Microsoft: Halo: Reach the "Best-Selling Xbox Exclusive In History"

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Marketers are just doing what marketers will do.

Perhaps Micro$oft is hoping this statement will generate enough peer pressure to get everyone else on board.

Sorry, but I'm not interested in your mediocre shine-fest of a game Microsoft.
So you clicked on the story about the mediocre shine-fest because you weren't interested and peer pressure made you? Or you just had to come in here and troll with such wonderful and insightful gems as 'Micro$oft'?

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
Why, exactly, do you feel compelled to defend naked trolling? I've noticed that not a single person who has taken issue with my claim has treated calling people who like Halo retards as anything other stating an opinion in a perfectly civilized manner.
Who's defending anybody? I'm just objecting to the claim and picking on who I believe is in the wrong in your quotation thread.
First, Xaero pretty much said that he doesn't know any other 360 exclusive besides Gears of War. Then you take that as an insult and make a comment about GoW. Then he makes a rude fanboy remark. Finally, you go off on a tangent about Halo bashers when he didn't directly bash Halo once. Explanation? :p

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
cobrausn said:
So you clicked on the story about the mediocre shine-fest because you weren't interested and peer pressure made you? Or you just had to come in here and troll with such wonderful and insightful gems as 'Micro$oft'?
And my post still contributed more to this topic than your complaint.

I have a right to criticize hype, and the motivations behind it, so if you don't like my opinion, then too bad.
I find the Halo series to be highly uninspired and hyped beyond reason. This constant parading of "how great it is" annoys me; especially when the entire internet won't shut the fuck up about it.
So pardon me for venting a little.

On Topic: What's the point of Micro$oft making this statement other than bragging, which is a form of trolling in its own right?

mandrilltiger

Mar 19, 2009
It's just too bad that is wasn't an original story with a original cast of character and featured something unique and new. It's also too bad my dog doesn't fly and speak French.

[sub]PS: I don't hate Halo and the same can be said about several games coming out soon, so don't take this as trolling.[/sub]

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
Madmanonfire said:
Who's defending anybody?
You are, as soon as you begin characterizing calling people hurling out-of-the-blue insults as "a matter of opinion".
Since it seems you have trouble reading more than one sentence in a post, I'll try to make this a nice run-on sentence for you.
Not all Halo bashers are the same so quit trying to enforce a stereotype and also you provoked him into insulting Halo like that when his only insult prior was against 360 fanboys in general so technically you were trolling with your defensive comments so I suggest you face your problems instead of hiding behind a shield of ignorance heck it's a waste of time to explain anything to you right now since you probably haven't read this far anyway so byebye.

Mar 26, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
cobrausn said:

I have a right to criticize hype, and the motivations behind it, so if you don't like my opinion, then too bad.
I find the Halo series to be highly uninspired and hyped beyond reason. This constant parading of "how great it is" annoys me; especially when the entire internet won't shut the fuck up about it.

On Topic: What's the point of Micro$oft making this statement other than bragging, which is a form of trolling in its own right?
So you've played Halo: Reach in order to form your opinion yeah?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Atmos Duality said:
cobrausn said:

Is this a trick question? No shit I played it. And you know what? IT FELT EXACTLY LIKE THE LAST TWO HALO GAMES I PLAYED (I didn't bother with 3).
I certainly didn't buy it though; that's what friends are for.

Mar 26, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Atmos Duality said:
cobrausn said:

Is this a trick question? No shit I played it. And you know what? IT FELT EXACTLY LIKE THE LAST TWO HALO GAMES I PLAYED (I didn't bother with 3).
I certainly didn't buy it though; that's what friends are for.
Fair enough. You've got to ask that question of people around here though.
I love the first Halo, but was disappointed in 2 and 3, as they didn't capture the magic of the original. Reach rectified this for me.

Irishhoodlum

Jun 21, 2009
I played Combat Evolved when it came out, and loved it. I liked Halo 2 when it came out. But honestly the last 3 installments of the game are the same thing with minor adjustments, being sold at full face value. Feels like Microsoft has been beating the same horse for a while now. I don't really care though I guess if that's how you want to spend your money..

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
cobrausn said:

No it didn't. Your post had no substance; it was pure trolling. If you had said half of what you had to say in this retort I wouldn't have jumped on it.

And 'Micro$oft' simply stating how many copies they sold isn't 'hype', it's 'fact'. Theres a difference. You may not like it, but a whole boatload of others do. And I can guarantee you if my company ever sold millions of copies of a game, I'd brag about it.

I've only ever played the single player of Halo (1, 2, 3, and ODST) and I find it to be a bit repetitive but entertaining nonetheless. And since the point of making games is to let people have fun... isn't it good enough that people are enjoying it? I don't understand this constant need to drag down games you don't like. Welcome to the internet I guess.

Mausenheimmer

Feb 11, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
BloodSquirrel said:
Assassin Xaero said:
And it was in competition against...? Gears of War? I'm sorry but I can't really think of many other big name 360 exclusives.
Gears of War sold more than any PS3 exclusive. So... yeah.
Yeah, and SC2 beat it in about a day, so go troll somewhere else 360 fanboy.
No, it didn't. Starcraft 2 sold 1.5 million in 48 hours (cite: http://www.gamepro.com/articale/news/216011/starcraft-2s-early-sales-figures-1-million-on-day-one-1-5-million-in-48-hours/) and Gears of War 2 had sold 5 million copies as of last July.

Tell me, is it difficult being such a raging PC fanboy or do you find ignoring the numbers to be quite fun?

Mausenheimmer

Feb 11, 2008
shMerker said:
Zerbye said:
Just some simple math...

$200 million in sales.
$60 per game.

$200 million/$60 = 3.3 million total sales on Day 1. Impressive, at least.
That's not exactly the case, since there's the limited edition for $80 and the legendary edition for $150. So what you actually have is a number of sales somewhere between 3.3 million and 1.3 million.
True, but I think it's probably closer to the 3.3 million than the 1.3 million, don't you?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
cobrausn said:
No it didn't. Your post had no substance; it was pure trolling.
So it's OK to have an opinion...as long as it agrees with yours, right?
If it isn't, it's "pure trolling".

You love to throw the term "troll" around when it's all you've done to me so far, unless your posts weren't done solely to antagonize me.
Yes. That's trolling, and it's the sole reason you posted this response.

And 'Micro$oft' simply stating how many copies they sold isn't 'hype', it's 'fact'. Theres a difference. You may not like it, but a whole boatload of others do. And I can guarantee you if my company ever sold millions of copies of a game, I'd brag about it.
Hype is hype. You can use facts to build hype, it's true. Does this magically not make it hype?
NO. IT DOES NOT.

For that matter, bragging is still bragging, and it's still annoying no matter how you try to rationalize it. Never mind that I haven't been able to locate a single sales figure that can prove Micro$oft's claim yet. That is, unless another title of theirs hasn't ever made more than $200 Million in its lifetime (several titles have, so this isn't their best-seller yet).

Based on Gamespot's numbers (the best I could find). Halo 3 moved at least 8.1 million units. Estimating the cost at 60 dollars retail (possibly more given how many collector's editions were sold), that means the number to beat is around $460 Million (how fitting. Halo 3).
I have no doubt Reach will top that amount eventually, possibly before the end of this month. But at the time of this announcement? No, I'm not buying that. Not even for a minute.

So really, what was the point of this announcement? To try to move more product by employing peer-pressure. "We're so successful! Everyone has this game, so why don't you?"
Oldest trick in the book. The "greatest hits" versions of games were marketed on the same principle.

Fair enough. You've got to ask that question of people around here though.
I love the first Halo, but was disappointed in 2 and 3, as they didn't capture the magic of the original. Reach rectified this for me.
I was really hoping the armor abilities would give Halo a more tactical feel to it, but the only ones I saw during my multiplayer review were Decoy, Flight, and the Bubble Shield.
Granted, I did not try all of the play modes out.

Most fights turned into the same boring shoot-n'-swat as every single other entry in the series. Some people love that. Not my style though.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Mausenheimmer said:
shMerker said:
Zerbye said:
Just some simple math...

$200 million in sales.
$60 per game.

That's not exactly the case, since there's the limited edition for $80 and the legendary edition for $150. So what you actually have is a number of sales somewhere between 3.3 million and 1.3 million.
True, but I think it's probably closer to the 3.3 million than the 1.3 million, don't you?
Yeah, the regular edition sales surely dwarf the limited/legendary sales, my point was that if it was the most copies sold of any Halo, they would have probably said that instead. As it stands less than 3.3 million puts them behind Halo 2 and 3 for opening week sales and possibly even behind ODST, which sold 2.2 million in it's first week and then went on to sell less than any other game in the series.

And all that aside, I figured it was just good to add some clarification as far as what that number actually tells us, especially since they are calling this game "best selling exclusive in history" when Halo 3 sold at least half a million more copies in it's first week. Time will tell if it hits the same level of sales over its lifetime. I'm guessing it won't.

Mausenheimmer

Feb 11, 2008
shMerker said:
Mausenheimmer said:
shMerker said:
Zerbye said:
Just some simple math...

$200 million in sales.
$60 per game.

Yeah, the regular edition sales surely dwarf the limited/legendary sales, my point was that if it was the most copies sold of any Halo, they would have probably said that instead. As it stands less than 3.3 million puts them behind Halo 2 and 3 for opening week sales and possibly even behind ODST, which sold 2.2 million in it's first week and then went on to sell less than any other game in the series.

And all that aside, I figured it was just good to add some clarification as far as what that number actually tells us, especially since they are calling this game "best selling exclusive in history" when Halo 3 sold at least half a million more copies in it's first week. Time will tell if it hits the same level of sales over its lifetime. I'm guessing it won't.
Halo 3 also had the ridiculously overpriced Legendary Edition and more reasonably overpriced Collector's Edition. Also, the number of $200 million comes the Day One sales, not the Week One sales. So it's not really fair to compare a week of Halo 2 or 3 to a day of Reach.

If the past is any indicator, Reach will outsell 3, just as 3 outsold 2 and 2 outsold Combat Evolved. Also, VGChartz seems to believe this as well (http://www.vgchartz.com/article/82014/halo-reach-sells-over-3-million-units-in-the-first-24-hours/). This also seems to confirm that they meant "fastest selling" rather than best selling. It's semantics really. Should be interesting to see what the NPD has to say.

P.S. I know VGChartz isn't 100% accurate, but it's the best that's available.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
either way, I don't think think I'll need to buy another game again for a while haha

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Mausenheimmer said:
shMerker said:
Mausenheimmer said:
shMerker said:
Zerbye said:
Just some simple math...

$200 million in sales.
$60 per game.

Halo 3 also had the ridiculously overpriced Legendary Edition and more reasonably overpriced Collector's Edition. Also, the number of $200 million comes the Day One sales, not the Week One sales. So it's not really fair to compare a week of Halo 2 or 3 to a day of Reach.

If the past is any indicator, Reach will outsell 3, just as 3 outsold 2 and 2 outsold Combat Evolved. Also, VGChartz seems to believe this as well (http://www.vgchartz.com/article/82014/halo-reach-sells-over-3-million-units-in-the-first-24-hours/). This also seems to confirm that they meant "fastest selling" rather than best selling. It's semantics really. Should be interesting to see what the NPD has to say.

P.S. I know VGChartz isn't 100% accurate, but it's the best that's available.
I was going by VGChartz too, and I had missed that is was first day and not first week. Halo 3 Legendary and Collectors editions really have nothing to do with what I'm saying, since we know how many copies of Halo 3 were sold.

Yeah, that does appear to make it the fastest selling so far. We'll see how that keeps up. I think your historical argument is not accounting for how Halo 2 added online multiplayer and 3 was the first Halo on 360. Also you're just sort of skipping over ODST, which sold less than any Halo before it. While I'm aware of the whole "actually an expansion" thing, I wouldn't be surprised if it had hurt Bungie's and Halo's reputation in the long run. Basically I think there are factors here working against Reach selling as well as Halo 3 over it's lifetime.