Microsoft Prohibits Gamers From Cashing in on YouTube

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ruley said:
IronMit said:
Last year was it, they were trying to force developers/publishers not to release any exclusive on the PS3 by threat of denying them an xbox release. wonder if that happened.
Have you got this worded right? Xbox would deny developers an Xbox release if they chose to go PS3 exclusive... isn't that a loophole for how the system already works? Ps3 exclusive means never coming to xbox anyway?
I think what hes referring to is the timed exclusives policy, basically that any content that goes on XBL has to either come online before or at the same time as the PSN version and with equivalent content.

The way its worded? Trying ward off thier install base getting shafted by developers who prefer the PS3.

The way it is? Making life hard for developers/publishers to develop/publish content for both PSN and XBL.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Do video reviews fall under this?

It'd be kind of sad to see user reviews be restricted to text only again.
I don't think people understand. I can go on to youtube and post my Halo 4 gameplay as long as I don't make money off of it. Posting videos on youtube doesn't make you suddenly make money.

All of the major channels, Yogscast, Totalbiscut, Machinima, etc... All have deals to avoid this. Since normally you can't make money off of gameplay. If you join the Youtube partners with gameplay vids, they will be removed.

Mikeyfell said:
So Halo 4 has a machinima theater mode, and a user agreement that says you can't profit off Halo videos?
I smell a false advertising lawsuit!
What? That's not false advertisement.

If it said:

"Halo 4 Theater mode! You can make money off of it!" Then it would be.

But considering it doesn't say you can make money off of it, doesn't mean it's false advertisement. Posting Machinima or gameplay is fine, as long as you don't make money off of it. I have some videos of gameplay on youtube and since I don't make money off of it, I won't be effected.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
dragongit said:
You know Microsoft, I was going to wait until there were funny montoge videos of Halo 4 and machinima, before I made my decision of weither or not to buy it. Guess that won't be the case anymore. Herpa derp.

Seriously, Bill Gates can drop a 200 dollar bill, and it literally wouldn't be worth his time to pick it up. If you want people to buy your games, make them good.
Bill Gates has almost NOTHING to do with the day-to-day running of Microsoft anymore. He's a figurehead more than anything. If he HAD a title, it would probably be Chairman Emeritus like Stan Lee was for Marvel for about the past 20 years.

But, just for s***s and giggles, some bored and odd (Is there any other kind???) Mathematician crunched the numbers some time back. Given market fluctuations, Bill Gates earns/makes about $5,000, give or take, in the time is takes himself or an average male to take a piss. He could spend money for every second of every day for the rest of his life, and never run out.

(Source: http://toobbox.com/blog/how-much-does-it-cost-bill-gates-to-take-a-piss/ )

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Korten12 said:
Mikeyfell said:
So Halo 4 has a machinima theater mode, and a user agreement that says you can't profit off Halo videos?

If it said:

But considering it doesn't say you can make money off of it, doesn't mean it's false advertisement. Posting Machinima or gameplay is fine, as long as you don't make money off of it. I have some videos of gameplay on youtube and since I don't make money off of it, I won't be effected.
It's the same principle of selling you a camera and in the fine print saying "By the way, you can't sell anything you make with this."

You have to assume the point of creating something for public consumption is to make money.
Considering that Halo is (probably) (easily) the biggest game in the Machinima world this user license seems just flat wrong. It probably won't last very long.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Mikeyfell said:
Korten12 said:
Mikeyfell said:

If it said:

It's the same principle of selling you a camera and in the fine print saying "By the way, you can't sell anything you make with this."

You have to assume the point of creating something for public consumption is to make money.
Considering that Halo is (probably) (easily) the biggest game in the Machinima world this user license seems just flat wrong. It probably won't last very long.
No, your just wrong. It's a game, not a camera. Recording something with a camera in real life is not the same as recording ingame to which you're in Microsofts field then.

Machinima doesn't cost money, nor do you have to make money from it. Like I said I CAN STILL POST MACHINIMA's just not make money off of it. Youtube doesn't allow you to join the Youtube Partners (to which you get paid) if you have footage from games on your channel. Machinima and big channels like that all have deals with Microsoft and such and or don't make any money at all.

So no it's not the same principle.

_alter_ego

Jun 26, 2010
They are alienating their most dedicated users! Posting game footage on youtube increases the exposure of their games, essentially providing free advertising. Posting game content on youtube also helps foster a community, which intern increases the shelf life of a game. And they wish to end all of this?

'The more you tighten your grip, Microsoft, the more your power will slip through your fingers.'

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I don't understand why Microsoft is doing this.

A large portion of the success of Call of Duty can be attributed to people making tons of youtube videos about the games, and the fact you can make money off the game is pushing people to buy the games even more.

Videos on youtube are FREE ADVERTISING. Most companies would sell their grandmothers soul if they could get a reliable source for that! Why shoot your own foot in your ability to compete with Call of Duty, who still allows you to make money off their games.

You are being less consumer friendly than Activision, why would you do that?

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Korten12 said:
No, your just wrong. It's a game, not a camera. Recording something with a camera in real life is not the same as recording ingame to which you're in Microsofts field then.

Machinima doesn't cost money, nor do you have to make money from it. Like I said I CAN STILL POST MACHINIMA's just not make money off of it. Youtube doesn't allow you to join the Youtube Partners (to which you get paid) if you have footage from games on your channel. Machinima and big channels like that all have deals with Microsoft and such and or don't make any money at all.

you aren't listening...reading...what ever.
The automatic assumption you're expected to make when someone makes something for public consumption is that they're trying to make money off it.

A video on youtube is something for public consumption.
When Halo 4 comes out and has a machinima mode and the license agreement says the user can't make profit that is a clear cut case of the advertising conflicting with the terms of use.

Contracts and posting that doesn't apply are different matters entirely

A piece of Machinima is just a movie shot in an existing engine instead of with a camera or rendering an engine your self, so it is the same principle
It's perfectly reasonable for Microsoft to discourage people from making money off their product, but when features in their product encourage people to make something with the means to make profit at the same time that IS false advertising.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Altorin said:
They're basically assaulting fair use, and once fair use goes out the window, fuck the internet, we may as well just bang rocks together.
News Flash: "Red vs Blue" replaced by new series "Rock vs Bigger Rock". More at 11.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
EULA's are basically the smoking gun of contracts. It's a gun pressed to your head that if you don't accept the terms your entire library can be held hostage. 1000's of dollars worth of games suddenly locked down behind bars unless you accept it.

It's nothing but extortion and not a single self respecting judge would ever uphold such a EULA wherein the agreement basically reads "Sign this or else".

So enjoy many more Halo Machinima series.

Tiger Sora said:
So a few dozen youtubers have lost their revenue streams. Now they have to get real jobs like regular people.
So because your jealous it's not a real job.

What making videos to view for peoples entertainment is Not a job? Isn't that what basically all visual media is? Making something to be viewed for enjoyment?

Guess actors, Tv-producers, videogame developers, etc. should also get Real Jobs. After all entertainment (in the broadest sense of the word) apparently isn't a real job when you put an advertisement in front of it.

Korten12 said:

It's not like there are DOZENS of youtube partners that stream or post recorded footage of games. No those don't exist.

You haven't been on youtube in a LONG time have you? Want me to point you to one of the MANY channels that show game footage whilst being a youtube partner?

I honestly think a large part of youtube revenue is Game reviewing and Lets Playing of games by their partners.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
dragongit said:
You know Microsoft, I was going to wait until there were funny montoge videos of Halo 4 and machinima, before I made my decision of weither or not to buy it. Guess that won't be the case anymore. Herpa derp.

Seriously, Bill Gates can drop a 200 dollar bill, and it literally wouldn't be worth his time to pick it up. If you want people to buy your games, make them good.
Gates doesn't really have much to do with it anymore.

OT: Well, that's pathetic.

Kal-Adam

May 7, 2010
saintdane05 said:
So, will this effect Red vs. Blue? It better not...
Rooster Teeth has pre-established agreements with Microsoft as well as Bungie and 343 studios. It shouldn't affect them.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
This whole situation stinks of "If we can't then nobody can waahhh!" petty spite.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Why?

There's nothing else to ask. Why?

What does Microsoft get from this arrangement?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Why?

There's nothing else to ask. Why?

What does Microsoft get from this arrangement?
They don't actually get anything out of it, unless they're planning on attempting to compete with Google.

I hope the EU can hold together long enough to be able to smite MS for this backwards thinking illegal document. For some reason, the US thinks it's fine to force a user into a contract for a product they can't return when they can't read the contract without first purchasing the product.

Mar 5, 2011
What in the actual fuck? If it wasn't for people making videos from Halo montages and videos I doubt that there would be a second Halo trilogy in the first place. This reminds me of the Notch vs The Yogscast debacle a while ago.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Well, that's what you get for playing Halo instead of a REAL game.
[sub]I jest, I jest[/sub]
This is a pretty shitty move on their side, not only will it affect the revenues of some small and large channels, but if they implement it the same way music videos are on Youtube, there will ALWAYS be ads on the videos in question, but the people making and uploading the videos will get precisely $0.00 per view.