me see if I have this right. Microsoft is literally telling people to NOT buy their new product? Did I miss something? Is that now a valid business strategy? Telling consumers that your new product is not for them, so they should save their money and just keep your old product is...that's baffling from a business standpoint. That is telling people not to give your company money. How...?

Finally, and here's a small nugget of hope, does this mean that support for the 360 will continue? Will it still get new games? Will it get Halo 5 and Halo 6 (because those are the only reasons I'd buy a Xbox One) and other exclusives a few years from now? If that's the case, then I have no interest in buying their new console because their old one is still giving me everything I want.

I have been watching this Xbox One thing and just shaking my head as Microsoft slowly races toward a cliff in my eyes--when CNN starts reporting on your system and is warning that things aren't looking good, you know you're in trouble--but this! This has caused me to finally sit up and go, "No! What the hell are you doing?!"

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
SOoo...... When do you think they'll promote him high enough that he'll never have to speak or do anything public again?

Well at least he doesn't fully adhere to the "all polished PR rambling" Like all those other stereotypical businessmen go by, He does something unique by doing a "Half-assed polished PR ramble with a hint of jerk-ish honesty of his opinions" speech.

OT: well looks like the 360 won't be discontinued just yet, let's see how far they think this will go on before we get our "Show"

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Holy cow.

1. "If you don't have stable internet connection, don't bother coming to the next gen where all the new games are.

2. He tells us that people who want to play old games are silly, then tells us to play old games.

3. He's actively telling people to not buy the new console.

4. He's actively telling people to not buy the new console.

Dammit, guys, I'm trying to lose weight! This is too rich for me!

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Why thank you Microsoft for confirming that I should just stick with the Xbox 360. Please, keep talking. You're only furthering my resolve to never buy an Xbox One and making my console buying decisions this generation that much easier.

Seriously, though, is Microsoft really so disconnected from gamers that they honestly think we would like to hear what they are saying? They must be because I can't see anyone saying stuff as ridiculous as this guy is saying if they really do understand the gaming community.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
so basicly Microsoft executive Don Mattrick says "suck it, we don't care about you"... yeah, I kinda had that feeling since a couple of months ago

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I am a bit confused. Is he saying they are still going to support the X-Box 360 after the X-Box One comes out and support it all throughout the entire next generation of consoles and still have games made for it? Or is he saying that they don't want people who want to play offline as customers? It sounds like he is saying the latter.

It almost sounds like he expected the PS4 to do the same thing that the X-Box One is doing and now that he found out it isn't that he is trying to get people to still buy a console for those that want to play offline.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Microsofts attitude is just awesome. I'm having so much fun laughing about these morons. It's not just the Xbone with which they're alienating their customer base. It was the same with Windows 8...

"You don't like our new interface? Tough luck!"

And look how impressive the Windows 8 and Windows Smartphone sales are....

Hopefully the Xbone sales will at least be similarly disappointing

Mastodonic

Jul 5, 2010
They don't even address the issue of un-planned outages or even planned upgrades. I have stable internet, its up 99% of the time i would say. Only a few weeks ago, line damage meant i had no internet for 3 weeks. I bought a couple PC games and played them single player because i could and it was a viable alternative during a frustrating 3 weeks.

What i would love to say to this guy, from an audience or to his face is simple;

"How about i take my $499. I take my $499 and go and spend $399 on a PS4, i spend the other on a bottle of Glenfiddich. I take my PS4 home, and my whiskey and i enjoy both of them offline while you go AND FUCK YOURSELF!"

That would be gratifying.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Sleekit said:
"don't buy our new console" that's what i heard there.
this guy sounds like a right mook.
That's probably the best thing to come out of Microsoft's mouth these past few months/years, and the only thing I will follow the suggestion of. PS4 it is :)