Microsoft Not Jumping on the HD Remake Bandwagon

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
I'd only dig this news if the game is multi-platform.
Heck even the HD remake of Zone of enders is multiplatform.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
MetalDooley said:
Reprinting classic novels is easy though.They just print the original text and perhaps give it a fancy new cover.Similarly releasing music digitally isn't that difficult as all they need to do is maybe clean up the sound.Remakes of games do take a lot of time,effort and resources however and that's what people are objecting to because that time,effort and resources could be better spent creating new games

I have no problem with re-releasing classic games but why not just re-release them in their original state such as on Wii's VC service.If the game was good enough back in the day then it should be good enough now without the need for a fancy HD makeover.I still regularly play NES,SNES,MegaDrive and N64 games and they're just as enjoyable now as they were originally

The gaming world is unique in that like books,movies and music we expect our classics to be re-released but we also expect,nay demand,that these classics be completely overhauled first.Why is this?How come you don't hear film buffs demanding that,say,Citizen Kane be remade with fancy CGI effects or literature fans demanding that the works of Jane Austen be updated into modern english?
That's a very good point. Another fair comparison would be what George Lucas has been doing to the Star Wars films...

I should rephrase. Bring on every rerelease and port you want, but bring remakes on only if the original option remains available. I can't lie, I loved Twin Snakes over the original. Infinitely easier to control while retaining the challenge, much easier on the eyes...in every single last way. Sorry, but Mei Ling's accent isn't a huge deal to me.

If say, MGS: Twin Snakes were the only version of MGS available in the market because Kojima is trying to phase out his original work in favor of the new, THAT would suck...but if you have a PS3 with Emotion Engine, or Playstation Store, you can get the original as it was and comfortably ignore the remake.

The upcoming Halo Anniversary, from what I gather, has the entire original game as an option within its disc as well, AND Xbox 360s are backwards compatible with the original, AND you can buy it digitally from Xbox Live too. So I'm not really seeing the problem with having it all ways so that all players can enjoy in their own way.

DeadlyYellow said:
Except there is no struggle there. PCs easily take the role of any obsolete console, plus the older games are often ported to newer gaming platforms. Gaming is not technologically exclusive.

As for remakes, the entire thing feels more exploitative than progressive. They're not remaking the game to introduce it to a new younger generation, they are doing so to further milk cash from their existing player base. I've never seen literature fans express such idiotic zeal over reprints of books, but perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.
Too right you are about PCs taking on that role, which is why I'm never against emulation. I think the biggest issue with that is when it comes to more and more modern "obsolete" consoles. There's people out there that simply don't upgrade until it's absolutely necessary because all their PCs are for is internet, storing of files and documents, and work. And to do that, you're at the barest of minimums regarding requirements. I don't often think of upgrading my PC since I only have a netbook, so I can only comfortably emulate up to the 16 bit era.

I hate the "milking" argument. Yeah, It's milking but so's every new game that milks what's currently popular. Journey and Limbo milk their artstyles because it's a cost effective way to make something halfway pretty in a popular style. I guarantee it's not 100% because ARTISTIC VISION.

What's wrong with making and saving money using what's already popular so you can stay afloat? Devs need money for those new games people want to see so badly, so I think anything short of outright theft of someone else's money is fair game.

I should add also, that we're in no way in a place where there are more remakes and ports than there are either original games or sequels. I mean, show of hands, how many people knew a game called Sniper: Ghost Warrior came out recently? And if you don't get the Atlus Faithful newsletter, chances are you missed out on info for My World, My Way, and Master of the Monster Lair, and Class of Heroes...etc.

Like with everything, we don't see what isn't marketed directly in front of our faces and, again like with everything else, there's no telling what the quality of the games will be. People are out there making original things...but your mileage will definitely vary, and that simply has nothing to do with how many remakes and ports there are out there.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
People, if you really want HD remakes of games, don't fret.

What somebody says and what their intent is often is not the same.

For example, Warner Brothers saying that their will be a Green Lantern sequel...

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
oh also Silent Hill (2 and 3) are getting HD remakes

Donnyp said:
Once someone says MONEY! they will jump on that bandwagon.
lol yeah I was gonna say, "but Microsoft, isn't it good business??"

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
voorhees123 said:
Who would buy this? I would have thought people had played Halo 1 to death many times by now. Especially not worth buying just for HD version. Unless they add extra stuff to it? What you think, maybe demo or trailers of new Halo games?
I think they said it has some extra maps for Reach and firefight, but I could be wrong.

Oct 2, 2010
viranimus said:
HOWEVER! its not a waste, because well, with this incarnation your getting an opportunity to play the original halo multiplayer with proper modern matchmaking systems already in place. On that point I can agree that this is not all together a bad idea.
Actually, you're not. Halo: Anniversary's multiplayer is effectively a 7-map DLC pack for Reach.

343i has announced that they're working on a title update which will hopefully help make the classic playlist suck less than the current one, though they haven't discussed much specifics of it.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Tupolev said:
viranimus said:
HOWEVER! its not a waste, because well, with this incarnation your getting an opportunity to play the original halo multiplayer with proper modern matchmaking systems already in place. On that point I can agree that this is not all together a bad idea.
Actually, you're not. Halo: Anniversary's multiplayer is effectively a 7-map DLC pack for Reach.

343i has announced that they're working on a title update which will hopefully help make the classic playlist suck less than the current one, though they haven't discussed much specifics of it.
Ahh, my mistake considering that my knowledge of this comes from the E3 article
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110932-E3-Halo-Anniversary

which portrays it as it even running the same original scripting with the Reach engine running as an overlay.

Even still, a 7 map pack for what will be in essence a stand alone game for multiplayer that will recapture the multiplayer of the original game doesnt seem like a terrible idea to me.

chocolatekake

Dec 22, 2010
Artemis923 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Konami, for example, is bringing the Metal Gear Solid collection and the Zone of the Enders collection to the console.
This is FAR more mouth watering than any Halo remake could ever be.
Except the stupid part is the only games that are being redone for the MGS series are MGS2, MGS3 and Peace Walker. They're skipping over the first, just like they're doing with Silent Hill. What's the point of re-releasing games in HD when they came out for the previous generation of consoles. Especially when you're skipping over the most important entry. Most important because it's the one that started the franchise, and the oldest one that "needs" the HD graphics the most.

On another note, I want to buy HD remakes of classic games just as much as the next guy. It's a good way to support my favorite developers and of course, the marketing works on me. But as it's been said, it's kind of a waste of developers' time and effort that could be going into making new experiences. Some games I can understand being refined for the current generation. But it seems like everyone is jumping aboard and making HD remakes of "classic" games that really aren't necessarily classic or even all that good.

It's like the 3D boom we're seeing that everyone is just as upset with. Just as 3D for the sake of 3D is stupid and stunts the growth of an industry, HD for the sake of HD is just as pointless.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
So we won't be seeing HD versions.

We'll just get 10th Anniversary Editions of all of Microsoft's old titles.

Because that's a totally different thing of course.

Oct 2, 2010
viranimus said:
Ahh, my mistake considering that my knowledge of this comes from the E3 article
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110932-E3-Halo-Anniversary

which portrays it as it even running the same original scripting with the Reach engine running as an overlay.
Yeah, 343i's own E3 teaser was highly misleading as well. A large amount of people even within the Halo community are still figuring it out.

Even still, a 7 map pack for what will be in essence a stand alone game for multiplayer that will recapture the multiplayer of the original game doesnt seem like a terrible idea to me.
Yeah, but getting it to recapture the original multiplayer is a tricky thing. People have tried to create the classic experience by remaking the maps themselves in forge, sometimes to quite impressive results, but Reach's weapon set really doesn't allow for close gameplay similarity.

343i is working on a title update which is supposedly going to give some options for getting classicish gameplay; hopefully it plus the maps offers some kind of sandbox manipulation as well, because if it doesn't, we're probably stuck with the same kind of crap you get in the classic playlist that Reach already has.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Yeah...once this game makes a buttload of cash we'll see how long this "No more Remakes" phase sticks around. They already revived the Halo Trilogy for another set of games, so I guarantee there will be more to come

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
diggy140892 said:
HD Remake of Perfect Dark was an Xbox exclusive.
Point. However, Xbox did not have the original Perfect Dark, so it was less of a straight up remake than it was an update to another console (like Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes for GC).

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Escapist article 2021: "Makers of the Halo HD Remake: 5D Remake say they are not jumping on the 5D Remake bandwagon."

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
Sadly? That's fucking good. It's bad enough we call certain games over-glorified expansion packs and whine about sequels, buying the same game with a new graphics engine is pretty damn hypocritical. They could re-release it at a bargin price, but charging almost as much as a AAA game for a graphics update is bullshit.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I seemed to have miss a hell of a lot of games from last generation, so the HD remakes on my PS3 are actually well worth the money for me. Even moreso if they made them for the 360 since I didn't actually have an Xbox.

Of course, that's just me. In general, I'd rather time be spent on a new game than a remake. Unless it's remaking a platformer. There seriously aren't enough of those.

FlyAwayAutumn

Rating: Negative Awesome
May 19, 2009
Dexiro said:
FlyAwayAutumn said:
Good.

While I like the idea of my favorite games getting better graphics. Giving me the chance to buy them and relive the glory days. It's still a waste of time and money. For example, I have Halo and can go back and play it whenever the hell I want. So why would I need an updated version? That won't stop me from buying this HD remake of Halo. But it also doesn't mean it isn't a waste of time.
It's not a waste of time if people would buy it, whether it's a waste of time or not isn't based off your purchase alone.

Halo I couldn't see working in HD but that's just my opinion, their are other games that would though I'm sure. I'm more of a playstation guy so I don't know the Xbox library that well, but the remake thing for the PS3 is working out awesomely ~
I mean it's a waste of time because it's a game that already exists. They are using time and money that could be used to make other games and they decide to bring us fucking halo just with better graphics. It's bullshit.

Srs bzns

Feb 4, 2011
TitanAtlas said:
L34dP1LL said:
TitanAtlas said:
Yeah the only HD they did, they ended ruining the game... Conker bad fur day... and in theyre ignorence after ruining the game they decided to cancel the long-awaited sequel....

Microsoft and EA and on the top of my list of: Most retard, greedy, "gaming" company in the world...
What about nintendo and their complete lack of new IP's?
Nintendo at least delivers good games, because tey wait to perfect the product... they do not rush everything to make "big bucks" has EA or Microsoft...

Nintendo prefers quality over quantity, and theyre right... so no... im sorry nintendo is not on my list of corrupt, retard, greedy "gaming" company...
Even though this new, 'innovative' design of slapping a screen on a controller isn't even theirs?

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
FlyAwayAutumn said:
Dexiro said:
FlyAwayAutumn said:
Good.

While I like the idea of my favorite games getting better graphics. Giving me the chance to buy them and relive the glory days. It's still a waste of time and money. For example, I have Halo and can go back and play it whenever the hell I want. So why would I need an updated version? That won't stop me from buying this HD remake of Halo. But it also doesn't mean it isn't a waste of time.
It's not a waste of time if people would buy it, whether it's a waste of time or not isn't based off your purchase alone.

Halo I couldn't see working in HD but that's just my opinion, their are other games that would though I'm sure. I'm more of a playstation guy so I don't know the Xbox library that well, but the remake thing for the PS3 is working out awesomely ~
I mean it's a waste of time because it's a game that already exists. They are using time and money that could be used to make other games and they decide to bring us fucking halo just with better graphics. It's bullshit.
The HD ports aren't usually handled by the original developers, though the original developers might have a say on the quality control.

The only HD collections I can think of are Sly Raccoon, God of War and Ico/Shadow of the Collosus, none of those are/were being handled by the original developers.