Miscellaneous Fallout 4 Questions.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Elfgore said:
-I hate to break this to you Zhukov, you won't be seeing Dogmeat again. H... He's lost in that big, vast wasteland. Same thing happened to me on my first character.
Nah, this is wrong. He hangs around doghouses rather than with the other settlement NPCs.
Besides, (for PC players) if worst comes to worst, you can just re-summon him again with the console command:

"1d162".moveto player

... and he'll reappear right next to you.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
Casual Shinji said:
I got to a hallway filled from top to bottom with like a hundred laser sensors, that I decided on deactivating one at a time. Then Dogmeat just runs right into the middle of them and gets blasted by three laser turrets. He's an idiot, but I simply need his inventory space.
Is this you?

http://imgur.com/gallery/6Z9PbRq

I didn't even realize the dog HAD inventory space. How much can he carry? Where is he carrying it?

Since he doesn't count as a companion for the lone wanderer perk, I presumed the punishment was you couldn't use him as a pack mule.
I believe he can carry about 150 pounds of whatever crap you need him to carry. But yeah, pack mule and distraction are the only thing I use him for. He's annoying and useless otherwise.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
-You need a minimum of 8 settlements to fire of some of the late game minutemen quests if you go their route, other then that...Can't really think of any reason.

-As far as i know, 1 quest by companion, and even then they don't all seem to have one.

-Codsworth being one of those exceptions it seems.

-If he isn't at settlement you sent him too, then seems theres a bug afoot. I've seen other people reporting missing dogmeat in steam forums so might be a fix floating around somewhere. Otherwise there's the console command given a few posts up.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
- Is there any point or reward to the base building stuff?
Adhesive, free food, and this games version of the Satellite laser from New Vegas are all tied to settlements. Besides that and a few quest, no.

And, for the quest, all that matters is the number of settlements, not who's in them (As far as I can tell). So you can do the Minutemen quest to get new settlements, and turn off the settlement beacons as soon as their complete so you don;t have to actually deal with them, and that seems to work.

Corey Schaff said:
Does anyone know if there's a way to still trade with a merchant in a location that's joined your settlements, or are they gone forever? Really bummed that after completing the Minutemen Quest that lets you get Abernathy Farm to join the Minutemen, I can seemingly no longer sell stuff at Abernathy Farm, or purchase concrete shipments, because the activate button just allows me to access their personal inventory now and nothing else.

EDIT: Seems like it shouldn't be the case if so, since she was supposed to give me a discount on merchandise as a reward for returning her daughter's locket.
Are you sure you're not talking to the daughter? The farm is part of the Minutemen for me now, and I did the locket quest, and the mother will still sell to me.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
AccursedTheory said:
So you can do the Minutemen quest to get new settlements, and turn off the settlement beacons as soon as their complete so you don;t have to actually deal with them, and that seems to work.
I tried that, but the people still spawned off-screen anyway. Although perhaps I wasn't quick enough, I dunno.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Zhukov said:
Just some stuff that I've been wondering about:

- Is there any point or reward to the base building stuff?
I did what was required for the building tutorial mission, then just dropped it. It feels like Minecraft to me: amazing possibilities but no reason to actually enact them.
Well for one, the settlements will be randomly attacked, and if you don't build up sufficient defenses to help in the protection, you can and will lose the settlements. I ran into this while running along, and got a notice that I failed the "defended ten-pines settlement" quest. Which was odd to me, as it wasn't one I currently had. However when I went over there, apparently a roaming super mutant squad came in and suicide nuked the place. Oddly enough, the 4 settlers were still there, but it showed them as not for a few minutes. *shrugs*

Zhukov said:
- Do companions give you more than one quest each?
I tried the Minuteman guy, but he was a do-gooder who kept pouting every time I stole some unattended drugs or demanded payment for risking life and limb. Then I tried the reporter lass, who had a more flexible attitude towards property laws but still objected to my mercenary ways. Eventually ended up with Cait. Finally, someone who appreciates theft, sarcasm and drug-fueled rampages. Stuck with her long enough to get a quest from her. (Haven't done it yet because it's clean across the map.) Will there be more after that or would I be better served trying to make nice with one of the others?
I have no idea, I've been running with Dogmeat exclusively, because I just love the little bugger. xD

Zhukov said:
- Does Codsworth give you a quest at all?
I'm not sure, but I was curious about having him as a companion when I go to that one community run by nothing but robots. I suspect (but have no confirmation) that he will probably react to that community specifically, given the fact that he's a robot like them. I bet that if he does have a mission for you, it's likely tied to that place. Or at least maybe starts there. *shrugs*

Zhukov said:
- Where can I find Dogmeat after using another companion?
He isn't at the settlement I sent him to, nor at the spot I first found him. Is there somewhere in particular he goes when you dismiss him?
If you are using a PC, you can find him with console command:
prid 0001d162
moveto player

I use this all the time because quite frankly, as much as I love the game, the pathing for the companions can really suck. And if you've gone sprinting across the wasteland in a mad dash through hostile territory, it's REAALLY easy for your friend to get stuck somewhere. And no amount of zone loading will fix it.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Look up console commands if you're using a PC. Find his ID and you can teleport to him or teleport him to you if you really think he's lost.

If you sent him to Sanctuary hills, there are 3 or 4 doghouses there. For me, he was in the east most one.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
If you are using a PC, you can find him with console command:
prid 0001d162
moveto player
Yes, this has already been suggested (by me). But a couple of pet peeves here:

-Leading zeros are not required. You're literally typing those extra characters for no reason.
-You can combine this into one command (instead of two), as so:

"1d162".moveto player

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Zhukov said:
My major complaint is that they seem to have their own stealth stats rather than being tied to yours. So they can break stealth, and they will. All the fucking time. That and block you in doorways.
As much as I like Curie, she is just so damn noisy. I have a hard time sneaking while she's my companion.

Hell, Cait is less noisy than her.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Random question. Does anyone know how to, in the settlement building stuff, to string up a series of bulbs directly to a cord or wire? I've seen examples of it on various in game structures, where the bulbs are glowing, and are hanging from wires, strung up along a building. But I don't know how to accomplish that, if you even can. Does anyone know how this works?

capcha: construction ahead Why yes, lots of annoying fiddly construction.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
IceForce said:
AccursedTheory said:
So you can do the Minutemen quest to get new settlements, and turn off the settlement beacons as soon as their complete so you don;t have to actually deal with them, and that seems to work.
I tried that, but the people still spawned off-screen anyway. Although perhaps I wasn't quick enough, I dunno.
A few will show up, but they don't seem to get attacked. I'm 20 hours in (Just got to Diamond City), and the only places that ever get attacked are the ones that were already established and have stuff. The 'empty' ones don't seem to get attacked.

Elfgore said:
Question for ya'll. Has everyone else had a tough time finding duct tape and other adhesive stuff? The game and several other players seem to make it sound like this shit is rare as hell. Yet I'm drowning in all of the wonderglue and duct tape I've found.
Adhesive is the rarest thing in the game that's commonly used. It's even mentioned in one of the loading screen tips as such.

Eventually, though, you'll start building up a surplus. I had problems with it for a long time, but I finally got the 6 weapons I like and stopped upgrading my power armor (I don't know whether I should do my 45, 60, or 61 set, and haven't gotten around to researching them), and now I have about 150 of them.

But if you're upgrading everything you can get your hands on and still have a ton of it, then yes, you are lucky, and I hate you.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
IceForce said:
AccursedTheory said:
A few will show up, but they don't seem to get attacked. I'm 20 hours in (Just got to Diamond City), and the only places that ever get attacked are the ones that were already established and have stuff. The 'empty' ones don't seem to get attacked.
Yeah, I have several empty communities, and nobody messes with them at all.

Elfgore said:
Question for ya'll. Has everyone else had a tough time finding duct tape and other adhesive stuff? The game and several other players seem to make it sound like this shit is rare as hell. Yet I'm drowning in all of the wonderglue and duct tape I've found.
AccursedTheory said:
Adhesive is the rarest thing in the game that's commonly used. It's even mentioned in one of the loading screen tips as such.

Eventually, though, you'll start building up a surplus. I had problems with it for a long time, but I finally got the 6 weapons I like and stopped upgrading my power armor (I don't know whether I should do my 45, 60, or 61 set, and haven't gotten around to researching them), and now I have about 150 of them.

But if you're upgrading everything you can get your hands on and still have a ton of it, then yes, you are lucky, and I hate you.
Look into farming. You can make homegrown adhesive with the cooking station. The Utility recipe of Vegetable Starch, is basically a quick and easy way to make 5 adhesive per creation. And it doesn't take much. It takes 1 unit of 3 different vegetables, which you can easily get in large quantities with a little farming. And 1 unit of Purified Water. I've got tons of that stuff somehow, so it's not really an issue. Adhesive really isn't a crafting hurdle for me any longer.

Related question now that I think about it. Do the supplies your communities make actually get stored in the workshop? For example you have a surplus of water and food, do the people automatically store those? Because one day I went to my station and noticed I had 75 units of Purified Water, and I don't recall gathering that much of it. I mean, maybe I did and it just accumulated? But I noticed the large amount after I made a water purification system for Sanctuary, and was curious if perhaps it's stockpiling the stuff on my behalf. Can anyone confirm/deny if this is the case for supplies created by settlements?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
Related question now that I think about it. Do the supplies your communities make actually get stored in the workshop? For example you have a surplus of water and food, do the people automatically store those? Because one day I went to my station and noticed I had 75 units of Purified Water, and I don't recall gathering that much of it. I mean, maybe I did and it just accumulated? But I noticed the large amount after I made a water purification system for Sanctuary, and was curious if perhaps it's stockpiling the stuff on my behalf. Can anyone confirm/deny if this is the case for supplies created by settlements?
I just went to the hometown and checked, and I have Purified Water. I know for a fact I cleaned that place out, so I guess the answer is yes.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
Happyninja42 said:
I just went to the hometown and checked, and I have Purified Water. I know for a fact I cleaned that place out, so I guess the answer is yes.
Sweet. I know I saw a tip in game that said something roughly "Communities linked by supply lines will share food and water", but I wasn't sure if this would actually accumulate supplies for you. However, if this is true, which it seems it is, then that means it's super easy to make adhesive. Everyone, go find the 3 crops that you need to make Vegetable Stock, and plant a ton of it. Then make sure you have surplus water to save up Purified Water. Boom, your adhesive worries are over.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Oh! Not really a question, but a bit of random information that I never noticed until yesterday about your settlers. You can reassign them manually to different communities. I found this out because I had 2 different settlements running recruitment messages 24/7 for like over a week of in game time, and still nobody would ever show up. (Seriously is this a bug perhaps? The towers just didn't seem to work at those spots, even when confirmed to be ON and transmitting).

So I noticed I could just send people from my populated towns to the other locations. Which was awesome. So yeah, just FYI xD

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
Random question. Does anyone know how to, in the settlement building stuff, to string up a series of bulbs directly to a cord or wire? I've seen examples of it on various in game structures, where the bulbs are glowing, and are hanging from wires, strung up along a building. But I don't know how to accomplish that, if you even can. Does anyone know how this works?

capcha: construction ahead Why yes, lots of annoying fiddly construction.
For light sources you just need a source of power to be nearby for them to light up. So hanging a bunch of conductors along your wall with copper wire running between them should light most of them up. Any that don't might need to be moved around.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
For the most part the settlements are very much like Minecraft.

Now you will probably want to to select one settlement as your personal hub in order store weapons and armor and to mod stuff. I find the Red Rocket Station outside Sanctuary to be the best spot since it already has pretty much every workstation you will need. All you really need to do is set up some turrets to defend the place from attacks.

Apart from some missions related to settlements the only other incentive I can think of for investing in settlements is getting the materials for vegetable starch. If you work on armor and weapon mods a lot then you are probably constantly running low on adhesive (which is supposedly rare). Vegetable starch can be broken down into five adhesives.

Vegetable starch costs
1 purified water
3 corn
3 multi fruit
3 tatos

So basically choose a settlement where you can plant a ton of crops and is also located near a natural water source. I found that Sanctuary fits the bill pretty well.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
So, how are people finding the stealth? Because for me personally, it seems that Sneak is wayyy overpowered (much like it was in Skyrim). Once you put a few ranks into the Sneak perk, you're pretty much undetectable (with the only exceptions being if you're sneaking outside during the day in broad daylight, or if you're trying to hide from a flying enemy such as a Vertibird). Stealth Boys aren't even needed.

I'm not wearing power armor, though. I imagine stomping around in that getup like a Big Daddy would rather hamper your efforts at stealth. (I could be wrong, though.)

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
My question is about the the defenses. Does anyone ever raid your settlements? I like the idea of having to periodically defend your settlement from attack, but I'm not sure how that would work. I mean, sure, that missile turret looks pretty nifty, but am I ever going to need it?

If not, I'm sure they could always improve it in future games. They've made so many changes with this title, I don't expect them to get everything perfect right out of the gate. People complain about AAA games not innovating, but then complain when a series tries to improve the formula.