Microsoft Xbox needs to die.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Programmed_For_Damage said:
I haven't seen a mod yet that isn't in some way half-arsed or stands out from the original content like dog's balls.
You're obviously not looking hard enough.

It's like any major title on, say, the Wii. There are some gems out there, but they are encased in layer upon layer of absolute crap.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
My xbox has never broken down, because i don't use it! I'm a PC elitist douche bag!

OT: Yea, i don't use it, so I can't really help....

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
I might be in the minority but the PC gamers can keep their mods. There is a reason game developers generate content for their own games; it's because they're good at it. I haven't seen a mod yet that isn't in some way half-arsed or stands out from the original content like dog's balls.

BTW I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your 360's. I've got three in the house (2 Pros and a 360S) and none of them have had any problems.
Need i hang a lampshade on Team Fortress or Counter Strike? DotA?
Mods that spawned video game franchises that dominate multiplayer leader-boards.

Mods enhance the longevity of any game they are in, yes sturgeon's law is in effect just as it is for any Video Game Console.

when you make a comment based on limited experiences you invalidate any opinion you might have.

Mar 26, 2008
lapan said:
I might be in the minority but the PC gamers can keep their mods. There is a reason game developers generate content for their own games; it's because they're good at it. I haven't seen a mod yet that isn't in some way half-arsed or stands out from the original content like dog's balls.

BTW I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your 360's. I've got three in the house (2 Pros and a 360S) and none of them have had any problems.
Then you simply haven't looked good enough.
Fair enough, I'll cop to that statement. Given I don't play on the PC much anymore I'm not as well versed on mods as others. As I said, I'm purely going on what I've seen and subjectively speaking what you might think is good just doesn't do it for me.

And I used to play Counter Strike and Team Fortress a lot and the majority of the mods I played were shite in my opinion. Some were ok.

LordDPS said:
when you make a comment based on limited experiences you invalidate any opinion you might have.
Dude, you don't even know me, or how much experience I've had with games. I've been gaming for a long, long time.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Veylon said:
All that and yet you bought four of the things and continue to pay for their internet services? When you keep throwing money at them like this, you are giving them every reason to think they are doing a fantastic job.
My thoughts exactly, this is starting to sound like Battered Wife Syndrome.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Char-Nobyl said:
Wolfram01 said:
Sure: http://www.videogamer.com/news/schafer_xbox_360_patches_cost_40k.html
Nothing against Tim Schafer, but are there any other sources? He casually mentions it, and then...nothing else.
Well, nothing official. Still, seems pretty outrageous. I guess it's the same/similar on all consoles, but at least on PC a dev can just throw a patch up on their website. Free minus the cost of the server space.

Wolfram01 said:
Those services are free in PS3, Wii, and PC... Xbox is the only one charging
Oh, yes, PS3. A living monument to the quality you get from a completely free service. The PC is already designed to connect to the internet, so that's a non-example, and the Wii...

Sorry, I couldn't stop laughing at the idea of playing online Wii games.
Honestly, I'm not sure what you mean about the PS3 jibe. Granted, I don't play a lot of PS3 games online, used to play a fair bit of CoD and Gran Turismo though as well as Demon's Souls, and didn't have any issues. I suppose the hacking thing was sucky but fortunately it didn't affect me.

Also, aren't all the consoles also designed to connect to the net? I mean they have ethernet ports just like a PC, and even include wireless which goes beyond most PCs. Basically, I don't see why exclude it from the list. Most PC game apps like Steam, Origin, Impulse, GFWL are totally free - although some of them suck some serious donkey you know what.

And well, the Wii... yeah... but, at least you can get Netflix on the Wii without a subscription to "Wii Live" lol.
Wolfram01 said:
Actually that's complete crap. I've used some huge overhaul mods on many games, in particular though STALKER: CoP and Skyrim, and the vast majority of mods do not and can not break because of the update. The exceptions are things like Skyrim Script Extender and SkyBoost which vastly improve game performance and the script library (Papyrus)
So they sometimes don't break with updates? And when they do, they're for stuff that are invaluable to game performance?

Great. How comforting.
Well... sort of. I suppose I put that very badly. Most mods are things like new textures and meshes, or simple edits of in game items - things that are not changed on a patch to patch basis. The likelyhood of a mod that adds a new armor or weapon or house breaking the game are extremely low.

The two examples I listed are literally the only two I know of right now. Neither of them will break the game if they aren't working and so far have been pretty quick to get updated after a patch.

Wolfram01 said:
...Ok. I disagree with the value assessments as well as the implication of huge instability, but we'll roll with it. Not like Xboxs ever break and need replacing. Oh... right.
I'd prefer a device that breaks over one that breaks and steals my personal data. At least I don't have any chance of fault in the former. Besides, when did a company ever extend a blanket warranty over a computer?
Well I guess the obvious thing to state is that nobody is stealing person data if a PC dies. I assume you mean you lose all your stored photos and other personal effects if a hard drive dies, and yes that is unfortunate. There are ways of mitigating that, though, from using cloud storage to backing up your own stuff on an external drive or just using RAID 1 (mirrors data between multiple drives).

Depends on the PC, a lot of them like Dells and HPs have limited warranties for a couple years. But, if you build your own, you generally get pretty good coverage. Most of my parts came with 2-3 year warranties, some are lifetime. It's really not that different from a console, though. Once the warranty is up you gotta pay to send it out and get it fixed.

Wolfram01 said:
Implying that open source is the perfect world is vastly different than implying consoles shouldn't exist, but I'm not going to put words in his mouth
Sorry, I saw "In a perfect world everyone would buy games only for the pc" and understandably assumed that this would require the nonexistence of consoles. My mistake.
No, I realize that's what he said. I agree with you that it is a bad sentiment overall. However, I think he may have meant something a little different than what he actually said. That was just my interpretation, like I said, I'm not trying to put words into his mouth.

Wolfram01 said:
Sad, the way monopolies work. Want to play DirectX video games on PC? You need Windows. I personally await the day games are made on open source code like OpenGL and I can simply run Ubuntu or whatever free OS.
You act like games have an incentive to be produced like that. The most recent high-profile game release without any disc protection (a different issue, but a big one for PC gaming) ended up being one of the most pirated games in history. And then the producers of The Witcher 2 had the gall to cry that the internet was being mean to them by not buying their easily-downloaded game.

The internet (and the people who inhabit it) so consistently screw developers across the entertainment industry that it's sheer luck that a few of them still cater to us from time to time.
Well first off, no I don't. I know there's little to no reason for games to be made on opensource code. The only big release in a long time to be made on OpenGL is RAGE. Pretty high profile game, but it's a rare one. All I'm saying is I'd like for that to happen. Or, hell, even for Linux to be able to run DirectX (though I'm sure Microsoft would never allow it). I don't hate Win 7, I mostly hate that there are good alternative operating systems that I can not game on.

DRM is a different issue for sure, not one I really see the need to get into here. Personally I'm mostly ok with it. Mostly. Not entirely.

You're right that it's surprising devs still cater to the PC crowd sometimes. From a pure business standpoint, for a big dev they would lose out on potentially huge sales by not going multiplatform, but it's not like PC gaming isn't profitable. Plus like I alluded to with the $400-500 PC, the minimum specs for gaming aren't really changing much so people who buy decent PCs now will still be able to game in several years. Sadly, people on old tech right now are out of luck, but basically as we move forward more and more people will have capable machines.

Wolfram01 said:
Anyway, my personal opinion is that consoles are good. They get more people into gaming, and as they mature games get better across the board (including PC ports). It's pretty simple to get away from consoles, really. You can get gaming on a PC for as little as $400-500 (plus a monitor, but same goes for a console). Sure, it will be outdated compared to the most modern tech in a year as new GPUs and CPUs get released, but compared to the software it will not be struggling any more than when it was new. Games just aren't really getting any more demanding on the minimum specs side of things.
But I commute really regularly. That plan would require me to buy a second computer that I can't use anytime except when I'm at home.
Well... yeah, that's unfortunate. I mean you could transport a small form factor PC around, but it's for sure more hassle than a console that fits into a backpack.

Wolfram01 said:
Sure, on PC you might need to troubleshoot an issue here and there (10 minutes on Google... less time than you spend reading this forum. Or Facebook) but otherwise, keep you PC in good condition and it'll last a long time. I think the slight inconveniences are vastly, vastly out striped by the benefits - but of course not everyone feels that way and I'm ok with it.
Now that is how you end an argument. Kudos, man. Not a lot of people can say something as reasonable as that while on the internet.
Um... thanks. I swear I'm not trying to be super argumentative here, rather just clear up (what I feel are) a few misconceptions.

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
I still have an original model 360 that works. If I leave it running to long it will die, but it always starts back up after a break.

I spend most of my time on my PC anyway so it doesn't matter.

Parkway91

Sep 1, 2011
I am still on my 1st gen PS3. I agree our online section could do with a little improvement, being hacked and taking what felt like years to fix. But as far as hardware, my 1st gen still works like fresh out the box. I feel I made an excellent choice.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Yet you're on your 4th Xbox. They must be doing something right or you would have never gotten the first one fixed. I don't love the Xbox 360, I prefer retro gaming myself, but I've had some fun on it. And all your arguments sounded like you want to love them but they make you hate them. Brand loyalty is not the reason people defend them. It's just that they also have had a lot of fun but without as many problems.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
Somonah said:
And you will blow up your first gaming PC
Only if you're a fucking idiot!

Me, I have consoles dating back to the Master System that are all played and still running perfectly. I build my own PCs. I own and use four grands worth of camera gear regularly and also build large car audio setups, none of which have ever failed.

I've also had five 360s die on me over the years, all of which are kept well ventilated and are even treated to good, clean power. Only one ever lasted more than eight months, and one lasted under an hour before the DVD drive started making grinding noises.

So, looking at the above evidence, and also adding that I've opened up 360s for the RROD fix and can confirm the awful design, whos fault is it?!!

Ayanle Mohamed

Feb 27, 2012
Here's what happened to me: my xbox RROD, my ps3 YLOD, and my PC's hard drive randomly died. I had to fall back on my DS until they were all repaired. With an experience as awful as yours, of course you wouldn't like it; you didn't have a good experience. Which isn't to say you aren't biased, you are, but it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Take one of my friends for example: Prerelease, he was selling up the 3ds like mad. He loved it like it was his baby. then, it got stolen on a train, and now he bashes nintendo at every possible turn.

*edit* my point being that your experiences can affect the way you slant your opinons.

Jelly ^.^

Mar 11, 2010
Welp, I had one Xbox stop working by a non-RROD problem while it was under an extended warranty and got a whole new one shipped with free games and controllers. that one has been going for at least 3 years now with no problems.

I don't use XBox Live, so I have nothing to complain about.

Also, I was one of the people who donated my voice to help the Kinect localisation here, so theoretically any Australian one should bend to my will as it should have my voice patterns exactly.

Apart from that, the two main reasons I chose the 360 over the PS3 were the price difference and because I thought Microsoft were going to do something with Rare besides running them into the ground.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
DaHero said:
I haven't seen a mod yet that isn't in some way half-arsed or stands out from the original content like dog's balls.
Nehrim mod for Oblivion.
Project Reality for Battlefield/ARMA
Midas' Magic Mod for Skyrim
Chernobyl Enhanced for STALKER
Prelude for Portal
Insurgency (Source Mod)

The list goes on and on.
Counter-Strike
Team Fortress
STALKER Misery
Europa Barbarorum
Magna Mundi
Dear Esther
Research and Development
The Stanley Parable

To name what I've installed at the moment. And most of your list is also installed.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
DaHero said:
Nehrim mod for Oblivion.
Project Reality for Battlefield/ARMA
Midas' Magic Mod for Skyrim
Chernobyl Enhanced for STALKER
Prelude for Portal
Insurgency (Source Mod)

The list goes on and on.
Counter-Strike
Team Fortress
STALKER Misery
Europa Barbarorum
Magna Mundi
Dear Esther
Research and Development
The Stanley Parable

To name what I've installed at the moment. And most of your list is also installed.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I'd just like to say, I called this in early 2002 when I discovered Microsoft made a game console.

Initial reaction: "Microsoft... hardware? This won't end well."

Aug 1, 2010
Glademaster said:
MrDeckard said:
A couple of things.

1) Screw mods. Most are cheats of some kind and while I enjoy SOME mods, most just don't improve my game-play experience enough for me to make the switch to PC. And this IS NOT an invitation for you to suggest ANYTHING!!! I know about ALL the mods you are so dying to tell me about.

2) I, like many others, didn't have much of a problem with the RROD. One time about a year into use, sent it in, had it back for free in less than a month.

3) Power for price. A brand new 360 was $400. A laptop(I move too much to have a desktop) that could do the same thing would have cost around 1000-1500. And I REALLY don't feel like debating this one. In addition to this, PC just isn't as reliable. There is always a problem. With install, with the graphics card, with the in-game content, with the performance. And if you found some deal/computer that blows what I just said away, quite frankly I don't care. I am talking from experience.

4) Exclusive games and ease of use. Not only are there several games I LOVE that are only on 360, but I feel that Xbox LIVE is completely worth it for excellent service, good servers and great accessibility.

If you feel differently, that's fine. I however, will be playing my 360 for a VERY long time.
Reading this has made my brain malfunction and given me a headache.
[image/]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nQsCMsIXSjQ/TU87RgbhO2I/AAAAAAAAAeQ/n8Jx8QaOgnA/s1600/success_baby-kid.jpg[/IMG]

I just get so sick of the "PC is better. This is a fact you cannot argue in any way" vibe from these threads.

Aug 1, 2010
Vigormortis said:
MrDeckard said:
A couple of things.

1) Screw mods. Most are cheats of some kind and while I enjoy SOME mods, most just don't improve my game-play experience enough for me to make the switch to PC. And this IS NOT an invitation for you to suggest ANYTHING!!! I know about ALL the mods you are so dying to tell me about.

2) I, like many others, didn't have much of a problem with the RROD. One time about a year into use, sent it in, had it back for free in less than a month.

3) Power for price. A brand new 360 was $400. A laptop(I move too much to have a desktop) that could do the same thing would have cost around 1000-1500. And I REALLY don't feel like debating this one. In addition to this, PC just isn't as reliable. There is always a problem. With install, with the graphics card, with the in-game content, with the performance. And if you found some deal/computer that blows what I just said away, quite frankly I don't care. I am talking from experience.

4) Exclusive games and ease of use. Not only are there several games I LOVE that are only on 360, but I feel that Xbox LIVE is completely worth it for excellent service, good servers and great accessibility.

If you feel differently, that's fine. I however, will be playing my 360 for a VERY long time.
So...basically what I'm reading here is, "I'm a console fan who doesn't like someone talking trash about my platform. So here are my (ill-informed) thoughts on the matter and I don't care what you have to say because I'm right and don't want someone to prove me wrong."

That's just...just...wow. Not even sure how to respond to that.

Don't worry though, I'm not going to debate any of this with you. It's clear you've no intention on hearing anything but what Microsoft feeds you.

Also, to take a page from your book of 'posting rules', feel free to NOT respond as I'll be extending you the same courtesy you give to others. By that I mean ignoring you.

(Oh, and for the record, I'm NOT a PC elitist. I've owned one or two consoles from every generation since the NES era. So I don't hate consoles. Well, until this current generation that is.)
Doesn't refute claims.
Says he doesn't want to debate, responds anyway.
Admits OP was just talking trash.
Ad Hominems.
Insults.

Makes perfect sense...

Cheers mate!

Mar 25, 2010
Screamarie said:
.........Okay where are you buying your xboxes? And how do you treat them? Because my mother bought me one for christmas off of Ebay a while back and it's worked fine for years, a few hiccups, but it is getting old after all. I love my xbox, I don't mind paying for live (yes I am a little pissed that I have to pay to use netflix I've alreay paid for) but at only 60 dollars a year, its not too bad, that's only 5 dollars a month (especially since I always buy mine when I can get a good deal, 20 dollars off at least).

I have Mass Effect and while I don't currently own a copy of Skyrim I have played it and loved it and am intending to buy it some day (it was a choice between Skyrim an ME3, ME won) and I have no need, nor want to mod those games. I do not look at PC gamers with longing. If I wanted it to mod, I'd have gotten it for the PC, but I don't care so I'm good with it how it is.

I also saw no price hike on xbox live...maybe you're not in the US so we're in different situations, but I don't know what raising in price you're talking about.

Now I would comment on the whole updates and the indie developers but I honestly don't know much about all that so I'm not going to pretend to know something I don't.

If you hate the xbox so much I don't really understand why you went out and bought a fourth one...sorry you're having so much trouble, but...I like my xbox and I don't think there's any reason for microsoft to die.
They raised the price from $50 a year to $60 about, like, maybe 7 months ago? My memory is bad.