Modders Recreate Halo Deathmatch in Minecraft

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Modders Recreate Halo Deathmatch in Minecraft

Halocraft takes the multiplayer deathmatch mode from Halo and makes it all blocky.

A group of creators have followed up on Minecraft's PvP implementation by modding a Halo [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296234201&sr=8-1] deathmatch mode into the title. Dubbed Halocraft, the mod features an actual Halo level, and actual Spartans running around shooting each other.

YouTube's SidolaTehNerd uploaded a video of the mod that shows him engaged in a deathmatch with another Minecraft player. They're running around a classic recreation of Halo 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-2-Xbox/dp/B00008J7NZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296234206&sr=8-1]'s Lockout map. Sidola added in textures and sounds to give it the proper feel.

Sidola says the mod is run on a "simple hMod server." It gives players a gun when they spawn and uses kits for an allotment of ammunition. To handle death, the server links multiple teleport locations to one point so it can randomly generate a spawn location.

It's examples like this that show exactly why Minecraft is so popular. Marcus "Notch" Persson and Mojang Specifications haven't finished the game yet, but its structure allows players to create just about anything they want to keep themselves entertained in the meantime. Halo multiplayer on the Xbox 360 might look better, but there's an appeal to the simpler Minecraft version too.

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/fa675/halo_minecraft_halocraft/]

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
I think Notch has actually said he doesn't want stuff like this happening, hasn't he? Mods that change the way the game works? Maybe I just read what he said wrong.

Either way, that's pretty damn cool, and would be hectic if you got a lot of people in there.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
That's pretty impressive. Minecraft is so open ended.

And addictive...must...stop...building giant castle 0_O

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Pandaman1911 said:
I think Notch has actually said he doesn't want stuff like this happening, hasn't he? Mods that change the way the game works? Maybe I just read what he said wrong.

Either way, that's pretty damn cool, and would be hectic if you got a lot of people in there.
It more that the only way to get mods implemented involves reverse engineering and hacking into his code. A Mod SDK is in the pipeline, presumably before formal release.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
As much as this game makes my blood boil this was very cool. Well done!

Now I'll be really impressed if they made Blood Gulch, with the proper vehicles.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Tom Goldman said:
...but its structure allows players to create just about anything they want to keep themselves entertained in the meantime...
As others have hinted at, this is not really true. The only modding that Minecraft currently supports is texture mods. However this hasn't stopped people from decompiling Minecraft and recompiling their own, "modded" versions of the game. Notch (creator of Minecraft) officially doesn't like or support this (as it is also, probably, illegal) but seems to tolerate it.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
i can see it now.
"La-de-da, just punchin' some trees so I can build myself a nice log ca- *BAM*"

Knowing me, the first thing I'd do upon getting Minecraft is to accidentally join this server.

Aaron.R

Jan 17, 2011
So, what they've done is taken what I understand to be a pretty unique and quirky game and used it to recreate one of the blandest and most streamlined experiences available in gaming? Time well spent.

blackguard89

Aug 5, 2010
SnipErlite said:
Minecraft is so open ended.

And addictive...must...stop...building giant castle 0_O
I second that.....though in ,my case it's more like "Must stop building Giant Fortress of doom, with a skull in front, mob traps, and all other stuff"

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Pandaman1911 said:

He's very clearly said he doesn't want any of the modded version problems ending up on his bug list. Other than that...

Korias

Sep 9, 2009
Does anyone know how to get a hold of these guys? As a modder, I'd love to ask these guys some questions.

RedRussian

Jun 7, 2010
Aaron.R said:
So, what they've done is taken what I understand to be a pretty unique and quirky game and used it to recreate one of the blandest and most streamlined experiences available in gaming? Time well spent.

Saw this post coming a mile away.

OP: good for them. Shows that minecraft is capable of making almost anything.