Modern Warfare 2 Trailer Criticized For "Going Too Far"

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
xavierxenon said:
So its ok to go blowing up the middle east, russia etc etc but not america? ¬_¬
It's just annoying American patriotism.
Seriously folks we need to realize that the USA is not invincible and something like that is entirely possible.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
As a U.S. citizen I have to say there's something morbidly awesome about watching DC or any other major city burn in hellish chaos. D.C., however, is probably my favorite to watch burn because it makes me think "Jesus tap-dancing Christ, I can only imagine how horrible this would be in real life". Plus there's just something poetic about imagery of D.C. burning with a severely damaged Washington Monument as the center point.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Caliostro said:
Malygris said:
The Christian Science Monitor [http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2009/10/05/modern-warfare-trailer-does-washington-burning-go-too-far/] [...]
.....Christian...SCIENCE...Ok if there going to contridict themselves pppppffftttt, I personally love'd the fact of post apocalypia, its something you don't get to do often....In this genre.....Often......Still looks good. Oh and personally I don't think its gone to far, I never think games go to far, but then you get fools like this who think "oh noo, violence....wait a cotton picking second is that...oh my spagetti hoops the white house, thats it im calling a crusade ahhhh"...yeah, I dont like these people.

Also im christian, and I have a science outlook on things, while going "God did that" but anyway I realise I contridct myself at the beginning but you know.....Meh.

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
Why is that going too far? Seriously... we've all seen movies in which a major western city, London, Paris, New york, has goten F.U.B.A.R. and the protagenists struggle to survive. So is it down to the fact that you're a soldier? Or that i could happen VERY soon in our fucked up little world? Besides, that looks very, very, cool.

Is anyone else worried that MW2 might end up, more like a 'James Bond' movie, instead of a 'Blackhawk down' type thing? You know Big booms over gritty realism? Though i suppose that, trailers so far may have been The biggest booms in the game put together.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
I declare this to be awesome and I loved the Cain and Abel reference. As for the complaining, crispy fuck. Then I read the Christian part and rolled my eyes so hard, I nearly had them photorealistically blast from my sockets...

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
A warzone in the Middle East?
Fine.

A warzone in Washington D.C.?
WOAH! TOO FAR!

I can understand that the man may still feel awkward about this sort of thing after 9/11, but it's not like doing it to another country isn't the exact same thing.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Christian science? Can anyone say irony?

Seriously though, does it really matter, it's depicting a real life location to use as a story base. I honestly don't see why that's a big deal

cobaltfram

Sep 3, 2009
Amnestic said:
cobaltfram said:
Where everyone uses "hoo-ah" as a comma.
I dunno if you made that up or if you're quoting someone else but that's genius. +1 for you sir.
I will admit, the comma thing is from Zero Punctuation's House of the Dead review, but I take full creative brilliance for the replacing of "mutherfucker" with "Hoo-Ah".

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
"The scenes of post-apocalyptic scenes of carnage play out not in some fictional town in eastern Europe, but in Washington D.C. itself."

What an ass, so I guess if it were taking place in Europe it would be okay then?

Smack-Ferret

Jul 14, 2009
Exocet said:
What about Tom Clancy's HAWX?
I was basically carpet bombing enemy tanks in DC and must have leveled every building in a one kilometer radius around the capitol building.No reference to that?

Could this be?Could this guy just want to be in the news?I most certainly think so.

Besides,how is seeing Washington ruined a bad thing?Hell,it gives the player a reason to hate the enemy and reinforces the player's patriotism.
Hell,when I'll play the game,I'll probably imagine myself in my country's capital defending my nation to the death.
If he thought about it for a second instead of screaming blasphemy and heresy,he could see that.
Oh good I wasn't the first one to say it.

somekindarobot

Jul 29, 2009
So apparently in the game D.C. is invaded by a foreign army and burned to the ground, not like that's the first time that's happened. I can basically chalk this form of thinking as similar to pre-WWII 20th century Japan. Like them, our mainland hasn't so much as seen a skirmish in nearly a century, and like them, a depiction of a bombing or battle on the mainland could strike many as very disturbing, as in the meantime we have half convinced ourselves that our respective countries were untouchable.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
To those unfamiliar with the meaning of "Christian Science" ... it's not what you think. It's much worse. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Christ,_Scientist]

Ironically though, their famous newspaper [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Christian_Science_Monitor] is a pretty standard secular publication. It's not like WorldNetDaily or some nonsense that's openly biased. This writer is just a nut. Most newspapers have at least one.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
So it would be absolutely fine if it was set in a ruined Eastern Euopean settlement filled with innocent peasants and villagers, but now that American soil is being represented harshly in a game, it's going too far?

Halfway through writing that, I thought I might be exaggerating, but no: that's what he's saying. What a tosser.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Hac NO! America is just not ready for the imagery of The White House under attack...

... oh

So was like 1996 too soon?

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Dont you fools get it? America Bombs your cities to the ground not the other way round, its a LAW!