Miyamoto Wishes Star Fox Was More Popular

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
Maybe it would be more popular if you MADE MORE FUCKING STAR FOX GAMES!! I love Star Fox 64. It's one of the first games that I have owned. I have beaten it over and over again and I can still play threw it again and have as much fun as I did when I was just a little kid. I would really love to see a new Star Fox game on the Wii.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I miss the original Starfox. And the rings. THE RINGS!

... I think I'll download Starfox 64 eventually.

I can't beat Assault. The platforming levels make me dizzy. That and they're hard in controls.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
This might be because they canceled Star Fox 2 for SNES when it was done, and then made Star Fox Legends which as I understand it wasn't going to be a Star Fox game but they put him in it to make the game more familiar. Killing 2 potential ways to make him more known and popular

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
"You know what, Miyamoto-san? I see where you're coming from, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that perhaps the Star Fox series is underperforming because it hasn't had a good game since 19-freakin'-97! Gamers want to fly in an Arwing, use the boost to get through and do a barrel roll - they don't want to play some lame-ass on-foot platforming.

Give us another game where you're in a ship. The entire time. If you must put us on land, put us in a Landmaster tank. In short: Make a Star Fox game that doesn't suck, Miyamoto-san, and you might see the fans coming back to it."

ONE

HUNDRED

PERCENT.

That is all.

Thankfully, I only borrowed Starfox Assault from a friend to play it, and even then I was dissatisfied. He spent 50 dollars for it.

Terrible...

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
I like doing a barrel roll!

I haven't played any StarFox game since StarFox 64 (which I thought was pretty damn good). I got how they introduced platforming/shooting to the franchise, but unlike OP it seemed like a good idea to me. I often get frustrated with games (especially fighting games, but also StarFox) that have the basis for a really excellent story, but don't give much time to expository besides lengthy text scrolls after the opening credits and brief cutscenes. The addition of platforming gameplay seems like a good way to bring the story forward, because the characters can interact in ways other than ramming bombs and charge shots up each other's exhaust ports.

On the other hand, I can see how the platforming thing rubs fans of the original StarFox the wrong way because they were fans of the franchise specifically for the fast-paced exhaust port ramming action. Perhaps this is an instance of trying to please everyone and winding up not pleasing anyone.

You know what Miyamoto should do? He should keep both the platform/shooting action and the space battles, and make StarFox into an open-world type space sim, kind of like a GTA/Privateer thing.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
You know what, Miyamoto-san? I see where you're coming from, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that perhaps the Star Fox series is underperforming because it hasn't had a good game since 19-freakin'-97! Gamers want to fly in an Arwing, use the boost to get through and do a barrel roll - they don't want to play some lame-ass on-foot platforming.
Heej now, sure Star Fox Adventures wasn't a traditional Star Fox game, but it was far from bad. But I'd love to see a new, traditional Star Fox game, that's for sure.

But as everyone said already: make a damned game already!

atol

Jan 16, 2009
Silva said:
I'm sorry, but Arwings really look and feel terrible (not to mention derivative) when compared to an X-wing. Rogue Squadron did that type of gameplay so right that Nintendo would probably get lambasted for trying a space shooter because it "wasn't as good" as what Lucas Arts and Factor Five have come up with (and let's face it, it's an uphill battle to make it that good, there's been three RS games, and Star Fox hasn't gone there enough in the last few years).
That was my thought. Rogue Squardon basically replaced Star Fox. But now that Rogue Squadron is dead, I think Star Fox can make a comeback. I play through Star Fox 64 just about yearly, so even a graphical update/remake (yeah, another - Miyamoto basically does it with Zelda anyway) would appeal to me, but I realize they have to push the envelope several times to appeal to the masses. Epic has been redefined since the Arwing.

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
Am I the only here that thought Adventures and Assualt were actually good games when they were released? Oh well, Star Fox needs another game, hopefully on the Wii :D with Online Multiplayer :D and NO FRIEND CODES (But we all know the last one is going to never happen), but I agree with Miyamoto, Star Fox needs more fans.

Then they might make a new Star Fox game RIGHT, flying in a plane, shooting stuff down on linear or freeroaming paths :D

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
I thought adventures was an ok venture. Not great, as it had a few horrible design flaws. Manageable though.
Command was outright horrible though.
The story was pathetic. The gameplay was on a permanent timer which doesn't restore after each battle, (what is the point in trying if you have like 5 seconds to start the next battle and fail the overall mission if you fail.) The fact that you had to protect the main ship was unnecessary (as it revolved around me losing an hour of gameplay due to a cheap thing that kills the ship instantly.) The battles got boring, as they were bland and had no scripted events (something that i loved 64 for) and the controls got a bit infuriating, as i couldn't see though my hand to shoot things.
The missile sequences (one of the things that kill your mothership instantly) start off quite nice, before becoming a bit on the gliched part of the spectrum. It is not technically possible to even get some of the checkpoints that you HAVE to pass through because it is placed lower than physically possible to reach. Good job who ever made that game.

As said many times before, i feel if they made a game which is longer than the original but has the same branching system. It will be received with open arms by the gaming community.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Oo! Do I wanna play the tactics game that sucked, the Zelda Clone that sucked or the fighting on foot for half the damn game that sucked. Man tough decision.

If you want it to do well, bring it back to what it was made as.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I've always liked Star Fox, make some more games and I'll like it more.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
Silva said:
Trotgar said:
I liked Star Fox Adventures quite much.
So did I. It's really a shame that it wasn't appreciated more. Of course, I only rented it, but my memories of it were very pleasant indeed. Perhaps it was too short for people or something. That seems to be the biggest issue with Nintendo games lately.
Yep, I was surprised because so many people dislike the game. Well, maybe it's because they liked the original Star Foxes much, but I haven't played them, so I wasn't expecting or hoping flying that much.

But a little more flying sections wouldn't have been bad, because in Adventures they were done quite well.

EDIT: There were some annoying thing I remember, though. Like waiting for the little dinosaur (what wazzit name?), very simple combat and trading with the... well, whatever he was, was quite slow 'n all.

Feb 3, 2009
It's a shame that 90% of the people that actually play the Wii now would rather stand around on an overpriced weight scale....

We can only hope that the world sees sense.