Microsoft Not Jumping on the HD Remake Bandwagon

chocolatekake

Dec 22, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
chocolatekake said:
Artemis923 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Konami, for example, is bringing the Metal Gear Solid collection and the Zone of the Enders collection to the console.
This is FAR more mouth watering than any Halo remake could ever be.
Except the stupid part is the only games that are being redone for the MGS series are MGS2, MGS3 and Peace Walker. They're skipping over the first, just like they're doing with Silent Hill. What's the point of re-releasing games in HD when they came out for the previous generation of consoles. Especially when you're skipping over the most important entry. Most important because it's the one that started the franchise, and the oldest one that "needs" the HD graphics the most.
Several reasons. Ps1 era gaphics can't be upscaled easily. Metal Gear Solid 1 is already available on the PsN Store. Metal Gear Solis isn't the start of the series, Metal Gear is. You couldn't fit the four games onto a Blu-Ray.
Fair enough. But I don't think that HD remakes should simply be upscaling. It should be a process to actually improve the game. Maybe include things that weren't possible. And yes, some games may already be on the PSN, but why not just put all of them on the PSN, save time and probably make the same amount of money.

Also, I do know that Metal Gear was the first, but the Solid franchise was more what I was talking about.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I've found it kind of funny so far that a number of the HD remakes (Splinter Cell, PoP) could be bought for cheaper on the PC, where they're already in HD.

Lucky Chainsaw

Jan 8, 2009
I'm actually really excited to see more and more games get HD remasters. I dream of a day in which the entire history of games is available officially from the publishers in some form of another. It's best that they be made HD/Widescreen friendly while they're at it.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
343 Industries' Frank O'Connor says that the gussied up re-release of Halo: Combat Evolved isn't the start of a series of HD remakes from Microsoft. Instead, it's being created specifically to celebrate the game's tenth anniversary.

They forgot to add "unless it makes a ton of money, in which case, we will make our mothers HD and sell them"

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
For everyone bashing remakes for being money grabbers, keep in mind that this Halo remake is only going to cost $40, I believe. Yes, money is a part of it, but for a truly classic game to have new, beautiful-looking graphics, I can't say there's much to complain about at that price tag.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
I give them the time it takes for the remake to sell 1 million copies until they announce every game from the xbox will be remade in HD

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Veldie said:
Well that sucks id really like a HD rerelease of ... Crimson Skies
Oh man, I would love that too. Especially since the old one literally tears up on modern cards. It's not just asthetic, it's SAVING THE GAME!

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
OH FUCK YES! I am so pumped, HD REMAKE OF Metal gear Solid and Zone of enders =3 Thank you Kojima.

FlyAwayAutumn

Rating: Negative Awesome
May 19, 2009
Dexiro said:
FlyAwayAutumn said:
I mean it's a waste of time because it's a game that already exists. They are using time and money that could be used to make other games and they decide to bring us fucking halo just with better graphics. It's bullshit.
The HD ports aren't usually handled by the original developers, though the original developers might have a say on the quality control.

The only HD collections I can think of are Sly Raccoon, God of War and Ico/Shadow of the Collosus, none of those are/were being handled by the original developers.
I know that I also know that this Halo HD remake isn't being made by Bungie. That doesn't matter. It's still a waste of resources.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Ok editors lets pick a side and stick too it. Either you want new fresh innovative games or you want a shiny new paint job on the same old games. Calling the fact that they have no plans of not remaking every popular game to come out in the last gen "sad" spits in the face of most articles and videos you write about/make.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Because I couldn't tell them apart to begin with...? "What's different between these 2 videos." Ummmmmm.. the armor is slightly more shiny? *shrug*

Why do people want a graphical remake on something that plays no different than their sequels anyway?

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
To be completely honest HD remakes suck.

Instead of doing that half-assed approach they should actually give the games total graphical overhauls and perhaps have the developers add things[footnote]Like new areas or similar, big nono to anything major like a health system changed from health kits to regenrating health or anything like that[/footnote] that at the time they really wished they had done but didn't have the time/budget to do so. Then we'll talk.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Logan Westbrook said:
Hopefully, more developers will follow suit, as there are plenty of classic games from the last generation that would look great with updated graphics.
NO NO NO NO. Hopefully less remakes and more original games come out. why fix whats not broken. the games are fine. graphic updates are useless. if you want to make a game make a sequl that has better gameplay above all things. better yet create something original. oh right, most developers forgot what original means.

I don't get this anti-remake/rerelease attitude gamers have. Would you say there's no need to reprint classic novels, too? How about digitally releasing music that was once only available on vinyl from the olden days and sounded like ten asses being scratched by eleven hands? Why do we need to struggle to experience our fondest memories?
You dont get it because you dont get what remake is, apparently.
Reprinting novel - fine. rewriting novel to suit more eye candy or in this case imagination candy audience - bad. rereleasing songs - fine. resinging them - bad.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Ickorus said:
To be completely honest HD remakes suck.

Instead of doing that half-assed approach they should actually give the games total graphical overhauls and perhaps have the developers add things[footnote]Like new areas or similar, big nono to anything major like a health system changed from health kits to regenrating health or anything like that[/footnote] that at the time they really wished they had done but didn't have the time/budget to do so. Then we'll talk.
It would be nice to see new areas and such, but since it's not the original developers that handle the HD ports it might cause some problems - not that they couldn't give it a shot :p

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Srs bzns said:
TitanAtlas said:
L34dP1LL said:
TitanAtlas said:
Yeah the only HD they did, they ended ruining the game... Conker bad fur day... and in theyre ignorence after ruining the game they decided to cancel the long-awaited sequel....

Microsoft and EA and on the top of my list of: Most retard, greedy, "gaming" company in the world...
What about nintendo and their complete lack of new IP's?
Nintendo at least delivers good games, because tey wait to perfect the product... they do not rush everything to make "big bucks" has EA or Microsoft...

Nintendo prefers quality over quantity, and theyre right... so no... im sorry nintendo is not on my list of corrupt, retard, greedy "gaming" company...
Even though this new, 'innovative' design of slapping a screen on a controller isn't even theirs?
Yes because all the other consoles haven't doned the same *cof cof* kinect *cof cof* move *cof cof*

Dayum i have a really nasty cough...

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
The amount of money wasted (I can't even call it wasted because they're clearly going to recoup their losses) on HD remakes when these studios could be giving us a sequel or spin-off to that re-made game...

I mean can you really get that lazy? I've given up on asking for something original, I get it, it's a gamble, but give us something interested based on your best sellers rather than release the same game I've got in my cupboard.

Woodsey said:
I've found it kind of funny so far that a number of the HD remakes (Splinter Cell, PoP) could be bought for cheaper on the PC, where they're already in HD.
Boom. Welcome to 2001.