Microsoft Executive Replies To Xbox One Negativity

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
They are basically saying "we are sticking to our guns, online only, used games restrictions, blah blah, but we think you sheep will still buy it"

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Microsoft thinks it's still teasing us. I reality it's already blown it's load, thrown-up on our backs and passed out on the floor with it's pants around it's ankles. All thats left is to take a shower and go through it's wallet for the bus fare to Sony's house.
LMFAO! That is a TERRIBLE yet true analogy. I

OT:
Yeah it is a race to get people with limited income to pay for A SINGLE new console not both...... Wait a minute though.... With the NSA funding and targeting the people with a large amount of disposable income.... Maybe Micro$oft is not trying to sell to the average consumer.... so they are not in a rush to get a product the average consumer wants to buy.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
If they had anything that will change people's perceptions then they would have shown it. They have nothing.

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
I am really questioning the intelligence of people who are buying the xbone. This generation of people seem to have no concept of privacy, ownership, or rights. I am afraid for the future.

To translate for dudebros and halo fans... "Hey brah, you fucking stupid brah"

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
This is kind of hilarious. See, Microsoft can say 'it'll eventually be good enough that you'll want it over the PS4', and maybe that's true, but it doesn't matter if at that point everyone already has a PS4 - Once you've got the one console, convincing you to buy another is much more difficult. Microsoft can't just make these long term promises and hope they'll solve everything. This is a sprint, because it's not just about selling your consoles to people, it's selling your consoles to them before they buy the other guys and don't want yours anymore. Just because Microsoft doesn't want to participate in the sprint doesn't mean they have a coherent strategy.

Triality

May 9, 2011
Microsoft VP Phil Spencer has his head so far up his own ass that he no longer recognizes the smell of fresh air, and whenever by happenstance it may grace him with its presence he recoils with a hiss and shoves his head further into his bowels to escape its fragrant aroma because he can no longer stand its sweet smell.

Apologies to the mods if this was too vicious, but it makes me furious when a company I supported holds me in such contempt and treats me like an idiot.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I once made a comment about handing a dude who's in a deep hole with a lightning rod that's filling up with water due to a violent thunderstorm a glass of water...because said dude was really not helping his case by talking. For your entertainment, I give you Micrsoft.

"Sir, I'm sure the hole for this lightning rod is down deep enough. It's starting to rain. We have to get going!"

Microsoft: Rain? Whuh-oh! We have to get away from all this water! DIG FASTER!!!

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
*spits food*

Oh Phil Spencer your such a wag! please stop, i'm gonna kill myself laughing if you dont!

*Capcha=Foregone conclusion* oh, how utterly appropriate...

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
That logic is idiotic.
You can't say anything bad until it's out on the shelves?
No, I don't think it works like that. Unless you plan to completely rework your console and practices within those five months until launch, it's still going to be garbage receiving the same complaints. Only people will be even more angry having wasted their money and coming into direct contact with what they were warned about prior.

Even good software can't save such atrocious practices.
Oh Microsoft, what are you going to do?

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
You know I hate to bring politics onto a game/entertainment forum but; doesn't this all feel like the election we had not too long ago? Rich, out of touch man(men), spouting none-sense and claiming a grand plan and great ideas for fixing/improving things. Yet wouldn't say anything concrete or profound. Made some comments that caused quite abit of backlash and anger among the public? Didn't apologize for it and just kept going? Then you have the other guy speaking level headed and simple. Saw what the people wanted/needed and laid out his plan. That's what I'm seeing. Maybe I'm looking at it too deeply. But it's that thought process that brought me to a rather strange theory. I think I've hit upon the reason things are going like this for MS. You do recall the talk of used game systems, yes? What if they've already signed the contracts? What if they've already made all their backroom deals and made all the handshakes and nods? Perhaps they've already locked themselves. The boulder is already rolling down the hill, there's no way for them to stop it. Apologizing or taking things back would put them in a worst situation than having some of their fans migrate to another system. A part of them thinks their exclusives alone might be enough to entice them back or keep them. In either case what they might be thinking is hard to figure. Alot of guess work since the logic seems to be lacking. I'm not a business man perhaps they've weighed the risk vs the rewards. The gamble they're taking is similar to Sony's Blu-ray vs HD Dvd. The outcome will set the field for the future generations and systems.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
Riff Moonraker said:
I've already preordered mine, and shortly after that the preorders were sold out at my gamestop. The guy there mentioned that 5 or 6 other stores were also sold out. I am happy that I am getting one, and I am happy that I am going to be playing Elder Scrolls. :)
Well, enjoy your spybot I guess. Personally I'm sticking with a machine that doesn't need to arbitrarily connect to MS servers every single goddamn day and has games that won't up and die the moment the production companies servers have a hiccup.

That's assuming you're a real person and not, as I suspect, just a microsoft employee trying to desperately hype up the Xbone wherever you can.

TomPreston

Feb 9, 2010
The sad thing is, while we all might hate the Xbox One, it's still gonna sell well. Because 1) consumers don't know what's in store for them and 2) it's Microsoft and they can throw as much money at it as they want to keep it going, even if it's losing profits. Their ego is so big they can't accept the idea of defeat, so they'll pretend that nothing's wrong.

HippySteve

Oct 4, 2012
Tortoise and the Hare? They're playing this like I play QWOP. Fuck, you want to know how the two systems are doing, go on Amazon and look at the video game bestsellers, I guarantee you the PS4 is handily outselling the Xbox One.

EDIT: Looks like it's doing the same on the Gamestop website, as well.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
Guys, pre order one now and get a controller with slightly different coloured plastic! And an arbitrary achievement!
Or buy a sharpie and pre-order the PS4, you'll get a better experience and pay $98.79 less!

HippySteve

Oct 4, 2012
Shoggoth2588 said:
Sorry, did Microsoft say something stupid again? I was a little bit busy playing New Super Mario U and checking again to see when the PS4 is going to be for sale. I should probably point out that if this was a race Nintendo wouldn't be doing too well either since they started out sprinting before the gun was fired only to fall asleep several steps in front of the starting line to the bemusement of Sony and Microsoft (Microsoft having just finished grafting his feet to a point just below the knees because Cotton Hill is such a great character).

Titan Fall looked cool to me but I'm not spending $500 for that and that alone. Also did anyone else assume Killer Instinct was going to be revealed to be on the 360 and in stores right then? Like the new 360 which is apparently also in stores now?
Thankfully, Titanfall will also be for 360 and PC!

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
jackdaniel0001 said:
In the US market at least (seems like the only one MS cares about), I wouldn't be surprised is xbox1 do similar level of sales as PS4. There is a reason that they marketed the device as a 'media' device rather than a gaming console, so I expect people who don't care about games to buy it for their house living room.

They way I see it, there are definitely large amount of people who will get xbox1:

1. MS Die hard fans, they can't live w/o the new installment of Halo
2. Middle aged folks with family (rich enough to absorb the +100 price tag), they want a entertainment center for the living room and chose xbox1 for that purpose
3. Tech obsessed people (me included) who think the the kinetic is the most wonderful thing ever and have to have one
4. Grand parents (or generally people unfamiliar with gaming culture) buying Christmas presents. They just picks a choice at random. The can convinced to shell out extra $100 for some cool gadgets if the sales person at the store is good.

Don't underestimate these groups, they are strong in numbers and WILL prop Xbox sales number in the US.
This one in particular makes me so happy I work the electronics department here, people ask my opinion and I steer them away from shit products, especially if they don't know what the hell they're buying.

OT: $4-500 looks like a good investment in upgrading my PC, even though I figure it'll still stomp the shit out of this next gen of consoles as is.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
lordmardok said:
Riff Moonraker said:
I've already preordered mine, and shortly after that the preorders were sold out at my gamestop. The guy there mentioned that 5 or 6 other stores were also sold out. I am happy that I am getting one, and I am happy that I am going to be playing Elder Scrolls. :)
Well, enjoy your spybot I guess. Personally I'm sticking with a machine that doesn't need to arbitrarily connect to MS servers every single goddamn day and has games that won't up and die the moment the production companies servers have a hiccup.

That's assuming you're a real person and not, as I suspect, just a microsoft employee trying to desperately hype up the Xbone wherever you can.
Yep, you got me. I am a microsoft employee. Yep.

Seriously???

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
"I am a microsoft and im digging my hole... diggy diggy hole..."

Thats what ther recent statements comming from microsoft sound to me...

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
jackdaniel0001 said:
Deathfish15 said:
E3 2013: The year that Microsoft Xboned itself. har, har, hardy, har, har.

jackdaniel0001 said:
In the US market at least (seems like the only one MS cares about), I wouldn't be surprised is xbox1 do similar level of sales as PS4. There is a reason that they marketed the device as a 'media' device rather than a gaming console, so I expect people who don't care about games to buy it for their house living room.

They way I see it, there are definitely large amount of people who will get xbox1:

1. MS Die hard fans, they can't live w/o the new installment of Halo
2. Middle aged folks with family (rich enough to absorb the +100 price tag), they want a entertainment center for the living room and chose xbox1 for that purpose
3. Tech obsessed people (me included) who think the the kinetic is the most wonderful thing ever and have to have one
4. Grand parents (or generally people unfamiliar with gaming culture) buying Christmas presents. They just picks a choice at random. The can convinced to shell out extra $100 for some cool gadgets if the sales person at the store is good.

Don't underestimate these groups, they are strong in numbers and WILL prop Xbox sales number in the US.
1) Halo is dead since Bungie no longer makes it. Bungie is making Destiny, which wil be on PS4. To want something new from the Halo creators means that you aren't tethered to the Xbone.

2) Middle aged folks with families don't necessarily but gaming consoles for themselves. They buy it for their kids, based on their kids screaming "mommy, daddy, I want XXXXXX". This year based on what the kids see it might just be the PS4 that they want.

3) The Kinect is only an advancement over the PS2's EYETOY (remember that 2 gen ago?). There is also a PC version releasing that will be cracked, emulated, and run free of Microsoft's Xbone DRM console. It's not advanced tech at all, just motion sensory units (something that's been around for decades.

4)You're wrong if you think Grandparents are going to pick the MORE EXPENSIVE one. See, they'll pick the cheapest one...this isn't 10 years ago and the economy has crashed once already around 4 years ago, still not have recovered. To assume that people don't care about the extra $100 is just ignorant.
1) Halo is just an lazy example I made up. I meant to say that a sizable portion (maybe 20-30%) of the xbox user (for whatever reason) will like stick with MS no matter what Sony has.

2) That depends on people. I think non gamers could be convince to buy xbox1 if MS goes on a media blitz. After a intense ad campaign about how this new box is TiVo+BluRay+gaming console put together, there will be new converts.

3) What you say is true. But going back to my second point, people who don't know gaming well enough won't know the difference.

4) Yea, what you say makes sense. But depending on what sort of bundle comes with Xbox1, some people may decide there are values in the bundle purchase.

In any case, my main point is to point out that MS could potentially expand the consumer base to people who never owned a gaming console. Then all the detailed tech stuff, game lineups and DRM issues will become secondary to how well MS can market. People who don't come to this site, or other gaming site can be easily lead to think xbox1 is a awesome futuristic device and all the cool people must have one.

Those people can readily make up for the 360 users who get pissed off at MS.

(And also this only applies to US market, xbox1 outside the US is pretty much dead on arrival)
The problem is not the 20% to 30% of hardcore XBox fans who will stick with it. The problem is the (conservative estimates) 20% to 30% current customers who, based on what they have seen, will choose something else. That is a huge swing from a business perspective. That is a carreer ending, CEO firing sort of swing. And MS really is walking a razors edge right now.

And MS will attract virtually no new non gamer customers with this console. Zip. The problem there is price. New gamers will not go for the expensive option. That's why the Wii sold so well (and the WiiU is kinda flopping directionless.) experienced gamers will pay $500 for something new. But it exceeds the price of entry for newcomers when sitting next to the $400 and $350 consoles. Add to this that chances are the fine employees of GameStop and similar vendors will probably not be stearing said new gamers to MS all things considered, and the direct growth of newcomers option is kinda closed to them.

MS has started off this console generation so badly that the best they can do is to sit in the slot of a successful also ran. A PS3 or GameCube type position. But they dance dangerously close to Sega and Atari.