Miyamoto Wishes Star Fox Was More Popular

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Miyamoto Wishes Star Fox Was More Popular

Legendary designer Shigeru Miyamoto wishes that the Star Fox series got more love and attention - especially in his native Japan.

If you play video games more than "on occasion," you probably know who Shigeru Miyamoto is. The father of Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda, Miyamoto has defined Nintendo - and the gamers who grew up with it - since the 1980s. He by MTV Multiplayer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92243-Miyamoto-Blizzard-Bethesda-Get-Guinness-Records] if he had ever been underwhelmed by gamer support for his games, Miyamoto expressed disappointment in the reception of the Star Fox games as of late:

[blockquote]I tend to forget [games I was disappointed in] *laughs*. I'm a big fan of the Star Fox games. Every time we make a Star Fox game I'm hoping people will enjoy it as much as I do. Of course the goal every time is to try and make it more and more fun but, at least in Japan, the people that purchase the Star Fox games has decreased over the years. But we still try to make them more fun and hopefully people will see the appeal in those games.[/blockquote]

You know what, Miyamoto-san? I see where you're coming from, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that perhaps the Star Fox series is underperforming because it hasn't had a good game since 19-freakin'-97! Gamers want to fly in an Arwing, use the boost to get through and do a barrel roll - they don't want to play some lame-ass on-foot platforming.

Give us another game where you're in a ship. The entire time. If you must put us on land, put us in a Landmaster tank. In short: Make a Star Fox game that doesn't suck, Miyamoto-san, and you might see the fans coming back to it.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Dear Nintendo,
If you wish for people to enjoy Star Fox....
*cough*
RELEASE MORE BLEEDIN' GAMES THEN.
Thank you.

Sorry, not seen one since Star Fox: Command, and then don't forget Star Fox: Assault, in the EU at least, was damn hard to get.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
heh. 1997. what a year.
and it's StarFox.
as in, A Fox, in Space. that's two kinds of awesome.

also...

CantFaketheFunk said:
-snip-
When asked by MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/10/27/mario-creator-talks-disappointment-with-star-fox/] if he had ever been underwhelmed by gamer support for his gamers
underwhelmed by gamer support for his gamers? :p
well, it could make sense, but my mechanicus sense is tingling.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
You know what, Miyamoto-san? I see where you're coming from, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that perhaps the Star Fox series is underperforming because it hasn't had a good game since 19-freakin'-97! Gamers want to fly in an Arwing, use the boost to get through and do a barrel roll - they don't want to play some lame-ass on-foot platforming.

Give us another game where you're in a ship. The entire time. If you must put us on land, put us in a Landmaster tank. In short: Make a Star Fox game that doesn't suck, Miyamoto-san, and you might see the fans coming back to it.
Um, not really much reason for a thread here. YOu've said it all friend, you've said it all. I can still play the ezroute of starfox to completion with my eyes closed.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Greyfox105 said:
heh. 1997. what a year.
and it's StarFox.
as in, A Fox, in Space. that's two kinds of awesome.

also...

CantFaketheFunk said:
-snip-
When asked by MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/10/27/mario-creator-talks-disappointment-with-star-fox/] if he had ever been underwhelmed by gamer support for his gamers
underwhelmed by gamer support for his gamers? :p
well, it could make sense, but my mechanicus sense is tingling.
Typo sense, more like :p

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I'd love to see Nintendo go back to Star Fox's roots, that is one of my favorite SNES games. The last game in the series I cared about was Star Fox 64, and that was even a little bit of a disappointment to me because it was a remake, not a direct sequel(I also really, really, missed the original theme song). I'm still bitter to this day that they canceled Star Fox 2, the game was pretty much finished and ready for release. Yeah, I could play it on an emulator, but I hate emulators with a passion(especially SNES emulators).

jazzkid212

Aug 30, 2009
everyone loved the original and 64 they were fun its just they went and decided a working formula was a bad idea remake 64 with more levels enemies and weapons and you will sell tons of them

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Maybe it's just me, I've only played the Nintendo 64 version of it, called Starfox(nothing else) and that game was the vagina in my gaming-sex metaphor without it I would just be standing there gesturing at nothing, with a nice controller in my hand.. maybe we have different views on what sex is... Don't judge me...

Kellerb

Jan 20, 2009
i think if the game told us to do a barrel roll less, people would like it more.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Star Fox IS popular. It just needs to find a way to adapt to this new era of gaming.

I have faith that Nintendo will succeed in this endeavor.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
If only they'd release original StarFox gameplay in StarFox, I might actually support it. As for right now, its like the worst of their platforming games they tend to release...

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
I liked Star Fox Adventures quite much. I haven't played the other games, but It was a good game for me.

Jun 6, 2009
Dear Miyamoto.

Kill Slippy.
Get more epic battles involved with THE ENTIRE CORNERIAN ARMY. (I'ts a freaking planet and there is only you...)
Stop crowbarring Krystal as a love intrest.

Then I would buy another Starfox game.

(Starfox Assault was great honestly)

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
Sorry Miyamoto, I don't buy your love after you made Rare make their own game and they were forced to crowbar one of their own into the skin of Starfox.

And I know you're all buddies with Namco, but how about your OWN company makes Star Fox? Command was good, but I wanna use the Wii Remote like a flight stick now, please.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Star Fox is one of those brands that has declining quality.

Star Fox: Okay rail shooter.
Star Fox 64: More of the same which is also a remake. And also the Landmaster Tank.
Star Fox Adventurers: Why does this feels like Zelda and not much of a rail shooter? Oh right, it was previously Dinosaur Planet.
Star Fox Assault: Samey shooter except you are also on foot killing things.
Star Fox Command: Didn't have DS.

Or, do what other reviewers do for every Star Fox game which is place Fox McCloud in the Arwing, lock him inside and throw away the key.

Seriin

Jun 4, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:

Does no one else see this as setting oneself up for a fall? IF Nintendo made another Starfox game where you were in the ship the whole time, the gamers would complain that it was SF64 all over again. The problem with the Star Fox franchise is that it has no where to expand to. You can make more of what was good, but then it will be dubbed "the same thing as before". You try and do something different and you've got "it was changed, now it sucks".

DoctorDisaster

Apr 14, 2009
I wouldn't say "remake SF64" but I would say abandon the third-person shooter levels, for the love of god. TPS is not a common acronym for a reason.

Also, much like Sonic, the franchise has a bad case of story bloat. About when they introduced the dinosaur planet they should have realized they were jumping the shark.

Although one aspect of SF64 I would really like to see reintroduced is the map system. Talk about replayability! It was such an elegant way to present worthwhile unlockable content and teach you the game that I'm surprised it isn't imitated more.