Minecraft's Deadly New Ghasts Will Burn You

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Magnalian said:
Wait a minute...

- Torches can now go out, only lanterns saty lit forever.
- The fires in the hell region won't die out naturally.

Does this mean I'll have to build at least one gate out of obsidian before my mines are safe again? Well, shit.
On an old map: No. I gather the torch ID number is being given over to lanterns so they autoconvert.
On a new map: I guess so! Unless there another way to make lanterns. (Or unless the lanterns don't require Hell material at all. That's just a guess at this point.) This could be either good or bad depending on the details like burnout time, if the burned-out torches still have SOME glow, frequency of diamond....

Spent today mining like mad (grabbing all the coal I could - if my plan works I should have about four large chests of lanterns post-transition) and bringing some lava up for obsidian farming. I also built two entry gates (bit of a gamble there, since I'm assuming the preliminary info is accurate) at the ends of my current long horizontal run. I'm going to try activating both gates before passing through, to see if both gates get dropped into Hell properly. Gonna back up my map first though! Gotta be a good alpha tester and try breaking the thing, right?:>)

One thing for the farmers out there who intend to build an obsidian gate: If you know where the gate is going (as in the entry gate), farm the obsidian in the shape of the gate in place. Save you having to use a pick on it. (I did a 4x5 solid block and then picked out the 2x3 centre area for use on a gate I can't farm in place.)

Oh, that's funny. On the MP3 player right now, Pet Shop Boys, "Closer to Heaven". (It contains the lines "Never been closer to heaven / Never been further away".)

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
To see one man be so successful at such a fun game, I can't wait to see where it heads. Glad I brought it while its in Alpha for $15. :D

Calderon0311

May 9, 2009
Looking forward to this, but I've only found ->1<- diamond this whole time in my world... I could just make the gate free standing, but I'm more worried about the tools I'll need down there...

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Calderon0311 said:
Looking forward to this, but I've only found ->1<- diamond this whole time in my world... I could just make the gate free standing, but I'm more worried about the tools I'll need down there...
EDIT: Let's try with a POST this time, shall we?

I caught a diamond-poor world my first time, though not that bad! I doubt that Hell will require anything special at least for the normal blocks. And I doubt that many of the specials will need much more than iron tools.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
And really, flaming obsidian is an awesome way to travel anywhere. Ooh ooh, and can you fling yourself through Hell portals?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
subject_87 said:
And really, flaming obsidian is an awesome way to travel anywhere. Ooh ooh, and can you fling yourself through Hell portals?
F-f-f-fling yourself? Apparently minecarts can't traverse the portal, but I don't know if that's a track issue or a momentum stopping issue or just a minecart thing. If momentum, then you'd lose your speed the second you passed through.

Calderon0311

May 9, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
subject_87 said:
F-f-f-fling yourself? Apparently minecarts can't traverse the portal, but I don't know if that's a track issue or a momentum stopping issue or just a minecart thing. If momentum, then you'd lose your speed the second you passed through.
With a strong enough Booster system, you can technicly push a cart far enough to go over un-tracked ground. Granted, you my hit the South/east Bug once you're off the track though...

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Calderon0311 said:
With a strong enough Booster system, you can technicly push a cart far enough to go over un-tracked ground. Granted, you my hit the South/east Bug once you're off the track though...
So, get 73 TNT blocks and a minecart and set it up RIGHT in front of the gate....

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I love every single aspect of this... except for the word "Ghast". It's a combination of a really bad pun and a really good typo.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Scared to fuck of those things, but I'm psyched about Hell. Even if it is more dangerous, I could definitely use a hyperspace system to navigate. Right now I use underground tunnels and a stone skyway to get from one of my bases to another, and it easily takes minutes to get between them.

Calderon0311

May 9, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
Calderon0311 said:
So, get 73 TNT blocks and a minecart and set it up RIGHT in front of the gate....
Actually, I think that's the formula to go back to 1955' . . .

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Calderon0311 said:
Actually, I think that's the formula to go back to 1955' . . .
It's the formula to do something [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeV0XB-w_yM&feature=player_embedded], that's for sure.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
jonnosferatu said:
I wonder if it could be executed for human launch if he used more TNT...
Here's the result [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSaGG0CmEfQ&feature=related] of the 73 launching someone.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Vanguard1219 said:
Here's something that I've been wondering: can Ghasts and other "Hell" mobs travel through portals into the "real" dimension? I know that nothing definite about that subject has been said (if anything), but I'm curious if it'll be a potential danger of building one of these portals in the first place.
That would be... positively terrifying. As it is, I'm still scared of whatever things go bump in the night in the real world: I'm still a minecraft noob and I'm trying not too look everything up online and survive by word of mouth.

Man, this sounds like what the Oblivion gates should have been (not that that wasn't an awesome game in it's own right).

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
jonnosferatu said:
I wonder if it could be executed for human launch if he used more TNT...
Here's the result [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSaGG0CmEfQ&feature=related] of the 73 launching someone.
Hence my wondering about the effects of more TNT.

It's possible the game stopped him manually, but still.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
So looking forward to this update, I'm so sad I've even pre-made my Portal safe room, just in case those pesky ghasts try to burn my sky scraper..

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
ranger19 said:
That would be... positively terrifying. As it is, I'm still scared of whatever things go bump in the night in the real world: I'm still a minecraft noob and I'm trying not too look everything up online and survive by word of mouth.
Okay. Don't build a Hell portal, then.:) From what I heard: Mobs can't pass through (so you won't find pigs roaming about Hell I guess) but a Hell portal DOES allow for Hell critters to spawn in the area around the normal-world portal. Whether they have to obey normal-world spawn rules or Hell spawn rules (which are different) I have no idea.

jonnosferatu said:
It's possible the game stopped him manually, but still.
He probably hit the ceiling.