Minecraft: Video Game Violence's Latest Victim

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
If the kid had built a brick wall, and that wall had fallen and killed some one because the kid had no experience in building. Then fine. But the excuse given in that report is so dumb that it hurts.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
what are we blaming next? lego? it has swords. and guns! you could poke an eye out with those things!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ok first of all, while I've never played Minecraft, I'm pretty sure they use pickaxes and shovels to dig not hammers. And second of all this has to be the biggest leap in logic in the crusade against video games I've seen yet. I don't think even a faceplam is enough to cover this. Perhaps a nuclear facepalm.
EDIT:
Just to illustrate:
[http://s410.photobucket.com/user/canadiansaiyan/media/Nuclear-Facepalm_zps973df7c1.jpg.html]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Clowndoe said:
God forbid the guy has to do any parenting eh?
But...but...but I thought that's what games were for in the first place!

OT: Now I'm not up-to-date on my Minecraft patches...but I don't recall there ever being any guns introduced into the game. Pretty sure even the Mass Effect game mod uses re-skinned bows and arrows.

Gotta love Florida...Kansas might have the craziest legislature, but Florida's got the craziest citizens.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Diablo1099 said:
luckshot said:
yeah the minecraft blaming is pure retardation,
but the nra guy was refuring to the fact that soldiers are not allowed to be armed on bases, effectively turning them into gun free zones...until a lunatic brings some and starts shooting all the unarmed people
He didn't even say that, just that more guns were needed.
Shooting in an unarmed area: Needs more guns.
Shooting in an armed area: Needs more guns.

It's the fact that he doesn't give a shit, as far as his paymasters are concerned, the only answer involves getting more and more guns into the public so the gun manufactures can make more money, Via fear ("The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.") or by lobbying for policy change that involves lots of guns ("I call on Congress today to act immediately, to appropriate whatever is necessary to put armed police officers in every school...")

I don't care if you are Pro-Gun, that is a human shit stain if I ever saw one.
Nobody calls for more guns when a dozen people die in a mass shooting that happens in an armed area, you know why? Because the last time that many people died in a non gun free zone was 1966.

Forobryt

Dec 14, 2012
I'd be more worried as to how a 9 year old can have a freaking sledge hammer on him, plus other things, and actually be able to act like normal. Did his parents not notice him walking a bit weird in the morning?

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
So nothing to do with Daddy not securing his gun and ammo away so little brat can't get hold of it? Oh, no!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Forobryt said:
I'd be more worried as to how a 9 year old can have a freaking sledge hammer on him, plus other things, and actually be able to act like normal. Did his parents not notice him walking a bit weird in the morning?
Of course not, he had them stored in his hotbar, and you can't see those things until you equip them.

He got the idea from Minecraft.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
my patience for this bullshit is wearing painfully thin. retaliation when you're backed into a corner only reinforces the stereotype, but what options are they leaving open? they're funneling things this way deliberately. they want it to happen. the only alternative is to be trampled to death. who wouldn't defend themselves?
they win either way.
humans are so manipulative and vile.
i can't stand them.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Requia said:
Nobody calls for more guns when a dozen people die in a mass shooting that happens in an armed area, you know why? Because the last time that many people died in a non gun free zone was 1966.
Alright, before I say this, I was kinda in a foul mood after putting up that last post, just this shit really burns me up inside.

Still, that's what LaPierre said:

Huffington Post Story said:
When LaPierre was reminded that there were armed guards at the scene, he replied that there simply weren't enough, "How could anybody look at what happened this week and say there was enough security there?"
Link (This quote is in the middle of the article)

It not about safety for these people, it's about selling more and more guns to keep this cycle of violence going.
And I'll stop here, I've derailed this thread enough.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Eve Charm said:
You know what I see it. It's a kid so out of touch with reality thanks to horrible parenting that he bought weapons to school to defend against the creepers or whatever...

This is what happens when kids are left to video games and tv to raise them instead of their parents actually giving a damn.
What scares me is this may actually be true. There could well be some new kind of schizophrenia on the rise thanks to such disgustingly rampant irresponsibility.

Also of all the more reasonable titles to blame (i.e. anything that has actual GUNS in them), why Minecraft?

"Use hammers to dig and guns to defend against zombies"? Hammers don't even exist, you use picks to mine, and swords, bows or if you're a fancypants a block of TNT, to kill enemies. Hoping Notch comes out with a statement to criticize the fuck out of this old shithead.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
sky14kemea said:
Oh yeah, I totally remember the time I met up with Johnny the NPC in Minecraft and we had to shoot our way through the local shopping district in order to obtain better materials for our mining gear.

No. Nooooo. I'm sorry but that's just loopy. That's like saying Barbie dolls cause cannibalism. (I've seen some weird shit, guys.)

I actually had the urge to hit my head on the desk when I read that. It boggles my mind. I'm laughing and crying at the same time. I'm lying craughing.

Barbie dolls DO cause cannibalism!!

It starts off with the urge to be as thin as the dolls.....so the children don't eat, or eat very little. Eventually their bodies start to starve and the urge to eat becomes greater and greater. Then they see all these other kids eating all the food they want and they get ANGRY!!! The urge to eat, the anger and desperation all combine to cause them to start eating each other.

I hear it happens all the time in LA.

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
how the FUCK did he get a gun? that's the real question, instead of blaming the game the kids play, blame the freaking parents for not keeping their firearms and their dangerous tools out of the reach of their child

and Minecraft? seriously, if i had kids, Minecraft would be the one game i would have no qualms about letting them play, it's not bloody or gory, it has very simple graphics, easy to disassociate with real life, and it's goals are constructive instead of destructive, it's a game that encourages creativity. sure you can have bows, arrow and swords, but if the parents were competent in teaching their child they would be have made it pretty clear about what is and isn't acceptable in the real world.

also, there are no guns hammers or knives in Minecraft

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011

I just... I just...
UCH! The idiocy of people seems to suprise me more and more. And I'm an optimist!
Just... ugh.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...I...WHAT?! Are we really THAT stupid when it comes to such things?!?

...God I wanna punch something now...

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Hope the dad gets charged with criminal negligence over the handgun and ammo (assuming they're his). The rest of it is a lot less than I did when I was nine... but a nine year old getting access to a handgun is absolutely negligent on the owner's part.

As for Minecraft... that is the stupidest accusation I've ever heard. That smacks of the desperate reaching of a guilty man.

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
OH! I KNOW! What they're doing is blaming it on something so batshit ridiculous that next time they blame it on GTA or CoD gamers won't be annoyed because at least those games have guns in them! Master stroke of genius!

But, seriously, I'm a stubborn bastard and go to some pretty stupid arguments occasionally just so I don't concede victory in debates to my friends, but there's a point where I do stop and admit I'm wrong. The part where I've got to blame minecraft of all things for bringing weapons to school is probably way farther than I'd ever take it if I was debating against games. I'm divided in three: The part that's really angry at the stupidity, the part that respects their commitment to their argument however idiotic it may be, and the part that can't stop laughing and is making typing this really tough.