Minecraft Is Finished

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I think having it reviewed by gaming sites will breed a lot of ill feelings , from what ive seen and heard, Minecraft is all about just making shit and exploring a vast empty world to find new places to make more shit.
Its not doubt good at what it does, but game reviewers will probably be rating it on things they expect a game to have, and that means theyll deduct points, i predict if it gets anything lower than a 8-9 then ill be able to hear the rage from the comfort of my own home

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
I think the only real improvement that Notch could do with minecraft is to get less insane fansboys.

And maybe add abit of direction to the game, I got it in Beta and once I'd built acouple massive things, did some 'One-life' questing and such, it gets pretty pointless.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Redlin5 said:
OT: Yay! Now continually make it more awesome like TF2 XD
God damn it, do you know what this implies?

HATS!

OT: Nice to see it's finally finished. Didn't Notch say that official mod support would come out soon after it was released? If so, we could see the Aether being officially approved by Mojang, and have it hopefully not break when the newer versions of the game come out.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
doggie015 said:
I wasn't going to reply... then this came up...
First of all, we apologize for the inconvenience of the ad. It is a company policy that ads do not obstruct content without a user interaction and that all expandabe ads that go into content have a close button. The pop up you saw was an error and has been reported to our ad server.

Second, in the future please direct those kinds of complaints to either the moderation or tech team feedback groups that can be found here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tech-Team

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Moderation-Team

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Good to see this thing finally gone gold.

Grey Carter said:
The end of the beta does Minecraft will now be sold for full price. If you want that 25% discount for purchasing the game during its extended beta, you've only got a couple of days left to come up with the ducats.
You're missing a word. "The end of the beta does mean Minecraft will now be sold for full price."

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I'm one of those dummies that didn't buy it back in alpha and early beta, and currently doesn't have enough money to buy it at the reduced price. I'll have to wait until they release it and pay full price, uguu~!

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Grey Carter said:
The end of the beta does Minecraft will now be sold for full price. If you want that 25% discount for purchasing the game during its extended beta, you've only got a couple of days left to come up with the ducats.
Correct me if I'm wrong... but I seem to recall the perk to buying it in the beta wasn't a discount. It was "You get a free copy at release."

Because I seem to recall thinking that I was paying for the game, not paying for a discount to the future release.

Milo Windby

Feb 12, 2010
I'm happy I got Minecraft while it was Alpha and 50% off.

Draconalis said:
Correct me if I'm wrong... but I seem to recall the perk to buying it in the beta wasn't a discount. It was "You get a free copy at release."

Because I seem to recall thinking that I was paying for the game, not paying for a discount to the future release.
If you got the game while its Beta (Or even Alpha) then you have the full game. Any updates are free as well.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
So, wait, do we have to pay again if we bought it in beta or not? And where do you get the newest version? My game is stuck at beta 1.8 and won't update.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
KarmaTheAlligator said:
So, wait, do we have to pay again if we bought it in beta or not? And where do you get the newest version? My game is stuck at beta 1.8 and won't update.
No, if you bought the game already, you don't have to buy it again. What he meant by discount is that buying it while it was in beta is 25% cheaper than buying it after release.

As for the update, 1.8 is the most recent official update. You can find the prereleases int the minecraft wiki, but it's hardly worth it since release version 1.0 goes live on the 18th.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Dr_Horrible said:
No, if you bought the game already, you don't have to buy it again.
I think that bears repeating. In large red letters.

If you bought the game already, you don't have to buy it again.

If you don't own it and you buy it now, you will get it for cheaper than if you buy it after Minecraft 1.0 comes out in less than two days.

And as a footnote:

If you bought during the Alpha phase, the Mojang license agreement stated you get all future updates for free. So you get all future updates for free.
If you bought during the Beta phase (25% off) or buy during the Release phase (full price), then major content updates might not be free, no one has decided yet. Notch has stated that bug fixes will remain free for everyone.

Gplars

Dec 23, 2009
i don't think he should worry if some critics do give it a bad score that is unfair and not justified they will be attacked and mauled by every mother fucker with pick ax and a dream

Tax_Document

Mar 13, 2011
Gplars said:
i don't think he should worry if some critics do give it a bad score that is unfair and not justified they will be attacked and mauled by every mother fucker with pick ax and a dream
This, my fellow companions, directly translate to.

"If someone gives this a bad score, the horde of prepubescent extremist fans will descend upon the site in a cyclone of angry words and tear-soaked messages."

If someone gives Minecraft a bad score it's completely justified as it's opinion, you don't have to agree with it.

Personally I'd give Minecraft a 6.5/10, fun for awhile but the glitches and bugs will soon ruin your experience.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Might be a stupid question but I haven´t played the game in quite a while now so just to be clear: Can I just continue playing my world and have all the 1.0 features, and also the new stuff from all the patches I missed, in there or do I have to start a new one?

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Dr_Horrible said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
No, if you bought the game already, you don't have to buy it again. What he meant by discount is that buying it while it was in beta is 25% cheaper than buying it after release.

As for the update, 1.8 is the most recent official update. You can find the prereleases int the minecraft wiki, but it's hardly worth it since release version 1.0 goes live on the 18th.
Right, I get it. Thanks a lot.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Dr_Horrible said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:

Right, I get it. Thanks a lot.
Happy to be of assistance.

Gplars

Dec 23, 2009
Tax_Document said:
Gplars said:
This, my fellow companions, directly translate to.

"If someone gives this a bad score, the horde of prepubescent extremist fans will descend upon the site in a cyclone of angry words and tear-soaked messages."

If someone gives Minecraft a bad score it's completely justified as it's opinion, you don't have to agree with it.

Personally I'd give Minecraft a 6.5/10, fun for awhile but the glitches and bugs will soon ruin your experience.
Ya i might give it 7.5 but you have a point its a great game with a lot of creative possibility but in a real sense it is very shallow experience.

Gloomsta

Oct 27, 2011
Grey Carter said:
While I don't think any journalist worth their salt will find much fault with Minecraft
Gaming journalism and critique isnt worth much salt at all.

Considering that COD gets critical acclaim for repeating itself....

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
Wow... and by "wow" I mean Meh.

Ignoring the question of graphics, Minecraft was interesting for a time. Much like sleeping upside down it was a new experience for an old concept. And much like sleeping upside down the more I played it the less and less feeling of accomplishment it gave me, and the more severe the headaches became as I realized I could just be sleeping in my comfy, horizontal bed. Followed by the bewilderment of people singing the inverted nap's praises from their perches, their faces engorged with blood. "But it was thought up by one guy[footnote]Play along, no argument regarding infiniminer is needed here[/footnote] and is totally innovative and a special little snowflake, not a massed produced bed like everyone else uses." And I might have played along with that, if Terraria hadn't come out, and Minecraft's various updates and patches didn't take months to produce and another month to iron out the fatal bugs. AAA companies become the bloated monstrosities that they are by occasionally allowing a glimmer of creativity and visionary drive to produce their products... which they subsequently milk to death, to the point that if the IP were a cow it's udder would be dragging on the ground 15' behind it. But for that one glimmering moment six, maybe up to even twenty-one[footnote]78% of all statistics and numerical figures are made up on the spot[/footnote] times a year you get to experience something with polish, intelligence, depth AND the creative spark.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Minecraft was made, good job to everyone at Mohjang. But it's still a game that would have fit in just as well between copies of Super Mario World and Tetris, as placed in descending order.

sinterklaas

Dec 6, 2010
Steve the Pocket said:
TimeLord said:
To me this really doesn't mean anything. Features will still be added and updates made. So no real difference from the current situation then.
Except, as far as we know, those new features will no longer be free unless you bought the game way back when it was in alpha. So basically this is just an arbitrary cutoff period for the lower price and free updates.

Personally, I have been kind of disappointed in the rather abrupt transition from Minecraft-as-a-creativity-toy-that-happens-to-contain-monsters to Minecraft-as-a-"real"-game-with-RPG-elements-and-boss-fights-and-an-"end". It all happened so suddenly that I can't help but suspect that Notch just suddenly changed his mind about what he wanted the game to be like, possibly after discovering Terraria, and rushed a major change to the arbitrary deadline he'd already set for himself.

I'm getting the feeling that the tradeoff for buying the game when it was cheaper is getting hooked on a game that's very different from the finished product and which I can never go back to now, unless someone who feels similarly and has more Java savvy than me decides to make a mod that basically adds the old "mode" back in as an option (with all the bug fixes and new block types still in place, of course).
These are exactly my thoughts on Minecraft. Minecraft completely went in the wrong direction for me, I wanted new lego blocks to play with, not rpg elements. Floodgates, lifts, mills, different size wooden planks, more trees, more food, more animals, etc you get the picture. I absolutely hate 1.8 and everything afterwards.

Coupled with the insane slowness which with updates came out made me hate Minecraft while I loved it before. I feel like the fame and money went to Notch's head and messed up his vision on the game. And now I'm sad because the game I thought Minecraft was going to be turns out to be a steaming pile of crap. Well, I had loads of fun and I'm very happy that Notch decided to make a game about lego blocks with monsters, but now it's over for me.