Microsoft Xbox needs to die.

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
Kingme18 said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
What I hate about these threads is there is always one person who types this line. "This has not been a problem for me and my Xbox works just fine." Just fine and dandy random person on the internet who thinks that everybody else must treat their stuff like crap. Like how mine broke as well and is sitting in my closet never to be played again.
That one random person and bunch of other people. I have only had one 360 break down on me and that was 2 years after launch AND after being thrown down a flight of stairs. On my second 360 and it works perfectly since 2009.
And then that awkward moment where even more people back you up and say that I have owned a 360 for 4 years and it has never been a problem to me ever.... Yeah.
And possibly the most awkward moment that can be had on a forum, when yet another person says that he has owned a 360 Arcade since 2008 and has never had any issues with it.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
I must be terribly lucky because my xbox never failed me.

Programmed_For_Damage said:
I haven't seen a mod yet that isn't in some way half-arsed or stands out from the original content like dog's balls.
Battlefield 2 Project Reality (so.. much... content...)
Counter Strike
Day of Defeat
Team Fortress
Red Orchestra
Basically any well known mod for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines (the game had to be modded by the community to work, lol)

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
I might be in the minority but the PC gamers can keep their mods. There is a reason game developers generate content for their own games; it's because they're good at it. I haven't seen a mod yet that isn't in some way half-arsed or stands out from the original content like dog's balls.

BTW I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your 360's. I've got three in the house (2 Pros and a 360S) and none of them have had any problems.
While I'm fairly certain he's a troll, I agree. On my first xbox, and it's going strong.

One tip I have is keep it horizontal. It puts less pressure on the disc tray.

I'd say it's time for the whole console generation to move on, but I'd also say it's a good thing people have had time to get some real wear out of this generation. I'd hate it if they started trying to get people to shell out for a new console every couple of years (which some people really would do) I feel like we've really had a chance to explore their potential.

So while it is time for a new generation in the next couple of years, we've had a good run, and any outdatedness is hardly xbox exclusive... >_>

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hey, I'm still on my first xbox which I have owned for years, and from the sounds of it, you want an entire console to fail because you aren't satisfied with it. Ok then, I guess the millions of us that actually like it can go jump in a ditch then, apparently if you don't like it it has to go. Also an imperfect economic system, this has been a problem since the dawn of man, and it will be a problem when Humanity is snuffed out, even if that happens billions of years from now.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
MrDeckard said:
A couple of things.

1) Screw mods. Most are cheats of some kind and while I enjoy SOME mods, most just don't improve my game-play experience enough for me to make the switch to PC. And this IS NOT an invitation for you to suggest ANYTHING!!! I know about ALL the mods you are so dying to tell me about.

2) I, like many others, didn't have much of a problem with the RROD. One time about a year into use, sent it in, had it back for free in less than a month.

3) Power for price. A brand new 360 was $400. A laptop(I move too much to have a desktop) that could do the same thing would have cost around 1000-1500. And I REALLY don't feel like debating this one. In addition to this, PC just isn't as reliable. There is always a problem. With install, with the graphics card, with the in-game content, with the performance. And if you found some deal/computer that blows what I just said away, quite frankly I don't care. I am talking from experience.

4) Exclusive games and ease of use. Not only are there several games I LOVE that are only on 360, but I feel that Xbox LIVE is completely worth it for excellent service, good servers and great accessibility.

If you feel differently, that's fine. I however, will be playing my 360 for a VERY long time.
So...basically what I'm reading here is, "I'm a console fan who doesn't like someone talking trash about my platform. So here are my (ill-informed) thoughts on the matter and I don't care what you have to say because I'm right and don't want someone to prove me wrong."

That's just...just...wow. Not even sure how to respond to that.

Don't worry though, I'm not going to debate any of this with you. It's clear you've no intention on hearing anything but what Microsoft feeds you.

Also, to take a page from your book of 'posting rules', feel free to NOT respond as I'll be extending you the same courtesy you give to others. By that I mean ignoring you.

(Oh, and for the record, I'm NOT a PC elitist. I've owned one or two consoles from every generation since the NES era. So I don't hate consoles. Well, until this current generation that is.)

Char-Nobyl said:
For someone who calls into question the validity of someone's claims for lack of 'citations', you seem to make a lot of your own.

Regardless, I'm done with this whole "consoles vs PC" debate. It's beyond childish at this point. Not to mention the sheer level of condescension is just staggering. It's like watching a bunch of Russel Brand clones all arguing with each other.

However, I really must refute one of your "claims". Getting a PC that's at least twice as powerful as the 360 will actually cost you less than a 360. For that matter, building one that can play any game currently available will NOT cost you two grand. Good God man, what? Are you buying some top-of-the-line gaming laptop from Alienware? If so, then you deserve to have the thing die out in a year or two.

As I said in my previous post, I still have my gaming PCs from 2004 and from 1998. They didn't cost me an arm-and-a-leg to build, and they still work fine. I still use the one from '04, in fact.

Likewise, I've had FAR fewer issues with my PCs than I have with my 360. I constantly have to connect to Xbox Live to get my arcade games and DLC to work. I can't even recall how many times I've had to connect to Live just so I could access the DLC for Halo Wars or other games.

PC's don't 'magically' become outdated every few years. Unless your some techophile who just HAS to have the latest tech. Which, if you are, then you really wouldn't be playing on a console, would you?

As for "getting a virus", well, that's all user negligence. If you get one it's your own fault. Not the computers.

If anything, consoles are holding game design back. And I don't just me graphically. (which I'm not too arsed about anyway) Faster, more powerful CPUs and greater RAM/memory capacities would allow for larger, faster, smarter games and NPCs. Just for starters.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Iron Criterion said:
So I can't contribute to this discussion if my Xbox hasn't broken in the five years I've owned it?
You can, but your console working really doesn't mean much.

Oh so I'm only allowed to quote my personal experiences if they support the "we hate Microsoft" argument.
Quote mining for the win. I mean, his statement was only three sentences long, surely the middle one wasn't so confusing that you couldn't grasp it, or see the continuity involved.

Further, I always have to posit: So what if your system works? What does that mean to this thread?
It means a lot to the thread actually. It's called healthy debate, and for a debate to be successful and not just a flame-war you need differing opinions backed up by personal experience. If we only had a bunch of people with consoles that didn't work berating Microsoft it would paint a very inaccurate but dangerous picture.

And considering you have designated yourself 'intelligent' enough to be condescending toward me, than I hope you can see I was more pointing out how hypocritical and unfair his "your personal experience doesn't count but mine does because it bashes Microsoft" argument was. Really now.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Zeckt said:
I am now on my fourth xbox where my first 2 had RROD and third had trouble with the huge bar thing continously turning off and the dvd driver not closing properly. My fourth xbox is the limited gears 3 one which comes with 2 gears of war controllers both of which are screwy. The one had its b button get caved in after 2 weeks and the second continously loses battery power over and over. This is my 5th xbox controller to mess up.

And just look at their live service, where it costs developers 40 thousand dollars for a simple patch on their games. They lured a bunch of small independent developers and with the new update beat them in a corner and charge developers huge amounts of money to put games on the arcade.

With the new patch we are bombarded with advertisements, and they have the guts to raise the price on live for something which really should be free. You have to have an active live account to have access to "perks" like netflix (thats a JOKE) and live ruined any communication with their community with their games. Just look at the sorry state of the dungeon defender dlc, microsoft acts like bloody money grubbing tyrants and just look at how it ruins games that thrive on dlc like l4d or team fortress 2. You cannot mod ANY game on the 360, which makes people who bought skyrim on the 360 insanely jealous of all the fun the pc community gets to have with user created content. Microsoft simply does not ALLOW us access to it because it contradicts their ideals.

Enough is enough! all microsoft accomplishes is strangling developers with their bullshit, and get away with releasing GARBAGE hardware so you have to re-buy the console and controller over and over and they actually have the guts to charge you almost 100$ a year to play games online.

Next gen microsoft NEEDS to lose the race because they are literally keeping gaming in the dark ages with their selfish tactics. In a perfect world everyone would buy games only for the pc so developers / consumers can enjoy freedom and the biggest hurdle for developers would not be the money to make the games, but only their creativity. Will microsoft ever have gems like Cave Story, SOL exodus which is trying to make a space combat comeback, or Terraria? NO, because they ask for way too much money. Microsoft is the equivalent of the church in the dark ages.

What is there to defend about the 360 other then brand loyalty?
4 consoles? that is either incredibly bad luck, or the environment where you put your console is high in salt and or dust.

Also, I understand your anger over the Company, but unless you had a very big and extensive title collection to being with, why in the hell would you buy 4 consoles from the same company if you have had such a dreadful experience?

As a consumer I would have stopped by the 2nd time the console quit on me, or I would have gotten one of those extended guarantees that so many stores want to sell to you these days.

Finally, I understand that you want make people aware of these EVILZ of the company, but the best thing YOU can do as a consumer is just stop buying their products and go to their competition, and if you really want to stick it to them, instead of making a fuzz over it on an internet forum and leaving it at that, i would start talking directly with M$ customer support, recording the calls and posting them for all to see, these usually give you better results and often times free swag to try and shut you up about your nightmarish predicament.

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
To be honest, I think you've probably just been treating it badly. I've had a few problems with squashed buttons and such on my controllers, but I freely admit that they were all caused by my own hand - When I got overly aggressive playing CoD4 when I was a bit younger.

I've had my xbox for 4 years now, and it has even had the 3 Red rings - I managed to get it working again, and it's now working perfectly again.

Basically I think you've had very bad luck, or you've been treating your consoles badly.

Jun 11, 2008
MrDeckard said:
A couple of things.

1) Screw mods. Most are cheats of some kind and while I enjoy SOME mods, most just don't improve my game-play experience enough for me to make the switch to PC. And this IS NOT an invitation for you to suggest ANYTHING!!! I know about ALL the mods you are so dying to tell me about.

2) I, like many others, didn't have much of a problem with the RROD. One time about a year into use, sent it in, had it back for free in less than a month.

3) Power for price. A brand new 360 was $400. A laptop(I move too much to have a desktop) that could do the same thing would have cost around 1000-1500. And I REALLY don't feel like debating this one. In addition to this, PC just isn't as reliable. There is always a problem. With install, with the graphics card, with the in-game content, with the performance. And if you found some deal/computer that blows what I just said away, quite frankly I don't care. I am talking from experience.

4) Exclusive games and ease of use. Not only are there several games I LOVE that are only on 360, but I feel that Xbox LIVE is completely worth it for excellent service, good servers and great accessibility.

If you feel differently, that's fine. I however, will be playing my 360 for a VERY long time.
Reading this has made my brain malfunction and given me a headache.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
I have used my Xbox 360 almost every day for the past 5 years and after 2 years it red-ringed, since then i've made sure to look after it and the only problem it's had since was when the power brick broke recently and I got one off of a friend.

Do you try and break it? Sure their infamous for breaking but i'd buy a PS3 or something if they kept doing it.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Vigormortis said:
For someone who calls into question the validity of someone's claims for lack of 'citations', you seem to make a lot of your own.
Indeed I do, save for the fact that I don't claim numerical data without citation.

Vigormortis said:
However, I really must refute one of your "claims". Getting a PC that's at least twice as powerful as the 360 will actually cost you less than a 360.
Interesting. If you've got a place where you can buy a computer with "at least twice" the performance of a 360 for under $250, maximum [http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/consoles/microsoft-xbox-360-elite-250gb-matte/97765], I'd love to see it.

Vigormortis said:
For that matter, building one that can play any game currently available will NOT cost you two grand. Good God man, what? Are you buying some top-of-the-line gaming laptop from Alienware? If so, then you deserve to have the thing die out in a year or two.
Here's the thing: the only kind of computer I've used regularly for about five years now is a laptop. Having a desktop would be wasteful and inefficient, because half the time when I use my computer I'm not even at home.

That being said, I'm not being sarcastic when I say that if you know where to get a cheap laptop that can run Skyrim better than my 360, I'd love to hear where it is.

Vigormortis said:
As I said in my previous post, I still have my gaming PCs from 2004 and from 1998. They didn't cost me an arm-and-a-leg to build, and they still work fine. I still use the one from '04, in fact.
*facepalm*

Okay. So you've been using a computer built with technology from eight years ago and never once, say, swapped out parts to upgrade it? Because that kind of renders the 'built in 2004' thing moot.

Vigormortis said:
Likewise, I've had FAR fewer issues with my PCs than I have with my 360. I constantly have to connect to Xbox Live to get my arcade games and DLC to work. I can't even recall how many times I've had to connect to Live just so I could access the DLC for Halo Wars or other games.
Never had that trouble myself. Maybe I just got lucky.

Vigormortis said:
PC's don't 'magically' become outdated every few years. Unless your some techophile who just HAS to have the latest tech. Which, if you are, then you really wouldn't be playing on a console, would you?
Or if you've got the know-how to Frankensteins your computer as needed.

Vigormortis said:
As for "getting a virus", well, that's all user negligence. If you get one it's your own fault. Not the computers.
Clearly you've never lived in a place with more than one person and a desktop. Laptops at least have the automatic notion of being personal property, but for some reason, desktops are always perceived as communal.

Vigormortis said:
If anything, consoles are holding game design back. And I don't just me graphically. (which I'm not too arsed about anyway) Faster, more powerful CPUs and greater RAM/memory capacities would allow for larger, faster, smarter games and NPCs. Just for starters.
That's true, but there are limitations beyond the hardware. Look at RAGE. Gorgeous, even on consoles. But how much of it was there, even put on two disks? Upgrade the hardware as much as you want, but if the delivery system is running out of space, you're just staving off the problem.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
The 360's problems with updates through Live and XBLA, and the challenge of getting replacement power packs are the only issues I see with the console. There are plenty of stories of breakdowns, and breakdowns are VERY problematic, but I've never had those problems. My problem was that my power pack burnt out ( it had overheated as a result of my stupidity in placing it, not enough ventilation), and I had to go on a wild goose chase to find a replacement. Also note that the broken power pack had it's light glowing red (perhaps RROD Xbox's have overheated?).

It's alright to get angry at a console that seems ( and maybe even is) shoddily made, but then again, I recommend making sure the console and power pack have plenty of space for ventilation. That may solve most problems with the console breaking down.

LooK iTz Jinjo said:
I'm on my 4th Xbox, I've had a release Pro and a 2nd Gen Arcade die on me (only paid $50 for the arcade and it served me well for over a year), I also had a MW2 console which I've subsequently sold and I'm now on a Gears of War 3 console. I've got 5 controllers (4 first party ones), only 1 of which doesn't work perfectly, but I attribute that to my idiot brother who used to use it before I moved out and took it with me. You're complaining about the price hike? It's like $100 for a year in Australia (unless you get in during one of their 'deals') and we don't even get half the features. No Netflix, no Indie Games and we have a total of 2 TV Channels from that new update. Seriously, how do we pay more than Americans for it? OUR DOLLAR IS WORTH MORE!

That all being said, they provide a damn good service and I love my Xbox. My Wii and 3DS sit tucked away collecting dust, but every day without fail I turn my xbox on for 10-15 hours...
'Tis true that your dollar is worth more, but as far to my knowledge, that's a fairly recent development. For the longest time, the Canadian and Australian Dollars were worth less than the US Dollar; recent economic conditions in America seem to have brought the dollar down compared to all currencies, leading the Canadian and Aussie dollars to be more valuable in comparison, if only by a miniscule margin.

Another thing I've noticed is that for most every console in all of gaming history released internationally, it always cost the same across all countries ( 600 US Dollars, 600 Euros, 600 British Pounds Sterling, 600 Canadian Dollars, etc., as an example), which means consumers in countries with stronger currencies always paid more... but I don't know why you guys are paying so much for everything; maybe it has something to do with having had a weaker currency the whole time, and then all the companies don't seem willing to change the prices to meet changes in currency... but it seems like an enigma. An unfair one.

captcha: Masonry, oppoper ... maybe the Freemasons are responsible! [joke]

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Shawn MacDonald said:
What I hate about these threads is there is always one person who types this line. "This has not been a problem for me and my Xbox works just fine." Just fine and dandy random person on the internet who thinks that everybody else must treat their stuff like crap. Like how mine broke as well and is sitting in my closet never to be played again.
Uh... Pot? You're kinda calling the Kettle black here.

This goes the other way as well, just because you had a problem with it and didn't get it fixed, doesn't mean that everyone else has. I can only recall one person I know in the passed few years who has had an Xbox 360 RRoD on them, out of at least 3 dozen.

I'll admit, at first, I had troubles with Xbox's. Within the first 3 years of launch, I had gone through 3 consoles. Each had died on me with an RRoD, and one of them also had an issue with the disc tray. I was furious at the time, but each one that broke, I was able to get repaired for free from Microsoft, and had my warranty extended even. Now, I've gone on 3 years with my current Xbox, almost 4, with near constant use on it, and it is showing no signs of any problems. The only console I've had longer than that was my second PS2 I believe because my first one I had of those broke, and I didn't have a warranty to cover it or number to dial to have it shipped and fixed for free.

Then again, I wish I could say the same thing about their damned headsets.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Don't like Microsoft/X-Box anymore? Well, just don't spend any more money on it then!

I'm sure MS will cry tears of molten gold over losing out on your cash. Or not.

Mar 5, 2011
I might be in the minority but the PC gamers can keep their mods. There is a reason game developers generate content for their own games; it's because they're good at it. I haven't seen a mod yet that isn't in some way half-arsed or stands out from the original content like dog's balls.

BTW I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your 360's. I've got three in the house (2 Pros and a 360S) and none of them have had any problems.
I beg to differ on the PC mods suck part. Counter Strike was a mod for Half Life and so was Team Fortress. Dear Ester started as a mod for Half Life 2. Mods for Bethesda games make the game so much better it's staggering.

Also these mods are probably going to better then the games there modding.

http://andoran.com/en/

http://blackmesasource.com/

TheKasp said:
You are my new favorite user.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Wolfram01 said:
Sure: http://www.videogamer.com/news/schafer_xbox_360_patches_cost_40k.html
Nothing against Tim Schafer, but are there any other sources? He casually mentions it, and then...nothing else.

Wolfram01 said:
Those services are free in PS3, Wii, and PC... Xbox is the only one charging
Oh, yes, PS3. A living monument to the quality you get from a completely free service. The PC is already designed to connect to the internet, so that's a non-example, and the Wii...

Sorry, I couldn't stop laughing at the idea of playing online Wii games.

Wolfram01 said:
Actually that's complete crap. I've used some huge overhaul mods on many games, in particular though STALKER: CoP and Skyrim, and the vast majority of mods do not and can not break because of the update. The exceptions are things like Skyrim Script Extender and SkyBoost which vastly improve game performance and the script library (Papyrus)
So they sometimes don't break with updates? And when they do, they're for stuff that are invaluable to game performance?

Great. How comforting.

Wolfram01 said:
...Ok. I disagree with the value assessments as well as the implication of huge instability, but we'll roll with it. Not like Xboxs ever break and need replacing. Oh... right.
I'd prefer a device that breaks over one that breaks and steals my personal data. At least I don't have any chance of fault in the former. Besides, when did a company ever extend a blanket warranty over a computer?

Wolfram01 said:
Implying that open source is the perfect world is vastly different than implying consoles shouldn't exist, but I'm not going to put words in his mouth
Sorry, I saw "In a perfect world everyone would buy games only for the pc" and understandably assumed that this would require the nonexistence of consoles. My mistake.

Wolfram01 said:
Sad, the way monopolies work. Want to play DirectX video games on PC? You need Windows. I personally await the day games are made on open source code like OpenGL and I can simply run Ubuntu or whatever free OS.
You act like games have an incentive to be produced like that. The most recent high-profile game release without any disc protection (a different issue, but a big one for PC gaming) ended up being one of the most pirated games in history. And then the producers of The Witcher 2 had the gall to cry that the internet was being mean to them by not buying their easily-downloaded game.

The internet (and the people who inhabit it) so consistently screw developers across the entertainment industry that it's sheer luck that a few of them still cater to us from time to time.

Wolfram01 said:
Anyway, my personal opinion is that consoles are good. They get more people into gaming, and as they mature games get better across the board (including PC ports). It's pretty simple to get away from consoles, really. You can get gaming on a PC for as little as $400-500 (plus a monitor, but same goes for a console). Sure, it will be outdated compared to the most modern tech in a year as new GPUs and CPUs get released, but compared to the software it will not be struggling any more than when it was new. Games just aren't really getting any more demanding on the minimum specs side of things.
But I commute really regularly. That plan would require me to buy a second computer that I can't use anytime except when I'm at home.

Wolfram01 said:
Sure, on PC you might need to troubleshoot an issue here and there (10 minutes on Google... less time than you spend reading this forum. Or Facebook) but otherwise, keep you PC in good condition and it'll last a long time. I think the slight inconveniences are vastly, vastly out striped by the benefits - but of course not everyone feels that way and I'm ok with it.
Now that is how you end an argument. Kudos, man. Not a lot of people can say something as reasonable as that while on the internet.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Ug, I'm having major troubles with my Xbox right now, the disk drive won't read disks, the controllers work about 50% of the time and it's noisy(er than usual) as crap right now.

But I won't replace it, since I might as well just stick to the PC. I've got steam, I've can play multiplayer games for free, I can sample delicious indie goodness from a much broader range and I prefer the controls.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Frybird said:
Trollin', Trollin', Trollin'
Though the threads are swollen
Keep them fanboys trolling
Flamethreeeeeeeaaaad
Watch the posts a'stackin'
Wise we be a-crackin'
Talkin' 'bout the xbox 360.
My opinion is that these folks
Won't accept what we say as jokes
There's nothing we can do to change
Their minds.

OT: I've had my elite since Halo 3 came out, and it still works just fine. In fact, it's outlived my brother's arcade, despite having been acquired a year before it. I'd say the problem is that people are buying the cheapest model, and then complaining when they get the lowest quality parts. An extra $100 up front has already saved me $100 on the back end.

Also, If your controllers broke within a month of purchase, why the hell didn't you return them? The 30 day return policy and 90 day warranty are your friends.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
TheKasp said:
A recent interview with Tim Schafer. Not gonna find the link for you, the story is here on the escapist too.

Oh wait, you know what. I did it.

http://www.hookshotinc.com/interview-schafers-millions/

?But the indie community is now moving elsewhere; we?re figuring out how to fund and distribute games ourselves, and we?re getting more control over them. Those systems as great as they are, they?re still closed. You have to jump through a lot of hoops, even for important stuff like patching and supporting your game. Those are things we really want to do, but we can?t do it on these systems. I mean, it costs $40,000 to put up a patch ? we can?t afford that! Open systems like Steam, that allow us to set our own prices, that?s where it?s at, and doing it completely alone like Minecraft. That?s where people are going.?
lol, nice job ripping it from someone else's post.

TheKasp said:
I don't get my internet from them. And I don't have to pay for my multiplayer games, I also don't have to pay for Steam, Origins, GFWL, any other gaming platform.
Except that Steam and Origin are about as lenient to their user base as the guards at a concentration camp. It's no secret that Steam is only licensing you use of the games, but Origin goes the extra mile by having the alarming tendency to disable players from using the game discs that they physically bought.

TheKasp said:
Well, thanks to the limit of size for a patch, the costs for a patch alone and the time it takes to authorize a patch the Xbox kills community support for small games because the developer can't continue working on them. Nice to see that you support it.
I guess the "I see the problem with..." statement sailed right over your head. As did the "I enjoy my games being complete at time of launch" part.

TheKasp said:
If you sink a grand into a PC then you are an idiot. If you have regular problems with crashes, games and viruses you are incompetent.

I sank 400? for a good PC now 3 years ago, I have no problems running Serious Sam 3 on ultra. And if you seen SS 3 on ultra you know this game takes a serious PC to run it.
Jesus tapdancing Christ, does no one here ever think that some people prefer laptops? Because I do. Because I'm not at home half the time and still want to be able to user a computer.