Minecraft's Deadly New Ghasts Will Burn You

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
ahh damn I need 7 obsidian blocks to make a portal, well better start mining it :s

First thing I gotta try when it comes is try survive down in hell just alone, should be a fun challenge.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I can imagine it now...

Dum, dum, dum, digging out Iron... wait, I think my beef is done, better go get it!

*Opens portal*

OH GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD IF THEIR IS THIS MUCH SUFFERING AND SIN, OH GOD PLEASE HELP M-

*Goes through other Portal*

Yeah, my meal is done! :D

emerald2142

Oct 1, 2009
Vanguard1219 said:
Here's something that I've been wondering: can Ghasts and other "Hell" mobs travel through portals into the "real" dimension? I know that nothing definite about that subject has been said (if anything), but I'm curious if it'll be a potential danger of building one of these portals in the first place.
Yeah really, imagine placing your first portal inside your house to realize the other side is under a lake of lava

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
Well, at least they aren't the planned 'Weepong Angel' like monster. Though that said they look kind of stupid with their mouths open like that.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
YES! Envoriments! That's what I really wanted in Minecraft.

Love you, Notch.

Also, THANK GOD it's hell world only, since the upper layer of my house is built out of wood and glass.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Awesome! It's like Minecraft plus Doom and Portal! The single best game ever has arrived!

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
I'd make a portal house at the spawn point so I can quickly get back to my base if I die... I lost my first mine :([/quote] This portal Doesn't sound like it would be good to use just after losing all your items.

Knife-28 said:
Well, at least they aren't the planned 'Weepong Angel' like monster. Though taht said they look kind of stupid with their mouths open like that.
There was a planned "Weeping Angel" like monster? BUT THAT SOUNDS AWESOME! I thought I was the only one who thought that would be fun but it seem I am proved wrong. Or maybe that creature is in the update, and notch isn't letting on. That would be a real trick... and a real treat. After all why tell people a weeping angel like monster is in the game? The whole point is that you would start to wonder if something is following you.

Also I advise you look at the picture of those creatures a little closer. They have marks down their faces where tears have rolled down in endless engulfing suffering. Thats not kinda stupid, that's Fucked Up.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Someone's gonna go in there and craft a gate going the other way, and then all hell shall break loose!

Aeriath said:
It's come a long way from Creative =D.

The portals sound like they might be able to be built to different sizes. Anyone want to build a Stargate?
Get a bunch of you together to build and maintain a permanent portal system. You could even get people to pay for it. An in-minecraft business opportunity.

But hey, I've not played it, perhaps that isn't feasible.

Physics Engine

Aug 18, 2010
SachielOne said:
On the plus side, I already had an obsidian gate prepared. On the other hand, we'll probably need to create a new world in order to get a lot of the new stuff.
I'm pretty sure you won't have to start a new save, though to get the new biomes you will need to travel to a new area so new 'chunks' can be rendered to see them. At least know that all torches placed before the update (no matter where, even if they're in your inventory) will be replaced with lanterns so you don't have to go and relight all your torches come the 31st. So no, you won't have to start a new world. I'm not sure if any save games could be corrupted by the update, Notch says it won't, but sometimes it happens.

There's a list of all the actual things Notch said regarding the Halloween update here [http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1016&t=56584] on the minecraft forums. The thread doesn't answer any burning questions like the crafting pattern for a lantern (though I'm pretty sure it includes the ever-burning red rocks seen in the pic above) or even what's up with fishing yet.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
I cannot freakin' wait for this update.

Is there an official release date, or are we just gonna get it when we get it? (Or did you literally mean that it'll come on Halloween? :p)
It comes out on Halloween.
You can check his blog for any more updates.

Anyways: I'm looking forward to it!

zwober

Nov 20, 2009
TitanAtlas said:
It's good to see that now theres a region that your character goes to after he dies..... xD
that´s because we kill to many sheep / cows and pigs.
we are all murderurs. *gollum, gollum* muuuurdeeeruuurrs..

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I'm curious if it will be like some here are thinking that you just build 2 gates and they are linked, or if its like an overlay so you can actually see the real world terrain zipping by. It would such to pop out in a wall etc like some hyperspace noob.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
I cannot freakin' wait for this update.

Is there an official release date, or are we just gonna get it when we get it? (Or did you literally mean that it'll come on Halloween? :p)
Officially, the release date is 31st October.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Vanguard1219 said:
Here's something that I've been wondering: can Ghasts and other "Hell" mobs travel through portals into the "real" dimension? I know that nothing definite about that subject has been said (if anything), but I'm curious if it'll be a potential danger of building one of these portals in the first place.
Who knows. It would be annoying to come home to find it full of ghosts. Maybe Redstone torches will keep them away? (Absolute total guess)

Either way having a portal to hell in your house is rarely a good idea. I wonder if you'd be able to build in Hell so you could make a glass walkway between your bases to keep Ghasts away.

If this worked in real life would you use it?