Microsoft Xbox needs to die.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
All of my friends had RROD and have had to replace their mics atleast once, I've had RROD twice and have replaced my mic atleast 4 times already. Also, the battery packs disconnects from the control if you tap the controller.
If you drop your controllers a lot, yes, that will happen. It's happened to me before.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
I should also add that any Xbox user in here will be shocked to learn there actually isn't universal game chat on the PS3. Apparently (and I may have misread this) but due to the hardware of the PS3, it's actually on the game dev to enable voip within a game.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
LiquidSolstice said:
"PRIVACY BREAK IS OK; NO MONEY STOLEN, MORE AT 11"

Got it. Hepatitis is free, it must be better.

FYI' Sony isn't getting ripped for "minor things".

Sony gets ripped for continuously introducing proprietary formats that no on wants because there's already a standard out. (More here [http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kit-eaton/technomix/memorystick-micro-die-sonys-older-proprietary-standards])
Sony gets ripped for having notoriously bad security on their console networks (which everyone loves to proclaim is free and better).
Sony gets ripped for bringing the world a Cell processor that no one knew how to properly utilize when it came out. It was excessive, expensive, and made multiplatform ports a pain, giving Sony users the shittiest version.
Sony gets ripped for putting a BluRay player into their PS3 before anyone knew if it would win out over HD-DVD. This caused it to be insanely expensive compared to the 360 at launch.
Sony gets ripped for the utterly useless nature of the PSP (except for piracy)
Sony gets ripped for not including DualShock 3 into the controllers at first, deciding that people actually wanted Sixaxis.

Ever wonder why you don't hear about Sixaxis and Move in the news? The list goes on, and on, and on. While Microsoft has made some batshit retarded mistakes, Sony is one of the single-most incompetent tech companies of the century, and I look forward to the day I don't need to hear about another one of their "innovations".
Sony was nice enough to warn about (OK actually it's kind of due diligence) about possible CC theft but nothing has materialized. It's pretty safe to assume nothing was stolen. It's better than MS now with 100s if not 1000s of people getting MS points stolen and they have done shit to stop it.

Lets see,
proprietary formats - it's their right to use whatever format they want; also 360 hard-drives are proprietary as well, back at ya
notoriously bad security - breachs happen, valve got breach, besathda got breach, even MS got breach some time in the past and Windows' source code got stolen.
Cell processor - calculated risk; you try something new there is always a risk it will not work out. But it honestly isn't that bad.
BluRay player into their PS3 - that's their decision; i don't see how you are affected; what are you so pissed about, you got a free bluray player and have all your games come on one disc; better than buy MS's HD-DVD addon which is now completely useless
utterly useless nature of the PSP (except for piracy) - LOL now you are really stretching it; at least it's more useful than the 360 HD-DVD addon
DualShock 3 into the controllers at first - business decision; they were being sued at the time over the rumble. I will give you this one, but it's not really a big deal IMO. It's just rumble.

The Move was just to cash in on motion control, they didn't put much effort in as you can tell. Good thing for them too, as the fad died around the time it came out. Unlike a certain other company that invest a shit ton in "motion control" that was released at about the same time and is still trying to sell it to us - even when most people don't want it.

I can't be assed to list what Sony has contributed. It's going to be wasted on you anyway.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
LiquidSolstice said:
I should also add that any Xbox user in here will be shocked to learn there actually isn't universal game chat on the PS3. Apparently (and I may have misread this) but due to the hardware of the PS3, it's actually on the game dev to enable voip within a game.
Ya, they messed up on that one.

But you are going off topic. This is a thread about the many failings of the 360 ... :)

Ayanle Mohamed

Feb 27, 2012
Hi, timid old me chiming in again, I just want to re-iterate that your experiences weren't, in fact, common occurrence and completely control your opinion.

All of us here have had different opinions because we've had different experiences with this items. And even then, they're still opinions, no more valid than anyone else's.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
It happens. I've had my Xbox RROD once, and another time I needed to replace the DVD drive. However, I've had the same xbox (well, newer dvd drive), since a year after initial release. It still works fine, and the only problem I'm having is finding a new cheap HDD because my original 12gb one is nearly full.

Jun 11, 2008
MrDeckard said:
Glademaster said:
MrDeckard said:
Doing the exact opposite does not make you any better than PC elitists just to put it out there. Seriously, if you actually take the time to look around you'll see there's so much shit on both sides and other people get sick of hearsay and rumors perpetuated by people who know nothing of the platform.

So I will agree on the PC notion gets annoying but so does bad anecdotal evidence that has been refuted many times but people refuse to believe it has been done so. There ways all platforms are superior and you cannot argue that the other is superior.
My point wasn't to be better, it was to sling some illiterate rambling shit the other way because it felt really, [i/]really[/i] good.

Alright, I'm getting out of this thread while I still can...

[image/]http://b.crazzy.se/fuck-this-thread-im-outta-here.jpg[/IMG]
Wow you really need to get out more.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Programmed_For_Damage said:
I might be in the minority but the PC gamers can keep their mods. There is a reason game developers generate content for their own games; it's because they're good at it. I haven't seen a mod yet that isn't in some way half-arsed or stands out from the original content like dog's balls.
I HATE those mods, but there's plenty that are great.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

^ Personal favorite. I couldn't play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. without it.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
In light of MS charging money for developers to release patches and DLC on their system, they are also providing them with a decent pirating protection service. People who go online with chipped xboxs and pirated games almost always get banned very quickly. So it's just easier to pay for games. I'll admit $40,000 does seem extreme, but when you think about how much money developers are losing in the PC market due to the extreme number of pirates, it's not that bad.

And besides, a business is a business, not a charity. We pay them for a service, simple as that.

And as people have already pointed out, you must be treating your consoles like garbage for them to break so easily, I suggest reading the little booklets that come with them to see how you are supposed to treat your console properly.

Oh yeah, and controllers? Stop throwing them.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
deadish said:
Sony was nice enough to warn about
I stopped reading there. I forgot I'm supposed to be bloody grateful that my console's online network is using stupidly incompetent online security standards and managed to lose pretty much it's entire "secure database" online, all because they were nice enough to warn us.

Lets see,
proprietary formats - it's their right to use whatever format they want; also 360 hard-drives are proprietary as well, back at
Yes, it is their right to use whatever they want. Which makes it retarded when they purposefully use proprietary Sony-only hardware ALL THE TIME, especially when it's not necessary. As pissed as I am about not being able to get a 500 GB hard drive into my 360, at least it's large enough that it doesn't matter; when the PSP came out and had woefully small storage, I was under the assumption my 8 GB SD card would work just fine.

Oh no no no, it MUST be Memory Stick.

...Pro

....Duo.

I will grant you that the PS3 has the (somewhat) redeeming feature of using your own hard drive provided you void your warranty and open it up.

notoriously bad security - breachs happen, valve got breach, besathda got breach, even MS got breach some time in the past and Windows' source code got stolen.
....so everyone else has had it once, that excuses it? Surely you know that Sony's security breaches were a hell of a lot larger than Bethesda's or Valve's...

And my god, I can't believe you just brought up the Windows source code leak. What was that, like 20, 25 years ago?

Cell processor - calculated risk; you try something new there is always a risk it will not work out. But it honestly isn't that bad.
There was nothing "calculated" about it. Sony wanted it. Game developers did not. Guess who won that battle? It's ok though, you can take a wild guess and figure out who's winning the battle now. (Hint; it's not Sony)

BluRay player into their PS3 - that's their decision; i don't see how you are affected; what are you so pissed about, you got a free bluray player and have all your games come on one disc; better than buy MS's HD-DVD addon which is now completely useless
It doesn't affect me. I was smart enough to not buy it on launch day. It did however affect the price. It seems you don't realize this, but you didn't get a "free" Blu-Ray player, it was very much factored into the price. It added two hundred dollars onto the price compared to the 360 at launch, so you were forced to pay the premium for a feature you might not used, a feature that required you to buy (at the time) very expensive BluRay discs.

Sony had been losing $200 per console produced, and that very, very slowly went down, and it took until 2010 before it finally stopped losing money on each PS3 produced. [http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/06/29/ps3-no-longer-sold-at-loss/]

How many multi-disk games do you know of anyway? I can think of Mass Effect 2, Battlefield 3, and Forza 3/4. I can't really think of anything else.

Who cares about HD-DVD? It didn't cost me extra in my console, can't say the same for the PS3, can I?

utterly useless nature of the PSP (except for piracy) - LOL now you are really stretching it; at least it's more useful than the 360 HD-DVD addon
Fact: The PSP was/is/always will be a pirate's paradise. It was uselessly designed (looking at you, analog nub), hopelessly marketed to a confused generation, used a (surprise surprise) proprietary UMD drive (not even MiniDisc, which would have made it somewhat flexible), and had few games worth playing.

I bet I can find more HD-DVD movies worth watching than there are PSP games worth playing. Want to know why? Because game developers stopped caring about it.

DualShock 3 into the controllers at first - business decision; they were being sued at the time over the rumble. I will give you this one, but it's not really a big deal IMO. It's just rumble.
Really? Have you ever played a shooter or a racing game with vibration off? It feels tinny and lifeless. People wanted their controller to vibrate when they get hit, not have some half-assed motion gizmo in their controller. But that's not the worst part. The worst part is that people had to go out and replace perfectly good controllers because Sony couldn't add in a basic feature in the first place.

The Move was just to cash in on motion control, they didn't put much effort in as you can tell. Good thing for them too, as the fad died around the time it came out. Unlike a certain other company that invest a shit ton in "motion control" that was released at about the same time and is still trying to sell it to us - even when most people don't want it.
You're deluded. Although I don't own a Kinect, I follow it's news. Here's some facts for you (that you obviously don't know)

In it's first 60 days of retail availability, the Kinect sold 8 million units [http://community.guinnessworldrecords.com/_Kinect-Confirmed-As-Fastest-Selling-Consumer-Electronics-Device/blog/3376939/7691.html], which is faster than the iPhone or the iPad in the same 60 days of launch. It also landed them a Guiness World Record. If that's not a sign that plenty of people want it (keeping in mind it costs $150), I don't know what it is.

But no, you still think that's wrong. That's ok. You're probably right, no one wants it. That's why it's sold 18 million units [http://www.1up.com/news/xbox-36-sales-66-million] as of January 2012 (12-13 months after it's November 2010 launch), which, to give you some relative perspective, is almost 30% of the lifetime PSP sales over the past 8 years (70 million).

The Playstation Move? It took 7 months from it's launch date to hit 8.8 million units sold, and Sony is too ashamed of its sales to give us anything more recent than June of 2011.

In the future, if you're going to make a claim like that, and you have such a vast fact-checking tool to confirm what you say, do yourself a fucking favor and actually look it up, mkay? The truth is you don't want it.

I can't be assed to list what Sony has contributed. It's going to be wasted on you anyway.
You mean you're terrified of bringing anything more than "BUT THEY DID IT TOO SO IS OK" because you know I'll rip it to pieces.

This was hilarious. We must do this dance again sometime.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
LiquidSolstice said:
Ya, they messed up on that one.

But you are going off topic. This is a thread about the many failings of the 360 ... :)[/quote]

Oh, I'm very much aware of Microsoft's failings when it comes to the Xbox. But that doesn't change my shock when I was asking my friend how I start a party at the XMB so we can all chat before starting the game and he replied "No, you have to start the game first".

Granted, you're right, my PS3 arguments don't really have a place in this thread.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
s69-5 said:
LiquidSolstice said:
I will grant you that the PS3 has the (somewhat) redeeming feature of using your own hard drive provided you void your warranty and open it up.
Is this for the slim? I have a Fat PS3 with a shiny 500Gb HD and no, it doesn't void the warranty (time did that already). It was in the instruction manuals for chrissake.

Edit: if any system needed death, it certainly isn't the 360. Yeah, it may have one of the worst failure rates and I would never stoop to buying a piece of garabage like that, but it doesn't need to die.
I was referring to the Slim.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
Programmed_For_Damage said:
I might be in the minority but the PC gamers can keep their mods. There is a reason game developers generate content for their own games; it's because they're good at it. I haven't seen a mod yet that isn't in some way half-arsed or stands out from the original content like dog's balls.

BTW I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your 360's. I've got three in the house (2 Pros and a 360S) and none of them have had any problems.
So have you ever heard of these games: Counter-Strike, Team Fortress 2, Nexuiz, Day of Defeat, Killing Floor, Dear Esther, and Red Orchestra?
All of them were mods. Not to mention multiple genres including DOTA's, Tower Defense Games were created as mods.
Even more than that, many mods have improved games significantly (HD packs), and some proved as the basis for many new games (Operation Desert Storm for Battlefield 2, Project something-or-other for Portal) and many many more.

Mods are the bread and butter for PC games. In fact, they are usually as good as many games due to their high production values with their constant innovation.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
s69-5 said:
LiquidSolstice said:
I was referring to the Slim.
And further investigation shows it doesn't void your warranty on the slim either...
I stand corrected then. A fully advantageous feature, then. (No mockery, being honest). I don't think it makes up for the rest of the system's failures, but it would be disingenuous to ignore a feature or not take responsibility for being wrong about it.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Fourth Xbox to die? That's it? I lost 7 of them to ROODs and the E74, now I just use my 360 controllers on my PC.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
MrDeckard said:
Holy wall of text, Batman!

Loved they way you took the time to type out format, and bold your response by the way...

I must say, you are a very impassioned person on this issue.

Alright, I'll be honest. I wrote my OP in a bit of a rage and it could have been far less dickish. Most of my points stand with a bit of rational adjusting... I just get sick of the "PC is better and that is a given" vibe that comes from these threads.

We REALLY need to stop these threads. I have yet to see one that hasn't devolved into at least vicious arguing if not a full fledged flamewar. [sub/]alliteration is fun...[/sub]
I don't know if threads on the topics of PCs or consoles should stop, but people jumping into any that crop up solely to bash one platform or another need to grow the hell up. That's the real problem.

I'm not so much impassioned, as you put it, as I am sick of hearing people argue on the whole thing. I've actually gone to the same lengths on other threads to defend consoles.

As for the wall of text, well...it was late. I was suffering from a severe bout of insomnia. And, I was bored out of my friggin' mind. (plus, just utterly sick of the argument) So I figured, instead of having some long, drawn out back-and-forth I'd just lay out all of my points at once. I'll grant I may have gone a bit overboard. Especially with the tone of condescension. (sorry 'bout that)

Still, I think we both agree the idiocy on either side, from those who are intent on bashing the other, has reached epic proportions.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
No, you don't. All software, be it games or operating systems, are licenses. You own the disc, and that is all you own ASIDE FROM THE LICENSE FOR THE SOFTWARE ON THE DISC. It's been that way for easily over 20 years, no amount of denial or disbelief is going to change that.
So...to put things differently, I own the gun, but I only have a 'license' for the bullets inside the magazine?

I'm curious how only having the contents of the disc 'licensed' even matters when you own the physical disc. I mean, it matters in the modern DRM era, but even then, owning the disc seems like a pretty big part of it. It sounds like all the license does is prevent you from replicating/profiting from it yourself. I mean, T-shirts are like that, too, if they've got a copyrighted logo on it.