Microsoft Warns: Don't Stand Your Xbox One Vertical

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
This really isn't as bad as it sounds, but from reading the comments it's not something the people want. They, MS, have designed the Xbox One to sit horizontally. It's not a flaw, they made it that way. Blu-ray, stereos, dvd players, they all have to do that same. Sure the 360 gave you the choice, but now there is no such option. The original Xbox didn't sit vertical either. If lacking the feature is a deal breaker, I can't see how the other things they did or didn't do hadn't bothered you more.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
MinionJoe said:
They really did throw out the baby with the bathwater when they designed this thing, didn't they?
Everything about it screams bad design. Not trustworthy at all. And then you have to remember the 30% failure rate of Xbox 360 back in the day. That was unacceptable. I sure as hell wouldn't risk buying a new Microsoft console on launch for that reason alone.

This could be a significant limitation. For example, I would have to keep it on the floor. Which would make it run hotter. I literally don't have enough space for this thing anywhere else.
30%? I thought the failure rate of the first generation Xbox 360's was closer to 70%. Only statistic I can find was a Gamespot poll that used a pool of 5,000 subscribers. The result was a 54.2% failure rate. Hell the first 360 I bought died in 6 months, I actually ended up going through some 4 other systems after that too. None of them lasted longer than a year, truly shameful really. I was a fool to keep buying them but I did. I have a generation 1 PS3 I got second hand and it STILL WORKS FINE.

OT: Good God, it looks like a top loading VCR and you are required to treat it as much now? How long until we get reports of this thing burning up due to ventilation problems I wonder...

Captcha: more better... not in this case.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Way xbone one has been handled sofar just seems to me ms decided they could toss anything out and the xbox 360 people would eat it up, hard not to blame them when so many trolls act like the 360 was some sort of god that could do no wrong.

Guess they found out wrong.

Bottom line at best it is a design flaw, at worst its just cheap parts in a cheap system that will have a bare minimum 30% fail rate every few months, phone microsoft to send them naked pics of you, and report you to the feds for smoking a doobie.

At lest this gen will be somewhat interesting with MS, that lets face it had a lock after last gen over its main rival sony, out of the gate shooting itself in the foot over and over, now lets see if sony can short ship another playstation launch and shoot itself in the foot.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Vie said:
WickedFire said:
Is it me, or does just scream shoddy, cheap, parts? Considering the Wii, and PS3 (the first and second iterations at any rate) had slot loading drives and could be stood vertical, how poor a drive do you need so that this is problem?
Exactly the thought I had, makes you wonder just how deep MS's accountants claws dug into the development of the XBone.

I mean the freaking Wii has a multi-orientation drive, how cheap are these fools?
Very cheap. Remember, the original idea was to use the drive just for installation purposes. After that you wouldn't need the disk. So they used the cheapest drives they could find. But when the time came to reverse the mandatory HDD installs, they didn't bother to change the quality of the drive. Even without putting it vertically, the drive is still a cheap one and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the first thing to go.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Arawn said:
This really isn't as bad as it sounds, but from reading the comments it's not something the people want. They, MS, have designed the Xbox One to sit horizontally. It's not a flaw, they made it that way. Blu-ray, stereos, dvd players, they all have to do that same. Sure the 360 gave you the choice, but now there is no such option. The original Xbox didn't sit vertical either. If lacking the feature is a deal breaker, I can't see how the other things they did or didn't do hadn't bothered you more.
I really think its just one of those "another thing about the xbox one". To me this isnt a big deal at all, my 360 is horizontal and i dont have much issue with space, most people are probably the same, but when Microsoft has announced so much shit, even the tiny little things like this are annoying as its adding some more wood to the fire (even if its a little twig)

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
It's all a ruse. They just don't want you to recognise it's true form:

/lame joke

Honestly, the DVD drive can't be as bad as the previous consoles. Both my original Xbox and 360 stuck something stupid, to the point where I have to bash my 360 quite hard to jump the tray out. One day it'll just cease function altogether.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
The day I bought my 360, I turned it vertically. After a couple hours the game stopped working. I opened it up, and the game was scratched horribly. I exchanged the game and the 360, but and have not once turned a console vertically in years.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Dragonbums said:
The 360 however is often shown being oriented in both positions.

However the Xbox One has only been showed to be place horizontal.
Thus one can deduce that that is how you place the device.

Companies don't need to tell consumers not to put toasters on their side do they?
Toasters didn't just go through an entire generation where either position was possible. Consoles did. This is no longer a given and so yes, they do need to specify it as 20% of gamers place their consoles vertically at the moment. That's no small number. That the Wii, WiiU(?), ps3, ps4, and 360 makes this a noteworthy step backwards from freedom of placement.

I mean, not noteworthy because it matters. Just noteworthy to let people know not to do it.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
This just reminds me that the Playstation emblem on my PS3 can actually be turned so it's rightside up when vertical or horizontal. It's such a little thing, but the click it makes is kind of satisfying.

Anyway, I think maybe they might want to make this a bigger announcement so people don't end up bricking their console.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Hazy992 said:
Pretty sure the Wii, PS3 and PS4 could be stood vertically and they've all got slot loading drives...
The NSA chip feeding kinect data to them probably doesn't work if faced vertical.

*this is just a bad joke fyi not to be taken seriously*

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
The Wii, PS2 & PS3 can load games vertically, so does the 360 (if you're very careful, because it can give your disc a very nasty scratch that renders the disc unusable), I'm honestly curious to know if the PS4 can let you stand the console vertically, because by the looks of it, it's very probable it does.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Are people seriously upset over this?

Come on, people, even fucking reddit is done with the ceaseless Microsoft vitriol, and I don't think they could bring themselves to beat a horse that's still breathing.

This is like complaining that you can't put it upside down.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I don?t see a problem with this.
My own uneducated guess is that the majority of people don?t place their consoles vertical. I myself don?t.
Additionally to that before the Wii, Xbox360 and PS3 arrived it was pretty normal to have a console in its horizontal position as the hatches of the drives demanded.
Placing them horizontal also adds security since they can?t be knocked over or fall over.
All in all I consider the vertical stance a vanity option with little to no value.

This however doesn?t change that I currently have no desire to buy an Xbox One?

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
MinionJoe said:
The advantage I have for vertical over horizontal is more than just space though. One, the 360 cools better when vertical. Granted, this may not be the case for the XB1.
Which version of it are you referring to? I used to have a 360 Elite, which did cool better when vertical, as that was the best way to get airflow over the fans. When that red ringed, I got the 360 Slim, which cools a lot better when horizontal. This is because it has cooling vents (not sure if there are fans in all of them) on top, and both sides, but nothing underneath. Which means if I set it vertically, I block a vent.

OT: I don't see the problem here. At least they've told people, instead of people finding out because their drives freak out because they're placed vertically. I get that some people (especially students and such) might have space issues, but those can usually be overcome. I very much doubt I'll get an XB1, but this won't be a factor in that, there are enough other reasons to stick with my current consoles and PC, and consider a PS4 sometime in the future.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Arawn said:
Ishigami said:
I don?t see a problem with this.
My own uneducated guess is that the majority of people don?t place their consoles vertical. I myself don?t.
Additionally to that before the Wii, Xbox360 and PS3 arrived it was pretty normal to have a console in its horizontal position as the hatches of the drives demanded.
Placing them horizontal also adds security since they can?t be knocked over or fall over.
All in all I consider the vertical stance a vanity option with little to no value.

This however doesn?t change that I currently have no desire to buy an Xbox One?
It's not like standing consoles on their side is this new idea. It's been around for a while. The main reason that this has people up in arms is because it shows there is quite possibly a design flaw in the cooling system, so this is also showing design flaws before the console is released. Given the horrible failure rate when the 360 was released this has made some more people shy away from it too. It very well may not be the cooling system that is the issue but regardless there is still some form of design flaw there and The Xbox One really can't handle any more of those before they just start filling the shipping boxes with rocks.